In which sources you base your moe for ISML?

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

In which sources you base your moe for ISML?

Post by chaosprophet » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:54 am

While only characters that were part of an anime can participate in ISML many of them have series in other formats (manga, games, light novels, etc), and many times what the characters go through/scenes and even the characters personalities changes (in some cases that happens even inside the anime format) from one media to the other. So when choosing who to vote in ISML, in which of the sources the character appears that you consider? Why? Only consider anime version because it's an anime contest? Always prefer the original? Do you count things that aren't official?(fanmade for instance) What about Light Novels? Never read any? Can't feel a character moe from a book?

And if your answer is anime-only: Is it because you think it's an anime contest and all or because you don't really like/read manga?

I my case I just think of the rendition of the character I like the most/find the most moe. Don't really think of only what happened in the anime version or original version. Sometimes may even mix a bitwhat happened to the character in differents sources. Fanart and fanfic can influence me but usually when I get to them I already have a solid opinion about the character so it's not like they make me like a character I didn't before.
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Melon Pan: 105
2020 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2020 Male Favorite: Hei
2019 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2019 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Re: In which sources you base your moe for ISML?

Post by Fate » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:24 am

I strictly base it off of their representation in the anime and/or manga. The context in which they serve and their impact also affect their overall standing. I don't really scour for fanart/art of any kind unless the character really appeals to me. (hence, only Fate) I tend to look only upon their character attributes & development in the anime and/or manga because that's where most of their existing 'cuteness' originates from, seeing them come to life and convey various emotions is what matters the most. Furthermore, how and why they interact with the environment and others creates opportunities for the particular character to display signs of 'cuteness.' If they leave somewhat of an impression for them, I'll vote for them. Now don't get me started on Fate...her overall impact, impression, unlimited moe works are much too inexplicable for me to convey. o_O
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
Demi.
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Wish: To hug Fate-chan

Post by Demi. » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:03 am

It's a anime based contest, hence only anime should be considered. Fanart can seriously make a not-so-moe character look really moe, and I think that's pretty unfair as It's not even the same character anymore at that point. Who I vote is pretty linear anyways...I have no concern for anyone past my top 10, and even then, my top 3 are leaps and bounds above everyone else...I have about 10 impenetrable barriers seperating them, from everyone else...And another 50 seperating #1 from #3. That's just how it is.

So ya, anime only.
Basaka
Translator
Translator
Badges:

Post by Basaka » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:26 am

Whatever mode my brain is in. OTL.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Badges:
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Anime only. Fanart counts, but only if they are very close to how the characters look in anime. For example, if I follow fanart, then C.C. would be like #5 on my moe list.

But then again, it all depends on exposure. I spent ~ 17 hours of my life watching Code Geass and maybe 10 minutes total looking at C.C. fanart. Even if I consider fanart, it would only be a spur of the moment choice that would affect most likely 3 matches tops.

Exception goes to Touhou.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings, ISML Discord, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:57 pm

From my memory of each girl in their respective anime series. I thought I'd stress the memory part because as time passes, my impressions inevitably wanes along with it. Of course, the main basis for judging moe still lies in how they're portrayed in the anime. Fanarts are usually not a factor in the decision, because I rarely go look for pictures anyways. They only matter when I have to choose between girls of series I haven't watched, like, say, if Yami faces off against Shiki. In that instance, I'd vote for Yami due to seeing more fanart of her.
SpoilerShow
imbehindyou
Time traveler
Time traveler
Worships: Rena
Wish: Becoming Pokemon Master.  Wishes for: Becoming teh Master Hater.  Wishes for: James' Victreebel & Mime Jr. Secret Identity: I am a robot. 

Post by imbehindyou » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:22 am

Usually from anime. Manga if I've read. Game if I've played.
Also, sometimes, doujinshi's too, but usually I read only those of series that I'm interested in.

Just fanart, not really. Well, even for fanart, I go looking for characters that I already like and am interested in.
Eisdrache
Translator
Translator
Melon Pan: 55

Post by Eisdrache » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:26 pm

For series that I have seen: anime/manga
For series that I have not seen: Whatever is at hand, fan art, doujins, games, light novels, image collections, etc. My feeling is rarely wrong and when I think someone is moe on eg fan art then she mostly ends up being adorable in the anime.

Some examples:
Evangeline: I have only seen fan art, doujins and some youtube vids from her, yet I believe she is totally cute.
Yami/Golden Darkness: Absolutely adorable :333 I have yet to see one episode of TLR.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:50 pm

Eisdrache wrote:For series that I have seen: anime/manga
For series that I have not seen: Whatever is at hand, fan art, doujins, games, light novels, image collections, etc. My feeling is rarely wrong and when I think someone is moe on eg fan art then she mostly ends up being adorable in the anime.

Some examples:
Evangeline: I have only seen fan art, doujins and some youtube vids from her, yet I believe she is totally cute.
Yami/Golden Darkness: Absolutely adorable :333 I have yet to see one episode of TLR.
These comments.... I approve!! :D

You should give Negima and TLr manga a try then~ Negima is the best story ever (very biased opinion) and TLr is fun... if you don't mind that the plot ends nowhere :P
Fate wrote:I strictly base it off of their representation in the anime and/or manga.
imbehindyou wrote:Usually from anime. Manga if I've read. Game if I've played.
Eisdrache wrote:For series that I have seen: anime/manga
Did you all forgot to mention Light Novels? Never read any? Can't feel a character moe from a book?
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:

Post by Fate » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:42 pm

I don't think I've read any light novels. Nevertheless, I won't feel any 'cause there is only one special entity that I can feel the emanation of moe from. (unless she also has a light novel that I'm not aware of or there is the creation of one in the future)
Basaka
Translator
Translator
Badges:

Post by Basaka » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:36 am

I got Notogasm'd from a light novel =/
LazyCanuck
Chuunibyou
Chuunibyou

Post by LazyCanuck » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:42 am

Anime only, and sorta manga i guess (i only read 4 mangas anyway)

Fan art is nice to look at but it in absolutely no way affects my moe judgments because fan art is usually fake stuff, and almost never represents the actual character so i dont bother with it.

chaosprophet wrote:Did you all forgot to mention Light Novels? Never read any? Can't feel a character moe from a book?
no. i have a horrible imagination so I hate books. I also need to see pictures of the characters to make a good moe opinion and Books never have anywhere near enough.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:02 pm

LazyCanuck wrote:Anime only, and sorta manga i guess (i only read 4 mangas anyway)
Happy that Negima is one of those few! :bigsmile:

Well I think it's hard to ignore manga when you read it even if it's an anime contest... many anime just is a part of the manga, losing developement and moe scenes from the characters that never was animated or may only be animated way later but still is part of the char (I believe LazyCanuck may have understand it after reading negima~).

Anyway many answered anime-only but is it because they think it's an anime contest and all or because they don't really like/read manga? (Demi is probably an example of this).
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:

Post by Fate » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:25 pm

I think more people prefer the anime counterpart because it includes color, sounds, special effects, animated scenes, and voices. It's natural I guess.
Cytrus
Translator
Translator
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Cytrus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:58 pm

A mix of all sources if they are consistent. If not, points go to:

a) the format in which a series itself impressed me the most - if I'm at least somewhat emotionally invested in the series

b) the format in which the character herself left the biggest impression on me - if I don't care for a series, but a character still managed to catch my eye

When voting Nagato, I make no distinction between the novels and anime but ignore the Yuki-chan spin-off (not consistent). When voting McDowell, on the other hand, the anime doesn't even come to mind.

As for fanart, I do what almost everybody here does (whether they realize it or not): I take it into consideration if it agrees with my pre-established vision of a character, discard it otherwise.

And as somebody already mentioned, Touhou requires a separate rulebook.
FF.net account:: Railgun, Higurashi/Umineko, Haruhi, L*S, HnG, Touhou...
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:28 pm

I tend to only enjoy fanworks when they agree with the original anime/manga, so that's basically where my opinions come from. Generally the manga is further along in the storyline, so if a character is moe in the manga, they're going to be moe in the anime as well.
Actions speak better for moe personally, I prefer the non-vocal traits, which come across in manga just as well.
If I haven't seen any of the canon sources before I vote for ISML, I go by the picture, but take a grain of salt with me because it doesn't always show their best trait. Kana of Saki for instance, her moe trait for me is her cat ears and fangs, but neither are shown in her ISML picture.

Additionally, I generally group known characters, and 'moe quotient' is generally one of the lowest. I don't generally think of Hinagiku as 'moe' because she ranks higher in the 'respectability' standings.
Last edited by Bastion on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie AB is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?
Confusing statements are fun :p
Medaka Kurokami wrote:People aren't meant to protect the rules, rules are meant to protect people
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... nner-1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]

ImageImage
*Puts Nagi behind the drums and Hinagiku at the front with the mike and a guitar*
Banners made by Midnight Jasper & Marinara
Kordosa wrote:I can just imagine all of the Hinagiku facepalming moments. That alone is worth it.
HnG chapter 333 pg 9 wrote:She (Hinagiku) realized an incredibly obvious but oft overlooked point: One had to read the manga before they could give their judgment of it.
ithekro wrote:Remember you aren't allowed to use your powers for evil.
With great power comes great responsibility
Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Tomoya Okazaki wrote:Can I beat you until you're motionless?
MegaTokyo wrote:Some of us are just a little more screwed up than others.
Saber (maglor) wrote:It is not how much, but it is where the king spends that tells what kind of king he is.
Rito wrote:Men don't decide whether they like someone or not based solely on breast size.
Kordosa wrote:Boy, I really need to learn to keep my questions to myself. It only makes things worse.
The lunatics around you are once again doing something to lower your opinion of human intelligence. ~Face Palm
Your sense of time tells you how much of your life has been wasted because you didn't take us at our word. ~Cracked.com
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Azu-nyan, Hina-chan, Aoyama-chan and Subaru-nyan-chan
aly_angelflight
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Miyanaga Saki
Wish: A job to just land on my lap

Post by aly_angelflight » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:50 am

As long as I have watched at least 3 episodes of the anime, read 1 volume of the manga, or played at least half of the game, I am willing to vote in ISML for that character (unless they show up later on--then apply those ranges afterwards). After that, I believe I can form an opinion on their cute moe levels. Everything else either does nothing or adds moe levels (only canon material can subtract moe IMO).

Even the seiyuu have their effect, though. Ueda Kana's voice is so moe that I'm willing to ignore my abstaining policy if Rin happens to go against Suigintou (who is not moe IMO) or someone I don't know. ^_^;
niwa87
Rinshan kaihou
Rinshan kaihou
Badges:
Worships: Haachama~
Melon Pan: 97
2020 Female Favorite: Nakano Nino
2020 Male Favorite: Uesugi Fūtarō
2019 Female Favorite: Sawamura Spencer Eriri
2019 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma
2018 Female Favorite: Teruhashi Kokomi
2018 Male Favorite: Saiki Kusuo
Wish: My wishes come true...

Post by niwa87 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Based on which media i find the character is the most moe. Usually based on manga/anime/visual novel, but fanarts are fine too :smile: . If the specific character i think only moe in manga but not anime, i will only make the decission only based on manga.
Please excuse my lousy English...
My brain goes Haachamachama~
dotKuro
Mahou shoujo
Mahou shoujo
Melon Pan: 0

Post by dotKuro » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 pm

Official media only. The one exception is Fate, whom I vote for for her first-season representation. In the other seasons she became far too human.
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:

Post by Fate » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:53 pm

dotKuro wrote:Official media only. The one exception is Fate, whom I vote for for her first-season representation. In the other seasons she became far too human.
Hm I'm curious. Isn't this necessarily a good thing?