Your Catchup Bucket

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
CureRainbow
State alchemist
State alchemist
Badges:
Worships: Magical girls
Melon Pan: 50
2016 Female Favorite: Kaname Madoka
2016 Male Favorite: Nanase Haruka
Wish: everyone to be ultra happy!

Re: Your Catchup Bucket

Post by CureRainbow » Sat May 28, 2016 8:07 am

Finally finished One Punch Man through a marathon after months of occasionally watching it through anime night~
One Punch ManShow
Oh man. Oh fucking man. Where do I begin with this?

This anime has been a wild ride from beginning to end. All of it. Originally I thought I would be bored of it when I saw a part of the first episode when it was leaked (but to be fair, it was raw so I had absolutely no clue what was going on). But now? Holy shit it was amazing. The action, the comedy, the interactions, everything.

Usually I hate characters who are already known to be OP and godlike. Those types of MCs make me cringe for the Gary Stu vibes they gave. *shudders at Shitba Tatsuya* But Saitama? Holy shit he's actually a fun guy. From a simple guy who wants to be a hero to an almighty hero through the most intense fucking training routine I've ever seen, he's impressive as hell. And his personality? I just love how he only gives a shit about his regular life outside of destroying people with his fists while not being an absolute douchebag unless necessary. Plus his relationship with Genos is 10/10.
Speaking of Genos, he's also really fun as Saitama's student! You can definitely see how Saitama influences him throughout the course of the series, even though he's still himself by the end of the day. I remember when I assumed he'd originally be a villain in this series (turns out that role was for GOTTAGOFAST Sonic instead), but it's good that he's simply a guy who wants to get stronger through the One Punch Man himself~

I'm a little confused with the role of the hero association, though. It did feel like it came almost out of nowhere by the end of episode 4 just to supposedly break from the original plot of the first few episodes. But that's just me, I suppose. I really like all of the heroes there, though, especially the sassy Tatsumaki (then again I don't recall one character that Yuuki Aoi has voiced that I disliked ahaha) and Silver Fang~ I wish we could've seen a little of who the 1st Rank of Class S was. What if he was a lazy fuck like Saitama is :lol:

But yeah tl;dr this anime is amazing, 10/10 would recommend
Many thanks to Hikarin for making the amazing Akari~n sig!~
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2017 Female Favorite: Kanbe Kotori
2017 Male Favorite: Sakamaki Izayoi
2016 Female Favorite: Hiiragi Shinoa
2016 Male Favorite: Sakamaki Izayoi

Post by RailWarrior » Sun May 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Durarara!!x2 Shou, TenShow
I don't remember if season 1 had this much narration, but said narration is getting confusing. Specifically, is the one doing the narration specially chosen? If so, am I somehow missing important links because I'm not always sure who the one narrating is?

Obligatory: My kuu. My dan. My Varona. My Kururi <3
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:02 am

Durarara!!x2 KetsuShow
Alright, this shit was definitely hella rushed; it's just a mess, really. Fuck it
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:07 pm

The [email protected] - Episode 1/I forgetShow
Well, that's an interesting take of the story. Effective character introduction as well as background introduction, but no plot yet.
At least not one noticeable for me. Well, still a long way.

Since there's no plot, there's nothing to comment about it yet.
But as for characters themselves... hmm they got a distinct perosnality, which is good. But other than that, it's pretty plain.
It's not "better than Love Live!" like what most [email protected] fans always say. They all give the same impression the girls of LL gave me when I first watched the show. They all work better as that girl that got raped then mind-break-ed in my hentai manga.
If there's one thing that might make [email protected] slightly better than LL... is the existence of a man among the main cast. A REAL MAN.

Well, episode 1. Still a long way to go.
Yoroshiku~
The [email protected] - Episode 8/20somethingShow
Story:
still waiting for a main plot.
The episodic plot itself is mediocre at best. Well, the right desc is: The idea of each plot line was good, and but the execution fails to do it good. They put too much emphasize on making sure the "outer charm" of each characters to show out thus making the supposed "inner charm" left untold.
It's not just about background & character development; I'm talking about playing out the personality of each character, right to their depth.
The only thing good about the execution is insertion of the songs. But as a SoL anime or moe moe anime, the execution is poor.

I'm going to take example of episode 3 (that episode where the agency goes to a village or some sort, Yukiho introduction episode.)
It's a Yukiho-centered episode, meant to properly introduce her; not just on her shyness & man-phobia personality, but also on the effort she puts to defeat all that and be able to do her job as an idol well.
What happens in the episode: half episode of joking around that isn't funny at all actually, 1/8 episode of Hibiki, Miki, and that girl whose name I forgot doing MC, 1/4 part of Producer x Yukiho, & 1/8 songs.
The important part here is the 1/4 part of Producer x Yukiho, separated into 2 parts: the first part is Producer & Yukiho doing pinky-swear, and the second part is after the show.
In those parts, we got loads of Producer doing the talking, trying to cheer Miki up. We also got depth to producer's personality. but we don't get enough depth of Yukiho, as that pinky-promise turns into a plot device which suddenly Yukiho decides to brave herself. There's no Yukiho monologue of "Why am I afraid" or "I want to be braver".
If only there's any, the pinky-promise won't be as OP as it is, and we would get that gap moe from we usually get from Yukiho's archetype: the dandere that tries to be brave.
But there's none, thus Yukiho remain boring and annoying with her screams. -_-

All of the other episodes were also poor: Chihaya episode (the cooking show episode, same case as above,) the beach holiday episode (which most important point supposedly is showing the closeness of everyone with each other,) Ryuuguu Komachi episode (it's too concentrated on the producer. He has loads of characterization & solid development, but the idols... don't have a solid base for their development... other than Miki.)

Most of the jokes aren't funny either. Too reliant on the "outer charm" instead of personality. It's a rather poor comedy anime. It's a mediocre SoL moe anime. (KanColle, Hai-furi, what else? yeah, that's the comparison. Even LL! is better on this element.)

Characters:
Haruka is shit. She looks like that kind girlfriend that would later netorare the man.
Ami & Mami is shit. They look like that supporting character that will have no real implications to the main plot.
Hibiki is very good for a supporting character in a big series, but she'll never be big enough as a main heroine. (She reminds me a lot of ShnY's Tsuruya. A spin-off is what she gets best.)
Yukiho is shit. Very boring dandere character.
Miki is a goddess. <3 Still, she suffers the same lack of depth thing. (Maybe if there's a proper background, it can change.)
Makoto is side character, but who knows? She seems decent tbh, but there's not enough involvement for her.
Chihaya is shit. But Asami Imai is a goddess. <3 Simply her voice gives Chihaya a sense of depth. (even though in reality she (Chihaya) isn't.)
Iori is KugiRie standard character.
Azusa is boring.
Takane is boring.
Yayoi... I even forgot her name before. That tells how lacking her involvement is.
Ritsuko looks like good material.
Producer is mint. He's a very good character. But that comes at the cost of everyone else turning shit.

Songs:
Standard. All Chihaya songs (Asami Imai songs) are good, though. :)

Dance:
Some are very shit. Even GochiUsa S2 ED's moe moe simple choreography is much better.
But some are the real deal! My fav is Ryuuguu Komachi's Smoky Thrill. The choreography really gives the group a pro feeling.
This huge gap in quality... is pretty funny.
The [email protected] - Episode 12/20somethingShow
First: apparently I missed Yayoi's episode when I wrote the content above this.
So, here are short reviews and my opinions of each episode up til what I've watched since last post:
Ep 7: Nice characterization of Yayoi. I'm happy that the series improved from previously.
Ep 9: Chaotic episode, in a good way. But the twin are boring, tbh. Great ED song, btw. :3
Ep 10: Fan service episode, plus introduction to the actual side chara. Hmm... it's an okay episode.
Ep 11: Nice progress to the main plot. Nice characterization. But Haruka is boring. (same case as lots of the girls.) But the final part is great. And also the insert song is nice.
Ep 12: While main plot itself stuck, the rest are great. Nice characterization once again, I feel like the series finally settling up to a stable level of quality. But best thing for me is that this is a Miki episode. And she's an absolute goddess! <3
The [email protected] - Episode 013Show
Hoshii "Madonna" Miki <3

Plus that ED... I fall in love with it?
Last edited by Reverend on Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Domi
Dango
Dango
Worships: Momo Belia Deviluke
Wish: That everyone gets along and not arguing.

Post by Domi » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:42 am

Working!!! + SpecialShow
Ok first of all: Out of the three seasons this was the best one. Why? Easily because there is finally some cool development going on
instead of recycling the same old jokes over and over again. As much as I like how the characters interact, the jokes are getting boring when they repeat too much.
I didn't even expected it to take a more serious turn and it was executed well. Souta and Yachiyo make a great couple. I actually liked that pairing way more than Takanashi x Minami
throughout the series. The special was a fine ending for the series. You simply feel satisfied with what you saw and it leaves you with no regrets.
Domi
Dango
Dango

Post by Domi » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Seiyu's Life!Show
Really cute and kind of educational show I was watching over a longer span now since I only did watch a few episodes at a time. It teaches you a lot about voice actors and how their daily routine is, on what they do at work, how an actor gets a role and so on. It is quite informative in that aspect and I really liked that they turned real persons into Anime characters (e.g. Horie Yui, Tamura Yukari and many many others) and they were even voiced by the actual voice actor! The main characters (Earphones), are all very cute in their own way and it is fun to watch them interact. Especially Moesaki Ichigo is really cute and my favorite girl of the series.

The downside to it all is, that it does look fine but not overwhelming. Furthermore, while it is indeed enjoyable it is nothing outstanding either, because it doesn't have a grande storytelling or anything which should be self-explanatory though.

The songs used were also really cute. Loved the concert at the end, I just am a bit salty that it wasn't longer and we couldn't hear more of the songs. Overall I would say this is something to be watched from time to time and it will be enjoyable.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:08 pm

Really have to write a separate post for this one
The [email protected] - Episode 014. 16, 17, 18, and probably the other…Show
Damn Producer-san, can we trade place? I want Miki to call me honey, too :3

The rest of the episodes feel like VN adaptation. Decent-to-great characterization of each girls, which is good, but the main plot itself is lacking. I seriously don't care about this antagonist, he feels so boring. It's not about his absolute evil character archetype. But more because of the moves he pulls is pretty "over-the-boardly hoammhh" and very B-level movie twist, which is so amateurish even I can write such plot line.
The [email protected] - Episode 015Show
Best episode of the series, and probably of the whole [email protected] franchise! <3
It has everything:
- Great format.
- Great & smartly-inserted comedy.
- Superb characterization for everyone.
- An underlying yet solid plot development contribution to the whole series (in Chihaya.)
- More great comedy.
- Parody.
- Most importantly: Miki being dream girlfriend material. <3

I would rate [email protected] a 7 as it is, but this episode itself deserves a 10 no, an 11...
Refreshing every time I watch it. Definitely 2 or 3 levels above the rest of the series.
I've been watching this one episode for like... the tenth time, maybe? And I laugh and fawn over Miki every time.
It's an episode that deserves to stand alongside other super great comedy series. (Unlike the whole series itself. -,-)

Miki, please, more "honey" :3
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
shadowhunter
~Shadow Crafter~
~Shadow Crafter~
Badges:
Melon Pan: 63

Post by shadowhunter » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:13 pm

Owari no Seraph - OVAShow
Retrospective OVA between first and second season.
Kinda sad plot. Yu-san and Shinoa are decent as always!
It was good to see them again, because there's low chances for S3.
Rating: 7,5/10.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:12 pm

Reverend wrote:
Best episode of the series, and probably of the whole [email protected] franchise! <3
It has everything:
- Great format.
- An underlying yet solid plot development contribution to the whole series (in Chihaya.)
- More great comedy.
- Parody.

I would rate [email protected] a 7 as it is, but this episode itself deserves a 10 no, an 11...
Refreshing every time I watch it. Definitely 2 or 3 levels above the rest of the series.
I've been watching this one episode for like... the tenth time, maybe? And I laugh and fawn over Miki every time.
It's an episode that deserves to stand alongside other super great comedy series. (Unlike the whole series itself. -,-)

SpoilerShow
I also enjoyed Miki's episodes, but Chihaya's final episode (20?) was a cut above the rest IMO. I rewatch the end of that one every few days and sometimes 'it's raining'.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:55 pm

Bastion wrote:
Reverend wrote:
It has everything:
- Great format.
- More great comedy.
- Parody.

SpoilerShow
I also enjoyed Miki's episodes, but Chihaya's final episode (20?) was a cut above the rest IMO. I rewatch the end of that one every few days and sometimes 'it's raining'.
SpoilerShow
I watched Chihaya part first before watching the rest of the series, actually :lol:
well, it was good, but not exactly "great" in my book.
Nice characterization for Chihaya, but imo it doesn't stand above the rest.
But Nemuri Hime is cool!
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:54 am

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes - Episode 1/12Show
Beautiful piece of art. Boring entertainment.

The punch-line of each joke (except the final joke, which I will mention later) is one problem here. It's either too absurd, or not absurd enough, but it was delivered in an absurd way as if it is an absurd comedy type.
Like that repetitive accident of Henrietta not getting recognized by the Tanteis. Who the hell is this Coron-chan? How do you expect us to laugh when she just suddenly shows up like some stupid pervert with forced cheerfulness? But first: we don't even know this Henrietta girl yet, you expect us to laugh at her lack of presence, already? -_-
The comedy feels a bit like Onigiri... except Onigiri actually meant all that as sarcasm which is mint, while this doesn't.

Another problem is the half-arsed accentuation of sexual features.
Did you guys want to do moe absurd comedy x SoL, or ecchi? -_-

But biggest problem is how they tried too hard in introducing everything in +20 min.
I mean: I got it, their "secret message" about what the ability of each of our main girls really is, and about what probably happened prior the series' start. But people who is not used to watching lots of shows and criticizing them won't get it at all!
Stable pace, but still horrible choice of pace. (*checks MAL* *finds JC Staff* shit.)

Other than that, it's beautiful art. But boring entertainment.
The dance scene is sublime. Very beautiful!
The voicing are great. The SFX are great. The BGM and insert songs are just beautiful.

But the best thing for me from this episode is the final punch line joke which wouldn't work at me if I am not the current me: How Arsen- oops I mean Henrietta won bcs of her big and bouncy boobs, which captivated the background but not the cast of the series. It's a pretty self-depreciating joke to most of this show's watchers, which probably are lolicon. It's like the director is saying as representative of the whole lolicon watchers: "Ah it's difficult being a lolicon, is it? The mass just won't understand its charm; the charm of a flat chest."

Would be great of they removed all the things I mentioned above, bcs tbh, the opera-like format it offers is beautiful and normally I would have really enjoyed it.
Lots of improvement need to be made, though probably there won't be any. Because it's JC.

Expecting the rest of the episodes to be like this. ._.
Fuck JC.
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isshiki Iroha
Melon Pan: 0
2017 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2017 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
2016 Female Favorite: Inaba Himeko
2016 Male Favorite: Kanda Sorata
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Post by smartboyhw » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:41 pm

Charlotte (END except OVA)Show
Marathoned the series in a very quick pace for reasons.

8/10, mainly because it's... less exciting than I expected. Good premise though on superpower ethics and stuff.

Also,

NAO IS MOE

Probably would just rank under Nanami, so that's pretty high in my list. Yusa is great also. Unfortunately I don't like Yuu much.
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:
Melon Pan: 55
2017 Female Favorite: Katō Megumi
2017 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma
2016 Female Favorite: Shana
2016 Male Favorite: Araragi Koyomi

Post by Homura » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:55 pm

Gintama season 3 ep. 36Show
I never never expected there will be a fight between Sougo and Kamui. I usually thought the person going to fight with Kamui would be Kaguya (maybe this is still too early for the two). I'm really excited to see how the awesome fight will turn out. Finally, after almost 4 years I'm back to Gintama.
Note: Heavy spoiler!
Domi
Dango
Dango

Post by Domi » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:57 pm

smartboyhw wrote:

8/10, mainly because it's... less exciting than I expected. Good premise though on superpower ethics and stuff.

Also,

NAO IS MOE

Probably would just rank under Nanami, so that's pretty high in my list. Yusa is great also. Unfortunately I don't like Yuu much.
SpoilerShow
Wow I can't believe it. An opinion about Charlotte without using the word "Trainwreck". o.o
Despite how I dislike the rushed ending I just can't deny it was a magnificent show overall.
Gave it the same score.
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isshiki Iroha
2017 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2017 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
2016 Female Favorite: Inaba Himeko
2016 Male Favorite: Kanda Sorata
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Post by smartboyhw » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Domi wrote:
smartboyhw wrote:

Also,

NAO IS MOE

SpoilerShow
Wow I can't believe it. An opinion about Charlotte without using the word "Trainwreck". o.o
Despite how I dislike the rushed ending I just can't deny it was a magnificent show overall.
Gave it the same score.
SpoilerShow
Well, as long as the ending makes sense to me, I don't use the word "trainwreck", and while I believe the ending should have gone more on Nao's feelings as a compliment before Yuu lost his memory, it isn't "trainwreck".
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:59 pm

Charlotte commentShow
I still stand by my opinion that Charlotte is perfect the way it is. I felt it was pretty clear Maeda intended to tell the story from a single perspective, and that's part of what made the show so enjoyable for me. We know only what Yuu knows; even in episode 6 when there's a perspective change to Ayumi, Yuu had also experienced those events if we take into account the later time leap. Exploring Nao's feelings would undermine that intention.
Just
[Kiwi's Melon]
[Kiwi's Melon]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
2017 Female Favorite: Shiodome Miuna
2017 Male Favorite: Hikigaya Hachiman
2016 Female Favorite: Shiodome Miuna
2016 Male Favorite: Otosaka Yū
Wish: May children never suffer.

Post by Just » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:05 pm

CharlotteShow
I like Charlotte 0 0 I like both Yuu and Nao 0 0 The ending was slightly anticlimactic because the main part was so good... But not bad.

I agree with what Rail said. This is Yuu's story, and I have no problem with that. I like Yuu.

I gave 7/10
SpoilerShow
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:48 am

Got tired of Tantei
Watch: Amagami SS
Amagami SS - Haruka Route (Episode 1-4)Show
Episode 1:
Well, it's more like a rewatch. I've watched this years ago... back during the days of K-On!
Never went past first episode. Got bored.

Now I have more knowledge, I think I finally I understand why I got bored.
The art style... can be more active & comical.
The realistic visual take is beautiful for the landscape & background etc.
But it's bad for the whole moe moe shit (or, in my term, "characterization".)
The expression could have been more active. The girls could have looked more active. The story... could actually exist. ^^;

I get a feeling I should be playing this instead.

This Haruka bitch btw. -_-
Itou Shizuka at her best, again.

Episode 2 update:
I understand what's missing from Haruka: she's not Haruhi.
Haruhi darudere smug moe and funny. Haruka is simply plot-armored.
(well, at least as far as I have watched.)

btw, I've finally found Nao Touyama's reference for Kongou Onee-Sama.
That "Okie dokie" is just brilliant!

Episode 3 update:
Alone together in a shed... Where's my sex scene!? -_-

Btw, this is another episode where I'd like to criticize the "too-realistic" art style.
The scene where Tachibana said he wants to kiss the back of Haruka's knee (before actually doing it)... it supposed to be funny and comical, yes?
I'd like to compare this with KonoSuba, one anime that has horrible art but very great comical approach of each jokes.
How the horrible art of KonoSuba successfully played the brilliance of the comedy there, turning such small adaptation project into nation-wide (and community-wide) hype that is much much more profiting to its creators than the likes of BokuDake & Grimgar.
Same case here: you got a joke, your visual style needs to be able to support it. Else... it'll fail.

Damn this Junichi dude btw ^^;

Episode 4:
Just insert some random background story and... Haruka END.

OMFG that "Eh... are you fine with it, senpai?" from Maeno Tomoaki!
Great voice work!

btw WHERE'S MY SEX SCENE!?
Enough with this implication shit!
Even Tsukihime anime at least did the sex scene right!
Shit is it that hard to get a sex scene in non-porn anime?
This is an after-night anime anyway, with or without it. Why not do it properly?
F*CK*NG MOR(ON)ALITY!
Amagami SS - Kaoru route (Episode 5-8)Show
Heuh the tomboyish best friend route, huh?
There's only one thing missing from Kaoru: she's not as cute as Fujibayashi Kyou. Nowhere near Fujibayashi Kyou.
Well, let's see if there's anything in store here.

Hmm generic buddies-to-lovers love story, it seems.
But at least the heroine looks much more fun than the prev.
Junichi looks much more fun here, too.

But looking at history: ah this will probably be rushed up and boring like prev.
Well, yoroshiku~

After watching episode 5: Episode 5 is a proper episode.
(partly because Kaoru has better characterization. But there's also the part of Haruka only getting her romance in first episode and her background in her final episode, while Kaoru got her background plus the romance in one episode.)
Hmm...

Episode 6:
I'm still looking for my sex scene. ^^;

Wow the ending, though. 0 0
Very unexpected.

Will Kaoru be saved? Will Kaoru be saved!?

Episode 7:
There's only one thing missing here: a flashback of Kaoru's past.

Well, and maybe more sweet things.
This romance needs more romance to make it a romance.
More reason for both Junichi & Kaoru to progress the relationship.

And stop trying to involve all the girls in every arc!

Heuh they skipped the whole standard relationship building.
Well, time limit.

Episode 8:
Yes! Now that is a proper dating sim kiss.
But something is missing... hmm how about a proper transition from buddy to romantic couple?
The prev part only underlines their strong "relying on each other" thing, but doesn't really give a solid transition for the two to decide to be a couple.
The only thing I got is: "Huh why do I feel this way? Did I fall in love with him/her?" thing. ._.

And I thought Plastic Memories can't be shittier.
Turns out it was more on the superb side, Plastic Memories.

The "Silent Night" BGM is sick, btw.
Amagami SS - Sae route (Episode 9- 12)Show
Episode 9:
lol the 4th-wall breaking :lol:
the narrator is just sick!

DAMN THE NARRATOR STEALS THE SHOW! :lol:

Sae arc overall:
Best route so far. Kaoru can have depth, but this one... is a step above the rest so far. Unlike the rest, this one actually sucks me in, and gives me great entertainment.
No depth, nothing-more-than-necessary background, but still the best.
Simple, but most romantic. The lightness of the content is what makes it the most enjoyable.
But the best thing is the narrating.
The funniest route gets funnier. Great addition!

Still, WHERE'S MY SEX SCENE!?
Amagami SS - Ai route (Episode 13-16Show
God I can't start this route.
Sae route was just so good :3

Episode 13:
Oh the 2nd OP is mint. Plus that makes like Sae route a very good end to the first season. Great great.

Hmm
They keep the comedic approach, which is good.
But the story looks plain and the jokes less fun than Sae, but this is just 1st part.
Oh wait let me take that back a moment, the "win a trip to Hawaii" is sick! :lol:
But the romance seems pretty forced. As forced as Haruka. Hmm well, typical dating sims. The girl is always forward isn't wrong, but that doesn't mean it will always work.
Depends on if the foundation of the relationship is strong enough. Absurd is fine, as long it exists.
Ai route as it is, has no base for a romantic feeling to blossom. (At the least Haruka has that, even if it's forced.)
So this will need to work on that.

Nanasaki Ai herself, though... what sub-troupe is she? I thought she's a kuu, but she's too cheerful as it is.
Usually kuu turned kuu because of something. Hmm...
But still, she's too cheerful and too dere to be a kuu. deredere? kuu x deredere?
And she's not a double like Tsukiko, either.
hmm... interesting.

Update after I finished her route (Episode 016):
What the hell is this?
Pro:
+ the insert songs are nice.

Con:
- Everything else.
There's no proper story. That brother of Ai that is mentioned a number of times (Koutaro, was it?) don't make an appearances.
There's a personal hot bath scene and the confession happens there but no sex scene (enough with this "implying" shit!)
No better than Haruka route. Huh...

Btw, Ai is a kuu. Definitely.
Dating sims play with the dere part too much, making the kuu quality missing.
Amagami SS - Rihoko Route (Episode 17- 20)Show
A true osananajimi route = unwinnable route.
Wow. Seriously not expecting that.
And it's actually pretty cute route, too.
Not as entertaining nor as cute as Sae, but the carefree Rihoko is very nice to watch.
The jokes are also pretty not expected.
Like that part where Rihoko got stuck in a fence hole :lol:
Really reminds me of Winnie the Pooh, which I think is the closest character in existence you can compare Rihoko, too.
That makes the route... gives a very Winnie the Pooh-ish SoL, instead of standard anime SoL, which is very very refreshing.
A story about friendship between a girl and a boy, in which the girl keeps her unrequited love. Yet, no tearjerker. All happy and light-hearted. Awww...
Amagami SS - Tsukasa Route (Episode 21-24)Show
I'm starting Tsukasa route first.

I ended up watching it anyway.
Oh, that's a decent tsuntsun romance. I would have loved it if they show more of what happens between Junichiro & Tsukasa while Tsukasa is on Fake mode.
Junichiro has been stable-ly becoming and becoming more of an enjoyable hero as the series progress, and as this is the final arc, I find his character here to be mint.
Tsukasa doesn't really stand out to me, as a tsuntsun, and also as one of the heroines, mainly because I get this feeling that lots of Tsukasa tsuntsun moe moments were cut out of the anime, leaving out all her forwardness.
Well, at least she's enjoyable. So at least I can enjoy the story, too.

One more thing needs adressing is the fact that they ignored the whole Tsukasa family problem thing.
I know that her dislike of her family started out at the moment Tsukasa lost her christmas meaning as a child (Momma kissing Santa Claus, heh?) but to leave it unsolved... feels disappointing, actually.
Well, limit of 4 episodes.
/spoiler]
Amagami SS - Kamizaki Risa secret route (Episode 25)Show
Wow wow wow wow this girl's a true fighter.
She actually went as far as killing her love's "market value."

Wow long lost osananajimi.
A fan service to the osananajimi fans who probably dissatisfied with the outcome of Rihoko route?

Seriously, they should make just make a full arc of this.
A proper story of this would at least be better than Haruka & Ai route.
While the idea is pretty simple, it offers as much romance & drama & twist as Tsukasa route, and the satisfying ending that is the praise for this anime from most of its fans.
At the least, this would be better than Haruka & Ai route, and possibly Rihoko & Kaoru route, as well.

Amagami SS - Best Route Meter (no rant)Show
Haruka Route: 55/100. Since I'm kind, I'll probably treats this as 60.
Kaoru Route: 65/100. Drama. Lack romance.
Sae route: 90/100. HnG-esque. Simply magnificent!
Ai route: 50/100. No better than Haruka, but I enjoyed Haruka route more despite her "feels fake" naive character. I don't know. I just think Ai should have been a more proper kuu. Plus Haruka is cuter (my taste, of course.)
Rihoko route: 80/100. I'm not expecting something like this to happen. Maybe if the whole Rihoko route is a single season anime, give it an episodic plot, it would have been one hell of a SoL romance anime. Too bad it's just 4 episodes.
Tsukasa route: 75/100. Nice balance between romance & drama. But being enjoyable is the best it can give me. It's not good enough to make me give my usual "8 is good." +5 for that epilogue of short-haired Tsukasa. She's more beautiful that way. Love the christmas family spirit there, also.
Amagami SS - Best Girl MeterShow
Haruka: 65/100
Prettiest of all. There's only one problem: she feels fake.
Normally I would have blamed the Seiyuu, but this time Itou Shizuka is using her Hinagiku voice which is proven successful. Plus, I don't think she can't do the lines any better. So it's more to the choice of words in the script, as well as the composition of the series in overall. Well... Hmm.

Well, back to the dimension, that fakeness may annoy people who are not immediately blinded by her charm.
And her tendency to say no to anyone that confesses can give her a "secretly arrogant" outlook to people who doesn't know her.
Behind that is the standard teenage girl. The depth is what you expect out of them. Nothing special.
Plus point: once you win her, little chance you'll lose her. She's too thick-headed to receive another male in her head but you.
So... 40, but she's at least a 90 once you win her. Problem is: how do you win her? irl, loving her is like a trophy: passed away by people around, but no one can actually lay forever claim on her. And that trophy status would turn her image to be a bitch who plays around with boys (even though she doesn't,) which is poor to her.
That makes winning her less worthy, unless you're looking at the serious side aka looking for a wife.
But it's a handful, actual teenage boy, high school age, who is truly looking for a wife at such age. Most just spouts bullshit.

Since the setting is high school, that makes her worth 65 at most. (I can't score less. She's too pretty.)
Girls like her... probably will end up marrying some older, established salary man (thus her first rejection of "I prefer older men." is justified :lol:)

But well, if there's somebody like her in real life who is as cute (or even more cute) than her and has the same personality, I'll probably go for her.
Since she's cute. That's all that matters. (When you're some ugly dude like me, you have to find a good-looking wife... or not marrying at all. Else there won't be genetic repair. Either save the human race... or dying while sparing it from more ugliness.)

Kaoru: 70/100
That tomboyish personality + her outlook would drive people away, actually. She's nowhere near cute.
But the depth in her is perfect! It gives the tomboyish fetish owner just the thing he would have expected when he started playing her route.
Plus she's a hard-worker, sensitive towards other, and a very fun talking friend.
A very fun partner to have for all age, in all dimension. Whether you're playing as an eroge or you somehow gets inside Amagami Secret Story and chose to trigger the flag to her route.

But she's not cute, so -5. :P

Sae: 85!/100
The standard dandere x deredere cross.
Dem boobs are lure to lots of guys. (In reality, those people who claim to be lolicon, only few people who are lolicon in anime and in real life at the same time. (not to mention that finding the perfect "graciously flat-chested" in real life is difficult.))
Her shy personality can make her seems hard to approach and worse, misunderstood by people.
But her surprising forwardness plays out her charm the best way to her, which is typical of this troupe (and the anime actually played on this. Death by Moe... damn can I have them?)
Plus you get to keep playing the "handsome prince in her view" all the time which makes approaching her easy.
Plus, she's cute.
Plus she can sew such wedding dress, which implicitly said she's decent at housework, at least.

The bad side is that if there's actually a real life Nakata Sae, be assured that you're not the only one aiming for her.
Competition guaranteed. Real competition, not just trophy.
Keeping her would be difficult as fuck. Thanks to her indecisiveness.

And also... her choice of male sucks. DAMN GIRL I CAN BE A MUCH BETTER MAN THAN THAT DUDE!?

Oh god dem curves.
Who gives a damn about competition. Bring it on!
85!

Ai: 50/100
She's cute, actually.
But there's only one thing confusing: is she meant to be a kuudere, or deredere?
I think it's the former, which makes me give the score. She's too dere to be a kuu.
But well, until I somehow manage to completely understand her, the score stays.

Rihoko: 100/100
Alright, I believe that Rihoko is a cutie with lots of interests going on her.
Even in real life, carefree, kinda stupid, but cute girls like her would be "secretly hot stuff"
75, at least.

Actually, if it's real life, I would have given Rihoko a 100.
Because her character is precisely like of the "outer figure" of the only girl I ever loved and will ever love. :(
Carefree, loves to eat, kinda childish, but her mind is of a teenager.

Shit I need to find a dark corner to cry at. :'(
Here's a +25 from me, Rihoko.
You will never be my fav, Rihoko, because you only possess her outer personality & her lazy but helpful quality & her "heart of a maiden".
You lack the music skill, the naive but honest and pure idealism, her funnily talk-active personality and her whole true personality that is on her inside. (Yumemi will always be the only one that can come closest to her.)
But since you did somehow make me cry again, you at least deserve that.

Tsukasa: 65/100
The hidden tsuntsun troupe means double gap moe. The first gap moe is when you find out she's a tsuntsun. The second gap moe is when her dere side actually comes out.
But the hidden tsuntsun isn't a really appealing troupe irl. Like: imagine the disappointment of a man who actually goes for a hidden tsuntsun. It would feel like a trap.
Tsukasa is pretty standard tsuntsun, tbh. But one thing that I like from her is that she has a dream, and she's fighting for it with everything she got. Girls like that usually scores high in my book.
Hmm... no idea what's the score, tbh.
- This girl definitely has self-security problem. I mean: there won't be a plot if she had realized from the start that Junichiro was saying she should apologize for the general good, not to corner her. How the story develops also shows her lack of trust even to Junichiro, the man she loves. (but well, that "trust becomes complete" is the end point of the story.)
- Girl with security problem are fun to conquer but no fun to keep, to me at least. Because she'll be tsun to you all the time and gets jealous easily even at the slightest unfavorable hint.
- But the best part of a tsuntsun is that they rarely betray you, and even if they did, you can sniff it out asap. Tsuntsun can't lie to the ones he/she loves and loves him/her back. That was the charm of a tsun troupe. (The best liars are dans, btw.)
This girl definitely belongs to that class of tsuntsun that can't lie to the ones she loves. That's why she chose to be rude to her family, instead.
- This girl at least has brain. She knows how to play her aura of reliability.
- This girl is clearly not designed to be cute, or to have any gap moe in her physical appearance. She's standard anime cute, which means she isn't to the characters in anime. Hmm.

I guess 65 is fine.
She's not as fun as Kaoru, so can't give the same score.
But she's definitely feels more real than Haruka.

ps.: But well, I'm sure somebody will still go for real life hidden tsuntsun. My Dad loves to tell stories from back when he's dating my Mom, and as much as I can collect: she's a tsuntsun and he didn't know. And somehow he still went for her anyway. ^^;

The one episode anime girls:
- Kamizaki Risa: 75/100
She's not yan enough to be a yan, but it's fine. Who wants to see one of the heroines bringing knifes here and there kill other heroines in this kind of a peaceful setting?
Her possessive trait is enough to classify her as a yan.

A pretty enjoyable heroine, whom I wouldn't mind dating if I met someone as cute as her irl.
Yandere are known for their depth. Thus she possesses most depth, at least compared to other heroines.
She seems to be able to cook, extra good point.
The only big problem is that her possessiveness might restrict you in making any real contact with any girl acquaintances. She'll get jealous almost immediately, then buries it deep inside her heart, making you have to guess time and time again whether you've done something wrong or not to her.

But she looks like Myaano. Which definitely means I think she's one of the cuter girls.
But she's not exactly Myaano. Her design would have been much better if she's like Myaano (a legal loli.)
And I don't think she should score more than Sae (Sae still satisfy me more as a girlfriend in a dating sims and as a character in an anime.)
She's at least as good as Rihoko, so well... 75?
I'll do the ratings later.
Last edited by Reverend on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:
Melon Pan: 55
2017 Female Favorite: Katō Megumi
2017 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma
2016 Female Favorite: Shana
2016 Male Favorite: Araragi Koyomi

Post by Homura » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:58 pm

Gintama season 3Show
Nobume and Isaborou have been a lovely pair for me. I'm glad to have known the backstory between the two and eventually understand how they see each other, but that all makes me sad when I'm done with the season. Hope there can be another season of Gintama next year.
Domi
Dango
Dango

Post by Domi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:55 am

Berserk 1-25Show
Watched this because of more Berserk coming now in summer. The Anime started off really good and despite being really old it didn't look too bad. Guts is a very good main character with a superb development throughout the series. I never liked Griffith though, mostly because of his twisted personality. Casca also has a great development, although it felt really quick in the middle of the series. The fight scenes are good, they basically are Guts, Griffith or Casca being OP and slashing everything, which can be a bit repetitive. What I don't like is where the story went towards the end. It became more and more fucked up until everything was lost at the point where Griffith awakens. It wasn't badly done, I just didn't expect that overly traumatic end and it happened so quickly. The open ending makes you hungry for more content so thank god I will get some soon. 8/10
Seikon no Qwaser 1-24Show
This is the best choice when looking for a very dumb story which never takes itself serious and rises to the point of being absolutely cringeworthy quite a lot of times. The fact that Qwasers get their powers from women's breasts should be enough to prove said point. Even though the tons of ecchi is the bread and butter of the series, it kind of made it really bad aswell. Qwasers need to suck breasts to get their power, hence basically every fight scene contains a moment where breasts are flashing and someone is sucking on them. Sometimes the fights were not even bad at all, but for the sake of having some tits on the screen, they mostly get dull.

I didn't like most of the characters. They're basically just tools for Sasha to gain power and except Mafuyu they don't really get a good treatment throughout the show. The antagonists are just a bunch of edgy and pretentious people which are so annoying from time to time that you simply wish that Sasha or Katja beat them to a pulp really fast so they shut up.

The ending of the series was kind of what I expected. It kind of leaves room for more (duh, well of course it does there is a second season already out) but at the same time it feels normal and doesn't leave you particular unsatisfied. Overall, this show is bad, but isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If you stop thinking too much while watching and only focus on the plot ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) then it is kind of endurable and enjoyable from time to time. 4/10
Mahou Sensou 1-12Show
There are so many things that went wrong with this show, that I don't even know where to begin. First of all the pacing is absolutely horrible! Everything is so rushed which just leaves you confused from time to time. There are moments where you finish one episode and the next one starts off somewhere entirely different than where the previous episode ended. Also, due to being so rushed there are a lot of things being unclear or unexplained which were key to understanding the plot. In fact, what you do while watching is taking all the brackets you understand and somehow forming them together to a whole. After doing a bit of research I read that there were like 7 light novel volumes adapted into a 12 episode show, which should be obvious that it doesn't work given how long a light novel volume is.

The funnies thing of them all is how the Anime starts. Takeshi finding some girl collapsed on his school campus, brings her to the nurses office and when she woke up she was so flustered that she shot at Takeshi with her gun accidentally turning him into a magician. And to make it even greater all his close friends are also turned into magicians. Like what the fuck? This is probably one of the worst introductions of a series just to get a plot going. And the overly dissatisfying ending even tops it. The ending wasn't even that bad until the point where they decide to make a random time slip without any explanation and an open ending which leaves you puzzled. Even the light novel author himself says it was a really bad idea to let Mahou Sensou being animated, which should speak for itself.

Furthermore, the characters were awfully bland and you couldn't really sympathize with any of them. Takeshi's brother Gekkou was just a whiny edgelord which made you angry everytime he said something because of all the edgy shit he spouts.

The animations started off not too bad in the first episode. The first fight was decent animated, probably to keep people watching, because from that point the animations become worse and worse and there were a lot more stills used.

But after all that rant there have to be some good points. What I liked were the few bits after the introduction, for example the arc with saving Mui's brother. That wasn't all too bad and entertaining before it went really shitty again. Also I like the opening and ending song which are really good and a waste for a show like this. 3/10