Your Catchup Bucket

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:
Melon Pan: 55
2019 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2019 Male Favorite: Levi
2018 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2018 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma

Re: Your Catchup Bucket

Post by Homura » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:52 pm

Kurogarasu wrote:I guess that's because Jojo isn't exactly considered a main stream anime, or an anime people who like moe stuff would watch.
This. It's too manly to be accepted by people who like moe anime girls or prefer gentle stuff.

I though prefer anime/manga that is drawn beautifully such as Pandora Hearts, I'm still an Aries who is easily attracted by exciting stuff. And most importantly, I watch anime for stories. JoJo is said to have very good plot, then why should I reject it?

But I was lazy to start it, until I knew you, a girl who loves JoJo as my friend does. It suddenly came to my mind that I didn't want to fall behind for too long LOL
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Alphinaud's carbuncle
Melon Pan: 81
2018 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2018 Male Favorite: Kūjō Jōtarō
Wish: Cancel Zenos

Post by Kiwigiwi » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Homura wrote: I though prefer anime/manga that is drawn beautifully such as Pandora Hearts, I'm still an Aries who is easily attracted by exciting stuff. And most importantly, I watch anime for stories. JoJo is said to have very good plot, then why should I reject it?

But I was lazy to start it, until I knew you, a girl who loves JoJo as my friend does. It suddenly came to my mind that I didn't want to fall behind for too long LOL
I'm an Aries too~ And I'm glad to have encouraged you to start Jojo! It truly is a bizarre thing to get into

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
♫ Much love to my secret santa of 2016 ♥
Fuijiwara
[Ebb and Flow]
[Ebb and Flow]
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Fuijiwara no Mokou
Melon Pan: 2
Wish: Happiness~~

Post by Fuijiwara » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Kurogarasu wrote:
Homura wrote: I though prefer anime/manga that is drawn beautifully such as Pandora Hearts, I'm still an Aries who is easily attracted by exciting stuff. And most importantly, I watch anime for stories. JoJo is said to have very good plot, then why should I reject it?

I'm an Aries too~ And I'm glad to have encouraged you to start Jojo! It truly is a bizarre thing to get into
Sounds interesting. Might wanna try it once my exams are over so I can marathon anime
2015 SilversShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:

Post by Homura » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:33 pm

@Fuijiwara 26+48 episodes. I finished the first 26.
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Orihime Inoue
Melon Pan: 60
Wish: For sugar to not be unhealthy, and campaigning to be easier

Post by Desufire » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:25 am

Which Acts have they finished in the anime? I've only played the video game versions of Act 1 and Act 5 (Johnathon and Giovanni)
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage

Post by Kiwigiwi » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:17 am

Desufire wrote:Which Acts have they finished in the anime? I've only played the video game versions of Act 1 and Act 5 (Johnathon and Giovanni)
Act 1 and 2 are combined into one season. Act 3 is split into part one and part two but there are a total of 48 episodes. The manga is up to act 8 which is ongoing

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter
Melon Pan: 50

Post by Elvinsky » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:30 am

*reads through the last two pages*

Oh wow, a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure discussion. I binge-watched season 1 (Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency) a month or so ago (though I didn't get to post about it until now), but my basic impression of the show?

It's not shit. It is THE shit.
tl;dr impression - Phantom Blood (has actual show/manga spoilers)Show

"Sono chi no sadame... JOOOOJO! (JoJo! JoJo!)"

I don't consider this a "weak" arc despite what other people say. After all, awesome things sometimes start with humble beginnings.

Anyway, Takehito Koyasu's large ham portrayal of Dio (WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!) is just fantastic, and I liked how they inserted all those "dramatic tension" unsound effects from the manga into the anime.

I also can't help but admire Jonathan Joestar's character development from being Dio's intellectual and literal punching bag to being the first badass JoJo who can harness the power of the Ripple. (Which makes his eventual beatdown of Dio much more satisfying.) But since you can't keep a good villain down (*hint hint*), Jonathan eventually has to make a heroic sacrifice to take Dio with him. So yes, even the main character can die. Good thing this is a multi-generational saga.

Oh, Speedwagon and Zeppeli are awesome too.
tl;dr impression - Battle TendencyShow
Probably my most favorite arc thanks to its awesome antagonists (the Pillar Men), said antagonists' leitmotif ("Awake"), and Tomokazu Sugita's performance as Joseph Joestar. There are plenty of other reasons too (Joseph's bromance with Caesar, the oh-so-hammy Nazi Stroheim and his theme song, "Propaganda".)
Five stars of hot-blooded, shounen-y goodness.

Admittedly, I'm not sure about continuing on to Stardust Crusaders since that's the part where Ripple fighting techniques become obsolete in favor of fighting spirits (the Stands) that would later inspire Shaman King and the Persona series of videogames. ._. Though if Stardust Crusaders does get better than Battle Tendency, feel free to let me know and I might marathon it eventually.
"Rip and Tear. Rip and tear until it's done."
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage

Post by Kiwigiwi » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:07 pm

^
Most people don't like Jonathan because when they read through the other parts of Jojo, mainly part 3 and onwards, they begin to realize that he isn't as developed or fully utilized as the other Jojos. The others had their quirks and smart moments, while Jonathan seemed more talented at screaming "THIS IS UNFORGIVABLE, DIO!!!!!" and punching bad guys.
Not that I dislike Jonathan, he's unique in his own way too.

As for if you should skip Stardust Crusaders. DON'T
I understand where you're coming from with the whole "not using the ripple anymore" thing, and most people are driven away from this part onwards due to the absence of fighting with ripples but in my opinion, stands are SO SO much better.
There's only so much one can do with the ripple, and stands provide a HUGE amount of variety in stand fights, strategies as well as abilities to see and experience. It's a joy to watch Jotaro and his friends defeat their enemies with all kinds of different amazing powers. If you don't like the use of stands, you're not going to like any of the other parts of Jojo after Stardust, because until the third part, where Old man Joseph still makes his appearance as part of Jotaro's team, part four onwards has no ripple WHATSOEVER. Part three still has ripple use here and there, though it isn't the main focus.

So yeah, that's my main recommendation.

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:

Post by Homura » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:12 pm

Kurogarasu wrote:^
while Jonathan seemed more talented at screaming "THIS IS UNFORGIVABLE, DIO!!!!!" and punching bad guys.
LOL
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto

Post by RailWarrior » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:05 am

The Third: Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo - Instantly drawn in. Honoka is all the reason I need to watch this.
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Kurogarasu wrote:^
Most people don't like Jonathan because when they read through the other parts of Jojo, mainly part 3 and onwards, they begin to realize that he isn't as developed or fully utilized as the other Jojos. The others had their quirks and smart moments, while Jonathan seemed more talented at screaming "THIS IS UNFORGIVABLE, DIO!!!!!" and punching bad guys.
Not that I dislike Jonathan, he's unique in his own way too.

As for if you should skip Stardust Crusaders. DON'T
I understand where you're coming from with the whole "not using the ripple anymore" thing, and most people are driven away from this part onwards due to the absence of fighting with ripples but in my opinion, stands are SO SO much better.
There's only so much one can do with the ripple, and stands provide a HUGE amount of variety in stand fights, strategies as well as abilities to see and experience. It's a joy to watch Jotaro and his friends defeat their enemies with all kinds of different amazing powers. If you don't like the use of stands, you're not going to like any of the other parts of Jojo after Stardust, because until the third part, where Old man Joseph still makes his appearance as part of Jotaro's team, part four onwards has no ripple WHATSOEVER. Part three still has ripple use here and there, though it isn't the main focus.

So yeah, that's my main recommendation.
Well, your description of Stand battles got me sold on it, though there are a few more questions before diving in:

- Is it safe to say that Stands can be considered a "partner/buddy/accomplice" of the characters who have them?
- On a related note, do Stands have their own personality/quirks, or is it just based on the person who has them?
- Are Stands somehow related to the Ripple?

I guess I'll be taking a look at Stardust Crusaders, then. (As soon as I'm done with the remaining shows from the Spring 2015 season and the redo of the Aquamarine final round.)
"Rip and Tear. Rip and tear until it's done."
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage

Post by Kiwigiwi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:20 pm

Elvinsky wrote: Well, your description of Stand battles got me sold on it, though there are a few more questions before diving in:

- Is it safe to say that Stands can be considered a "partner/buddy/accomplice" of the characters who have them?
- On a related note, do Stands have their own personality/quirks, or is it just based on the person who has them?
- Are Stands somehow related to the Ripple?

I guess I'll be taking a look at Stardust Crusaders, then. (As soon as I'm done with the remaining shows from the Spring 2015 season and the redo of the Aquamarine final round.)
1) They're not so much partners or buddies of the characters in possession of stands as they are like watch dogs or tools for fighting. There rarely are any clear interactions between stand and master so far, since stands in it's entirety, are just manifestations of someone's soul. Therefore a stand's ability and appearance is entirely dependent on what kind a person the master is.
2) Most stands, as said, are just a representation of the person who have them in their rawest form. However, there are a few exceptions and examples of stands with personalities. Jotaro's Star Platinum has the ability to smile or scowl from time to time but the biggest example of a stand that can actually talk and has it's own personality is from part four, diamond is unbreakable. But that part hasn't been animated yet. We can only hope.
3) It's debatable. But Araki hasn't made any clear implications if Stands are actually a different form of the ripple. Most likely not.

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:15 am

So I finally got the time watch Shitty Memories 9 and 10. Oh my god the cringe. This anime is just utter shit.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:54 am

Kholdy wrote:So I finally got the time watch Shitty Memories 9 and 10. Oh my god the cringe. This anime is just utter shit.
Michiru ain't half bad, you know... :P
hang on, won't you want to see the last moments of Isla?
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:00 am

I don't like Michiru. She's not a bad character but her personality annoys me.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto

Post by RailWarrior » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:00 pm

Baccano!Show
I don't bring up English dubs often, mostly because I never really watch them, but the English dub of Baccano!...oh my god Ennis's voice is perfection. Literally. Perfection. I was already in love with her when I was watching the original Japanese two days earlier, so I guess now I'm doubly in love. Jacuzzi's English voice annoys me though. As does Chane's. Also dislike how they chose to pronounce Chane's name. Should be soft "sh" not hard "ch"...also the "T" in her last name, Laforet, is not silent. Firo's accent was amusing.

Anyway, Ennis is perfection.

Story is engaging (come on. I watched it twice in three days. Only other anime I did that for was AmaBuri). Except for one problem: "dying from old age" isn't a thing.

Animation is nice. A lot of frames recycled, though. But from a story-telling perspective, it was necessary to re-use them.

Soundtrack...OP is amazing. The upbeat music is actually what drew me in. Before picking up Baccano!, I gave Lain a go, and I just couldn't deal with the melancholic atmosphere. "Gun's & Roses" was exactly what I needed snap me out of boredom spell.

Characters. Love them all. Well written.

Re-watch value? Extremely high. First watch-through is to familiarize yourself with the setting and story. Second watch-through is to pick up points you missed the first time around. Because you will have missed something, 100%.

9/10. There's honestly nothing stopping me from giving this 10/10 other than "I don't want to."
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage

Post by Kiwigiwi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Kholdy wrote:I don't like Michiru. She's not a bad character but her personality annoys me.
Thank you

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:19 pm

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai both seasonShow
I find myself in need to write about Sena, so I decided to watch this now.
I don't think I'll do a scoring system, but:
1. I cannot help not to support Yozora. I mean: my common sense as a male immediately directs me toward Sena or Rika, but the way the story sweeps her away is just so sad. She's nothing special, came to the border of shit as a character, actually, but her story is just so sad I cannot help but to sympathize with her and root for her.
(Is Yozora, one of the two main heroines, got swept the reason why the author lost interest in his own work? Honestly, the author should not just abandon the story like that. It isn't too late to safe Yozora and give her the ending the author wants.)
2. Sena MILF.
3. Rika is ruined but still MILF.
4. Blonde + Chuunibyou + loli + HanaKana = perfection <3
5. Yukimura is a bit too plain. If only her character design is cuter...
6. Takeyama sisters are fine.
7. What's good in Boku wa Tomodachi is that Kodaka realizes this is real world (for him) and that's why harem situation is not allowed. That indecisiveness is normal, I think, and no one has the right to criticize him for what he has not done. After all, it's the whole group, the stake is.
8. Other than that, everything is normal, rather mainstream, but well-put. It's mainstream but it is not boring, which is good.

hopefully the author changes his mind and chooses to not quit yet. I want to see how Yozora ends. I already know the ending of the last book, which gives a hint at a possible harem (and turn this into shit) so I wish he does not quit on this yet. It's not too late to turn this harem into a twist which would be one hell of a twist. (I hope he cancels the plan to make an epilogue in the next publish.)

Hmm if it was me:
As it gets closer to harem, the group starts to break apart thanks to the boy's indecisiveness. Since both way will lead to destruction, the boy decides to destroy the group with his own hand. He rejects them all, one by one (even Yukimura whose confession he accepts in the latest book) and made this an anti-climax ends. It pains him to do so, but he stays true to his indecisiveness, since it is the fairest decision, after all. (Forced ending like he ends up with one and the rest just accept is shite, there's no beauty in that.)
In the epilogue, the group meets again, and restarts their friendship (and possibly the race.) Leave the ending open so readers may blame the author as they like but may imagine what happens next (including who wins the love race.)

ps.:
this ending sounds quite similar to the ending of Sakurasou LN, Sakurasou LN is mostly shit (it's mostly s** and Nanami is even less than a side character there,) but the ending of breaking Sorata and Mashiro only to reunite them in the epilogue is lovely. The public may hate that ending, but no one can deny the beauty of two lovers reunited.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage

Post by Kiwigiwi » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:07 am

Watching Assassination Classroom now. It's really funny and I'm liking Korosensei more and more with each episode

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isshiki Iroha
Melon Pan: 0
2018 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Post by smartboyhw » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:00 pm

Angel Beats! (Episodes 1-13 + OVA 1 + Another Epilogue)Show
If anybody knows a fan-sub group which has the Hell's Kitchen OVA please PM the link to it to me because I apparently am having trouble finding one.

God damn it. Jun Maeda-san, I applaud you. Excellently delivered plot and concrete themes. Enough said. 10/10.

Oh, on characters? Well, Kanade is moe, but...

Yuri >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kanade >>>>>>>>>> Shiina >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Masami (too few material anyway) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yui-nyan

Yuri now probably is my second Stella favorite after Nanami (but when these two meet in an ISML match, I think I'll just abstain F**K WHO THOUGHT OF THAT UPCOMING MATCH?). Yui-nyan unfortunately does not fit my taste at all. Too hyper. (Note: It's not saying I don't approve Hideki x Yui-nyan. In fact I liked Episode 10 the most, next Episodes 12 and 13.)

Still, it should be Yuzuru x Kanade.
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!