Your Catchup Bucket

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Re: Your Catchup Bucket

Post by Reverend » Sun May 28, 2017 3:51 pm

smartboyhw wrote:OK first of all to anybody who is wondering: I'm not completely away and will lurk around this summer, until mid-late August (which by then you won't see me around due to non-stop organization of orientation activities for freshmen and then start of Year 2).

So for the catch-up session.
OreGairu S2 13/13Show
OreGairu S2 is actually a far-forgotten material for me since I watched it probably around January. Still, the psychological aspect of the characters is well performed. And as you can pretty much tell by asking WHERE IS INABAN, Iroha is best girl.
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata S1 12/12Show
Watched for Saekano S2 prep.
A surprising thing is that I actually find it mediocre (unlike S2), and I definitely do not like the characters very well. Most characters suffer too much of a trope (and in the case of Megumi, either too dull or too horrifying).
If I was forced to choose, it would be Michiru > Eriri > Megumi > Utaha.
SpoilerShow
OreGairu: Iroha is so good compared to the two main girls now Watari-sensei doesn't know how to end the series; Whoever Hachiman ends up with (which probably will be Yukinon,) I don't think he'll be satisfied.
imo he should try to continue with another 4-5 vols in which he can make the ending he wants.

Saekano S1:
but that was the very core of Katou as a character: the boring, unnoticeable girl who's supposed to be seen as dull.
Eriri gets the director's love and main attention that's why the episodes where it's her arc are usually good. (This "love of the creator" part matters a lot, after all. See Rem for most recent example.) So unless you're a total tsundere hater, she'll usually be on the upper half of the anime viewers' girls rank.
But Michiru at the top of your list is no surprise considering the you I know lol.

Season 2 goes deeper into the drama in each character's own story because it's free from the job of introducing you to them.
And these girls are all full of the most mainstream of archetypes, and Season 1 had to make sure you know them well before getting to it, so...
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
RichardJoash
~Eye of Twilight~
~Eye of Twilight~
Badges:
Worships: Yaya, Asseylum, Hestia, Nao, Rory, Albedo and Stella Vermillion
Melon Pan: 45
2017 Female Favorite: Stella Vermillion
2017 Male Favorite: Kurogane Ikki
Wish: To let Subaru fans, Corvette and Camaro fans and Can-Am Spyder fans support Yaya to win the Heavenly Tiara and get those Turkeys off the Thanksgiving Menu

Post by RichardJoash » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:37 am

I am going have a catch-up of the english dub versions of Izetta and Clockwork Planet. And Umaru-Chan too.
Kono Hoshi o Nameru na yo! Image Sankyuu, Hikarin!
Mioko
Mahou shoujo
Mahou shoujo
Badges:
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2017 Male Favorite: Bell Cranel
Wish: wish i could fly

Post by Mioko » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Randomly stumbled upon Gad Guard. It's always nice to find a relatively older anime :)
Life is too short for bad days !
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
2017 Female Favorite: Karasuma Chitose
2017 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:20 am

Well it's time to do a recap of all the anime I've finished watching this year. There are major spoilers if you open up a spoiler.
Girlish NumbersShow
To be honest, it went in some tangent that wasn't very...memorable. I think Chitose is a great character, mainly because of how flawed she is. But to me, it felt like the climax of the show came too early and the ending drama was forced and stuff. It was still pretty fun to watch.

6/10
White AlbumShow
This is pretty much one of the best romance drama I've watched in anime. Some people call the ending bittersweet, but to be honest it's just bitter. There's no sweet. And you know what, maybe that's what I needed to see in an anime. I hate all those forced sickly sweet ending that makes absolutely no sense.

8/10
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid DragonShow
It was cute and funny, and nothing more. Like with most anime, the ending is a bit of a shit show because it tried hard to introduce unnecessary drama to arrive at some heartfelt moment. I didn't need that one bit.

7/10
Eromanga-senseiShow
This was the stupidest piece of shit anime I've watched in a while.

0/10 story
7/10 moe
7/10 total
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo ShinjuuShow
There's a lot of things I want to say about this anime, all positive, but there's really one huge flaw that I can't overlook. Pretty much half of this anime is flashback. To anyone who wants to watch this anime, know that it's a great anime, but it's half a detective anime that delves into the past. Current events are often put on hold, sometimes annoyingly so. Still, it's probably the best anime I've watched in a while.

S1 7/10
S2 8/10
Kono Subawhat the fuck ever stop giving anime long namesShow
Hilarious as fuck. This hits my comedy spot. Second season comes around and it's still pretty hilarious. However, the ending comes along and it's the same story all over again. The final episodes had forced drama, no comedy, just to present an "epic fight" or some shit, I don't know. I wish anime woudl stop doing this.

S1 8/10
S2 6/10
Koe no KatachiShow
I knew coming in that it is very hyped and liked by many. It fucked me still.

10/10
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Chocola wrote:
KonosubaShow
Hilarious as fuck. This hits my comedy spot. Second season comes around and it's still pretty hilarious. However, the ending comes along and it's the same story all over again. The final episodes had forced drama, no comedy, just to present an "epic fight" or some shit, I don't know. I wish anime woudl stop doing this.

S1 8/10
S2 6/10
SpoilerShow
it is supposed to be a sarcastic parody of world-saving adventure genre literature:
"that, in the end, some stupid fight has to happen where the idiots hog all the glory and the actual heroes turn into skulls."
Vol 4 (end of season 2) is best bcs the one who finished the boss is Aqua, the biggest idiot of the bunch. (and in the best way possible =D)

though I'm sure most of Konosuba fans don't get this. Everyone are too focused on either the heroines, or the self-depreciating narration from Kazuma, that they forget that this series started out as a parody, and is still a parody no matter how far it ventures out.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
2017 Female Favorite: Karasuma Chitose
2017 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Just because something makes sense doesn't make it entertaining. You're supposed to make a parody of that type of ending funny, not replicate it and assume it will be funny.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Chocola wrote:Just because something makes sense doesn't make it entertaining. You're supposed to make a parody of that type of ending funny, not replicate it and assume it will be funny.
oh I see.
I find it funny but if you don't then it's fine.
Karob
Space pirate
Space pirate
Badges:
Worships: ♪♫
Melon Pan: 55
2018 Female Favorite: Jeanne d'Arc
2018 Male Favorite: Saiki Kusuo
2017 Female Favorite: Asada Shino
2017 Male Favorite: Shirogane Kei (Shiroe)
Wish: At the end of all our lives, to be able to say, "it was worth it".

Post by Karob » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:23 pm

smartboyhw wrote:
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata S1 12/12Show
Watched for Saekano S2 prep.
A surprising thing is that I actually find it mediocre (unlike S2), and I definitely do not like the characters very well. Most characters suffer too much of a trope (and in the case of Megumi, either too dull or too horrifying).
If I was forced to choose, it would be Michiru > Eriri > Megumi > Utaha.
I never found Megumi dull or horrifying. She's one of the most intriguing characters in anime to me. :)
Chocola wrote:
Kono Subawhat the fuck ever stop giving anime long namesShow
SpoilerShow
Lolwut. The final episodes were packed with the same hilarious bullshit as always. They tease your emotions with some positive development, only for it to roll into some punchline or something, over and over. It was great. The only exception to this is the ending scene of the last episode, which was just a warm "we're back home" scene.
MyAnimeListSoundcloud
"The right answer is to never stop thinking." ~Seikaisuru Kado
Speak to me again.
Keima
Planeswalker
Planeswalker
Worships: Black Rock Shooter (BRS)
2017 Female Favorite: Isla
2017 Male Favorite: Katsuragi Keima
Wish: Still want even more professional quality Vocaloid events in the U.S.

Post by Keima » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:10 am

I went on vacation recently. Took a train trip to California (YES you read that right, I took a train. I had been saving points to redeem for a first class trip by rail, and though it took a while I still preferred that to the sometimes excruciating ordeal of flying ).

In any case since I had some time to kill on the trip I used that time to do some catch up watching. I finished the "Yozakura Quartet " OVAs (3 eps ) and got about halfway through "Katanagatari". Enjoyed Yozakura, and am really impressed so far with the writing and character development and fight scene animation of Katanagatari. Hopefully I'll finish the second half of the series within the next few days before the fall season starts.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:27 am

Love LabShow
Standard mediocre comedy.
At times it's funny at times it's not.
But I love comedy

One thing that I can praise is how the comedy doesn't stuck on one source, but is evenly distributed thus we can see all sides of the characters, and also we can get a lot of variety.
Also, plot-wise, is that such distribution allows us to see each member as equal, and the group of friends are true friends, without a social hierarchy. That also gives the thing a slight moe sol school-setting vibe.

(Note: this trait is one of the main traits of a standard moe sol, while in standard comedy usually there's a clear hierarchy to define the roles of each character. Although actually, most of the famous comedy anime manage to play around the hierarchy while still keep it intact as an overall. I think Love Lab is also more of this case... except it's not as famous due to the comedy quality. Or maybe they did it too much? I dont know...)

Characters
Maki: typical clown. Shit as a character bcs the logic behind her jokes aren't "fascinatingly stupid while still makes a good connection between one logical point and another, and makes a good cause-effect relation" (unlike Aqua, for example.)
And also she relies too much on the obsolete notion that she's "Fuji-hime" - cool astute princess. I mean: her notion mostly relies on how other people see her. Love Lab doesn't make use of the gap between her Fuji-hime and her real chara to the max. Instead, the plot still uses a "Fuji-hime" image of Maki as an active plot fact (when it is not supposed to be) and an important plot point. Now, for the side characters inside the story, it might work, but for us audiences it would just come across as forced and unnatural.
Riko: 10/10 waifu material definitely will date definitely will marry. Moe tomboyish cute chara that can only exists in anime bcs in real life they will usually be shit-looking and burnt, or too annoying or a bitch (or all.) Too bad she has that sacchan boy.
Sayo: she's a kind girl but she can go die. Her tsukkomi are mostly something that the supporting text and the watchers already know, plus she's rude, Corni rude.
That haughty voice is great, though.
Yuko: typical pampered tsundere that is saved by Ayaneru's voice.
Suzu: typical dandere that is saved by Minase Inori's voice.
Everyone else: Other than Riko's lil bro who is just like her sister a great chara, the rest are pretty plain.
Last edited by Reverend on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Fate Kaleid Sekka no ChikaiShow
Man it's been sometime since I last enjoyed a Fate franchise anime.
UBW ruined best fight scene. Apo is utter shit and exists for Joan (& Astolfo.) FGO OVA I skipped that.

Best Shirou definitely.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:20 am

Basically, I'm the only one using this thread now.
Well, can't be helped.
Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season - 9/25Show
I jumped over Season 1, bcs after I read a few chapters of the manga, I come to the conclusion that I don't really need to know to watch it.
(Sure, there's probably some development and character related stuff I'd missed, but not that that will hurt my enjoyment.)

Good stuff:
+ Ochako's throwing her jacket away.
+ Imagining Ochako's boobs jiggling when they don't even animate it.
+ Glorious animation
+ Ochako (bcs Ayaneru moe.)
+ Deku not being an empty can in his head.

Decent stuff:
* Music
* Voice Work
* a developed plot (ofc, it would not be a famous long-run series if it doesn't)
* decent pace.
* Bakugo not being the main hero.
* The ice and fire dude whom Rabbit uses his picture as discord avatar. (erm.. Todoroki, right?)
* The series openly admitting that, in the end, it's similar with "anime about idol" series, except that this is superhero.
* Some of the students from Deku's class

Bad stuff:
- the other part of Midoriya "hello another shounen main character" Izuku
- The background for Todoroki.
Man, if he really hates his father and doesn't want to fulfill his ambition, then he shouldn't have become a superhero in the first place! If what he wants is revenge... then he should use full power and go for first spot, and when his father laughs when he feels he has succeeded, just say to his face "I did it myself. You, a second-placer, don't have anything to do with it." and then cut all ties with him.
- Most of the adults.
- The other part of class A that isn't counted as decent.
- 80% of superpower breed... and the only way to use it they can think of is be a superhero, or a businessman superhero, or an idol superhero, etc etc etc. (or a villain)
Man, the level of dumbness in this world is so tragic I actually think Ochako's a genius for proposing she helps her parents lift the heavy construction stuff on their job.
- The fact that 20% of the people with superpower got ignored.
Well, technically, Midoriya was one of them, but he isn't, any longer.

Stuff I won't judge:
x that muscly Deku's best friend. Probably has a background on S1 that I don't watch.

Still going, so it might change.
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
2017 Female Favorite: Megumin
2017 Male Favorite: Zen Wistalia
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:15 am

Has anyone actually watched Kemono Friends (Winter 2017)? MAL seems to be praising it because of its... graphics?, but story worth investing 4-6 hours of my time marathon-ing through it?
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Yamada Naoko
Melon Pan: 120
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Kyon
2017 Female Favorite: Kasumigaoka Utaha
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
Wish: Not disappointing the ones I love.
Successful ISML 2017. Humans living in harmony.

Post by Chibasa » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:18 am

It's worth a try (even if not assured that you'll like it), but you can really apply 3 episodes rules to it. If you don't like it much after 3 episodes, don't lose more time.
Secret Santax Time
much more stuff than ToadyShow

ImageImageImageImageImage
Hikarin is the best
After facing the rain, you'll become an even cuter rainbow !Keep believe in yourself. <3
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Chibasa wrote:It's worth a try (even if not assured that you'll like it), but you can really apply 3 episodes rules to it. If you don't like it much after 3 episodes, don't lose more time.
erm... no, you can't.
Because I think "that" begun at episode 4.