Kantai Collection

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem
Worships: Moriya Suwako's hat
Melon Pan: 50
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Eugeo
2018 Female Favorite: Yamada Elf
2018 Male Favorite: Willem Kmetsch
2017 Female Favorite: Darkness
2017 Male Favorite: Roy Mustang
Wish: A third season of Spice and Wolf.

Kantai Collection

Post by Kordosa » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:17 am

I didn't find a series thread for this, so I thought I'd make one for all the fans forum use.

I just watched the first episode on CR. Spoilered for length:
KanColle, episode 1Show
So, I must confess that I know nothing about KanColle, other than it is based off a collectible card video game in the mecha-musume genre which uses the Japanese Imperial Navy from World War II as source material. And I've already become aware of the huge fandom that's sprung up over the last year or so, with numerous KanColle images springing up on Danbooru and the like, but other than that, this is my first real introduction. On top of that, I have also not watched any other mecha-musume anime like Strike Witches, etc. So I basically went into this completely blind. The result is me being completely lost due to the following issues:
  1. Mecha-musume genre
    • Already having been aware of the genre still didn't prepare me for the need to adjust to it. Is it just the genre in general, or more specific to how KanColle was presented in this episode, but I had a hard time wrapping my head around the establishment of the setting. From what I could tell, these are normal girls that simply have awesome cybernetic-like weapon attachments (and embody the spirits of their namesake WWII-era ships). Ok. I've watched four seasons of Ikkitousen where the characters are modern day teenage brawlers who are more or less reincarnations of their Romance of the Three Kingdoms namesakes, so the spiritual aspect I can understand. But then Akagi and the other carrier-class ships used bows to shoot arrows that morph into warplanes... I get it; they're carriers, but it took me off guard for a bit.
  2. Humongous cast
    • A navy isn't going to have a handful of ships, so I was prepared for this. "Collection" is in the name after all. Thankfully, the first episode establishes different battle groups, which should make learning the characters a bit easier. (This is what I did with Touhou.) I guess starting off with Fubuki will be first since it seems she's the main character. What I really hated was the fact that I am totally unfamiliar with actual Japanese WWII history (thank you, public high school education) other than the very end (also Pearl Harbor), so during most of the episode, I was worrying that since I am unfamiliar with the histories of the various real life ships, that the significance of the various interactions among the characters was being lost on me. Now of course, I've watched Ikkitousen, and Sengoku Collection (which bases its characters loosely on historical figures from the Sengoku Period) and was reasonably entertained (to various degrees) without needing to know the histories, but possessing that knowledge beforehand is always a bonus.
  3. Inside jokes/memes/etc.
    • While I haven't actively pursued anything KanColle-related, its spread on Danbooru over the past year or so, makes it seem as nearly as pervasive as Touhou. And knowing Touhou's fandom, I can only assume KanColle's fandom also possesses numerous memes, references, and other inside jokes. All of which have gone over my head thus far.
As a result of the above issues, I mostly just watched the episode, as opposed to understood or enjoyed it.

If pushed, I would probably say that while a few of the battle scenes were nice, others didn't have that epic feeling to them. Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam is the closest anime that I've watched that had any sort of aerial/naval warfare and its scenes were impressive. But with KanColle's very nature, close-ups of the girls is necessitated, and since I'm not already a fan, is a little jarring, because of the unfamiliarity. At the very least, I didn't mind the clothing damage to the girls when they got hit. It makes sense, and it helps that having watched four seasons of Ikkitousen, I'm already desensitized to the phenomenon of "exploding t-shirts".

I think the main issue is simply getting to a place of comfortable familiarity with the show. I'll stick with it, just to see if that happens organically, or if I will be forced to do so myself independent of the anime.
Edit: Added missing italics to title instance; rearranged sentence clause structure in one sentence for clarity; clarified thread is for anyone (not just the fans).
Last edited by Kordosa on Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
shiraoky wrote:I'm always squeeing lol.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Re: Kantai Collection

Post by akumaxx » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:25 am

Though I'm not an admiral, I know something about the game.
Ep. 2Show
Stuffs:
- They are making some unofficial characteristics into official ones, like Akagi's super capacity of meals, and Adachi being a bit higher than average age of marriage.
- Many players refer "repair" as "taking a bath" and it becomes real. And there is the bucket of "quick repair" which has limited methods to obtain.
- Saying about the repairing, someone calculated the time and got the conclusion that: Akagi is married. (which means her level is above 99, the first level cap which can be broken by doing special missions named "marriage (beta)".)
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:04 am

Guess I'll be moving my KanColle episode impressions/reactions here, then. (See here for my episode 1 impressions/reactions.)
Kantai Collection ep. 02Show
- Ah yes, Ashigara the Christmas cake"Hungry Wolf." (A reference to the British journalists commenting on Ashigara's spartan living quarters compared to her Western counterparts. The Japanese took it as a compliment. KanColle fandom made the interpretation that she's always on the lookout for men.)
- "Bucket Queen." I almost forgot that other nickname of Akagi's... :lol: (Instant Repair Buckets are frequently used on Akagi due to her long repair time.) *A few scenes later* Oh, so they do portray her as a big eater! :D

Anyway, Fubuki gets some much-needed special training. And thank goodness it pays off...sorta. Despite being overshadowed by the more popular shipgirls, Fubuki's starting to grow on me. At least Yamato, Zuikaku and (the other) Takao do appear in the opening credits. Now if only Isuzu, Houshou and Ryuujou would appear...
P.S.: I don't play the game as well, but curiosity got the better of me (those fanarts are everywhere!) and I started to like some of the shipgirls. Plus, Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova was also promoting the KanColle game (some of the characters, at least) via crossover end cards. Like so:

(Different characters, both based on this warship. From left: KanColle Kongo, Arpeggio Kongo.)
"Rip and Tear. Rip and tear until it's done."
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: Erika Sendou
Melon Pan: 181
Wish: a kookie?

Post by kanohistorm » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:41 am

fun fact: Arpeggio was in the KanColle game for a brief period of time during last year's christmas. We called it the fog event

http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/Takao_%28fog%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

she was pretty OP, lol
too bad you weren't able to keep them afterwards
spoiler alert :3
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi

Post by akumaxx » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:25 pm

^Actually you may get Iona and Haruna as well, but they are OP comparing to common ships (armed with barrier and multi-attacks, and more).
== Low Activity ==
Previous cardsShow
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto
2017 Female Favorite: Kanbe Kotori
2017 Male Favorite: Sakamaki Izayoi

Post by RailWarrior » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:49 pm

Kantai Collection Episode 3Show
I can't help but smile at that ending. Seriously, YES!

Obviously I'm sad about Kisaragi, and also quite liked her character, but at the same time KanColle just took a VERY welcomed (and also very needed) plot twist. Good job, Kusakawa. You turned KanColle from an average slice-of-life into something worth looking forward to weekly.
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Orihime Inoue
Melon Pan: 60
Wish: For sugar to not be unhealthy, and campaigning to be easier

Post by Desufire » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Shit. Now I have to actually watch something this season.
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:
Melon Pan: 55
2019 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2019 Male Favorite: Levi
2018 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2018 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma
2017 Female Favorite: Katō Megumi
2017 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma

Post by Homura » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:53 am

Kantai Collection Episode 3Show
The rule of third episode @ Tomoe Mami
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:13 am

Kantai Collection ep. 03Show
- A proper appearance by (the other) Takao... Good, good. Now to see her in action...
- Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if Ooi becomes more forward with her "psycho lesbian" routine towards Kitakami.
- Wow, Fubuki gets the "Gold Star" (MVP?) award for protecting Mutsuki, but...
- ...they sunk Kisaragi-chan, man! (Well, the fan speculation was correct. All that foreshadowing and death flags earlier--plus the knowledge of what actually happened historically to Kisaragi--didn't help, either...)

At least Mami has a new companion now...
I'm just gonna add these in case anyone's interested:

Let's Plays on YouTube:

- "JngImpera" - A Japanese guy who speaks English. (If you want the POV of a Japanese KanColle player without the need for English subtitles, he's your man.)
- "Tetsamaru" - A non-Japanese KanColle player and also a Touhou fan. His LP covers the initial stages (from choosing a starter ship to the first few levels) up to whatever events are going on since he started the LP. (And there's subtitles for the shipgirls' names and in-game lines, so you won't be lost.)
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
Eibbor82
Gundam
Gundam
Worships: Mutual respect
2017 Female Favorite: Rem
2017 Male Favorite: Yato
Wish: To improve

Post by Eibbor82 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:52 am

Kantai Collection episode 3Show
Of course. I, with my extremely limited knowledge of the franchise, finally pick a tentative favorite. Not five minutes later, she dies. Great. Just absolutely wonderful.

On another note, I can't wait to see Mutsuki's tortured face when she finds out. My heart will die, but the despair is delicious.
ImageImage
"Seriously, who wants to be chained down?"
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: Erika Sendou
Melon Pan: 181
Wish: a kookie?

Post by kanohistorm » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:55 pm

episode 3Show
damn...she was one of my first flagship when I started playing
spoiler alert :3
houreki
~Lurking Terror~
~Lurking Terror~
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Melon Pan: 18
2019 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2019 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
2018 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
2017 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya

Post by houreki » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:40 pm

Ep. 3Show
There it goes one of the characters I like ;-;
On the good side this ep made more interesting the Anime to me
ImageImage
SpoilerShow
Image ImageImage Thanks for all the awesome sigs :>
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:12 am

I rewatched the first episode a few days ago to further attempt to get myself used to the series. Oh, and something I had forgotten to mention when I posted my thoughts on it, was that the fact that the Abyssal Fleet suddenly emerged from the ocean depths reminded me of the undead Orrian fleet in Guild Wars 2. I've been reading the Sea of Sorrows novel, and it features several sea battles so it was the first thing that popped into my head during the introduction for the first episode.

Anyway, on to the second episode, which I watched last night, but was too tired to post about:
KanColle, episode 2Show
The repair timer/instant repair bucket had me shaking my head because it further broke any willing suspension of disbelief by reminding the audience that the series is an adaptation of a browser game. On top of that, it put a bad taste in my mouth since I have an intense dislike for "free to play" browser games/mobile game apps that utilize time/pay gates. And then the admiral is presented in first person perspective with no audible dialogue, once again highlighting the series' game roots. But then again, couldn't they have done something better than that?

Other than the above issues, I received this episode a bit better. Atago caught my eye (or ear rather) in the first episode due to her catchphrase and vocal quality so it was nice to see her in this episode with a few more lines. That said, I have no clear favorite characters as of yet (and I might need to browse TV Tropes later to get an idea of who I might want to look out for), but Fubuki works well as the main character. Her character design actually made me think of a cross between Oshiroi and a younger Misaki for some reason...

And all of the training that Fubuki did that first night/day made me cringe. Not because of the training itself, but because I value sleep so much, lol.
Also, that clingy jealous psycho lesbian yandere... Seriously, what the hell. Now, I have nothing against lesbians, yanderes, or even lesbian yanderes, but that is seriously all she's shown behaving whenever anyone goes near her precious. I really hope she doesn't become a one-note character, or else she's going to get really annoying really quick.
By the way, Passerby previewed the first episode over at Random Curiosity, and a comment that was made in reply to someone else pretty much sums up my feelings about the series:
Passserby wrote:From my perspective, an adaptation that relies on meta-knowledge of the original material is crippling itself. There’s no reason why a KanColle anime cannot appeal to its fans and stand on its own at the same time. The fans of the original source are going to watch this anyway, even without excessive pandering; why not draw in a larger audience? It works both ways; if you deliberately limit your own demographic, it’s only natural that some newcomers will be turned off.
Edit: Fixed broken hyperlink tag.
Last edited by Kordosa on Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi

Post by akumaxx » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:41 pm

Ep. 3Show
Just when they thought that "Duh, another daily show with yuri.", they get a slap in the face.
Thinking of a sunk ship, my first impression is this:
== Low Activity ==
Previous cardsShow
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:16 am

KanColle, episode 3Show
Ok, I guess I'll be the first person to bring up Takao's joke concerning Atago's charm she gave Fubuki.

Thanks to having watched the Kiss x Sis TV series (not to be confused with the OADs that shipped with special volumes of the manga) (specifically the 9th episode), I became aware of the nature of these charms (or at least what is being implied here). Basically, what Takao was trying to suggest was inside the charm bag was a sample of Atago's carpet. In other words, a few of Atago's pubic hairs. From what I gather (from a random Google search result that pointed to a 4chan thread), it's based on an actual real life practice given to soldiers as sort of a "promise". As in, "here's a sample, if you make it back, you can see more". In other words, a promise of sex. In more general terms, it's supposed to be a sign of intimacy between the two parties. Once again, this is probably not Atago's intention given her protesting, but is more likely just Takao teasing Atago by implying it.*
Talk about getting crap past the radar.

Speaking of which, the SS Yuri has finally set sail (Ooi notwithstanding). Seriously, les yay all over the place. I mean, it was expected given the gender ratio, but there's a thing called subtlety which I guess the staff decided to ignore, lol.

And holy crap, the dark twist at the end. I wasn't really expecting something like that so soon.

*Or at least, that's what I'd like to say. Given the aforementioned les yay in this episode, Atago might actually have a thing for Fubuki, lol.
By the way, I've finally gotten used to KanColle's presentation now and was able to watch this episode with no problems.
QuotesShow
matchbaby
Necromancer
Necromancer
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isla
Melon Pan: 65
Wish: Isla!!! All hail for Isla!!!
Shiro and Sora!! As least win something!!
Same as Illya~!

Post by matchbaby » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:44 am

ep. 04Show
Why the staff love to add poison into shi*t? I was hoping a Madoka story of Kantai, but now, what? What is that? A Madoka 3rd episode and a moe 4th episode?

Maybe the first lyric of the OP is already the comment of this anime. "....'Bullshit', wake up!" <---Don't ask me where the word "bullshit" comes, just listen to the song.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto
2017 Female Favorite: Kanbe Kotori
2017 Male Favorite: Sakamaki Izayoi

Post by RailWarrior » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:12 pm

Episode 4Show
Wow. The battle animation got a lot better. 3DCG doesn't stand out as much as the previous times, so I was actually able to immerse myself in the scene.

Other than that the episode was nothing special. Mutsuki receives closure, but it was forced. There was no emotional impact. I mean, really. What does Fubuki have to do with the bond between Mutsuki and Kisaragi? Very poor storytelling.
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi

Post by akumaxx » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Ep. 4Show
Kongou may look stupid, but she gets Fubuki out of panic.
== Low Activity ==
Previous cardsShow
houreki
~Lurking Terror~
~Lurking Terror~
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Melon Pan: 18
2019 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2019 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
2018 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
2017 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya

Post by houreki » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Ep. 4Show
Good episode, I thought that Kongo was going to be more serius, but she's cool actually. That last scene ;-;
The OP is growing on me now.
ImageImage
SpoilerShow
Image ImageImage Thanks for all the awesome sigs :>
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Kantai Collection ep. 04Show
The Kongou sisters are here! And is that Houshou I see? (Plus Nachi and Haguro? Yes, yes, and yes.) Shimakaze's also in action...after the Kongou sisters and Fubuki spend time trying to lure her out. XD

Meanwhile, Mutsuki's still in denial about Kisaragi's death. But after coming close to being sunk during today's mission (thank goodness for Kongou making that save), Fubuki decides to give Mutsuki a much-needed hug and a shoulder to cry on.

Also, Kongou's nickname for Fubuki made me think of a different Bucky...
@Kordosa:
Episode 3 conjectureShow
It feels like a nod(?) to Atago's fan nickname "Shotago" (thanks to the amount of fanart/doujinshi featuring her and much younger admirals).

But since the only male in the anime series is unseen, there's no other males (especially shotas) around, and the destroyer girls are portrayed as lolis, might as well have Atago swing to the other side and be lolicon for Fubuki. (In a nice, "big sis" way, of course.)