Definition of "Best Girl" possibly redefined for all time!!

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Keima
Salamander
Salamander
Worships: Black Rock Shooter (BRS)
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Isla
2017 Male Favorite: Katsuragi Keima
Wish: Still want even more professional quality Vocaloid events in the U.S.

Definition of "Best Girl" possibly redefined for all time!!

Post by Keima » Wed May 24, 2017 7:10 am

I know, I know....the phrase "best girl" gets thrown around so much these days so casually and everyone on Earth has their own standards/definition of what qualifies a particular character to have that title that the very meaning is so subjective. I've been watching anime for literally decades. I know this better than anyone.

But still something happened to me recently to make me rethink just what that title means.

I recently watched two of the new "Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru" movies ("Washio Sumi no Shou - Tomadachi" and "Tamashii"). I watched the original series when it first came out and I knew these were supposed to be prequels to that series, so I knew in the back of my mind what I should expect. But even so nothing prepared me for what I was about to witness.

So there's this character named Gin Minowa, and she's basically just like the titular charachter Yuuki from the original series. She's a bit of a tomboy and super athletic but with a super good heart who loves helping people. Pretty much just like a clone of Yuuki Yuuna. And well as you can guess, after seeing her it made me think real hard about that term "best girl". I mean seriously. If you've seen the movies you know what I'm talking about. And if you haven't yet, while I do want to highly recommend them as required watching for ALL anime fans, I have to forewarn everyone: they're definitely NOT for the faint of heart. Especially the 2nd one.

When I first watched it I was like "ooh man, this is intense". This was last Saturday. But by the next day I was like "OMG, thinking back on it, wow that was just too much!" By Monday the entire ending of that 2nd movie was haunting my thoughts all day while at work and it was getting hard to concentrate on anything else. Every once in a while you come across those animes where you watch something shocking and/or super sad or dramatic but it doesn't really hit you real bad at first because your brain is still processing it all. But as time goes by you keep thinking back on it and the more you dwell/contemplate what you just watched, the more and more you slowly start to feel the gravity of what all just transpired. I haven't felt this messed up internally since watching the Hughes death scene in the original "Full Metal Alchemist" years ago (and yes that includes that one episode of "Re:Zero" with the head decapitation scene at the very end).

So here I am writing about it all in part to vent some of what I've been feeling the past few days, but also to promote the movies and especially Gin to more people, and if I've gotten anyone to rethink their definition of 'best girl', then all the more better. In any case I definitely will be campaigning hard for Gin in future upcoming Saimoe tournaments.

I mean how can i not, when:
SpoilerShow
Gin goes down like a super bad-ass final boss at the end. To think that a spunky 6th grade girl had to take on THREE vertexes single handedly like that to save not only Sumi and Sonoko, but the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE - LITERALLY! She takes on wounds and injuries which would have severely incapacitated many full grown tough guys and just fights on Terminator style like some of the best super warriors of ancient times sometimes did. If she had let up even the tiniest bit she could've very well lost and it would've meant the end of all humanity, and indeed she barely pulls off a nothing short of miraculous victory - dying still standing with her boots on, despite the mutilations and all. And if she hadn't won the world would've ended and there would've been no events after this that were in the original series - and no Yuuki Yuuna or the happy ending of that series and all that. Her paying the ultimate price like that is the kind of thing that gives teeth to the meaning of the word "sacrifice".
So to sum up: yeah Gin Minowa definitely earns that title of "Best Girl" in my book. I must remember to campaign hard for her in the future.

One last parting gift.
SpoilerShow
Last edited by Keima on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Re: Definition of "Best Girl" possibly redefined for all tim

Post by Reverend » Wed May 24, 2017 10:43 pm

Because having a dude dying on a last stand fight is too cliche and doesn't sell in anime.

I haven't watch the 2nd movie, though. (I didn't even know it's out already.)
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Keima
Salamander
Salamander

Post by Keima » Sun May 28, 2017 8:15 am

Boredom along with obsession for this show have led to interesting ways to pay homage.

WARNING: Spoilers for what happens in the 2nd movie:
SpoilerShow
I"m not Buddhist, but when I came across an image of Gin's funeral pic I thought I'd pay tribute to the one true hero by making her a makeshift Butsudan of sorts

HelixDraxzonyx
Rogue
Rogue
Worships: Ruiko Saten
Wish: To see one of my stories/fan fictions made into an anime

Post by HelixDraxzonyx » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:58 pm

So how would you "redefine" the term Best Girl in a way that makes sense for someone who has never seen Yuuki Yuuna and never intends to? Because the whole post so far kind of requires that sort of knowledge, which seems to ignore the tastes of other people. How does your definition of "best girl" apply to other characters, such as Ruiko Saten (Toaru Kagaku no Railgun) or to Snow White (Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku) for example?
In Sword Art Online, a single blade could take you anywhere. In my world, a single pen can destroy that blade, or transform it into something that can change the world for millennia to come. Allow me to reveal to you the infinite power of a writer.
Keima
Salamander
Salamander

Post by Keima » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:05 am

HelixDraxzonyx wrote:So how would you "redefine" the term Best Girl in a way that makes sense for someone who has never seen Yuuki Yuuna and never intends to? Because the whole post so far kind of requires that sort of knowledge, which seems to ignore the tastes of other people. How does your definition of "best girl" apply to other characters, such as Ruiko Saten (Toaru Kagaku no Railgun) or to Snow White (Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku) for example?
Why anyone who participates in Saimoe on a Saimoe website wouldn't want to watch the "Yuuki Yuna" series is beyond me (especially since the character designer for the series is none other that BUNBUN), but oh well, whatever......

Just click on the spoiler link in the OP.