Danganronpa The Animation

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: Erika Sendou
Melon Pan: 181
Wish: a kookie?

Danganronpa The Animation

Post by kanohistorm » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:44 pm

For those who follow my posts/chatzy...you would know that I was personally hyped for this series much more than Neptunia or Prisma Illya.

Not only that, but with a few intriguing elements in the animation such as murder, mystery and trial. They would make a good discussion thread.

I will update OP each week to include a quick recap of each episode- in spoiler tags ofc- and we can discuss each episode, or even speculate what may happen.
The CastShow
Recap
Episode 1- The PrologueShow
-15 students receive admittance to Peak Hope Academy, which is supposed to enlist the best of the best (think R-15- who gathers geniuses from a multitude of fields)
- But everything inside was not what it seems from the outside
- The principal revealed to the students that the only way to leave the school was to murder* another student
- Episode ended with the principal giving everybody a reason to escape the premises via a personal video.
additional notes for episode 1Show
* in order to leave, assume that the student must murder another person- while also not being identified as the killer by the other survivors
Surviving cast after episode 1Show
count: 15/15
-(Un)Luckster
- Idol
- Model
- Hacker
- Gambler
- Fighter
- Bookworm
- Biker/Delinquent
- Disciplinary Officer
- Swimmer
- Fortune Teller
- Heir
- Mangaka
- Athlete
- Unknown Talent
Episode 2- The First NightShow
- Monokuma fitted each room various weapons that can be used for others to kill (it can be presumed that other weapons are scattered across the school)
- Maizono and Naegi decided to swap rooms for a night because Maizono believes someone may be after her
- As morning passes, Maizono's body was found, killed, in Naegi's bathroom
- Junko committed a crime against Monokuma, and gets executed on the spot in front of everyone
- a new tab unlocked in the student's PDA, regarding the murder cases
- Various clues (and misleads) are shown as the rest of the survivors investigated prior to the class trial
- A dying message was left by Maizono's body, and articles of clothing and glass fragment by the incinerator
- Kirigiri discovered something odd when match room assignment by name plate, and on the PDA map.
- Maizono's DVD shows something very dark to Naegi
- As the trial is about to start, everyone seems to have already made up their on who the victim is (Naegi), but there be a person on her side
Survivors after Episode 2Show
Count: 13/15
-(Un)Luckster
- Hacker
- Gambler
- Fighter
- Bookworm
- Biker/Delinquent
- Disciplinary Officer
- Swimmer
- Fortune Teller
- Heir
- Mangaka
- Athlete
- Unknown Talent
-Idol (murdered by _____________)
- Model (executed by Monokuma)
Episode 3- The First TrialShow
- Class Trial begins with the survivors recalling details of the night of the murder
- Aoi and Sakura (Swimmer,Fighter) were in the kitchen when Sayaka went inside (note: the murder weapon was the missing kitchen knife)
- Kirigiri (????) mentioned that about the nameplate swap and a note from Sayaka that Kirigiri managed to recreate
- Sayaka's murder attempt and plan was brought to light- clearing Naegi's name at the same time
- Naegi mentions about the poorly fitted bathroom door
- The dying message flipped 180 degrees reads 'LEON', as in the SDHS Baseball player
- Naegi brings up the evidence found near the incinerator and theorizes how someone with certain skills can access it during off limit hours
- At this point, Leon (baseball) was already broken...but the final piece of evidence goes back the bathroom door and each person's tools.
- Leon, found guilty, executed by Monokuma
Survivors after episode 3Show
Count: 12/15
-(Un)Luckster
- Hacker
- Gambler
- Fighter
- Bookworm
- Biker/Delinquent
- Disciplinary Officer
- Swimmer
- Fortune Teller
- Heir
- Mangaka
- Unknown Talent
- Idol (murdered by Leon, the baseball player)
- Model (executed by Monokuma as Punishment)
- Baseball Player (executed by Monokuma, for being found guility
Episode 4- A New WorldShow
As a reward for successfully completing the first trial, access to the 2nd floor of the building was granted. Rooms included are the gym(workout room) and library.
Togami (Heir) causes a divide within the group with his view, that only Celestial (Gambler) seem to agree
The Heir started reading books of murderers while the programmer takes the computer to presumably fix and try to get it working
Biker and Hall Monitor challenged each other to a duel, and became best buds for life in the process
Bookworm fell for the heir, as currently in a completely one sided love relationship
Celestial also picked up a shipping with the otaku, making him her slave in the process
Monokuma does it again, giving people a potential motive to murder someone in order to keep their secrets a silence
and...the Programmer was killed the following day.
Killed by a blunt object to the head on the 2nd floor gym and crucified in a unique method.
Killing method is similar to that of a certain serial killer in the open world, where the most hideous method are only known to a few
Survivors after episode 4Show
Count: 11/15
-(Un)Luckster
- Gambler
- Fighter
- Bookworm
- Biker/Delinquent
- Disciplinary Officer
- Swimmer
- Fortune Teller
- Heir
- Mangaka
- Unknown Talent
- Idol (murdered by Leon, the baseball player)
- Hacker (murdered by ______________)
- Model (executed by Monokuma as Punishment)
- Baseball Player (executed by Monokuma, for being found guility

Possible Discussion Topic(s):
- Who will be killed off first (if any)
- Who will be the first murderer (if any)
- What do you think will happen next episode
- What did you think of this episode
- Did you catch any clues in the latest episode that may be used in future episodes/incidents
- Did you catch any pop culture references in the episode (character design, dialogue, signs, whatever)
Last edited by kanohistorm on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
spoiler alert :3
DurianDude
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter
Worships: Kotomi of course
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Everyone in the world to realize the greatness of durians

Re: Danganronpa The Animation

Post by DurianDude » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:44 am

Wow that episode was pretty cool. I'm excited to see this pan out. Plus the Idol is cute :3

I think the delinquent will meet an early end. I also guess the disciplinary officer will surprise everyone.
Fire Sisters!Show
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster

Post by kanohistorm » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:56 am

DurianDude wrote:Wow that episode was pretty cool. I'm excited to see this pan out. Plus the Idol is cute :3

I think the delinquent will meet an early end. I also guess the disciplinary officer will surprise everyone.
Idol pissed me off actually. Unnecessary "shipping" in my opinion this early into the game.
Gambler is best girl.
shiraoky
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: the rwby ladies <3
Wish: more time to laze around and have fun!

Post by shiraoky » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:08 am

Ep. 1Show
Well that was a pretty good start. I was looking forward to this :3 but ofc, now im sad because my favorite characters will definitely all be dying in this. great. lol...
Anyway, Celestia and Kyouko seem pretty cool, and I like Byakuya, even if he is an asshole and everyone probably dislikes him lolol. Sayaka was mehh imo, and I hope she doesn't go too crazy if she is hit with a dire situation.
Thanks to M-J for the beautiful sigs<3~!
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Minakami Yuki; Takako X Runa; Mioda Ibuki; Toono Ren... It's a long-ass list.
Wish: To keep on taking it easy, and to keep my mind limber.

Post by Metaler » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:31 am

I'm currently playing through the game, and I'm on Chapter 4. As such, if you guys have any questions about something you didn't understand, don't hesitate to ask.

The first episode was pretty faithful and well organized. I can only hope that it'll continue to be just as good and not turn into Umineko all over again.
kanohistorm wrote:Idol pissed me off actually. Unnecessary "shipping" in my opinion this early into the game.
Gambler is best girl.
My advice: maintain this mentality towards Maizono. It'll help you.

Also, something I've just remembered: in the game, you have access to the School Rules through Makoto's ID thingamabob (they're called ElectroiDs in the game's translation). I thought I'd write them here for reference:

1) Students are to live out their lives together exclusively within the academy. Indefinetely.
2) The period between 10 P.M. to 7 A.M. is designated "nighttime". Be aware that certain areas are off-limits during this time.
3) Sleep is permitted only in dormitory bedrooms. Deliberate use of any other room will be treated as sleeping in class and punished accordingly.
4) You may investigate Kibougamine Academy freely. To this end, no particular limitations have been placed on your actions.
5) Violence against the headmaster, Monokuma, is forbidden. Furthermore, destruction of surveillance cameras is also prohibited.
6) The villain who kills one of his companions will be allowed to "graduate", provided his crime is not betrayed to the other students.
7) A Class Trial will be held a short length of time following the murder commited among the students. Participation is mandatory.
8) If the villain is correctly identified during the Class Trial, he alone will be executed.
9) If the villain is not correctly identified, he alone will graduate, and the remaining students will be executed.
10) Additional rules may be added if necessary.

Keep in mind that the students' self-imposed curfew is not an official rule, so it's not listed in the game.
"Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner" ~Lao Tzu
Darth Blitzer
Space pirate
Space pirate
Worships: KyoAni Empire
Wish: Patrolling the Ohio wasteland almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Post by Darth Blitzer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:30 am

Metaler wrote: The first episode was pretty faithful and well organized. I can only hope that it'll continue to be just as good and not turn into Umineko all over again.
That's good to hear. I know when it was announced for 13 episodes with Kishi Seiji as the director, there were some concerns about how well it would be adapted particularly after Devil Survivor 2 (Though I have no idea how much control he actually had over that project). The episode count is still a bit worrying though.

From an anime only viewers point of view, first episode was pretty good considering how much it has to get out of the way (Introducing so many characters and the premise). I for one expect good things from this.
ETERNAL LURKER who rarely posts now sometimes posts, maybe
Politics, Religion, and Moé
"I remember when ISML was good"
"ISML has never been good"
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster

Post by kanohistorm » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:34 am

thanks meta.

and most of the rules are pretty common for ground rules of any games of this type, so not spoiler tag worthy.
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Minakami Yuki; Takako X Runa; Mioda Ibuki; Toono Ren... It's a long-ass list.

Post by Metaler » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:37 am

Darth Blitzer wrote:
Metaler wrote: The first episode was pretty faithful and well organized. I can only hope that it'll continue to be just as good and not turn into Umineko all over again.
That's good to hear. I know when it was announced for 13 episodes with Kishi Seiji as the director, there were some concerns about how well it would be adapted particularly after Devil Survivor 2 (Though I have no idea how much control he actually had over that project). The episode count is still a bit worrying though.

From an anime only viewers point of view, first episode was pretty good considering how much it has to get out of the way (Introducing so many characters and the premise). I for one expect good things from this.
I think 13 episodes will be enough. The game is particularly long if only because it has a bunch of "Free Time" segments during which Makoto can interact with the other characters and "bond" with them (read: you can get new skills and skill points to use during the Class Trial), and they're overall unnecessary to the story itself.
- Did you catch any pop culture references in the episode (character design, dialogue, signs, whatever)
This probably won't come up in the anime, but in the game, Makoto can obtain presents to give to other characters during Free Time. I'm not exactly sure what those do, but different characters will react differently depending on what you give them. Anyways, these presents are, as far as I know, almost all references to anime/manga/games/pop culture. For instance, you can actually get Solid Snake's ration, or Detective Conan's bow-tie.
Lolinekocchi
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Worships: Enomoto Takane / Ene
Wish: To marry Hyuuga in Kancolle before her 'birthday'

Post by Lolinekocchi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:05 am

I've read the Let's play already, and I won't comment much. My favorite characters out of them is Naegi and Chihiro but not only those two, I have another one...... Guess :P

The first episode is faithful, and I love it. I heard most of the staffs are fans of the games, so they tried to be as faithful as possible. I can see that.

And Soraru sang the ending. That gave a + already.
Currently busy with Teitoku works (read: Kancolle) and college.
JLoable91
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Izayoi Sakuya
Wish: Gotta nom 'em all!~

Post by JLoable91 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:09 am

Interesting episode and a cool plot, I'm already enjoying this one~
I'm not going to start liking characters however, I know how that would end! >__<
Though I have the feeling this is one of those 'the cunts always survive'-anime~ :p
Momo
State alchemist
State alchemist
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Akemi Homura
Melon Pan: 132
Wish: Yotsuba-chan♥

Post by Momo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:54 am

DanganronpaShow
>​kidnapped at the start >​trapped in a confined space >​forced to play a game >​girl from the past -- sounds like 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors which I played ages ago. But I adored 999 and I think I'll adore Danganronpa too~~

Personally I love Kirigiri Kyōko/Super High School Level ??? and Celestia Ludenberg/Super High School Level Gambler best, but I reckon Togami Byakuya/Super High School Level Scion is a pretty cool character, even though he's a bit of an asshat. Also obvious ship is obvious, but no commitments yet.
Currently downloading the game x3

Revenge Time~
Kudos to my amazing Secret Santa ♥
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami

Post by Metaler » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:01 am

Momokutenshi wrote:
DanganronpaShow
>​kidnapped at the start >​trapped in a confined space >​forced to play a game >​girl from the past -- sounds like 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors which I played ages ago. But I adored 999 and I think I'll adore Danganronpa too~~

Personally I love Kirigiri Kyōko/Super High School Level ??? and Celestia Ludenberg/Super High School Level Gambler best, but I reckon Togami Byakuya/Super High School Level Scion is a pretty cool character, even though he's a bit of an asshat. Also obvious ship is obvious, but no commitments yet.
Are you in love with Kirigiri's voice like I am? Oh god it's so delicious, I wish there were random voice clips of Hikasa Yoko somewhere.
shiraoky
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: the rwby ladies <3
Wish: more time to laze around and have fun!

Post by shiraoky » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:22 am

Momokutenshi wrote:
DanganronpaShow

<3 Yay, you started it! Glad you liked it too :3 and the same characters~<3
Thanks to M-J for the beautiful sigs<3~!
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Post by akumaxx » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Ep. 1Show
This recalls me of both Secret Game titles, where killing is the only method to survive. (Both are 18+ btw)
And here our Player One raises a flag, too soon. Bonus right after she freaks out too soon.
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow
Midnight-Jasper
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Badges:
Wish: viva all, baby~

Post by Midnight-Jasper » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Momokutenshi wrote:
DanganronpaShow

You need to play Virtue's Last Reward it's incredible.
Momo
State alchemist
State alchemist
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Momo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:46 am

Midnight-Jasper wrote:
Momokutenshi wrote:
DanganronpaShow

You need to play Virtue's Last Reward it's incredible.
I WANT TO ;A; I've wanted to since I finished 999 last year, but I don't have the consoles or game and I can't find an emulator TT-TT

Revenge Time~
HaloCapella
Time traveler
Time traveler
Worships: My Cuties!
Melon Pan: 55
2018 Female Favorite: Sawamura Spencer Eriri
2017 Female Favorite: Tanaka Asuka
Wish: Saimoe-chan's official debut.

Post by HaloCapella » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:30 am

honestly, im only on for the cute girls.

...even tho theyre all gonna die. >.>
Admiral Paru ~~ Pixiv DeviantArt Twitter Image
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
2017 Female Favorite: Megumin
2017 Male Favorite: Zen Wistalia
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:39 am

There's obviously a mole here, someone who will kill someone else in the next episode, be it with reason or not. Whoever is too obvious to be a culprit most likely is not. There a detective here, but I cannot say who, although ??? is a bit too blatant not to ignore. Guts tell me biker or bookworm is going to die first. There people seriously need names; it's hard to when there's fifteen names to remember continuously for 13 weeks.
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster

Post by kanohistorm » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:43 am

Momento10 wrote:There's obviously a mole here, someone who will kill someone else in the next episode, be it with reason or not. Whoever is too obvious to be a culprit most likely is not. There a detective here, but I cannot say who, although ??? is a bit too blatant not to ignore. Guts tell me biker or bookworm is going to die first. There people seriously need names; it's hard to when there's fifteen names to remember continuously for 13 weeks.
don't forget monokuma has the ability to manipulate or force events, even if he doesn't directly involve himself in the murder.
Momo
State alchemist
State alchemist
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Momo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:51 am

Momento10 wrote:There's obviously a mole here, someone who will kill someone else in the next episode, be it with reason or not. Whoever is too obvious to be a culprit most likely is not. There a detective here, but I cannot say who, although ??? is a bit too blatant not to ignore. Guts tell me biker or bookworm is going to die first. There people seriously need names; it's hard to when there's fifteen names to remember continuously for 13 weeks.
Well, on the bright side, when someone dies that's one less name to remember~ /morbid

As far as speculation goes....
Momo's WMGShow
  • Monokuma/the mastermind controlling him is among the students, à la SAO
  • Maizono Sayaka(SDHSIdol) is going to panic and go insane... or at least break under pressure.
  • Kirigiri Kyouko (SDHS???) is awesome and kuudere and I will like her♥
  • At least one of Kirigiri Kyouko/Celestia Ludenberg(SDHSGambler)/Byakuya Togami (SDHSScion) will die. If but by virtue of the fact that my favorite characters always die.
  • Fujisaki Chihiro (SDHSProgrammer) is a guy. My irl friend disagrees, but I swear....
  • They will eventually find a resolution without the protagonist killing anyone, but of 15, probably only the protagonist, his love interest and one, maybe two, others will survive. I'm hoping at least one of the survivors will be one of the ones I like.
  • Multiple someones will have backstories related to the school à la 999
  • Maizono Sayaka may be a decoy. Flag raised too early on usually isn't a good sign; however osananajimi may be a protective factor.
  • At least one death will be brutal
  • At least one death will be morally grey
  • At least one death will break my heart
I'll come back to this list as the anime shows, but about to start the game, so I'll try avoid any game spoilers.

Revenge Time~