Your Dropped Anime List

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Re: Your Dropped Anime List

Post by Reverend » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:58 am

HasbeenaHibiki wrote:Puella Magi Madoka Magica- I did like the characters but I felt like it over relied on shock factors.

Himouto Umaru-chan might be a drop since so far the characters that I enjoy are Sylphin and Ebina-chan the rest are either annoying or blah. The way the series is formatted it might been better if it was a 7-10 min anime instead of 24 minutes.
should stay for Madoka. It's a nice story and will be well-enveloped later. Plus Sayaka story is just so good.
Umaru... should drop it if you don't like it. It's not going to change, the SoL and the jokes and stuffs. Ebina best girl, though <3

OMG somebody actually likes Sylphynford.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Nero Claudius
Melon Pan: 120
2020 Female Favorite: Nero Claudius
2020 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Araragi Koyomi
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Kyon
Wish: Anime girls to take over the world

Post by Chibasa » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:49 am

Puella Magi Madoka Magica- I did like the characters but I felt like it over relied on shock factors.
One of the biggest mistake in your life :onion117: How many episodes did you see? Between episode 3&10, as long as you see some episodes as long it's become better.
ImageImage
Secret Santax Time
much more stuff than ToadyShow
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hikarin is the best
HasbeenaHibiki
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: セニョール・ハズビーナ, ダークライ,クン・アゲロ・アグネス
Melon Pan: 201
2020 Female Favorite: Nakano Miku
2020 Male Favorite: Kakyoin Noriaki
2019 Female Favorite: Platelet
2019 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
2018 Female Favorite: Kurumizawa Satanichia McDowell
2018 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
Wish: A precure making it in ISML and a very popular male Saimoe. Also a Mucha Lucha anime. Darkrai in Saimoe

Post by HasbeenaHibiki » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:07 am

Chibasa wrote:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica- I did like the characters but I felt like it over relied on shock factors.
One of the biggest mistake in your life :onion117: How many episodes did you see? Between episode 3&10, as long as you see some episodes as long it's become better.
I've seen about 6 episodes for Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:
Melon Pan: 55
2020 Female Favorite: Shiina Mashiro
2020 Male Favorite: Lelouch Lamperouge
2019 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2019 Male Favorite: Levi
2018 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2018 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma

Post by Homura » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:59 am

@Hibiki I think Madoka is not amazing as many people said. It's okay, even I'm an Urobuchi fan. I know somebody who can't finish the anime, so I can somewhat understand why you dropped it.
10ZHAbin
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Leina
Melon Pan: 50

Post by 10ZHAbin » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:01 am

It's a little late, but last year I picked up Accel World just to have it completed since there wasn't many episodes left anyway. The Noumi arc was terrible, however if there is ever a new season I will consider watching it.
Also, dropped Tokyo Ghoul √A.
HelixDraxzonyx
Rogue
Rogue
Worships: Ruiko Saten
Wish: To see one of my stories/fan fictions made into an anime

Post by HelixDraxzonyx » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:23 pm

HasbeenaHibiki wrote:Puella Magi Madoka Magica- I did like the characters but I felt like it over relied on shock factors.
I can relate to that a bit. I never dropped it, but I *was* very disappointed in it. Had to wait a full series for an ending I saw coming right from episode one. I typically avoid shows that are *that* predictable. Also, the constant crying just made my skin crawl. I've not seen the movie *yet* (and to be honest I don't have a particularly strong motivation to do so any time soon. I *will* watch it eventually, I just don't know when), so my overall opinion of the franchise may change a little, but I wouldn't count on a big one. If anyone's interested, my favourite character from that series is Homura, for obvious reasons (assuming you've seen the last 3-4 episodes when you learn everything about her that is).
In Sword Art Online, a single blade could take you anywhere. In my world, a single pen can destroy that blade, or transform it into something that can change the world for millennia to come. Allow me to reveal to you the infinite power of a writer.
Tokei Shikake Tenshi
Rogue
Rogue
Worships: Yuki Kajiura
Wish: Chocolate sundaes

Post by Tokei Shikake Tenshi » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:39 pm

I really like Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Personally, I think the symbolism and visuals are amazing. I really like how the universe works as a balance between the forces of good. Sayaka's story is just the best, despite the fact I like Kyouko and Madoka too.
But again, it portrays too much of despair and hopelessness. Urobutcher relies too much on character death and tragedy to evoke emotions.
ImageThanks to Hikari-chan for the amazing signature!
Gyate~Show
Image Image Image
Meguca, Donut-chan and Neptune
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:49 pm

Tokei Shikake Tenshi wrote: But again, it portrays too much of despair and hopelessness. Urobutcher relies too much on character death and tragedy to evoke emotions.
Actually, it is his way of handling the script that makes all those deaths and tragedies useful to the story.
How good he is at handling each character's response to the deaths and the tragedies that happen.
He plays with the trauma instead of the just "We will move on from it + a little cry" trick OP characters usually act.

The death thing is just a bad habit of his.
Lots of writers have a little "Chuunibyou" inside them, their "dark side", including him. That is part of his Chuunibyou. :P
I do agree he needs to be more creative and do his best to not create death at almost every opportunity. And I think he has done his best to improve over the years (if you look at his CV,) but well... Urobutcher. ^^;
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Chibasa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:51 pm

He does pretty well in the last movie :3
ImageImage
Secret Santax Time
Hikarin is the best
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Death
Melon Pan: 81
Wish: hehehe......poggers....

Post by Kiwigiwi » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:05 pm

I'm not sure if you guys are aware but Urobuchi is a nihilist. He says himself that when he sees people of justice, he wants to destroy them. He's not a chuunibyou, he hates people in general. He also thinks love is a mental illness. Yeah. I'm not sure how you guys managed to miss that important detail when talking about him, but don't expect him to drop his habit of making all his series bleak, tragic and filled with deaths. Expecting him to make something happy is like expecting a cat to bark. And even when Urobuchi is a nihilist, he still writes trauma from a loved one's death a lot more realistic in his works than most other mainstream anime.

It's fine if you're not a fan of super edgy stuff. But yeah. Urobuchi isn't your guy for something light hearted. You can't expect him to. Go into ANY of his works with a bullet proof heart. Brace yourself for edgy, dark story telling. Expecting otherwise would be like expecting action from a hentai.

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
♫ Much love to my secret santa of 2016 ♥
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Chibasa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:19 pm

Kurogarasu wrote:I'm not sure if you guys are aware but Urobuchi is a nihilist. He says himself that when he sees people of justice, he wants to destroy them. He's not a chuunibyou, he hates people in general. He also thinks love is a mental illness. Yeah. I'm not sure how you guys managed to miss that important detail when talking about him, but don't expect him to drop his habit of making all his series bleak, tragic and filled with deaths. Expecting him to make something happy is like expecting a cat to bark. And even when Urobuchi is a nihilist, he still writes trauma from a loved one's death a lot more realistic in his works than most other mainstream anime.

It's fine if you're not a fan of super edgy stuff. But yeah. Urobuchi isn't your guy for something light hearted. You can't expect him to. Go into ANY of his works with a bullet proof heart. Brace yourself for edgy, dark story telling. Expecting otherwise would be like expecting action from a hentai.
He's more than nihilist, he's Nietzsche fanboy #1. :D
ImageImage
Secret Santax Time
Hikarin is the best
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Death
Melon Pan: 81
Wish: hehehe......poggers....

Post by Kiwigiwi » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:21 pm

Chibasa wrote: He's more than nihilist, he's Nietzsche fanboy #1. :D
Oh my god you know Nietzsche?? I love you <3
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in suffering." - Friedrich Nietzsche

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
♫ Much love to my secret santa of 2016 ♥
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Chibasa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:34 pm

SpoilerShow
Homura is like Übermensch definition. He's really good to build characters, it's amazing.
But part not mentioned here about Puella Magi awesomeness is the BGM/OST. Yuki Kajiura is my goddess :love:
ImageImage
Secret Santax Time
Hikarin is the best
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:13 pm

The final bit was given away in the TITLE of the show. You had to be someone who likes spoilers to enjoy Madoka, but it was a very good show at what it did.
I was wondering how long they'd make us wait for it actually.
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:

Post by Homura » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:28 pm

While watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica, not a moment it made my pupil dilated (as far as I can recall). I guess I didn't really get into the anime. Well, that's not important after all.

Some more important, if any of you feel like you indeed like Urobuchi's writing, I suggest finding some time to watch Psycho-Pass season 1 (even Urobuchi only did part of the script). It's fun.
Tokei Shikake Tenshi
Rogue
Rogue

Post by Tokei Shikake Tenshi » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:07 pm

I won't deny that he's a master in handling the aftermath of the death, but death isn't the only way to get around things, know what I mean? I feel as he relies too much on despair to add depth to a character, which doesn't really work for me. IMO despair doesn't add any depth. That's just me, though. Still love the characters to bit <3

Wow, I had no idea he's a nihilist. I'm not really sure I agree with that. Rather than say 'he's half dead', I'd rather say 'he's half alive'. It's a weirdly childish ideology, but each to his own. Anyway, I've read he's nearly lost his life in an epidemic, which probably influenced his life. Each to his own.

Also, I'm a Kamen Rider fan. So maybe you need to read this before you completely understand my dislike for Madoka's popularity (rather than the show itself):
SpoilerShow
Gyate~Show
Image Image Image
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Tokei Shikake Tenshi wrote:I feel as he relies too much on despair to add depth to a character, which doesn't really work for me. IMO despair doesn't add any depth. That's just me, though. Still love the characters to bit <3
The "death' thing... I already replied about it so I'm not going to do it again.

But about despair... well, if you disagree that death can help explore a character and develop them then it's okay.
But what despair does isn't just that. It also gives the certain character as well as the watchers : sadness, the feeling of loss and the feeling of meaning-less, as well as the wish to change and further: hope of tomorrow.
When one character feels despair, usually it ought to affect other characters which in terms would bring you to that troupe I said: "We will become stronger" etc etc.
Or even if it doesn't, usually something ought to happen to the story that would help the character and the story progress.
It's because leaving despair just like that in a story tends to have a... "half-bitten" feelings. Like: the story isn't complete etc etc and writers of television shows often don't dare to take the bet and do that, because it usually won't be accepted well by people who have been spending their time on a regular basis watching it and expecting a proper ending.
If it's a movie, it's different, though.

Tokei Shikake Tenshi wrote:Also, I'm a Kamen Rider fan. So maybe you need to read this before you completely understand my dislike for Madoka's popularity (rather than the show itself):
SpoilerShow
I... don't have to explain this, am I?

It's symbolism, and also a troupe(s) that has been used for years, and Kamen Rider isn't the first to package it that way, either.
(I watched Kamen Rider Ryuki, too. Don't watch many of it because I don't like Kamen Rider but I have to admit that despite everything, Kamen Rider Ryuki is pretty decent and actually got me expecting it.)

Sorry, I'm too lazy + a bit too busy to open some reference and talk about it, after all.
But I'd like to recommend reading some of the inspirations for these two shows: Stephen King works, and of course, Nietzsche.
Not that you'll find the reason for the similarities there, but you'd understand why two shows with same inspirations can end up with the same progression.

ps.: Oh shit I ended up writing a reply long enough for an essay. I have to cut a lot of things out. ._.
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:

Post by Homura » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:06 am

Tokei Shikake Tenshi wrote:I won't deny that he's a master in handling the aftermath of the death, but death isn't the only way to get around things, know what I mean? I feel as he relies too much on despair to add depth to a character, which doesn't really work for me. IMO despair doesn't add any depth. That's just me, though. Still love the characters to bit <3
I think as long as the despair comes in a natural way/doesn't seem to be forced, it's fine. If only talking about death, I personally think that death is the most proper ending for most characters that died in his work.
Tokei Shikake Tenshi
Rogue
Rogue

Post by Tokei Shikake Tenshi » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:06 am

@Reverend:
I get what you're trying to say but it's difference of perspective here :) As for Urobuchi's works, PMMM was my first one, and obviously my most liked. Saya no Uta is just a no-no for me. Maybe I'm not deep enough to understand it X)
I've read Stephen King (I'm sort of a wimp, so... yeah), I'll try to read Nietzsche too. Thanks for the recommendation.
Gyate~Show
Image Image Image
HelixDraxzonyx
Rogue
Rogue
Worships: Ruiko Saten
Wish: To see one of my stories/fan fictions made into an anime

Post by HelixDraxzonyx » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:16 pm

Kurogarasu wrote:expecting a cat to bark
I think there's about 500 videos of this on Youtube. Probably more than that actually. I've also seen the reverse (dogs meowing). Not that that means anything really, just thought I'd say it.
Homura wrote:While watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica, not a moment it made my pupil dilated (as far as I can recall). I guess I didn't really get into the anime.
You're not alone there. No anime has brought me to even a single tear yet, though some have come close. Then again, I don't watch anime to cry.

It sounds like I might want to avoid Urobuchi's works. I don't mind a little tragedy every now and then to break up the monotony of constant happy endings, but Nihilism is not my cup of tea. Sounds like he'd vomit if he watched Fate/Stay Night, if that's how he feels about "Heroes of Justice". For my own part, I prefer Anti-heroes to righteous heroes. Bad guy realist occasionally doing the right thing, or naively optmistic hero vomiting rainbows and unicorns... gee it's a tough choice.
In Sword Art Online, a single blade could take you anywhere. In my world, a single pen can destroy that blade, or transform it into something that can change the world for millennia to come. Allow me to reveal to you the infinite power of a writer.