Your Catchup Bucket

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
shadowhunter
~Shadow Crafter~
~Shadow Crafter~
Badges:
Melon Pan: 63

Re: Your Catchup Bucket

Post by shadowhunter » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Amagami SS PlusShow
This should be watched for two extra episodes with Kaoru!
Points for routes:
Tsukasa - 8/10, Rihoko - 7/10, Ai - 6/10, Sae - 5/10, Haruka - 6/10, Kaoru - 13/10.
Overall - 8/10.
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episodes 11-16Show
I was reminded why I like Touma and Misaka.
Incredible episodes.
Maybe the anime industry needs third season of Index/Railgun?
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:
Melon Pan: 55
2019 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2019 Male Favorite: Levi
2018 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2018 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma
2017 Female Favorite: Katō Megumi
2017 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma

Post by Homura » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Re: Zero Episode 13Show
I extremely like this episode. It saved my nerve, which had been on the verge of breaking down for quite a while. Thanks god, such an in-time remedy for my rage, even if a temporary one.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:30 am

Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai - Episode 001-004Show
Can somebody tell me what the story is?
I don't mind with all the boobs and panties and absurd jokes and SHAFT-esque screenplay and the conversations that were dragging along.
But if that all made them forgot to tell the story then... what the hell is this shit?
Is this supposed to be a butchered ef or something?
(But ef were good. This thing don't look like it's as good as ef.)

But Hiyoko's cute, though.
Hiyoko is what an eroge heroine should be: actually giving me the lust to want to b*ng her.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto
2017 Female Favorite: Kanbe Kotori
2017 Male Favorite: Sakamaki Izayoi

Post by RailWarrior » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:25 am

Reverend wrote:Can somebody tell me what the story is?
"Sekai ga heiwa de arimasu you ni"
Sorry, couldn't help it. I love this tagline.
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]
Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki

Post by Toady » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:05 pm

Reverend wrote:
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai - Episode 001-004Show
Can somebody tell me what the story is?
I don't mind with all the boobs and panties and absurd jokes and SHAFT-esque screenplay and the conversations that were dragging along.
But if that all made them forgot to tell the story then... what the hell is this shit?
Is this supposed to be a butchered ef or something?
(But ef were good. This thing don't look like it's as good as ef.)

But Hiyoko's cute, though.
Hiyoko is what an eroge heroine should be: actually giving me the lust to want to b*ng her.
What gave you the idea to watch this in the first place? ._. One of the worst anime I've ever watched. You don't need to have played the VN to understand that the adaptation is a complete failure. Back when it aired, people were saying the VN is longer than Clannad... but Clannad needed 50 episodes to do a proper adaptation...
White Album - Episodes 1-7Show
I don't really know how I should feel about that show. I know I want to punch the protagonist and that I sometimes want to punch myself, because I would probably act in the same way in some cases. I wouldn't be that much of a jerk though.
The story is interesting though, even if it's going in a lot of directions at the same time and even if the protagonist should choose only one girl and stick with her.
The atmosphere of the anime is strange. It's quite... poetic? It can be beautiful, but also extremely boring. It's hard to not fall asleep when watching WA. I like it when the thoughts of the MC appear as text on screen, it really helps to understand him.
So yeah, I'm watching this show very slowly, because I'm never particularly excited to watch the next episode immediately, but I still wonder where the story is going.
Much stuff (but Chibaka has more)Show
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi
My Secret Santa is awesome :3

Hikarin <3
Thank you Secret Santa 2016 :3
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:17 pm

I watched it for Asuka!
which means I only got a 1% return for the time I invested. Worth it.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:33 am

[email protected] Cinderella Girls - Episode 7/13Show
I'm here because I'm trying to get to know those girls in h-doujins ^^;

So far: once again, the producer is the best character.
DAYUM THAT DUDE! NOW THAT'S WHAT WE CALL A TRUE DATING SIMS HERO!
He might act like some creepy rapist, but he loyally come and come again, relentless in his effort to win the heroine.
Now this is Katsuragi Keima level of dating sims hero!

But this Love Live! plot material is just a "heuh -_-"

Episode 2:
Let me take that back. This isn't Love Live!, but it's not interesting as of this point.
That Producer though is a complete joker! =D
Btw, whoa now this is what we call covering all the bases. From the most annoying girls to the plainest to the bestest. (Well, only Anya and Shibu-rin actually catch my eyes, actually. The rest are either annoying or plain to me. Uzuki is cute, but her "positivistic thinking" annoys me.)
Btw whoa this Jougasaki Onee-chan actually wears sexy clothing in the anime? Now that's nice. Erotic-ness is also part of idol-hood. Most idol series don't dare to go there; they stayed on the cutesy or graceful act. But Cinderella Girls dared. That's a pretty positive thing for the series.

Btw, when will we be introduced to Kaede? I'm here because of an h-doujin of her, actually.

Episode 3:
Oh that's fast for these 3 girls. A debut just after one performance as backstage dancers.
At the least they were once backstage dancers.
In a sense, it keeps the realistic idol vibe it tries to keep.
Though not realistic enough, since I doubt they will ever cover parts like smoking, free sex/sex service as lobying tools for jobs, or even depression from no job and worst, usage of drugs (and subsequent death.) No matter.

Episode 4:
Hey [email protected] Episode 001. It's nice seeing each girls finally properly introduced.

Episode 5:
Eh... what? Strike? Really?
Seriously?
So much for my praise for realism. -_-
If I was Producer-san I would have fired them. For disturbing the whole company's work and bringing shame to the project's name in the building. This is Japan, dude. Their work culture are disciplined and has high shame culture. This is no some backward country whose "worker union's voice" you can buy with money.
But well, it was Producer's mistake for not explaining the whole plan early.
If all the other plans were still pending, then best you keep the conversation about the units to the first 5 girls first. ._.
I understood why this episode must exists: to further characterize the cat girl and her antiques.
But I found the original concept for this episode's plot... poorly executed.

But I like how they keep the units thing intact and very relevant.
That's... "real idol-ish", and separates Cinderella Girls from the first establishment of the franchise.

And oh yes, there's still one important thing missing. I haven't found a Miki: A character that can charm me and keep my full concentration on her all the times "like what a real idol should do."
This side characters are boring, even Anya.
And even among the mains, Mio (which is a Ritsu, so she's not supposed to play the idolized girl part) was like the only one carrying the whole conversation while most beautiful Shibu-rin feels like sinking because she's a Yukinon. The composition of the conversation should try to center her more so she speaks more.

Episode 6-7:
The good thing is Shiburin got to talk more.
The bad thing is I want to hit everybody all the time.

What the hell is this shit?
Unnecessary drama. Mio is utter shit. Girl, you're a pro! Eat what was served.
The producer's indecisiveness also annoys me, but I understand his point of view. As much as I want to slap Mio right now, I can't do that if I am her producer. It's Mio's folly shitty mentality of a professional that is the problem. Unless that goes out of the window, this shitty situation will just going to repeat itself again and again and again.
But that's why she needs a good talking to. And right early from the start.

And somehow this nya shit girl becomes the best character of the series. Whoa so odd.

Whoa so that's the reason why they dramatize it?
Sorry, but it's annoying. The background behind producer is pretty nice, and that makes the whole idea, the whole plot, nice. But problem is the starting motive that started this condition, Mio and her whining, is too weak and very annoying.
That cost me my enjoyment.

Heh this girl just realized she is stupid? -_-
Heuh LL-tier material... aka IT'S SHIT!!!
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
shadowhunter
~Shadow Crafter~
~Shadow Crafter~
Badges:
Melon Pan: 63

Post by shadowhunter » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:14 pm

How I've spent my summer? I've always hated that kind of compositions.
Akuma no RiddleShow
The bunch of adorable girls + survival plot = SeemsGood.
It could be better than Grisaia if there was a male MC.
Haruhi x Isuke are the best couple!
Score: 8
Detroit Metal CityShow
That's a heavy metal, baby!
Reminded me about Mister Hatfield.
Madness. Anger. Expression.
Kimi no TodokeShow
Not the best romance.
Sawako was disturbing to me.
Plot is kinda boring.
Score: 7
Btooom!Show
Something about games before ithas became SAO mainstream. More realistic, more violent.
Danganronpa S1Show
I've seen this because of LMSI lol.
Interesting plot, acceptable characters.
Kirigiri deserves some hype.
Kiniro Mosaic S2Show
Top 2 title about girls still remains as Top 2 title. (Top 1 is GochiUsa, Top 3 is Non Non Biyori)
New teacher and new student are cute.
Karen delivers as always.
Ayaya is still tsundere, Youko is still genki.
Chihayafuru S1 and S2Show
What's the karuta?
It's the emotions, pain, wins and losses!
After completing 50 episodes, I've read the 70+ chapters of manga. That title attracted me. Very satisfying, unique and dramatic. And being Taichi is suffering....

Some low level joke:
Ayase Chihaya's level of density: Ichijou Raku
Mashima Taichi's level of unluck: Kamijou Touma
Wataya Arata's level of retirement: Arima Kousei

Score: 8 - S1, 9 - S2
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:11 pm

Play the game, shadow. Danganronpa.
Anime is shit. Game is just sick!
Read the VN, shadow. Grisaia.
You'll understand why 8-bit is shit.

Anyway...
Rewatch KanColleShow
When I remember that this anime is actually big money project. ._.

I want to protect Haruna <3
And to think this is all started with me trying to make a waifu analysis meme on Ohime-chin... ._.

Just realized the brilliant piece of job Ayaneru did on Nagato. I guess I just didn't pay enough attention at her enough at the time.
(No, not the moe Nagato x squirrel scene.)
Me, when I'm supposed to be studying for final test.
Fuck off, Linear Programming shit.
Give me Onee-sama BANNINGU RABU! already.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:46 pm

Kokoro ga SakebitagatterundaShow
Nice story, love the music, blah, blah, blah; whatever. I don't care about those.

See, love polygons in anime rarely go the way I'd like. And that goes double for anime like Kokosake where the endgame is just so "obvious." Now, at the start of movie, I didn't care that we'd get Takumi x Jun, because I didn't care about the romance. And then about half-way through, they introduced Natsuki's story and...well...my heart pretty much dropped. Yeah, right, like any director in his/her right mind would actually give me a Takumi x Natsuki ending. Well, whatever. Takumi x Jun would still have been fine. I mean, sure, I wanted to just hug Natsuki when she said she'd cheer for Takumi and Jun, but nothing I can do. But then there was the exchange between Takumi and Natsuki at the outside corridor. At that point, if we were to have gotten Takumi x Jun, I'd dismiss Kokosake as a shit anime. So, what happens afterward? Of course, the one who is forced to go save Jun from her self-deprecation is Takumi. Welp, it's settled. Takumi's going to, for some reason, fall for Jun even though he clearly said he doesn't like her. Because damn writers love "idealistic" romance and can't write believable romance to save their lives.

And that, folks, is why I love Kokosake.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:28 pm

So, I watch this in preparation of Violet Evergarden.
The genre is different thus the plot would probably be different but the setting is so so kinda similar.
Shigofumi - Episode 001-004Show
Hmm...
Pacing feels so fast. Yet at the same time it's so slow it might be perfect.

Story: I don't give a shit towards the episodic arc apart from the first one.
Asuna x Shouta (was it? his name) kinda reminds me of a certain hentai doujin I read once. The h-scenes were kinda too plain but the bittersweet-ness of the romance (of that doujin) was nice.
This one... there's a bit of mystery, which is nice.
Nice antagonizing on Asuna that makes us hates her, which in turn when she finally decided to try anew and then got that ending, it makes it kinda sad.
But the big problem is that pace... there just simply not enough time to cook Asuna completely. The anime staff had no other choice but to throw it raw so that at least somebody might try to understand her point of view. I did understand, that's why I don't hate her. But I'm pretty sure lots of people would hate her nonetheless. And if they hate her, they won't get the feel the story was supposed to convey.
Sen (was it? Suicide boy) and yuri tennis arc can go to hell. Both were so boring I just can't hold not to skip it (and then missed a few key points for the whole story. ._. )

But the main plot itself: Mikawa Fumika.
That seems pretty interesting.
They've taken the fast pace so that they can get the main plot done perfectly. And so far: I think they were right. It's the best of the bunch, tbh.
So I hope it gets developed throughout the series, so that in episode 12 (or 13, was it?) I can get a satisfying end.

*checks MAL*
F*ck it it's JC. No wonder pacing is such a mess.
Kami-sama no Inai NichiyoubiShow
All arcs are pretty sad and deep. :(
Yet all arcs feel pretty chaotic and aren't as heartbreaking as it should be, thanks to the pacing.

The last arc is the best. :'(
But at the same time the ending is so unsatisfying!
I just know it's very very good, but it takes me a while to just understand the main plot, thanks to pacing and the pretty unique (if not chaotic) story-telling.
So, how did Ai somehow save Alice? And why does she go that much of an extend? An extend she didn't do with her father? Or don't tell me: the Alice on the last scene is a zombie? I just don't understand!
But, more importantly: so, Dee moved on? And now it's Ai x Alice? ^^;
After 14 years of holding a dimension? Using her flesh? Unsatisfying! But still very very sad. :(

If there's ever a kickstarter or some sort to remake this anime into 24 episodes, I'll gladly contribute.
From Humphrie to Alice, or maybe beyond.
All arcs are just beautiful, and deserve justice!

I'll do ratings later, along Shigofumi, maybe.
Last edited by Reverend on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokei Shikake Tenshi
Rogue
Rogue
Worships: Yuki Kajiura
Melon Pan: 55
Wish: Chocolate sundaes

Post by Tokei Shikake Tenshi » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:30 pm

I've been hearing so much about these movies and I finally got the time to sit back, relax and watch them >.< I regret nothing.
Toki o Kakeru ShoujoShow
Time waits for no one. One Sentence Description: Konno Makoto finds out that she can 'leap' through time and she tries to manipulate time to her advantage and shit happens.

Plot: Makoto is, in many respects, a normal teenager. She wakes up late, fails a surprise quiz and nearly sets the Home Economics room on fire. So when she gets the ability to time travel, she does what any normal person on this Earth would do: she uses it for small, trivial stuff like acing tests and avoiding mistakes. Nonetheless, everything has consequences, and her actions nearly cost her the life of her best friend and the sanity of a classmate.

The overarching romance between Chiaki and Makoto is honestly stupid. The scene where Chiaki suggest he and Makoto should go out? It was seriously out of character for Makoto to revive time just to avoid the confession. And Chiaki's sudden 'desire' to go back to the future? Like, wth hero? The love triangle between Kousuke ---> Makoto <--- Chiaki wasn't addressed properly either. Honestly, the only problem I had with the plot was the romance. (7/10)

Characters: The cast is bland, but the main focus is Makoto and I suppose the movie does justice with her character. She's like any teenager, but instead of the 'save the world' mindset, she tries to use time for little things. Which eventually cost her big things. Makoto develops from an indecisive and brash teenager to a more thoughtful individual, and what more can you ask from a main character? To top it off, she's likeable. I have mixed feelings towards Chiaki. Initially he is very likeable, but by the end his sudden desire to go back to the future and his change from being a Fiery Redhead to a serious, gloomy dude was just too OOC. Makoto's aunt is an interesting character. She's not fleshed out or even developed, but her aura of enigma and mystery is done well. As I said before, Makoto's the main character, and the movie does justice to her.(7/10)

Art/Music: The art is beautiful, hands down. The scenery is bright and colorful. I'm not an aesthetic critic of any kind, but I know when art is beautiful. I don't remember the music , but I know that the ED was lovely too (9/10)

Total: 8/10
The only problem with the story was the romance aspect. But there's the reason it's called the best movie of 2006, and it's definitely worth a watch *-*
ColorfulShow
"I" have started to realize that people are hurting each other because the world is too colorful to distinguish the true color of themselves from others. One Sentence Description: A soul with no memories wins a second chance at life and is placed in the body of Kobayashi Makoto.

Plot: It is difficult describing this film in one sentence. So, a nameless, memory-less soul is told by an 'angel' named Purapura that he has won a second chance at life. The nameless soul must participate in a half-year internship, during which he must discover the 'sin' he committed. For the internship he is placed in the body of Kobayashi Makoto, a young boy who committed suicide. Even though Makoto seems to have an ideal life, the nameless soul slowly discovers that his life is, in simple words, a f*cking mess. Want me to summarize it for you? He was bullied mercilessly at school, his father is an underdog at work, his mother has an affair with a teacher and his crush enjoins in enjo-kōsai. If that's not a shitty life, I don't know what that is.

That said, the plot basically revolves around the 'soul' discovering the sin he committed in the previous life. While the 'sin' and 'identity' of the soul itself is unsurprisingly predictable, the characters make up for everything and anything.
(8/10)

Characters: Colorful is mostly character-driven, so you can expect this to be long.
The main character is Kobayashi Makoto. He is a 3rd year student of junior high and is about to graduate to high school. He's physically short for his age and academically weak, but he's incredibly good at art. That said, he's implied to have been aggressive, irritable and rude before he is possessed by the nameless spirit. No one really likes him and for good reason, really. After shit happens, he attempts suicide by eating his mother's pills. As I mentioned before, his life is in shambles. Honestly, you can't help feeling sorry for him. He's a kid who lost his innocence at an early age. Maybe not literally, but everything hits him so hard, and that eventually leads to his suicide attempt.
Another thing- even though it's not very dominant in the storyline- is the peer pressure Makoto faces from time to time. Go to a big high school. Get a degree. You need to make money. It's a rat race for everyone. And another thing I have to point out in the story is how- prior to Makoto's suicide- no one cares what a troubled young guy he is. And then after he attempts suicide, his teacher and his parents suddenly smother him. It's like they only know how broken he is after he's completely cracked. Believe me, that happens a lot. Makoto gets better, though. He begins to realize the meaning of life, makes friends and improves his attitude towards everyone in general. If I ever got a chance to meet a kid like him, I'd just hug him. They just need it.

Makoto's family is an important part of the whole story. I'll start with his mother, because she had a lasting effect on me. We first see her as an earnest, hardworking mother. She smothers Makoto with love and care, cooks him his favourite dishes, and listens to everything he says. And then suddenly we're hit with the information that she cheated on her husband with the Flamenco dance teacher. Honestly, I feel as if there are two perspectives on this. You can fully understand why Makoto acts like a d*ck towards her. He feels as if she's 'betrayed' her family. He's angry. He doesn't know what to say to her. Should he confront her? Should he let it pass by? In the end, he settles with confronting his mother rather harshly, but you can understand why he hates her. On the other hand, Makoto's mother is an understandable character as well. You can't hate her at all either. When you're not getting the love you need, you turn to other people. Just like she turns to the flamenco dance teacher for love. You know, I find it VERY hypocritical that people who cheat on their spouse are treated like they're the scum on this Earth. It is ethically wrong, totally, but it's time people realize that parents are people too. And people need love. And we have Makoto's dad. He's not fleshed out much, but he helps Makoto in accepting his mother. Another character is Makoto's brother Mitsuru. He might seem like an overachieving shit who looks down on his brother. But the first shot of him we see of him is him banging his head against the wall because his otouto attempts suicide. Thus I wasn't entirely convinced he's the shit he appears to be. And it turns out he's not, because he goes out in the dead of the night to find his otouto and tries to find a high school where his otouto can fit in.

The character whom I found utterly, truly tragic was that girl named Hiroka- who enjoins in Enjo Kousai/compensated dating in which younger women are paid by older men for companionship or in Hiroka's case (since we see her coming out of a love hotel) sex. The thing is, Hiroka's not a bad girl. Yeah, rumors fly about her in school and they're even true, but she's not a bad girl. She seems to be nice and caring and kind. I found her 'when I see beautiful things I want to destroy them' mindset extremely realistic, even though most people can't relate to it. Shouko(? Can't remember her name) is the kind of girl who exists in everybody's life. The girl who might be nice and earnest, but something about her is just irritating. One thing I can actually remember is that Makoto tries to force himself on her, and she's actually got the guts to push him away and say 'NO' and not talk to him again. And what I like is that apart from the typical victim-blaming thing, it's not Shoko that apologizes, but Makoto himself. The last character is the everyman Saotome who becomes Makoto's best friend. He's a good kid.

Overall, I love how Colorful never portrays any character as 'bad', perse. They're just people trying to find their place in the world
(10/10)

Art/Music: Can't remember much about the music, but the art is gorgeous. Even the cover is beautiful.
(9/10)

Total: 9/10
I recommend it 100/100. If you're one of those strict anime critics, you'll find something wrong with this film obviously. But to me, it's flawless *-*
ImageThanks to Hikari-chan for the amazing signature!
Gyate~Show
Image Image Image
Meguca, Donut-chan and Neptune
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:11 pm

Koi KazeShow
Whoa now this looks like good incest.

Episode 1: It might seems a bit convenient at times, and a bit wishy washy, but this started off well.
The only thing that seems a bit stupid is that the main protag whose name only mentioned like once for the whole episode looks like that dude from an effing Japanese Adult Video.

Episode 2: Ah... heuh. The old bento scene. The one that hasn't been moe-ified. Is this girl a complete airhead, btw?
But talk about the worst set of supporting cast. The Dad is a complete blockhead, and the office staffs are just effing annoying. To make fun of a broken-hearted person... Well, but in a sense it is realistic. The society is shit that way, anyway. :lol: They make fun of you, and always think it's fine as long as they help you in the part they thought is important... what bullshit! You don't become friends by doing that!

The main protag's indecisiveness might seem annoying to people who are never in his position, but this is Seinen so I'm pretty sure most people who watched this have already been in his position. So it should have been okay.
Neither does the imouto do anything wrong. Typical women to not understand the hearts of men (as the reverse is also true. This is a Seinen, and is driven by its main protag. So no wonder it's depicted this way at this point.)
The only thing wrong here... is the standard wishy-washiness of a romance. The depiction is too romantic.
But that's dangerously close to ruining the series. Because it can dangerously make the writer or anyone doing this anime forget that this is incest, and an anime that revolves around it.
But, then again, most praise I heard about this story were about how mature the plot was handled. So... well, let's see if those praises were true, or just the critics doing bullshits.

Episode 3: Whoa realistic puberty as plot? Nice. They even went as far as making first mens as plot. GG. Really.
The supporting cast, though... Yappari, I hate society.

Btw, why choose to over-exaggerate the tsun trait on Onii-chan, now? ._.
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isshiki Iroha
Melon Pan: 0
2018 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
2017 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2017 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Post by smartboyhw » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:39 pm

OK actually... There's a hell lot to write from the past months.
OreGairu S1 ALLShow
Sorry I'm bored by the anime. It just doesn't interest me anywhere except for the gags. (Saiga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>) Yui >>>>>>>>>>> Yukino
6/10.
Tamako Love StoryShow
NOTE: I DID NOT WATCH TAMAKO MARKET.
Even though it's boring in the sense that you can guess the plot, it's at least funnier to watch than OreGairu (seriously) and being better at delivering emotions. 7.5/10.
Shirobako ALLShow
9.5/10. Recommend for all who watched an anime series.
My favorite is Midori then Ema.
Actually it isn't a hell lot.
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:15 pm

Not really a catchup, but I put here nonetheless.
so that it will be easier for me to remember how long I've gone with each series
Macross DeltaShow
You know: they say Macross Delta exists only for the sake of more Macross.
Well... fortunately for me, I know little of Macross thus Macross Delta is my first real experience with the series.

Episode 1:
I understand why they say what they said. Idol genre post-2010 is just utter shit.
Even the great Macross can't survive it, it seems.

No matter. Because at the least Freyja Wion is a decent Macross heroine.
(When I say decent Macross heroine, it means she's way better than any idol shits you see in the past 4-5 years. Freyja Wion is what Honoka or Chika or even Uzuki tried to be, and crashed somewhere in the middle.)
The other Walkure members looks ugly design-wise (the clothes are great, but the face is just ugly) and seems boring character-wise. But hey, it's episode 1.

Episode 2:
- Mikumu is supposed to be that perfect lady, goddess character. Yet, to me, she looks like that mistress in superhigh-class prostitution. -_-
Well, in a sense, they reached what they wanted to do, but only to a very low extend. :lol:
(Argh and Koshimizu Ami's singing is already pretty great... what a waste!)
- Kaname looks cool. But she's not pretty enough. Oh, she's leader? No wonder.
- Makina... bad habit of anime: big boobs characters don't get the best face. (because they always try to make sure the face looks as round the boobs, and because they're trying their best to balance the cast.) There's only minority few, and most of them are quickly... excommunicated by majority, because they are quickly seen as the reason why the anime they're at is shit. (Though, it's prejudice, mostly. Shit is shit. Gold is gold.)
- Reina relied too much on Touyama Nao. She needs to get more screen time and characterization. (like what a typical kuudere needs.)
- This Elven girl is effing annoying.
- The commander's aide is so effing annoying. Commander is sick, though.
- Oi what's with this close-to-rape scene? And what's with the panting that's closer to sexual intercourse than fear and trauma? -_-
- Hayate looks standard and feels standard.

Episode 3-13:
1. Unnecessary love triangle solved so conveniently... Shit. (But Messer is quite an enjoyable character, albeit he can be very annoying at times.)
2. Another unnecessary love triangle rises, this time the main. Shit.
3. All the battles were sick and thrilling to watch, but the finale goes down and crashes. It's basically just a showcase of animation technique. Heuh... -_-
(The strategy part can be better told.)
4. Worst: I now remember why I avoided this franchise. Macross has always been about brainwash, big or small. Mind break is good. Mind control is shit.

Will continue, though. I'm in too deep to stop.

Episode 14-21:
- Freyja's kicking ass.
- Mirage's losing the war.
- Only hope there won't be bullshit end like Freyja ending up as the next Star Singer. (which basically will separates her & Hayate.) I will scream SHIT ANIME if it ends up like that.

But it's funny how Kaname's GIRAFFE BLUES is the best of the three version.
- The song's technically made for Mikumo's singing voice. (Well, it's a copy of Unbreak My Heart, after all.)
- But somehow Mikumo's version the worst of the three. (Not to say that it's bad, because it's still very heart-breaking.) It lacks... what do I call it, huh? Feels? Mikumo's an empty shell, after all.
- Freyja's version gives you a sense of a lover supporting her spouse (which basically what the song is all about.) But it lacks that "I miss you" vibe.
- Kaname's version has not only the main definition and the secondary, it also has a bit of sadness.
- Oddly enough, Kiyono's voice's the one not most suited to this song. (can't count how many edits needed to be done to remove her gasps. I literally can hear her dying just to get the dynamic right.)
- But maybe because of that, she has to throw the most effort. Hmm...
- Hmm... or maybe because it's Kiyono Yasuno? There's a reason why she, and only she, was able to pull the voice acting required for Katou Megumi. The princess's voice, the loyal everlasting lover that supports you unconditionally at all times (basically how Katou Megumi is designed: as a perfect heroine. Saekano is all about her, after all.) So, it can also be said that artistically, her voice suits the song the most. Technical ability is just the layer after all. The "feels" is the essence, most important to an art work. She delivers that essence the best. Add Messer's arc, it's perfect. <3
- But but- Kaname x Messer is bullshit. -_-
- Heuh.... ah whatever it's just a song. Albeit a heart-breaking one. And, fairly speaking, I can relate to this song better than to Unbreak My Heart. (Mainly because I'm not the type to regret anything that has happened.) That makes GIRAFFE BLUES better to me than Unbreak My Heart.
- I wonder when will the Kaname solo version comes out? I hope it will be on her Character CD.

Episode 22-23:
When you tried too much of keeping the trait of the franchise.
Heuh... same problem as Love Live!
I only hope:
- There won't be bullshit like Mirage x Hayate.
- There won't be bullshit like Freyja sacrificing herself thus separating herself from Hayate.

Well, I'm just going to enjoy Seikan Hikou - Freyja Wion version while I can. (Album version when?)
Last edited by Reverend on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fuijiwara
[Ebb and Flow]
[Ebb and Flow]
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Fuijiwara no Mokou
Melon Pan: 2
Wish: Happiness~~

Post by Fuijiwara » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:02 am

Reverend wrote:Not really a catchup, but I put here nonetheless.
so that it will be easier for me to remember how long I've gone with each series
Macross DeltaShow
You know: they say Macross Delta exists only for the sake of more Macross.
Well... fortunately for me, I know little of Macross thus Macross Delta is my first real experience with the series.

Episode 1:
I understand why they say what they said. Idol genre post-2010 is just utter shit.
Even the great Macross can't survive it, it seems.

No matter. Because at the least Freyja Wion is a decent Macross heroine.
(When I say decent Macross heroine, it means she's way better than any idol shits you see in the past 4-5 years. Freyja Wion is what Honoka or Chika or even Uzuki tried to be, and crashed somewhere in the middle.)
The other Walkure members looks ugly design-wise (the clothes are great, but the face is just ugly) and seems boring character-wise. But hey, it's episode 1.

Episode 2:
- Mikumu is supposed to be that perfect lady, goddess character. Yet, to me, she looks like that mistress in superhigh-class prostitution. -_-
Well, in a sense, they reached what they wanted to do, but only to a very low extend. :lol:
(Argh and Koshimizu Ami's singing is already pretty great... what a waste!)
- Kaname looks cool. But she's not pretty enough. Oh, she's leader? No wonder.
- Makina... bad habit of anime: big boobs characters don't get the best face. (because they always try to make sure the face looks as round the boobs, and because they're trying their best to balance the cast.) There's only minority few, and most of them are quickly... excommunicated by majority, because they are quickly seen as the reason why the anime they're at is shit. (Though, it's prejudice, mostly. Shit is shit. Gold is gold.)
- Reina relied too much on Touyama Nao. She needs to get more screen time and characterization. (like what a typical kuudere needs.)
- This Elven girl is effing annoying.
- The commander's aide is so effing annoying. Commander is sick, though.
- Oi what's with this close-to-rape scene? And what's with the panting that's closer to sexual intercourse than fear and trauma? -_-
- Hayate looks standard and feels standard.

Episode 3:
Spoiler about MikumoShow
Um, Revie. That's not Koshimizu Ami singing. Koshimizu Ami is the VA, while the singer is a 15 year old named JUNN.
2015 SilversShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:34 am

Fuijiwara wrote:
Spoiler about MikumoShow
Um, Revie. That's not Koshimizu Ami singing. Koshimizu Ami is the VA, while the singer is a 15 year old named JUNN.
Oh I see.
Thanks for the info.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Macross FrontierShow
Shit that was good! <3

STORY:
Idea: 8/10
Continuation of a what? 30? years old series, one of 2 biggest mecha franchise in anime industry. People said it came back with a bang, and I have to agree.
The only thing kinda annoying... why bug? why does it have to be a bug?

Character Personality & Development: 9/10
- Alto: Standard dense romance main protag x mecha pilot hero. But when he said he will kill Ranka if it turns out the Vajra is using her, it was sick!
- Sheryl: Standard romance heroine... well, if you're using old-style romance usually seen in older movies or film series as standard. Development around her is top class. Personal opinion: I kinda despise her and kinda love her. Hmm...
- Ranka: Well, if Sheryl is like that, then there's no better second heroine than Ranka. Development around her is also top class. Personal opinion: I don't hate her, at the least. Plus Seikan Hikou is just sick! <3
- Grace: Standard, kinda boring actually, pure evil antagonist. Fortunate the plot is just good.
- Bre: Standard nemesis character. Played a great support to Ranka's development.
- Ozma & his girlfriend (Grace, was it?) : Damn this trolling Major! I though he really died!
- Michael & Klan Klang: Poor Klan. :(
- Luca: Love seeing him drifting from one side to another, for the sake of protecting the one he loves. But the conclusion is shit.
- Vajra: Definitely the best character of the series. There's just no defeating the romanticism in their culture. <3
- The rest of the supporting cast: Nice enough.

Plot Development: 10/10
- Satisfying Space Opera that builds upon 30 long years of Macross history while creating the next foundation for the next series. I don't really need to comment here.

- Well-handled romance triangle, thought the ending is kinda unsatisfying. (But I hear the movie ended up differently? Can't wait.)
It's only (and big) weakness is how the final climax is handled.
I mean: the part where Sheryl heard Alto saying he will kill Ranka if he has to, and then after that she chose to left instead of going for what she was about to do (finishing her confession.) That scene is a defeat scene for her, that's why she left: because she knows in the end it's about Ranka, and Alto loves Ranka and more importantly Ranka also loves him back (which gives Sheryl the hint she has no hope.)
When Alto said he will come back to her, Sheryl stopped Alto who was about to make a conclusion by confessing to her (with a goodbye kiss,) because she knew whatever Alto might said, it would be mostly lip service. Alto can give her all his attention, but the place she wanted most from Alto... is already taken by Ranka. Instead, she can only ask for his safe return. ("At the least I don't lose my current relationship with him" is the only thing Sheryl can ask, at her position.)
That's why she said prior her live on the final battle: "There's nothing else for me now but music." Because she knew she lost. (Though that doesn't mean she will give up. She's Sheryl Nome, after all.)
And at the end, Ranka said to Sheryl she has no intention of losing from Sheryl at both love and singing. While Ranka means that literally, Sheryl takes that as "Don't give up, yet." instead. Thus, her response "Challenge accepted." also has double meaning, to both herself and Ranka.

Now, I can say all of this because I paid enough attention and because I watched and studied enough film & movies. But people who don't? Will they get it? Nah. I guess it would feel floating to them. And the triangle, despite handled well, has no real conclusion. (well, unless you count harem end as real conclusion. :lol: )
The problem you get when the writer tried to be too pretty, by advancing the story too... implicitly. Same problem with OreGairu, and lots of other series which stories got too deep.

The anime ended up in Ranka's victory (though the love war isn't over yet. But it's as good as done.) But the movie (I heard) ended up in Sheryl's (though it's not exactly a victory?) Make sense why they do that.

- Decent politic, but great conspiracy plot. Space Opera.
- Lovely backstory for each of the supporting cast.

How the hell am I suppose to not fall in love to Sheryl's fall and rise?
In the end, I'll give it a 10/10, after all.

ART & ANIMATION
Character Drawing & Expression: 8/10
Personally, Sheryl doesn't look pretty enough for my liking. Blame Alto-hime.
Ranka is standard cute character.
The rest is also standard for mecha anime. I would still would have love it more if it was cuter.

Movement, Transition: 10/10
How should I describe it, huh? Masterpiece?
You only get this kind of motion pictures in movie made by the best director.
Putting aside the 3DCG (which is on a level of its own,) it's the screenplay that captures me. How each scenes are depicted, from which angle they are captured, and how the camera would move to give us the vibe that scene should deliver.

I mean: How the hell do you expect me not to fall in love to Ranka's singing Seikan Hikou from a plane and bringing peace to a whole planet? <3
I felt like one of those rebel soldiers that dropped their weapons when Ranka went *KIRA* ;).
That's how you create a key scene captivating enough in an efficient manner.

I can see why Macross managed to establish a very strong empire even after years of no material.

Background: 9/10
Just gotta love those 3DCG. Ufotable's Smoke Works can go fuck off. (or maybe they could learn from Pixar, of how to do proper room-ization.)

VOICING & OST
Voicing: 8/10
Alto is standard Nakamura Yuuichi. Nothing less from him.
Ranka felt kinda dead for me in earlier episodes, but as the episode progresses, it gets better.
Sheryl is perfect. Just what the voice I would expect from her character. (and I love high pitch natural voice, so me praising the voice work on Sheryl is... out of my character.)
The rest is great.

Songs go in OST.

SFX: 10/10
Tidy - Check.
Lots of it - Check.
Greatly emphasizes the experience - Check.
Macross is a series that relies a lot on sound, after all.

BGM, OP, ED: 10/10
BGM is another level.
I like May'n songs even before this, though I don't actually follow her. (But I knew Lion & Northern Cross previously.)
Seikan Hikou & Aimo is just lovely. <3

But the 10 comes from the whole medley in the last episode. (Brw, how that's how you do a climax episode!)
I don't care how many songs there are. I just care about the ones I will remember. 16 songs, were there? Don't care. I only care for the songs I've mentioned.
But to medley them all into one BGM I would remember, in a manner that thrills you, excites you, most importantly sucks you into the world, they basically achieve the essence of adding sound works into motion picture.
That, imo, deserves a 10.

ENJOYMENT: 9/10
Shit that was good! <3
Even if there's an effing karaoke in every episode.

TOTAL: 92
Next: Deshuu. ^^;
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:19 pm

Kaichou wa Maid-sama Episodes 1-20Show
I almost made it through. Just four more episodes. But I couldn't. Usui is just unbearable. He's too damn egocentric and controlling. That in itself isn't the problem, though. The problem is that Misaki actually falls for a guy like him, and I have a hard time finding that romance believable.

(My favorite character is, of course, Suzuna.)
Special A Episodes 1-15Show
If you read (or watched) the above, I hate Usui. I've seen a couple of comments comparing Usui to Kei, and I don't agree. At all. Kei is more human, and I can actually sense compassion in him. Most of all, he doesn't go all out stalker mode on Hikari (unlike what Usui does with Misaki).

Also, I love stories surrounding the supporting cast of an anime, and Special A has plenty of those.
Grish
[Erithacus rubecula]
[Erithacus rubecula]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: birds
Melon Pan: 101
2018 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
2017 Female Favorite: Sakura Kyōko
2017 Male Favorite: Kurapika

Post by Grish » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:36 pm

RailWarrior wrote:
Kaichou wa Maid-sama Episodes 1-20Show
Usui is just unbearable. He's too damn egocentric and controlling. That in itself isn't the problem, though. The problem is that Misaki actually falls for a guy like him, and I have a hard time finding that romance believable.
Why I hate 90% of anime romance: a summary
MALTumblr