Summer 2016 Anime - Reviews & Recommendations

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
shadowhunter
~Shadow Crafter~
~Shadow Crafter~
Badges:
Melon Pan: 63

Re: Summer 2016 Anime - Reviews & Recommendations

Post by shadowhunter » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Qualidea Ep 5Show
Nice deconstruction of genre. It's the idea of Watari-san?

After elimination of the Tokyo characters, I see the full awfulness of Tenkawa.

Chance for drop: 55%
Souma Ep 6Show
Souma is so stronk. Boring episode. But the finals is close.
Rewrite Ep 6Show
I've hoped that Akane would be like Tomoyo. So naive. As result, I dislike Akane. For now.
Top of girls after 1st half:
1. Lucia
2. Chihaya

Loli is meh. Neighbourhood friend is meh too. Low budget copy of Ryou is....I don't have words.

Kotori's pet is so original....

Chance for drop: 35%
Orange Ep 6Show
Full Blue Spring Ride. That's all.
Suwa reminds me Machima Taichi. Poor guys.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:47 am

Danganronpa 3 Mirai-hen - Episode 005 (was it? I forgot)Show
Poor maniac girl.
I hope candy girl realizes her feeling before candy girl died.
NEW GAME! - Episode 006Show
Thank you for the food. Itadakimasu~
Amaama to Inazuma - Episode 006Show
A bit more plot this time. A bit less minutes for cooking.
Still the best piece of entertainment of this week.
(And actually: every single episodes of Amaama to Inazuma are superior to every other thing this season has to offer. I don't expect everybody from non-Japanese side to understand, but fortunately almost everybody in Japan do.)

Poor Yagi-chan, btw.
It's pretty clear he was once in this spot, whey Inuzuka-sensei and his then-girlfriend was in play.

How can a mere cooking show get this good?
Plot isn't special...
Anime content literally is just people cooking...

How can it be this soothing?
HOW CAN IT BE THIS SOOTHING!? <3
Taboo Tattoo - Episode 005(was it?)Show
Hey, despite everything, it's actually pretty interesting... if not for the plot butchery that is so shit it doesn't feel like it's JC.
(JC butchers plot... in a smarter way.)
Last edited by Reverend on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto
2017 Female Favorite: Kanbe Kotori
2017 Male Favorite: Sakamaki Izayoi

Post by RailWarrior » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:23 pm

Love Live! Sunshine Episodes 3-6Show
I felt this was necessary.

9. Fuck Ruby

8. Fuck Dia
8. Fuck Yoshiko

6. I have no reason to hate Chika, so I don't actually hate her, but I hate her anyway.

5. Fuck Mari when she uses Engrish. Otherwise, she's alright.

4. Hanamaru and her "zura" annoys me, but she's okay.
4. Riko is okay.

2. Kanan doesn't have nearly enough screen time, so it's too early to tell for sure, but she's better than (almost) everyone else.

1. You is, relatively, a goddess.
Tokei Shikake Tenshi
Rogue
Rogue
Worships: Yuki Kajiura
Melon Pan: 55
Wish: Chocolate sundaes

Post by Tokei Shikake Tenshi » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:00 am

RailWarrior wrote:
Orange Episodes 2-6Show
Please for the love of god, STOP with the Kakeru x Naho.
Lol I know. They're too fluffy for me.
Orange, Episode 1-6Show
I don't remember if I've already done this already because I'm way far behind other people regarding this season's anime.
Okay so, Naho is pretty good for a protagonist. Yes, she can be kind of a dumbass at times but hey- she's a kid. Kakeru is kind of bland. I can see why Naho likes him but he just isn't my type. Now Suwa is amazing. He's a jock who isn't a jerk and he actually hides his crush on Naho pretty well because I had a hard time realizing it. Hagita's an Ikemen <3 XD Can I just say I love Azusa? I hope I'm not the only one. She's so cute, especially her dynamic with Hagita. I ship them more than I ship Naho x Kakeru and I wanna see more of them. Takako is a chill girl and I like that. btw Ueda is a b*tch but I can't say I hate her.

So far, the story's pretty good. I'm just wondering, do these kids STUDY?! Like, everytime I see them they're at some festival or date or karaoke. The pacing is fine by me. I'm just surprised future!Naho can remember so clearly about EVERY. SINGLE. EFFING. THING that happened in the past. If Suwa got letters, then that means the others got letters too, right?
P.s: the music is growing on me.
8/10
Am I the only one who ships Hagita x Azusa so badly? I'm curious here.
ImageThanks to Hikari-chan for the amazing signature!
Gyate~Show
Image Image Image
Meguca, Donut-chan and Neptune
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:19 pm

Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-hen Episode…Show
The reason I never liked Danganronpa (anime, season 1) is that the premise was completely stupid. Some idiot starts an apocalypse and the next course of action is to get a bunch of kids together and have them kill each other. I might be oversimplifying--I might not even be accurate--but that's what i felt it was.

Mirai-hen and Zetsubou-hen doesn't suffer from that. Things make sense. For the most part. I'm kind of iffy on Mirai-hen, but I'm enjoying the hell out of Zetsubou-hen
instrern2
Smoked cheese
Smoked cheese
Melon Pan: 51

Post by instrern2 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:04 pm

Danganronpa 3 Mirai - Ep 5Show
Damn I was almost starting to like the Ultimate Drug Addict.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:13 am

Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - Episode 006Show
Now Maria is what you call a good chuuni voice acting of a drama show.
Touyama Nao opted for her normal pitch and delivered Maria as a sweet girl that would make any boy falls in love with her until they know her true side.
Try comparing it to Yohane... It's not Yoshiko's VA acting bad (not at all, she'd done very well actually,) but the pairing just doesn't suit. That's directional mistake.

Btw, back to the anime:
Mizuki can't no longer rest on her laurels.
Danganronpa 3 Zetsubou-hen - Episode 005Show
Impostor is a kind dude? 00

Junko <3
Can't wait for the rest of the 1st years to get screen time.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:08 am

Alderamin - Episode 006Show
- Enough of this shit of Ikta knowing the terrain conveniently. -_-
- This needs to be more military-like. Show not only how bad the military of this country is, but also how shitty the setting is.
- Hey duel. Now that's more military-like... except the story still misses the detail I said.
- Now that's proper Ikta Solork. Though I'm still looking for a proper antagonist.
- Kanna's cute though. And she talks about Aldera. And the title of this series is "Nejimaki Seirei Senki Tenkyou no Alderamin". Main heroine sign?
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:03 am

Because, why not?
Summer 2016 Mid-season RankingShow
Wow. Only 17 series. I'M SO BEHIND.

1. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
1. Amaama to Inazuma
3. D.Gray-man Hallow
4. ReLife
4. Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen
4. Tales of Zestiria the X
7. Mob Psycho 100
7. Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!
9. Qualidea Code
10. Rewrite
11. Amanchu!
12. Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-hen
13. Taboo Tattoo
14. New Game!
15. Love Live! Sunshine
16. Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin
???. Orange

Dropped
Days
Berserk
shadowhunter
~Shadow Crafter~
~Shadow Crafter~
Badges:
Melon Pan: 63

Post by shadowhunter » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:40 pm

LL Sunshine Ep 7Show
Worst episode of season. 4/10
In that 20 mins all 1st and 2nd years were a bunch of random kids. Horrible.
Then so original rivals. I don't care about their vocals. They are another A(B)-Rise. Zero interest. And that girls have too much pride for 2-episode-characters.
No, Chika, no one is expecting something from you. At that moment she was more awful than Honk.
In fact, I'm just salty about low screen time of 3rd years.
INB4 6-member Aqours will be pwned.
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
Worships: God, the real one
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Shiodome Miuna
Wish: Murphy's Law not to be always true

Post by blaZofgold » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:10 am

OH NOOO NEW GAME IS LITERALLY MY FUTURE

MY MAJOR IS GAME DESIGN AND I WANT TO WORK FOR A GAME COMPANY

BUT MY WORK ENVIRONMENT WILL NEVER BE THIS CUTE

Although I wonder if people will wander around the office with boxers? That would be very weird.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:48 am

Qualidea Code Episode 6Show
Asuha is the reason I'm watching this and the reason I look forward to this. However, Tenkawa has become the reason I'm actually enjoying it. It'd be a shame if she isn't able to avoid all the death flags she raised.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:12 am

Love Live! Sunshite - Episode 007Show
Heuh maybe I should give up on Hanamaru, already. F*cking zura ruined her gold potential.

Heuh... -_-
Why you ask f*cking Onee-chan for permission to go for your extracurricular activity, Ruby? Ask your parents or your guardian, instead! She has no right to stop you, since the one signing permission supposedly is the director aka Mari and your parents!
And if Dia doesn't say anything against you being school idol, then no need to thin about it anymore. Tsun don't get to speak as long they keep their tsun, after all.
Whoa what's this top class BGM that unfortunately is out of place while I'm writing this comment? Mari is as annoying as usual, though.

Hanamaru, stop trying to change my mind! :arrowed:
If you really want to, get rid of the zura shit! You can keep the ora, but the zura is pretty forced.

AND SHE KNOWS IT! LISTEN TO HER WISH, PLEASE, MR. WRITER! PROVE THAT YOU DESERVE THE PRAISE AROUND THIS FRANCHISE!
It's just the zura.
She can keep her ora, same way You can keep her 'zoro' or 'choro' or 'soro' or whatever is that I don't know how to write it!?
Shed her away from the trademark copy-doge.

Nothing worth commenting live after that. Nothing noticeable happen.
Ruby, do your job, btw! She asked you to stop her zura!

So, in overall:
Heuh *facepalm*
Somebody killed me for telling this talentless piece of hack of a writer to go die, before.
But seriously: there's nothing more proper for him than that.
The drama around the third years being stuck like this is seriously annoying. We could have gotten Kanan and a heating conflict and a proper explanation that would possibly turn those 3 pile of shit into gold this week. Instead we're being given with some A-Rise copycat that has no meaning to the plot because Chika admired Muse and made Muse her motivation already. (Unlike Honoka who admired A-Rise thus A-Rise is important for her motivation as an idol.)
What are you trying to do?
Avoiding copying Eli? When you already copied this much? -_-
Setting them as antagonist, to add a bit more originality? And I guess those girls are from Otonokizaka? And I guess the only explanation around them would be just like "we're Otonokizaka School Idol thus we have to perform to return them to glory etc etc etc."? Heuh what kind of "originality" is that? -_-
Well, whatever. I just have to butcher this thing again next episode, despite the good execution they probably will have next episode. (Typical Love Live!: super shit plot, brilliant execution.)

And also I need to criticize You.
You staying away from the forced comedy that is neither absurd nor smart but most importantly not funny enough was great.
But now it has went to far! -_-
To the point she doesn't say one single meaningful line.
The only saving grace for her is her uniform fetishes. That flight attendant is mint! But, in a sense, that is also forced comedy (which makes her even more shit.)
If only this is a parody joke or if only the proper comedic nuance have already been established or if only somebody actually turn that into a joke by playing the straight guy and say "what the hell with that costume?", I would have praise it.
But this probably is just them selling their designs on You. -_-

Hmm, good point, huh?
OST as brilliant as always.
And... maybe Chika's Seiyuu deserves praising, too. She delivers this episode brilliantly. Actually turning her into an enjoyable thing to follow. (Well, but that mostly because everybody else are too busy with their quirks to actually contribute to the plot. Chika's Seiyuu is clearly the most talented of them all in voice acting, yeah, but Chika is utter shit and at least there's somebody who stood out in the plot. But this episode isn't revolving around a specific character, thus it's the one that makes use the lines she has that is good. Aka it's the Seiyuu's performance that counts, and there's where Chika wins: her Seiyuu's the most experienced of the bunch, since she's the only one coming from theater background.)
And also nice more background for Riko. But not enough to make use of her full potential. And I'm afraid we don't have enough time.

I really wish to hate Hanamaru. There are like 100 zura to hate Hanamaru in this episode. But that one scene reminds me the gold she is on the inside. Heuh -_-
Heuh I don't think I'll watch QC and Rewrite today. Just can't find the mood.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:31 am

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 20Show
This is the weakest Re:Zero episode to date; actually, it's the only episode I thought to be weak. Nothing here warrants a reset, and nothing is really accomplished. We find out there's multiple whales, but was that really anything but a shock factor? How would multiple whales move the plot along in such a way that is impossible with just a single?

We also get some Wilhelm backstory, but it comes with no significant revelations. What's more, said backstory leaves a lot to be desired, so if Wilhelm is actually dead, then by god Theresia better actually still be alive so we get the rest of the story at some later point.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:55 am

RailWarrior wrote:
Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 20Show
We find out there's multiple whales, but was that really anything but a shock factor? How would multiple whales move the plot along in such a way that is impossible with just a single?
Re:Zero - Episode 020Show
That's the good point of the whale suddenly becomes whales.
Even you don't know what would happen. Nobody knows, with the way it is presented.
it's not a... revelation that makes the plot predictable. I mean: as it is, it can end in the shittiest way possible, or instead continue with the best twist unimaginable to many.
It makes you curious, which is a good thing for an action series.

The 'reset' is the special device for the plot of this series, yes. But there's a limit to how much you can use that device again and again.
Imo, it's pretty refreshing to see them not relying on the 'reset' twist, for once.

Agree that nothing is really accomplished in this episode. And that makes the episode weak plot-wise.
But plot isn't the most important thing in an anime, after all. ;)

Episode itself:
I pray that Theresia is still alive.
Moe girls don't deserve death that cruel.
But, tbh, Wilhem's death is so unconvincing. That makes the end of the episode... kinda unsatisfying.
But still a pretty good episode. This is what you expect out of an action story, or an action anime/film/whatever.
It's not about how fluid or eye-catching or sophisticated the motion sequence is, or about how sick the music is, or how epic the voice work is.
It's about how you make the scenario thrilling, by combining all those elements so that they create an experience not easy to forget. *ehem* Berserk.

Qualidea Code - Episode 006Show
Whoa
The amount of death flags for Ohime-chin are so numerous it's almost obvious she won't die.
I mean: with the way they "killed" Canaria. (Kill, my a**e. Harem lovers don't kill main heroine. Because then the harem would be meaningless.)
But then again, this is DAL, so it's also nothing odd if he does something so stupidly oblivious it's more of a comedy than action drama. :lol:

Shitty Hollywood action movie.
Moehime refusing to board the trains is so effing cliche. 20 years, no, even 10 years ago it was cool. But these days It's B-Movie material these days.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Yeah, no. Fuck Orange.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:59 am

Amaama to Inazuma - Episode 007Show
MASTERPIECE.

Well, except for the shipping. But considering how great they have done everything so far, I'm pretty confident they can turn even the most creepiest and boring and thin plot twist into something beautiful.

But don't get me wrong: I prefer this as it is.
Relationship between a father and his two daughters, licking each other wounds while they find out things about each other that otherwise would go untold.
(Though yeah, the limit of stranger-ness between Kyouhei and Kotori is still there. But it's fine. Gotta keep the established premises tight, after all.)

ps.: Btw, when an anime inside anime has better animation than big money project anime of real world. Qualidea Code duh... :lol:
NEW GAME! - Episode 007Show
Unfortunately I'm not into nigga.
(Although technically she's no nigga. She's Okinawan Japanese.)

Ah so that white hair is real white hair due to age? :lol:
I expected the director to be older than the rest, but I didn't expect her to be that old.
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Alphinaud's carbuncle
Melon Pan: 81
2018 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2018 Male Favorite: Kūjō Jōtarō
2017 Female Favorite: Kirigiri Kyōko
2017 Male Favorite: Heiwajima Shizuo
Wish: ZackRay

Post by Kiwigiwi » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:14 pm

Danganronpa 3 EP 6 Future ArcShow
Kodaka's writing is as shit as ever I see. It bugs me how they're trying to force the despair girls plot to be important for the outcome of this arc.. because I honestly thought the despair girls game was the worst thing to ever come out of the danganronpa franchise.
Anime only people aren't gonna understand what's going on at all since they're throwing in facts from all the games generally.. Granted, this sequel wasn't meant for anime only danganronpa followers in the first place but I may just be cynical in thinking that throwing in Fukawa and Komaru into the mix of this is highly unnecessary.

Munakata is surprisingly inactive this episode but.. we all know there's a storm coming. It's also good to see Togami again.

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
♫ Much love to my secret santa of 2016 ♥
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:49 am

Amaama to Inazuma Episode 7Show
For fuck sake, this whole week of anime is shit. Well, to be fair, I didn't hate Re:Zero; it was just noticeably lackluster. Amaama to Inazuma, though...sigh. There's only so much disbelief I'm willing to suspend for shows like these. Tsumugi leaving the house--sure, whatever; that's acceptable. The passersby that give no shit that a child is randomly off by herself? No. Fuck all of them retards and fuck this anime for portraying this horror show as a cute little adventure.

Well, whatever. At least Kotori is sensible enough to walk Tsumugi back instead of sending her back alone...wait, WTF do you mean you're only walking her back part of the way? You an idiot, too, Kotori?

Inuzuka's outburst wasn't effective. It was too late for that. And when you make every person on the planet look like idiots just so that scene can strike Tsumugi as hard as possible, you're doing it wrong.

And yes, I'm overreacting.

Edit: I got Tsumugi's name wrong. That's how much I don't care about her.
Last edited by RailWarrior on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Sometimes I just cannot differ between Rail being tsun and Rail being "seriously sarcastic". ^^;
Danganronpa 3 Mirai-hen - Episode 007Show
Whoa... what a weak way to convince us that Yukizome is dead.
It was so weak... that I might actually believe. ^^;
Hmm...

As for the other plot: As shit as Kodaka is at writing, I still don't believe it's that simple.
- If Munakata really wish to get rid the other classes and take over the foundation for himself, then he won't be stupid enough to kill potential merc such as the Remnants of Despair, especially since he holds the card that is Yukizome. (Even death, she's still a card to play.)
- Monokuma called Miaya's bear little sister still ticks me.
Tales of Berseria - Episode 007Show
My Velvet... <3
I'm just here for her.
Ufotable and their clouds can go f*ck off.

But witch girl's kinda out of place it's cute.

Hey, the song for Berseria anime is sick!

But the OP song for the game... heuh Flow again. I wonder when will they retire...
Their music is good, yes, but it's pretty outdated.

So, in overall:
I just want more Velvet. Shitty Sorey and his ilks can go die.
Tales of Berseria itself.. I don't think it will be that good as a game, mainly because there isn't much time to develop as much new features as Zestiria.
But story-wise, I'm quite confident it will be better. The main protagonist looks a much better one (and that has nothing to do with me fanboy-ing moe Velvet.)
The dimension looks a bit crude, but the idea looks more developed than the one in Zestiria and the pacing in the anime preview is just horrible and "typical ufotable" (emphasize the action, border everything else with clouds -_-) which means there simply no enough time to explain it.
I expect the game to explain that more properly, as we have at least 3 characters with their own story (unlike Zestiria, where only Edna's part that can be considered as "standalone, but connected as an arc", and that never got told beyond the start, because they want it to be concentrated around Sorey.) This at least promise deep character building, (which is the trademark of a JRPG, and what makes them so good to their fans.) And, alongside character building, is dimension building.

ps: they need to do better on the logic inside the script. Don't follow shitty ufotable imaginary world where Oscar just shoots lightning and stabs Velvet and then instead taking away the ship or trying to make sure Velvet's dead, he just disappears. (or do you intend to explain that, too, inside the game?)
Rewrite - Episode 007Show