Fate/stay night universe

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Re: Fate/stay night universe

Post by Reverend » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:43 am

took a little trip to this series to see how ufotable turn Archer vs Shirou into a masterpiece
here's my take on it:
Fate Stay Night UBW (Series) Archer vs Emiya Shirou. Spoiler of…Show

hate to say it, but: this battle scene is a million times better than this Archer vs Shirou, who supposedly is the most epic battle scenario ever made in a literature work.

it's not the matter of technology or budget, because UBW wins by miles in terms of that.
it's the matter of how do you feel after watching it:
ufotable and type-Moon want to add more tragic in the battle scene by lengthening it and letting the dialogues sap into the audience, which is good. (it's pretty much what made the scene so good in the first place.)
and how to do that? lengthen the scene. By lengthening it, audiences have time to feel the meaning of each words. At the same time, lengthening it would keep people from going away from their sit.
The problem is: they lengthen it too long, they lost the suspense - too many slow motions, taking things so slow story-wise while trying to keep reality by making sure the action scenes flow (which means it quickly dissipates.)
in an action scene, it's the suspense that keeps people: you would want action scenes packed with more motions instead of sitting and talking - this is what this version of UBW lacks: Archer is taking his dear time killing "himself", making this a very very boring scene.
(honestly, when I read the VN, my imagination of the scene is close to what DEEN made, which is why I gave them applause for their works on the scene despite all other flaws)

The insert song, though musically good and I would have enjoyed it if I just listen to it freely (not attached as an insert song,) is unnecessary.
The only good thing in this scene is the version of FSN legendary OST: Emiya, which unfortunately is also cut short. (well, it could also be because I wanted more)
Shite, very very shite. The original UBW OST is very very good musically but it's not as good as the FSN OST in terms of bringing people to the preferred mood.

Final Score: 5/10
Usage of CGs is not approved if the scene lost its meaning because of it.
(that 5 is actually a reward because of the efforts done, honestly I wanted to give this 3 or 4 but it's just too good technically to get a score that low.)
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto

Post by RailWarrior » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:38 pm

Here's my take on ufotable's Archer vs. Shirou: they ran out of content due to airing 3 double length episodes before the second cour even began.

I thought the Berserker battle back in episode 3(?) of the first cour was too long, but this took the cake--not only was it long, it was boring.
Last edited by RailWarrior on Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:23 pm

Unlimited Blade Works Episode 22Show
And........Dolphins.

They want to go that route? No problem. It's a television series; it's understandable. No lewdness. Okay.

What is not okay, though, is Rin's embarrassed reactions. If they're not going to so much as imply sex, then don't keep those reactions. They make no sense within the context of the anime's scene.
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Orihime Inoue
Melon Pan: 60
Wish: For sugar to not be unhealthy, and campaigning to be easier

Post by Desufire » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:25 am

RailWarrior wrote:
Unlimited Blade Works Episode 22Show
And........Dolphins.

They want to go that route? No problem. It's a television series; it's understandable. No lewdness. Okay.

What is not okay, though, is Rin's embarrassed reactions. If they're not going to so much as imply sex, then don't keep those reactions. They make no sense within the context of the anime's scene.
Blame the original content, they're adapting the Realta Nua version of the games which is also the All Ages version. That scene is basically straight from the visual novel. The way it tries to explain itself is that she's embarrassed Shirou discovered when she first started liking him by invading her memories of him.
avery-kun
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Berserker!
Melon Pan: 135
Wish: Illya 2017!

Post by avery-kun » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Unlimited Blade Works: Episode 24Show
The fight and ending was worth the wait. Moving on the Heaven's Feels.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:38 am

Unlimited Blade Works Episode 24Show
This episode earned back my respect. Very satisfying conclusion. I'm just hoping next episode actually has a purpose, and isn't unnecessary filler. I don't know what the VN does, but 24 minute epilogue is kinda stretching it.
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Orihime Inoue
Melon Pan: 60
Wish: For sugar to not be unhealthy, and campaigning to be easier

Post by Desufire » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:39 am

RailWarrior wrote:
Unlimited Blade Works Episode 24Show
This episode earned back my respect. Very satisfying conclusion. I'm just hoping next episode actually has a purpose, and isn't unnecessary filler. I don't know what the VN does, but 24 minute epilogue is kinda stretching it.
UBW 24Show
The epilogue for the true route (that's what's happening since Saber disappeared) is pretty short but it does leave room for continuation, it won't be filler in my eyes.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:12 am

Unlimited Blade Works Final ThoughtShow
ufotable loves their cloud animations.