Voice Actor (Seiyuu) Appreciation

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar
Worships: Takamachi Nanoha
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: The past to not weigh me down

Voice Actor (Seiyuu) Appreciation

Post by Seishi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:00 pm

This thread is for the purpose of discussing Japanese voice actors. Another thread will be made at some point for English voice actors, even if I don't think I'll get much participation in it.

I realize not everyone cares as much as I do about the voices behind our favourite characters. I mean, who else is going to know that Yukari Tamura's birthday is on February 27th and that she is "eternally seventeen"...well anyway, if there are any particular seiyuu you appreciate, please feel free to discuss them here. I'll start with a few for now...

The aforementioned Yukari Tamura has done some of my favourite roles in anime including my all-time favourite character Nanoha Takamachi (Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha), the incredibly cute but determined Rika Furude (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni), the tokusatsu sentai adventurer-archaeologist and adult child Midori Sugiura (Mai-HiME), and the sexy Ranpha Franboise (Galaxy Angel).

For the guys, I always like Tomokazu Seki. He does the best emotional or angry voice out of anyone that I've heard, male or female. Consequently, he is also my favourite at doing the "male tsundere" role. Some of these include Shinichi Chiaki (Nodame Cantabile) and Kyo Sohma (Fruits Basket).
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Re: Voice Actor (Seiyuu) Appreciation

Post by Chocola » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:40 pm

Well first of all let's mention one that is often hated for some reason: Aya Hirano.

Now first let's discuss how I rate VAs (and individual roles). Simply put, I don't. If I had to put it into words, then there are five categories for me:

1) Outstanding: The character actually makes me appreciate the VA on the spot.
2) Excellent: Without nit-picking, I cannot think of a more suitable VA for the role.
3) Good: The role is okay but not especially great or bad.
4) Bad: There are noticeable moments where the VA sounded off.
5) Die: Just die.

Most of Aya Hirano's roles falls into the "Excellent" category. Let's discuss the famous role in question, shall we?

Haruhi Suzumiya, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

In my opinion, the Haruhi hype destroyed this series for some people, and Aya Hirano along with it. It doesn't have to do so subconsciously. Because of hype, some expect the series to be "excellent" to start with, so even if it's "above average" after you watch it, the bar was already to high that they regard the series in distaste. Of course, there are some who just hate it unreasonably because of the hype. It's fortunate that I'm not gullible or insecure enough to let other people's opinions change my own.

The thing that people bring is the fact that "everyone can play Haruhi's role so it doesn't take much talent." Now ask yourself this: Does this somehow mean that Aya Hirano is a bad VA? No. In my opinion, Aya perfected the role of Haruhi Suzumiya and I cannot imagine someone doing a better job, no matter how easy the job is. Verdict: Excellent.

Konata Izumi, Lucky Star

Without a doubt this is one of Aya's better roles to some people. To me, it her favorite role of mine. In fact, some of the best voice acting I have ever heard is in Lucky Star, specifically Konata in this case. Now I have already stated that I an not a seiyuu-fag, which means I forgot (if I knew before) that Aya voices Konata. I still found Konata very impressive, so there is absolutely no bias there. Verdict: Outstanding.

Mei Etou, Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!

This is also a favorite role of mine. Mei is one of those neo-tsundere popularized by...cliche. However, she did not come across as cliche to me. She actually had a unique personality of some sort and did not annoy me at all like some of the other tsunderes. This is absolutely one of her better roles and least annoying ones. Verdict: Excellent.

Minato Nagase, Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka

And this is by far one of my least favorite roles of...anime. Minato reminded me of the squeaky female English dubbed voices...except in Japanese. It is interesting, because Minato is the one I was going for in the series, but I just can't stand her voice. It is so annoying. Verdict: Die.

Misa Amane, Death Note

This is one of the roles where it was not noticeably good or noticeably bad. I noted that Misa sounded cute every time she talks, but that was it. In general, Misa was okay. Verdict: Good.

Chizuko Mikamo, Nijuu Mensou no Musume

Interestingly enough, this is the only role where I was aware that Aya voices the character but I did not like the voice at all. Chiko was bland in every possible way and nothing was really right. It is like LazyCanuck trying to be lazy but failed. She could have done better. Verdict: Bad.

So what does this mean? Every voice actor has good roles and bad roles, and to me, Aya Hirano's good roles were so memorable that she will always be one of my favorite voice actors. I like Aya not because I worship Haruhiism, because I am a KyoAni-fag, or because Manabi Straight is 10/10 on my anime list. I like Aya because seriously, I love most of the roles the voiced. Final Verdict: 3.8/5.0, near Excellent.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar

Post by Seishi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Aya is pretty cool whenever she has a loudmouth/genki girl or obnoxious/tsundere role such as Haruhi Suzumiya, Kaoru Akashi (Zettai Karen Children), and Mei Etoh. However, she loses a lot of points from me with dry roles like Chiko, and just downright awful timid roles like Minato or Yuki (White Album) and to an extent Ayumi (Hyakko). Konata falls somewhere in between all this, as I am not really sure how to rate her on it; I don't agree at all that Lucky Star had great voice acting. However, I do admit I'm more critical of Aya than any other seiyuu out there.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Melon Pan: 105
2020 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2020 Male Favorite: Hei
2019 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2019 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:10 pm

Mizuki Nana

She is my most favorite, most respected, and most admired seiyuu because she voices Fate, who is my pride and joy. :v
Equally as important, her stunning physique intermingles with the caliber of her epic singing ability. Mere words can't depict the sentimental feelings that is evoked from me through listening to her songs ("Innocent Starter," etc.), her Fate voice, and she is just too cute in general.

tl;dr
Nana is win.

Yukari Tamura is nice too though.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
Xjellocross
Mahou shoujo
Mahou shoujo
Badges:

Post by Xjellocross » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:12 pm

Misa was a death sentence: SO. DAMN. ANNOYING.
However I'm not going to bash Aya as I know she can act in an appropriate role. She just needs to stay away from the gentle moe type.

BEST VOICE ACTRESS: UEDA KANA-GASM
Tohsaka Rin, Yagami Hayate, Tohsaka Rin, Aizawa Sakuya, Tohsaka Rin, Mikawa Fumika, Tohsaka Rin...
I swear every time I hear her voice it's ear sex.

Others include Horie Yui and Tomatsu Haruka.

On the male side Tomokazu Seki is a must, yes. That man is a god alongside WAKAMOTO NORIO. First time I heard his voice was as the narrator in Hayate no Gotoku and I've felt he's awesome ever since.

Considering "overrated" seiyuu I think Tomokazu Sugita get the butt of it alongside Aya a lot. At the first mention of "Haruhi" it's hard not to hear a followup of "overrated" and then "Aya and Sugita" but he's had other awesome roles beyond Kyon. Of course there's Aizawa Yuuichi from Kanon 2006 but there's also Graham Spector from the Baccano OVA and the EVER SO AWESOME SAKATA GINTOKI from Gintama.
Chrono will not be mentioned here.
>__>
<__<
Don't ask who she is, I barely know anything beyond her name.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 pm

Hm, Kana Ueda. I like how she did Hayate and Fumika but it wasn't anything special. I haven't watched FSN. But I think she did a great job voicing Mikan-chan~ (and singing the OP too).
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
raizoo
Familiar
Familiar

Post by raizoo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:36 pm

KholdStare88 wrote:Well first of all let's mention one that is often hated for some reason: Aya Hirano.
Is this sarcasm or not? I can never tell with you.

Most people hate her because of how popular she is for starring in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star when there are dozens of other seiyuu who don't nearly have as much recognition, like Sawashiro Miyuki, Orikasa Fumiko and I'll stop now before my entire post consists of seiyuu who need more love. Or is it only because of that? She could be considered pretty, at least compared to a lot of other older seiyuu. Being popular because of looks when it's the voice acting that should matter.... Maybe I'm just bitter about it. I know I'm rather bitter about her Riot Girl album selling nearly four times as much as Makino Yui's self titled album, but dekobitch Hirano Aya's singing would need to be raged up in an entirely different post.

I should actually talk about her voice acting, shouldn't I? Let's just say I don't think she's entirely rubbish, but I am part of the mob who hates her popularity. Personally, I only really hate her "ojou-sama"-ish voice, like Itou Mei from Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!, Nagase Minato from Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka, Nakajima Sanae from Sumomomo Momomo, and so on. I do think she's at her best when she's voicing the more energetic characters as well. It's just too bad I seem to dislike the characters themselves.

.... Ironically enough, the only role of hers that I do care about is Serizawa Layla/Reira from NANA. Hirano Aya's performance somehow carried some sort of raw emotion in it that just made me actually like the character a little more. Comparing Reira's emotional scenes with someone like Nagase Minato's feels like they're on opposite ends of the spectrum, which greatly perturbs me. NANA and Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka are about two and a half years apart. Shouldn't she have, uh, improved? Or maybe I don't remember much of the latter show for some it was horrible reason.

Oh, she doesn't seem too bad in White Album so far. Her character just has that ojou-sama voice going on, making it an auto-turn off for me. I'll see how this plays out since I didn't like Serizawa Reira much from the beginning and White Album isn't quite finished yet.
Fate wrote:tl;dr
Nana is win.
Hearing her as Ogata Rina from White Album is interesting to say the least. Ogata Rin from RideBack is actually fun since it's nice to see her use her kind of normal voice without being completely bonkers over the male lead or someone close to him. My favourite Mizuki Nana role for me so far is actually Kirihara Misaki from Darker than Black, despite being a fan of Fate Testarossa.

I would talk about Mizuki Nana and how much of a seiyuu idol she is or how different her acting is from Hirano Aya as you hear the two in White Album, but I'm tired. I'd still like to say some things, like how she needs to stop being type casted as characters that are shy, especially those that have a crush on the male lead. It's irritating because she actually does have some decent range on her, but we rarely get to hear it - Minami Touma from Minami-ke, Kirihara Misaki from Darker than Black and Inner Akashiya Moka from Rosario to Vampire to name the ones I'm familiar with.

I'm not a fan of her animegoe voice at all and it doesn't help how I dislike a good 4/5ths of the shows she stars in.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:40 pm

raizoo wrote:Most people hate her because of how popular she is for starring in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star when there are dozens of other seiyuu who don't nearly have as much recognition...
That may be true. I don't believe that resentment should turn into hate. I don't care how popular a series is if that series is great or if a VA in it is great. I think that some anime i love deserve more attention, but that doesn't prevent me from also loving SHnY.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
FNSNA
Season faery
Season faery

Post by FNSNA » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:37 am

KholdStare88 wrote:Hm, Kana Ueda. I like how she did Hayate and Fumika but it wasn't anything special. I haven't watched FSN. But I think she did a great job voicing Mikan-chan~ (and singing the OP too).
Knowing that I'm a Kansai-ben fag in some ways,
I recently have a bit of liking to her, for her role as Hayate and Sakuya (Hayate no Gotoku)
Yumi (maria-sama) and Rin, though not recognizable as those two, was not bad
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar

Post by Seishi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:41 am

raizoo
Familiar
Familiar

Post by raizoo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:49 am

KholdStare88 wrote:That may be true. I don't believe that resentment should turn into hate. I don't care how popular a series is if that series is great or if a VA in it is great. I think that some anime i love deserve more attention, but that doesn't prevent me from also loving SHnY.
Well, that's you, I guess. Some people will just hate her because of it. There's always the possibility that they hate her for other reasons, although that's probably still be linked to how popular she became after those major KyoAni roles of hers, and end up just not liking her altogether. Like how she tried those gravure photoshoots, tries to sing, tries to put on bikini tops correctly, and all that jazz.

I'd raise an eyebrow if a series is widely popular just because the seiyuu in it are great. I honestly can't think of any series like this off the top of my head. Name one for me. By widely popular, I mean something along the lines of SHnY and Lucky Star popular. Not what's popular now because I could consider Sora o Kakeru Shoujo and Asu no Yoichi! for this.

Judging anime and judging seiyuu are different for me, so while I'd love for some series I like to actually have been watched coughkaibacough, I can't say the same thing for seiyuu. If a show's popularity got a seiyuu more popular, especially if s/he was a certain character, I'll be a little more stingy. Does the name Kawakami Tomoko ring a bell? It should. She's Kamio Misuzu in Air, Kurata Sayuri in Kanon, and "Girl" in Clannad. I'm sure you know what all three of those shows have in common aside from the fact that not only has Kawakami Tomoko had roles in the shows, but Tamura Yukari has as well.

That's right. KyoAni. Yet I'm sure most people won't even know who Kawakami Tomoko is and can only hope a good chunk know who Tamura Yukari is.

You know what just boggles me? How Chihara Minori doesn't seem as popular as Hirano Aya when she's prettier and can actually sing. I'm glad she's had some not so "emotionless doll"-like roles recently, but it also looks like she's focusing on her singing career. I'd mention Goto Yuko or Ono Daisuke, but a lot of people seem to hate the former and don't care about males. I'd also mention Sugita Tomokazu, but he nearly sounds the same in every role. Just like Noto Mamiko!
Basaka
Translator
Translator
Badges:

Post by Basaka » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:26 am

raizoo wrote:You know what just boggles me? How Chihara Minori doesn't seem as popular as Hirano Aya when she's prettier and can actually sing. I'm glad she's had some not so "emotionless doll"-like roles recently, but it also looks like she's focusing on her singing career
Agreed. She sings better. LOL. Chihara and Mizuki Nana are probably two of the really, really good VA singers.

No one seems to mention Aya's role in Hyakko olololol.
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar

Post by Seishi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:33 am

Basaka wrote: No one seems to mention Aya's role in Hyakko olololol.
I did! I put it in the same category of those annoying shy girls I don't like hearing her voice for. Mamiko Noto seems really good at doing those.
Basaka
Translator
Translator
Badges:

Post by Basaka » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:48 am

Ah, you did. But from the flow of the convo others seems to forget it XD

Personally, I suck at reming names for Seiyuu, rather, I only remember the kanji and not the prounciation. LOL
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 am

So does anyone want to make a post about Rie Kugimiya before I do? I figured I'll show my support on hated overrated VAs just because they are more popular than your favorite VA, which has nothing to do with their talents.

EDIT: The flaw in English is the inability to differentiate between second person singular pronoun and second person plural pronoun without saying something gay like "y'all."
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
FNSNA
Season faery
Season faery

Post by FNSNA » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:32 am

IMO Goto Yuko is all over the place
but none had leave a strong memory for me
Shini
Pokémon trainer
Pokémon trainer
Worships: Shana

Post by Shini » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:37 am

KholdStare88 wrote:So does anyone want to make a post about Rie Kugimiya before I do?
I will. (:

Kugimiya Rie is one of my favourite seiyuu; Shana is more than enough reason. <3
I actually like most of her tsundere roles. Shana, Taiga, Louise, and Nagi all rank high on my moe list. The only one I dislike would be Yuuhi, who just doesn't bring us anything new, tsundere-wise. Lots of people complain that she uses the same voice for all of her tsundere roles, and that does ring true for Shana/Louise/Yuuhi, but Taiga does have a meaner tone to her voice, and Nagi a more childish one. Her voice is very recognizable nonetheless. I can recognize a KugiRie role anywhere. (:

But maybe I'm just biased towards tsunderekko.

Noto Mamiko is also one of my favourites, because I just love her voice. Ana Coppola, Enma Ai, Kotomi, Matsuri Shihou, Hecate, Nogizaka Haruka, Himegami Aisa, heck, even Tiffania. Her voice is so soft, mysterious..it's just amazing. <3
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar

Post by Seishi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:15 am

Huh? Rie is a fantastic voice actress. Even before Shana she had a fairly notable role, Alphonse Elric. She has done many roles outside of the "loli tsundere" circle, and will always get my respect with any work she does. I must point out this one girl from pb]Loveless[b/] named Kouya Sakagami who really made me go "LOL THAT WAS KUGYU?" when I found out some time long after I finished the series. Aside from that, I think most fans here know some of her more well-known non-tsundere roles, so I'm not going to list off a bunch.
raizoo
Familiar
Familiar

Post by raizoo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:23 am

KholdStare88 wrote:So does anyone want to make a post about Rie Kugimiya before I do? I figured I'll show my support on hated overrated VAs just because they are more popular than your favorite VA, which has nothing to do with their talents.
What's there to talk about? Her acting itself is splendid. The only problem is how she's typically associated with tsundere roles now when she has an amazing range. Not many seiyuu can do both shota male and loli voices. I can only think of Kitamura Eri and Sawashiro Miyuki right now, though I kind of forget if Kobayashi Sanae can do a loli voice, too. Should I count Koshimizu Ami's role in the last two episodes of Mushi-shi? It wasn't very convincing to me. Trying to emphasize on loli since there are many other seiyuu that can do a male and female sounding voice, like Sanpei Yuuko, Romi Paku and Shiraishi Ryoko.

Really, gotta love type casting. -eyeroll- Speaking of which....
Shini wrote:Lots of people complain that she uses the same voice for all of her tsundere roles...
The same could be said for a lot of other seiyuu that people "label", such as Tamura Yukari and Nakahara Mai. You can hear a slight change in their voices that makes each character sound different, but you can't help the seiyuu if the characters themselves are similar.

The only people I can think of right now that that sound boring nearly the same all the time are Sugita Tomokazu, Noto Mamiko and.... Kaneda Tomoko. Just because I think that doesn't mean I don't think they're horrible actors. I actually think Noto Mamiko is a great actress and I haven't even seen Jigoku Shojo.
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2020 Female Favorite: Furuhashi Fumino
2020 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
2019 Female Favorite: Hirasawa Yui
2019 Male Favorite: Rimuru Tempest
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:40 am

Well anyway this thread is specially for seiyuu fag (i mean r****o)

Noto Mamiko doing good job in Jigoku Shoujo (Jigoku Shoujo famous in my country)...
and her Ippen Shinde Miru quote quite famous even i feel lol when someone said it in public...

but i like Noto Mamiko because her role in school rumble as Tsukamoto Yakumo...
she really do a good job and i really like her voice as Yakumo...

Koshimizu Ami also doing a good job as Tenma in Sukuran... Her voice as Tenma make me lol... lol and lol...
Anyway i better stop... If i talk about Sukuran i will never stop *ex-sukuran-fag*
Current top ten list August 2020:-
1) Yoshino Sakura (Da Capo) 2) Nikaidou Shinku (Irotoridori no Sekai) 3) Kagamigawa Chloe (Memories Off 6) 4) Tamura Yuri (Watamote) 5) Tsuruta Himeko (Saki) 6) Hibiki (Kancolle) 7) Kujikawa Rise (Persona 4) 8) Sheila Helman (Rance series) 9) Furuhashi Fumino (Bokuben) 10) Adolf Retia (Daiteitoku)
SpoilerShow