Summer 2016 Anime - Reviews & Recommendations

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto

Re: Summer 2016 Anime - Reviews & Recommendations

Post by RailWarrior » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:53 pm

Tales of Zestiria the X Final ThoughtsShow
I think it's no exaggeration to say that, with Tales of Zestiria the X, ufotable has perfected the art of adaptation, improving upon everything that made the game bad. Despite episode 0, I still went into the series expecting the worst for Alisha. Thankfully, episode 0 wasn't just baiting fans in just to again crush their expectations later. I also went in expecting Rose to be, for lack of a better term, a douche--she wasn't. At least, anime!Rose wasn't, and the anime is what matters to me. I don't know much about the game's (often described to be lackluster) story, but the anime's was far from lackluster--that is, barring the pointless Berseria stuff.

I enjoyed Zestiria the most out of the anime this season. In my heart, it was perfect; but my brain tells me it's not quite special enough to get 10/10. So next best thing is 9/10.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:12 pm

RailWarrior wrote:
I think it's no exaggeration to say that, with Tales of Zestiria the X, ufotable has perfected the art of adaptation.
SpoilerShow
Is Zestiria can even be counted as adaptation?
I think it's more right to say that it's a new route. An Alisha route (well, if anyone want to count the game as Sorey route.)
After all, tbh, the only thing they improve... is actually turning Alisha into a main heroine. The rest... they rework every detail just to support that new part for Alisha + make due with the minutes.

The shit part comes after this, btw.
Thus the whole perfection praise should be (and hopefully can be) directed at the second season.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:40 pm

Reverend wrote:
RailWarrior wrote:
I think it's no exaggeration to say that, with Tales of Zestiria the X, ufotable has perfected the art of adaptation.
SpoilerShow
Is Zestiria can even be counted as adaptation?
I think it's more right to say that it's a new route. An Alisha route (well, if anyone want to count the game as Sorey route.)
After all, tbh, the only thing they improve... is actually turning Alisha into a main heroine. The rest... they rework every detail just to support that new part for Alisha + make due with the minutes.

The shit part comes after this, btw.
Thus the whole perfection praise should be (and hopefully can be) directed at the second season.
SpoilerShow
It does feel like an "Alisha Route" to me. I mean, I won't deny the possibility of bias in favor of Alisha, but the story, to me, just feels like normal plot progression supervised by a capable director. Everyone has had an active role in the anime; Alisha just stands out because everyone knows roughly that the game handled her poorly, and they're surprised the anime isn't doing the same. I mean, sure her apparent role in the anime is a lot more important than, say, Mikleo or Lailah's, but that's because she has her own story while the latter two's story just revolves around supporting Sorey.
avery-kun
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Berserker!
Melon Pan: 135
Wish: Illya 2017!

Post by avery-kun » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:24 am

Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no AlderaminShow
Stuck in that inter-season time period where Fate/Kaleid has ended, Tales of Zestiria the X hasn't ended, but WIXOSS hasn't yet started, I decided to benign watch this show, not realizing that I had miscalculated the number of episodes and so have to waiting until Friday to see the finale. :headdesk:

The story and pacing feelings too much like a light-novel. Like somebody said (adapt these two books, that is all) and so the studio adapted the books, even though neither book achieves anything truly significant in the longer picture. The entire season so far fails to properly establish the goal of the series, nor provide any concrete steps towards said goal, with the exception "characters join military".

Of course, like anime tends to, the main cast is a bunch of teenagers acting like they are 5 years older than they are while performing the roles they would if they were 10 years older. Rather than establishing an older and experience cast, we are thus forced to suffer through not one, but two are dedicated to explaining how they come to play a meaningful role into the main conflict of the story; The War that is never explained.

I don't expect we'll get a second season. If Madhouse can't give Overlord a second season, no way this show gets ones. While I personally would like to see more of the series, which I'll unfortunately be unable to do because the light-novel is barely translated beyond the events of the anime. The show is so poorly adapted to an anime format that I doubt it'll sale any significant number of blu-rays.

The main redeeming quality of the show is relationship between Yatori and Ikta. The seem to maintain a true friendship, rather than any romantic relationship. We see that Ikta is a playboy, but that doesn't seem to bother Yatori too much, except for when it causes trouble for her. Even as Ikta slowing builds out his harem (The princess, the sergeant, the chieftain), Yatori shows few signs of jealously. Its the kind of relationship I want more of in anime. A good old, heterosexual bromance.

PS: Why do so many of the women where mid-rift baring outfits? The Princess, Yatori, young Yatori, Haroma.... it just feels weird how common that is.
PSS: Why do the female's military uniforms include a skirt? What purpose do those serve except to say "I'm a woman!" Well, at least they seem to be wearing thick leggings underneath, leaving the skirt almost entirely superfluous. Which begs the question why it was even apart of the design in the first place. But whatever.
PSSS: Of course the antagonist counter-part to Ikta's Mary Sue-ness's assistant is a moeblob... Why? Just why? She is even adorably afraid of heights! WHY? WHAT PURPOSE DOES THAT SERVE EXCEPT TO MAKE HER MOE!?
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:05 am

avery-kun wrote:
PSS: Why do the female's military uniforms include a skirt? What purpose do those serve except to say "I'm a woman!" Well, at least they seem to be wearing thick leggings underneath, leaving the skirt almost entirely superfluous. Which begs the question why it was even apart of the design in the first place. But whatever.
eh.... female official military uniform is a skirt.
SpoilerShow
It's the female military field suit that isn't. (Female military field suit is the one we get a GATE or Grisaia, it looks almost the same as male's, but there is a bit modification on the c***ch part (or well, at least there is in some army. Not everyone cares about whether your h*men is still intact or not.))

But the setting certainly took place during times when military still used only 1 uniform per season (or even 1 for the first 3 and winter uniform for winter,) so don't expect the girls to actually wear modern standard military uniform.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
avery-kun
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Berserker!
Melon Pan: 135
Wish: Illya 2017!

Post by avery-kun » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Reverend wrote:
avery-kun wrote:
eh.... female official military uniform is a skirt.
SpoilerShow
It's the female military field suit that isn't. (Female military field suit is the one we get a GATE or Grisaia, it looks almost the same as male's, but there is a bit modification on the c***ch part (or well, at least there is in some army. Not everyone cares about whether your h*men is still intact or not.))

But the setting certainly took place during times when military still used only 1 uniform per season (or even 1 for the first 3 and winter uniform for winter,) so don't expect the girls to actually wear modern standard military uniform.
I was more upset at the training and field uniforms also including the pleated skirt. But I digress.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:32 pm

D.Gray-man HALLOW Final ThoughtsShow
There's four anime that really define the start of my anime career. They are D.Gray-man, Digimon Adventure, Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, and Gundam SEED. The first two had been revived, and man was my hype off the charts. Now with the news that elDLIVE is getting an adaptation, my hype meter continues to rise.

Anyway, point is, there was no way I would ever have hated D.Gray-man HALLOW; I don't care how much TMS could hypothetically have messed up.

I might be stepping into cheesy or cliche territory now, but I want to say it. HALLOW and Digimon Adventure tri made me realize something that my past self understood and that my present self almost lost to (thanks to the cancerous part of the anime community): trying to justify why I like or hate something is dumb. If I like it, I like it. If I hate it, I hate it. That's all that really matters. Now, I still make comments like the Rewrite and Love Live! Sunshine!! ones, but those are NOT justifications. Those are actual truthful reasons as to why I like or hate the series.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:01 am

No time to do full review
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!Show
8/10

In the end, it's just another romcom that gets too busy with its comedy it forgets the romance.
But it's fine. Only a fool would ask for series-length plot progression out of an episodic romcom.
The comedy isn't special. Some are raw, some are cooked. But you wouldn't find many element that may frustrate you (well, except Sensei.) So it's a pretty decent show to follow week in week out.

Usami is cute. Collette is cute. Imari is cute. Moeka is moe.
NEW GAME!Show
Now here's the other episodic show.
The moe show of the season.

8/10
Actually, I don't know what to rate this. I feel like I need to rewatch it again at a later date.
Nice mix of standard comedy and fuwa fuwa moe comedy, with SoL drama as its cherry topping. The story is lead by Aoba, a moe standard good main character that drives the plot during her part, but knows when and how to step back when the stage isn't hers. She is trying her best as a noob worker working under her favorite artist, Yagami Kou. Kou herself, while having most part (second only to Aoba) and listed as main, she's closer to main supporting that plays as heel to Aoba's face role (well, or the right comparison is: she plays as the one who lifts Aoba while Aoba climbs up,) and the only times she takes main role is when it's about her x Rin.
The earlier episodes are great. There's a "somehow it's good" mix between the cast in the art department. While Hifumi is mostly dan moe moe stuff, Hajime & Yun & Kou & Rin play good clown to Aoba's straight man, producing the two types of comedy I mentioned previously.

As we get to later episodes, the production process enters late stages, and they choose to focus on the game process more.
It's good in a sense that it makes the show itself feels... progressing. But the new characters (well, not new, but Nene is almost as close as background character before debugging stage) fail to fill the hole that the art division characters left (well, they don't really left, but the focus changes, so they are put even aside.)
Ahagon is like a nigga version of Hifumi (and both is boring as fuck character-wise, although they have their own respective share in this... moe fanbase,) and Nene has to put clown acts over clown acts again and again and again, making it very boring. Kou's role, too, is reduced, because in the end she's the artist. Ahagon tried to fill this role, but she also has her own role, so she can't do it all. To help fill this hole, should be the role of Hazuki as producer, who should have overseen the crucial part of the late stage by herself (thus she should have been able to give more clown.) But we don't get it, as Ahagon said "she has something else to do."
I know she's right, but it can't hurt to make Hazuki a director that at least pay attention to this stage so she can get involved more. Or maybe even make another character that can play Yun's & Hajime's role.

The SoL element itself... ain't that brilliant. But I think comedy is the main genre is. So any SoL, like I said, is just a cherry topping.

But, in overall, it's a nice episodic show to follow. It won't take you deep into its dimension, and won't give you a journey of laugh and tears more laugh like what some moe SoL shows give you. But it will give you your weekly dosage of moe fluffy stuff, packaged in a pretty decent way that won't... frustrate you. (unless you're a drama freak. But, like I said, plot isn't everything.)
DarknessHid
Wise wolf
Wise wolf
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: xtina
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: christina aguilera to go on tour

Post by DarknessHid » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:21 am

Mob Psycho 100 finaleShow
Reigen is a god among men. The realest fake to grace the anime world. 'Nuff said.
thank you santa
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:30 pm

I almost forgot that this existed:
Under the DogShow
I feel cheated when the introductory cast isn't the main cast. If I'm going to invest emotions into a character, I want the investment to last for a reasonable duration. This is a sentiment I've had since almost the start of my anime career, thanks to a little series called Ga-rei Zero back in 2008. While the conditions on what I find acceptable in these situations has changed and evolved over the years, the overall idea hasn't. Under the Dog can go fuck itself for pulling this shit. I don't necessarily hate the anime; I just dislike this aspect of it.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:28 pm

Alderamin in the Sky - Episode 012, and in overallShow
... I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT SHIT CLICHE ANIME ARMY MILITARY ORDER!?

Oh I see. So the flashlight jutsu is specials of the Empire? Where the fuck is the Aldera knowledge when Kioka need them? Talk about only teaching but not learning, Jean.
And yeah yeah no need to explain the scene again.
Why not act like a leader, btw? I was hoping you'd be one of the cliche anime antagonist that keeps his/her head cool at any situation. Turns out you're just some shitty Gongjin wannabe. (Hell... even Gongjin kept his head cool.) A order freak that fail to understand chaos? Heuh...
And stop shouting, please. Not when the whole anime have failed to depict old soldier's (and modern soldier's, actually) habit of shouting almost everything.
I know you're supposed to be an idealist. But still you're a military tactician. Politician shouts their ideal. But a man of your calibre... I expect you to keep your calm against somebody "you have just met."

Eh... what's with the hunger to humiliate, btw?
Apparently the military dislike Lt. Gen that much? Even though he's leader of the northern army because the emperor told him so? You dare to question His Majesty's decision? :lol:

Apparently the Princess's a fool who thinks losing the war would mean breaking the old corrupt system, and going as far as willing to pay the price with not only losing her personal title and wealth, but also risking her people into slavery of a country that applies old days mercantilism.
Oi... stop reading your books and start trying to go to papa's court, Princess.
Well, no worries, Mr. Writer would not go that far into the dimension. He'll stop when the protagonists' roles in the story are over.

6/10

1. In overall, it's decent war anime. It's nowhere near special, but still a decent watch.
2. The main theme, and the main focus of this particular series and adaptation, is about how war affects people who knows little of it. Not a bad thing to show. At the least we know people buy.
3. But there's a lack of an exposure for a main antagonist, that serves as the dark hand that controls all. That made things felt like it's just Ikta & friends OP-ing everyone. The antagonists... are all mob bosses. While Jean is that nemesis character that the writer probably plans to turn into friend in the future (whether literally, or not.)
4. And there's a lack of proper world building, which is very unfortunate considering Ikta's studious personality is pretty much the tools to do so. He always talk science, now if that's the case then he should have, at some point, try to learn about that little thing on his shoulder more than the conventional knowledge of that world.
The politics, too, are messy. Mostly explained in early episodes of that useless Princess whose name I cannot pronounce, and also during Ikta's & Yatori's childhood episode.
5. Now, the reason for all of that is because they want the war tragedy to be the only thing we pay attention. (well, that and the battle and the Yatori killing people.) They don't dare to insert other elements, in fear they will ruin the pace. Now that's a good call on the staff' part.
6. But that doesn't excuse the main problem that, in a war opera such as this, details of the world is so important, because it'll serve as motive of the war, and basis for any tactic the commanders' may pull. So if that detail isn't explained... what the hell am I suppose to think about, after I watch this every week?
(or well, maybe it's the LN that sucks? I don't know. I don't read it. Either way, somebody's missing something in their story-telling.)
7. So, yeah, I'm pretty disappointed that the director paid more attention to getting top-class animation and vibe, and ignored the elements that should have turned this super convenient shit plot line into something good. 6 is shit, it is, from me.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:30 am

Kuromukuro Episode 26Show
I hate this cliche as fuck ending, and it could all have been avoided if they just avoided the stupid Kennosuke x Yukina shit.

That said, I'll await P.A.Works's next endeavor.
tehyc
[Death by Embracing]
[Death by Embracing]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Melon Pan: 36
2018 Female Favorite: Kuroyukihime

Post by tehyc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:36 pm

Friendly reminder~~
Fall 2016 anime and Summer 2016 leftover's reviews/recommendations/anything-related should be posted here.

If you done a Summer 2016 series after this, you can post your reviews/recommendations/anything-related at Your Catchup Bucket.

This thread will down from sticky.
Thanks~~
ImageImage