Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Post Reply

Benevolent Dictator or Empowering the populace ?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:45 pm

Reinhard von Lohengramm
2
50%
Yang Wen-li
2
50%
 
Total votes: 4
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Archer
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by maglor » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:07 am

Of all anime rivalries, this one had meaning that resonated profoundly in political thoughts of East Asian countries, popping up in many discussions about politics and leaderships. The discussion about these characters still is relevant, as they represent opposite ways to bring about a needed change. So, for whatever the reason who is your choice?

Reinhard von Lohengramm : http://gineipaedia.com/wiki/Reinhard_von_Lohengramm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Yang Wen-li : http://gineipaedia.com/wiki/Yang_Wen-li" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P.S. Of all the obscure rivalry, if there is one you should take the time to know better, I think this is the one. Your nation's future may depend on it. If you have only a little time, at least read this : http://gineipaedia.com/wiki/Yang_Wen-li ... ble_quotes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One missing quote : There are plenty of heroes at the Bar during the night, but very few heroes sitting in Dentist Chair

Please feel free to comment , list your reasons, or suggest an Anime rivalry that attracted lots of attentions and heated debates.
Last edited by maglor on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:25 am
Badges:
Melon Pan: 55
2019 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2019 Male Favorite: Levi
2018 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2018 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma
2017 Female Favorite: Katō Megumi
2017 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma
Location: China

Re: Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by Homura » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:36 am

Voted for Reinhard. I haven't watched Legend of Galactic Heroes, but that quote "My conquest is the sea of stars" is so famous.
Image
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Archer
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Re: Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by maglor » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:12 am

In terms of quotes, Yang really has good quotes, some which has profound meaning about human society. Still, it is hard to deny the charm of Reinhard who brought much needed reforms in one fell swoop.
Image
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Archer
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Re: Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by maglor » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:18 pm

I do need to say one more thing. A person told me this : " When you are young, you like Reinhard, but as you gets older and wiser, you change to Yang " . Will post #3 after sleeping on it for one more day.
Image
User avatar
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Posts: 5614
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:58 am
Badges:
Image
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.
Location: existing
Contact:

Re: Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by Bastion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:08 pm

maglor wrote:One missing quote : There are plenty of heroes at the Bar during the night, but very few heroes sitting in Dentist Chair
Anime/Manga heros don't need no dentists :p
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Archer
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Re: Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by maglor » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Bastion wrote:
maglor wrote:One missing quote : There are plenty of heroes at the Bar during the night, but very few heroes sitting in Dentist Chair
Anime/Manga heros don't need no dentists :p
But, you do.
Image
User avatar
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Posts: 5614
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:58 am
Badges:
Image
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.
Location: existing
Contact:

Re: Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by Bastion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:44 pm

maglor wrote:
Bastion wrote:
maglor wrote:One missing quote : There are plenty of heroes at the Bar during the night, but very few heroes sitting in Dentist Chair
Anime/Manga heros don't need no dentists :p
But, you do.
probably :p
User avatar
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Posts: 2305
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:07 am
Badges:
Image
Melon Pan: 65
Contact:

Re: Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by Eater-of-All » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:59 pm

+1 for the magician
Image
SpoilerShow
Image
User avatar
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Posts: 2415
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:33 pm
Badges:
Image
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.
Location: Brasil
Contact:

Re: Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by chaosprophet » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Unfortunately I was slow and missed the pool. My vote would have been for Yang Wen-li.

Funny that I just watched their talk at the end of season 2. Reinhard set out and did great things with his sense of justice and driving ambition. But I like more how Yang acts, always trying to look at the big picture, both of his nation but also for all of humanity, thinking not just about the now but the consequences in the distant future. Even thought that is a burden that many times stop him or make him hesitate.

I also like more the atmosphere of Yang's group. Reinhard had a group of people that admire and respect him from afar, with only one who was a true friend. While Yang's group feels much more like a family. Which made a certain scene around 3/4 of the series much more touching.
Image
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Archer
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Re: Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by maglor » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:45 pm

chaosprophet wrote:Unfortunately I was slow and missed the pool. My vote would have been for Yang Wen-li.

Funny that I just watched their talk at the end of season 2. Reinhard set out and did great things with his sense of justice and driving ambition. But I like more how Yang acts, always trying to look at the big picture, both of his nation but also for all of humanity, thinking not just about the now but the consequences in the distant future. Even thought that is a burden that many times stop him or make him hesitate.

I also like more the atmosphere of Yang's group. Reinhard had a group of people that admire and respect him from afar, with only one who was a true friend. While Yang's group feels much more like a family. Which made a certain scene around 3/4 of the series much more touching.
I have reopened the poll for you and others. Please vote or revote.

I like to also throw a talking point to be debated. In my opinion, one of the thing a good leader must do is to make other people better, thus being capable of handling things in his absence . While Yang always talked about general public rising to the occasion, he rarely did things that promoted growth in his generals and captains. Reinhard, in other hand, forced his people to do new things and/or improve themselves. For example, he publicly praised some of his generals that showed or developed talents in non-military matters. He also promoted educations and researches in many area, and was keenly interested in how well his people can handle public administrations and logistics. Many of the economic reforms he enacted actually was to empower those who are poor or weak. While it may be better to heed Yang's words, as a leader, Reinhard clearly is superior, not only for the present, but also for nearby future as well.


Another talking point. Reinhard seems to be idealized version of Cao Cao while Yang is like slightly lazy version of Zhuge Liang. Comments ?
Image
User avatar
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Posts: 5614
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:58 am
Badges:
Image
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.
Location: existing
Contact:

Re: Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by Bastion » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:32 pm

maglor wrote:I like to also throw a talking point to be debated. In my opinion, one of the thing a good leader must do is to make other people better, thus being capable of handling things in his absence . While Yang always talked about general public rising to the occasion, he rarely did things that promoted growth in his generals and captains. Reinhard, in other hand, forced his people to do new things and/or improve themselves. For example, he publicly praised some of his generals that showed or developed talents in non-military matters. He also promoted educations and researches in many area, and was keenly interested in how well his people can handle public administrations and logistics. Many of the economic reforms he enacted actually was to empower those who are poor or weak. While it may be better to heed Yang's words, as a leader, Reinhard clearly is superior, not only for the present, but also for nearby future as well.
Gotta prepare people to get things done when you're not around to do them. Whether that be because you've passed on or because you're occupied somewhere else, things still have to get done and if you train people right, it causes things to get done better and makes you look better in retrospect.
User avatar
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Posts: 2305
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:07 am
Badges:
Image
Melon Pan: 65
Contact:

Re: Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by Eater-of-All » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:01 am

maglor wrote:I like to also throw a talking point to be debated. In my opinion, one of the thing a good leader must do is to make other people better, thus being capable of handling things in his absence . While Yang always talked about general public rising to the occasion, he rarely did things that promoted growth in his generals and captains. Reinhard, in other hand, forced his people to do new things and/or improve themselves. For example, he publicly praised some of his generals that showed or developed talents in non-military matters. He also promoted educations and researches in many area, and was keenly interested in how well his people can handle public administrations and logistics. Many of the economic reforms he enacted actually was to empower those who are poor or weak. While it may be better to heed Yang's words, as a leader, Reinhard clearly is superior, not only for the present, but also for nearby future as well.
For what it's worth, I don't see Yang as a leader. He's like a history teacher accidentally caught up in an interplanetary war. He's the type of guy you'd have a beer with. Reinhard is a good leader, but he doesn't pass the beer test. :bigsmile:
Image
SpoilerShow
Image
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Archer
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Re: Historical Anime Rivalry #2, Reinhard vs Yang

Post by maglor » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:35 am

Eater-of-All wrote:
maglor wrote:I like to also throw a talking point to be debated. In my opinion, one of the thing a good leader must do is to make other people better, thus being capable of handling things in his absence . While Yang always talked about general public rising to the occasion, he rarely did things that promoted growth in his generals and captains. Reinhard, in other hand, forced his people to do new things and/or improve themselves. For example, he publicly praised some of his generals that showed or developed talents in non-military matters. He also promoted educations and researches in many area, and was keenly interested in how well his people can handle public administrations and logistics. Many of the economic reforms he enacted actually was to empower those who are poor or weak. While it may be better to heed Yang's words, as a leader, Reinhard clearly is superior, not only for the present, but also for nearby future as well.
For what it's worth, I don't see Yang as a leader. He's like a history teacher accidentally caught up in an interplanetary war. He's the type of guy you'd have a beer with. Reinhard is a good leader, but he doesn't pass the beer test. :bigsmile:
Well, I suspect Yang prefers Scotch or Brandy over beer, while Reinhard would prefer sparkling wine. Yang can drink you under the table, but I doubt Reinhard can.
Image
Post Reply