Kantai Collection

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem
Worships: Moriya Suwako's hat
Melon Pan: 50
2018 Female Favorite: Yamada Elf
2018 Male Favorite: Willem Kmetsch
2017 Female Favorite: Darkness
2017 Male Favorite: Roy Mustang
Wish: A third season of Spice and Wolf.

Re: Kantai Collection

Post by Kordosa » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:04 am

KanColle, episode 4Show
A comment on Crunchyroll labeled the Kongou sisters as the Baka Quartet, which I find very fitting given this episode. Kongou and her Engrish, Kirishima bothering the yuri couple with her analysis, Haruna making a classic trap with a Kongou ero magazine, which Hiei falls for. Also the idol battle... Shattered image is indeed shattered.

Also, the CG battle character models are still bothering me. I think it's the shading because Fubuki's CG model looks slightly derpy compared to her normal non-CG self.

As for Fubuki consoling Mutsuki, I thought it was fitting. Aside from the parallels of Mutsuki helping out Fubuki when she transferred to when Kisaragi did the same for Mutsuki when Mutsuki herself first transferred, Fubuki suffers a near heroic BSOD which nearly cost her life. Sure, Kongou gave Fubuki a much needed cooldown hug, but Fubuki is emotionally closer with Mutsuki (as her telling Mutsuki her feelings in episode 3 shows). So therefore, the scene is as much about Fubuki consoling Mutsuki as it is Fubuki comforting herself after her brush with death.
RailWarrior wrote:
Episode 4Show
What does Fubuki have to do with the bond between Mutsuki and Kisaragi? Very poor storytelling.
Reply, episode 3 and 4Show
If you remember episode 3, Mutsuki is to Fubuki what Kisaragi was to Mutsuki. See the last paragraph in my above thoughts for episode 4 for more on that.
Elvinsky wrote:@Kordosa:
Episode 3 conjectureShow
It feels like a nod(?) to Atago's fan nickname "Shotago" (thanks to the amount of fanart/doujinshi featuring her and much younger admirals).

But since the only male in the anime series is unseen, there's no other males (especially shotas) around, and the destroyer girls are portrayed as lolis, might as well have Atago swing to the other side and be lolicon for Fubuki. (In a nice, "big sis" way, of course.)
Reply, episode 3Show
Maybe. But again that would all depend on if that was simply an innocent charm or if it did indeed hold more intimate contents like Takao was (presumably) teasing about.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
shiraoky wrote:I'm always squeeing lol.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Post by akumaxx » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:12 pm

Ep. 5Show
Turns out that Fubuki is the best flagship among her new team.
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:55 am

Kantai Collection ep. 05Show
Strange fleet composition is strange. But it all works out somehow.

Oh well, the "Crane Sisters" (Shoukaku and Zuikaku) get a proper appearance at least.

"Flight Deck Chest." (The term used in one of the subtitles to describe Zuikaku's...lack of assets.) The term "flattop" would have worked just as well.
"Rip and Tear. Rip and tear until it's done."
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:43 am

Kantai Collection ep. 06Show
- And now for a completely different group...Akatsuki, Hibiki, Ikazuchi, and Inazuma (nanodesu). I thought today's episode was a reference to World 4-2 of the game (based on the Indian Ocean raid), but turns out it's just a curry cooking duel episode.
- As soon as Hiei was in Kongou's corner to "help" make that curry, I knew it wasn't going to end well.
- So Shoukaku's bad luck is translated in the anime as wardrobe malfunctions? (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
- Being the resident Christmas cake, Ashigara desperately wants to win the curry cook-off with her wild, spicy curry. Unfortunately for her, Nagato (the judge of the event) is not good with spicy food.
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto
2017 Female Favorite: Kanbe Kotori
2017 Male Favorite: Sakamaki Izayoi

Post by RailWarrior » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Episode 6Show
Despite the completely terrible-to-look-at 3D forms, the animation of previous episodes has been quite good. In this episode, though, KanColle decided to throw away even its streak of good 2D-animation. Instead, it went with mediocre visuals. The characters are just standing, talking, and not moving. The artwork offers nothing new nor inspirational.

And a cooking competition? Seriously? Okay, fine; given that it was already known before broadcast that KanColle would be mostly "cute girls doing cute things," this wasn't unexpected. However, the most they could do was make it more interesting. It's just bullshit that the only reason the destroyers group won is because the competition self-destructed. Ultimately, it means they won by luck and not by skill. So what was the whole point of the training? Answer: It was just filler to take up time.

The best thing to come of this episode is a much needed switch of cast. Away goes Fubuki (finally!), and in comes Akatsuki, Hibiki, Inazuma, and Ikazuchi. Of course, in all likelihood the next episode will see a return of Fubuki, but at least this week has an episode of relief.
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:09 am

KanColle, episode 5Show
Regarding transferring to a new fleet group, don't worry, Fubuki. I know that feeling. (Of course, the reasons for the transfers are different; a better example might be dividing your army into three groups for the final offensive against the big bad in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.)

Anyway, I liked how there was discord among Fubuki's group members. It added a more interesting element as opposed to the game where I assume there's pretty much no direct interaction between the kanmusu. It also painted Kaga in a different light than what was seen in previous episodes, with her having some problem with the other carrier group. Of course, when Fubuki and the others were caught spying on Akagi's and Kaga's training, Kaga seemed to possess a more serious demeanor than Akagi's more friendly demeanor, so maybe this is just an extension of that.

As for Ooi, this episode was the last straw. She is now the most annoying kanmusu in the series. Seriously, she needs to mellow the fuck out. It doesn't help that it seems her violently jealous psycho lesbian persona is the product of the game's fandom, since according to TV Tropes, "Originally, she was just a polite yet Boisterous Bruiser who is clingy and protective of Kitakami and Tsundere/Yandere for the Admiral." But the game creators decided to go with the fandom's flanderization of her in later updates. According to TV Tropes, some of her lines even involves knives and poison....

At the very least, Fubuki isn't alone in the new group since Kongou is there. If only Kongou could actually provide comfort that is...

As for Fubuki taking charge during the Abyssal attack, while I did think the transition of her demeanor from the previous episodes to this battle was handled slightly clumsily, it still makes some sense from both a literary and a practical standpoint. Literary, in that if we are applying the ideas of the Hero's Journey, this would be Fubuki stepping up to take charge of her own destiny (even if this is only a minor example in her overall journey). From a practical standpoint, it would stand to reason that given her previous attempts to improve herself (remember the training she did over night with Sendai, Jintsuu, and Naka), that she would likewise take her studies seriously, so even if she has trouble applying what she knows, she would still know basic formations and strategies. Hence her being able to organize everyone else and come up with a plan. Finally, the episode gives Fubuki the resolve to carry forward, from an initial feeling of unease at the bickering the other kanmusu have during the initial reassignment which gradually changes to a recognition that if no one takes control of the situation, that nothing will get done. There was also the conversation she had with Akagi as well who hypothesized that the Admiral had a good reason for arranging Group 5 the way he did, thus further providing some comfort to Fubuki. Again, I won't deny that you had to do some speculation regarding Fubuki's seemingly abrupt change in attitude, but the hints I listed above (save for the hypothesized studious Fubuki aspect) helped steer things in the right direction, even if too subtly.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:25 am

Kordosa wrote:
KanColle, episode 5Show
Regarding transferring to a new fleet group, don't worry, Fubuki. I know that feeling. (Of course, the reasons for the transfers are different; a better example might be dividing your army into three groups for the final offensive against the big bad in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.)

Anyway, I liked how there was discord among Fubuki's group members. It added a more interesting element as opposed to the game where I assume there's pretty much no direct interaction between the kanmusu. It also painted Kaga in a different light than what was seen in previous episodes, with her having some problem with the other carrier group. Of course, when Fubuki and the others were caught spying on Akagi's and Kaga's training, Kaga seemed to possess a more serious demeanor than Akagi's more friendly demeanor, so maybe this is just an extension of that.

As for Ooi, this episode was the last straw. She is now the most annoying kanmusu in the series. Seriously, she needs to mellow the fuck out. It doesn't help that it seems her violently jealous psycho lesbian persona is the product of the game's fandom, since according to TV Tropes, "Originally, she was just a polite yet Boisterous Bruiser who is clingy and protective of Kitakami and Tsundere/Yandere for the Admiral." But the game creators decided to go with the fandom's flanderization of her in later updates. According to TV Tropes, some of her lines even involves knives and poison....

At the very least, Fubuki isn't alone in the new group since Kongou is there. If only Kongou could actually provide comfort that is...

As for Fubuki taking charge during the Abyssal attack, while I did think the transition of her demeanor from the previous episodes to this battle was handled slightly clumsily, it still makes some sense from both a literary and a practical standpoint. Literary, in that if we are applying the ideas of the Hero's Journey, this would be Fubuki stepping up to take charge of her own destiny (even if this is only a minor example in her overall journey). From a practical standpoint, it would stand to reason that given her previous attempts to improve herself (remember the training she did over night with Sendai, Jintsuu, and Naka), that she would likewise take her studies seriously, so even if she has trouble applying what she knows, she would still know basic formations and strategies. Hence her being able to organize everyone else and come up with a plan. Finally, the episode gives Fubuki the resolve to carry forward, from an initial feeling of unease at the bickering the other kanmusu have during the initial reassignment which gradually changes to a recognition that if no one takes control of the situation, that nothing will get done. There was also the conversation she had with Akagi as well who hypothesized that the Admiral had a good reason for arranging Group 5 the way he did, thus further providing some comfort to Fubuki. Again, I won't deny that you had to do some speculation regarding Fubuki's seemingly abrupt change in attitude, but the hints I listed above (save for the hypothesized studious Fubuki aspect) helped steer things in the right direction, even if too subtly.
Loose historical notes, hints from the previous episodes, and mo…Show
Ah, the historical rivalry between the air wings of the IJN's First Carrier Division (Akagi, Kaga) and Fifth Carrier Division (Shoukaku, Zuikaku). The general gist of this rivalry is that it's the battle-hardened veteran pilots (the former) against the gung-ho new pilots fresh out of training (the latter). Of course, that rivalry was rendered moot after the Battle of Midway.

I believe Fubuki's studious aspect was already established back in episode 2, where she answered in Ashigara's class what made the Oxygen Torpedo (a.k.a.: the Long Lance or Type 93) so effective. It's clear she knows her stuff, but had trouble applying them in training or in actual combat... At least until episode 3 came along, where it's said by Tone that Fubuki got a medal (a "gold star") for saving Mutsuki from a dive-bombing plane and sinking an enemy ship (though both achievements were sadly overshadowed by the loss of Kisaragi).

To use another trope, Fubuki's starting to take a level in badass. Note how she volunteered to draw the enemy's fire so that Kaga and Zuikaku could launch their planes, Kitakami and Ooi could attack the enemy ships using their torpedoes, and Kongou could provide fire support with her main guns. The Fubuki from Episode 1 probably would've pissed herself if she was ordered to do that.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:48 pm

Episode 7Show
With episode 4 completely botching potential development for Mutsuki by ignoring the relationship between Mutsuki and Kisaragi, I've been wondering what the hell was even the purpose of sinking Kisaragi.

With this episode, I thought I found an acceptable answer: to set a precedent for sinking two more ships in this battle--a turn of events that actually could affect the plot. But that turns out, unfortunately, not to be the case.

Did episode 3 happen only because the director hates Kisaragi? That seems to be the case, which would make it very, very, bad directing.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:19 am

RailWarrior wrote: Did episode 3 happen only because the director hates Kisaragi? That seems to be the case, which would make it very, very, bad directing.
It's historical, RW
SpoilerShow
and if I remembered correctly those two carriers from group 5 sank later, much later after carrier group 1 sank at midway
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:12 am

Problem is, Hiei sunk before Kirishima, and in the same battle too, yet the former is still "alive" in the anime. So I don't buy the "it's historical" argument.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:01 pm

RailWarrior wrote:Problem is, Hiei sunk before Kirishima, and in the same battle too, yet the former is still "alive" in the anime. So I don't buy the "it's historical" argument.
I don't remember them mentioning anything about Kirishima sinking yet, neither about Hiei
is this suppose to be manga-related material? or am I skipping something between episode 5-7?
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:31 pm

Reverend wrote:
RailWarrior wrote:Problem is, Hiei sunk before Kirishima, and in the same battle too, yet the former is still "alive" in the anime. So I don't buy the "it's historical" argument.
I don't remember them mentioning anything about Kirishima sinking yet, neither about Hiei
is this suppose to be manga-related material? or am I skipping something between episode 5-7?
:onion116: I got the K's messed up. I'm an idiot. What I get for posting at midnight.
Last edited by RailWarrior on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuijiwara
[Ebb and Flow]
[Ebb and Flow]
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Fuijiwara no Mokou
Melon Pan: 2
Wish: Happiness~~

Post by Fuijiwara » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:33 pm

RailWarrior wrote:
Reverend wrote:
:onion116: I got the K's messed up. I'm an idiot.
BAKA BAKA BAKA :onion3: :onion3:
2015 SilversShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:08 pm

Still, I don't see the reason to be accurate about one particular thing if they're not going to be accurate about the majority of everything else. For example, was Fubuki ever a flagship of any fleet? Even before that, was there ever a "5th guerilla force" (or however Daigo Yuugeki Butai is translated) consisting of Kongou, Zuikaku, Kaga, Fubuki, Ooi, and Kitakami? (Those are legitimate questions I have, not redundant questions used to make a point.) And from what I find, Kaga wasn't replaced in Operation MO because she was damaged; she was replaced because one fleet carrier was deemed "not enough" for such an important operation, so they went with the fifth division duo Shoukaku and Zuikaku. And while it's accurate that both these ships were damaged at Coral Sea, Fubuki was no where near the scene; it was all the way back at Hiroshima.

So yes, I'm not buying into the history argument. Changes have been made to keep the story interesting. KanColle can get away with pointless slice-of-life BS, but pointless character death is just bad--in general, not just for KanColle.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:35 am

RailWarrior wrote:Still, I don't see the reason to be accurate about one particular thing if they're not going to be accurate about the majority of everything else. For example, was Fubuki ever a flagship of any fleet? Even before that, was there ever a "5th guerilla force" (or however Daigo Yuugeki Butai is translated) consisting of Kongou, Zuikaku, Kaga, Fubuki, Ooi, and Kitakami? (Those are legitimate questions I have, not redundant questions used to make a point.) And from what I find, Kaga wasn't replaced in Operation MO because she was damaged; she was replaced because one fleet carrier was deemed "not enough" for such an important operation, so they went with the fifth division duo Shoukaku and Zuikaku. And while it's accurate that both these ships were damaged at Coral Sea, Fubuki was no where near the scene; it was all the way back at Hiroshima.

So yes, I'm not buying into the history argument. Changes have been made to keep the story interesting. KanColle can get away with pointless slice-of-life BS, but pointless character death is just bad--in general, not just for KanColle.
so far the only death that happened is historical
This reply is quite long, that's why I put spoiler tag
regarding the fifth fleetShow
Fubuki was in the same fleet as Kongou during the West Indies Operation
as well as with Kaga, though I forget about those two light cruisers involvement
She made port somewhere near Medan, if I was not mistaken
(The Fifth Fleet was the one assign with the overtaking Malaya, Indonesia, and Maluku and South Philippine during the beginning of Pacific war, I learned this numerous times during Elementary to High School so did/does every single person who have their basic education in Indonesia)

after the operaton, they were moved into the Formosa, and their placed was taken by the destroyer fleet (the girls at episode 6)
regarding Kaga's return to JapanShow
Kaga was replaced because she was damaged during the skirmishes at Malaya
that's what it means by: not good enough, since the damage reduced speed
The Pilots of 1st Carrier Group were more experienced, but due to the ship's unfit, they chose to go with the newer, faster, 5th Carrier Group
(good call, actually, an older ex-battleship carrier like Kaga would have sunk in Torres Strait or the Solomons if she was forced, since the sea there is rough, warm and full of wild wind as well as wild waves that can turn a tanker ship upside down during their worst day)
furthermore, Isoroku Yamamoto has foreseen the battle of Midway even before the war started, and Kaga's return was part of preparation.
his plan was the best considering the condition of the navy, a bit of unluckiness and mistake from on-field officer cost the Japanese the battle and the war.
they have not changed death order, which is why I said: it's historical
well, to be honest: I also don't think they will make any more death,
but I won't say the death of Kisaragi is unnecessary, it's important because it adds the "spice" of sadness as well as to remind watchers: this is war

ps.: do ignore their tendecy to not accept the result of WW2, after all the Japanese never really care about global economic, every effort they've made after the war was concentrated to avenge their lost in the war through economic means, and they did so really really well
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:47 am

Eh. If a random death is the only thing reminding the viewers that KanColle is a war story, that in itself is a problem.

Kusakawa: I want this to be 70% slice-of-life with cute girls doing cute things
Staff: Um...this is set in the middle of a war.
Kusakawa: No problem. Which ship was the first to sink in WWII?
Staff: Kisaragi
(well, actually, Hayate, but it's not part of the cast)
Kusakawa: Alright. Kill off Kisaragi in episode 3. But after that, I get to do what I want.

Battle of Midway is next, though. I'll with-hold further judgment until we see how that unfolds.
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:35 am

Kantai Collection ep. 07Show
While Mobile Unit Five tests their new equipment for the upcoming Operation MO, they come under attack from the Abyssals. During the battle, Kaga takes a torpedo meant for Zuikaku. Luckily, she doesn't sink, but the hit leaves her severely damaged and unavailable for the operation (due to lack of Instant Repair Buckets). Shoukaku steps in as a replacement while Kaga is repaired.

- The Abyssals being able to decode the kanmusu's communications... Hmm...
- That yellow-eyed Wo-class whom Fubuki shot in the eye (give her an eyepatch, yarr!)...she'll be back. (Also, I suppose that Wo-class is Yorktown?)
- Next week: Time to hum this, I guess...

Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:45 am

General reminder to others in this thread:

Not that this thread has gotten that bad yet, but could we remember to keep all death-related discussions spoilered? Even if it was his sled for some people (and already knowing that Japan lost the war, and thus not difficult to imagine what happened to its navy), there are still those who may not be familiar with WWII naval history and who might prefer not to know the individual fates of each ship before any analogous events are animated.

The reason why I'm bringing this up now is due to how loose some of the comments have gotten on CR, with some people casually bringing up the fates of the real life ship counterparts, without regard for others. The way I see it, if folks really wanted to know for themselves, they can look it up on Wikipedia themselves, and thus personally choose to potentially spoil things for themselves rather than being subjected to the spoilers indiscriminately by someone else.

A few days late posting this due to laziness.
KanColle, episode 6Show
It's well known that in Gensokyo, there is no such thing as common sense (relevant part about a third of the way down the page; use the Find function). Well, that also seems to be the case in KanColle's Naval District. Which actually may not be all that bad. This episode not only properly introduced another group of kanmusu, but also took the opportunity to display character personalities and quirks for several more characters all at once. I thought Kirishima's and Naka's manzai routine while MC'ing was hilarious as a backdrop for the antics of the curry contest entrants. Compared to some of the nonsense the Touhou cast gets into, this episode felt like it was in the same vein. On top of which, after Kaga more or less squee'd at Akagi swiping those potatoes, I couldn't help but think of Yuyuko and Youmu... And Akatsuki's constant talk about being a proper lady (and failing) reminded me of Remilia and her charisma break...
Elvinsky wrote:
Ah, the historical rivalry between the air wings of the IJN's First Carrier Division (Akagi, Kaga) and Fifth Carrier Division (Shoukaku, Zuikaku). The general gist of this rivalry is that it's the battle-hardened veteran pilots (the former) against the gung-ho new pilots fresh out of training (the latter). Of course, that rivalry was rendered moot after the Battle of Midway.

I believe Fubuki's studious aspect was already established back in episode 2, where she answered in Ashigara's class what made the Oxygen Torpedo (a.k.a.: the Long Lance or Type 93) so effective. It's clear she knows her stuff, but had trouble applying them in training or in actual combat... At least until episode 3 came along, where it's said by Tone that Fubuki got a medal (a "gold star") for saving Mutsuki from a dive-bombing plane and sinking an enemy ship (though both achievements were sadly overshadowed by the loss of Kisaragi).

To use another trope, Fubuki's starting to take a level in badass. Note how she volunteered to draw the enemy's fire so that Kaga and Zuikaku could launch their planes, Kitakami and Ooi could attack the enemy ships using their torpedoes, and Kongou could provide fire support with her main guns. The Fubuki from Episode 1 probably would've pissed herself if she was ordered to do that.
Ah, thanks for the info about the rivalry, and reminding me of those things about Fubuki.

Regarding the quasi-historical accuracy discussion above:

I don't think you guys should take this series that seriously. This series is based off a collect-your-waifu browser game that just happens to use WWII naval history as inspiration. As such, yes there will probably be nods to actual historical facts, but that does not mean the series will be forced to always make references to them in the first place.

As far as Kisaragi is concerned:
KanColle, episode 3Show
I actually don't think the purpose of Kisaragi's death was to remind the audience that KanColle is a war story. I think the battles do that themselves. Rather, I think Kisaragi was included in order to build character development for Mutsuki (and to a different degree, Fubuki), as well as to mirror the bond that Mutsuki had for Kisaragi to the one that Fubuki held for Mutsuki, as I posted here. Also, building character development for a character via another character's death isn't really anything new. Nor is KanColle the first anime to introduce a character only to kill them off in the same episode either for such a purpose. I can think of one right off the top of my head.
QuotesShow
Fuijiwara
[Ebb and Flow]
[Ebb and Flow]
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Fuijiwara no Mokou
Melon Pan: 2
Wish: Happiness~~

Post by Fuijiwara » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:08 am

Kordosa wrote:General reminder to others in this thread:

Not that this thread has gotten that bad yet, but could we remember to keep all death-related discussions spoilered? Even if it was his sled for some people (and already knowing that Japan lost the war, and thus not difficult to imagine what happened to its navy), there are still those who may not be familiar with WWII naval history and who might prefer not to know the individual fates of each ship before any analogous events are animated.

The reason why I'm bringing this up now is due to how loose some of the comments have gotten on CR, with some people casually bringing up the fates of the real life ship counterparts, without regard for others. The way I see it, if folks really wanted to know for themselves, they can look it up on Wikipedia themselves, and thus personally choose to potentially spoil things for themselves rather than being subjected to the spoilers indiscriminately by someone else.

A few days late posting this due to laziness.
KanColle, episode 6Show
It's well known that in Gensokyo, there is no such thing as common sense (relevant part about a third of the way down the page; use the Find function). Well, that also seems to be the case in KanColle's Naval District. Which actually may not be all that bad. This episode not only properly introduced another group of kanmusu, but also took the opportunity to display character personalities and quirks for several more characters all at once. I thought Kirishima's and Naka's manzai routine while MC'ing was hilarious as a backdrop for the antics of the curry contest entrants. Compared to some of the nonsense the Touhou cast gets into, this episode felt like it was in the same vein. On top of which, after Kaga more or less squee'd at Akagi swiping those potatoes, I couldn't help but think of Yuyuko and Youmu... And Akatsuki's constant talk about being a proper lady (and failing) reminded me of Remilia and her charisma break...
Elvinsky wrote:

Ah, thanks for the info about the rivalry, and reminding me of those things about Fubuki.

Regarding the quasi-historical accuracy discussion above:

I don't think you guys should take this series that seriously. This series is based off a collect-your-waifu browser game that just happens to use WWII naval history as inspiration. As such, yes there will probably be nods to actual historical facts, but that does not mean the series will be forced to always make references to them in the first place.

As far as Kisaragi is concerned:
KanColle, episode 3Show
I actually don't think the purpose of Kisaragi's death was to remind the audience that KanColle is a war story. I think the battles do that themselves. Rather, I think Kisaragi was included in order to build character development for Mutsuki (and to a different degree, Fubuki), as well as to mirror the bond that Mutsuki had for Kisaragi to the one that Fubuki held for Mutsuki, as I posted here. Also, building character development for a character via another character's death isn't really anything new. Nor is KanColle the first anime to introduce a character only to kill them off in the same episode either for such a purpose. I can think of one right off the top of my head.
SpoilerShow
It's Sachi isn't it
2015 SilversShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:41 am

Fuijiwara wrote:
Kordosa wrote:
KanColle, episode 3Show
Also, building character development for a character via another character's death isn't really anything new. Nor is KanColle the first anime to introduce a character only to kill them off in the same episode either for such a purpose. I can think of one right off the top of my head.
SAOShow
It's Sachi isn't it
Yes.
QuotesShow