Disapperance of Suzumiya Haruhi The Movie

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Cassiopeia
Combat butler
Combat butler
Worships: Tennos "A-tan" Athena
Melon Pan: 50

Disapperance of Suzumiya Haruhi The Movie

Post by Cassiopeia » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:10 am

After a bit of hesitation, I finally watched The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi cam version.

I have already read all the light novels, so I knew the story, but it is a lot different to follow the story with amazing animation and voice works.
The Haruhi second season was a bit of disappointment for me due to the way Kyoani stretched endless eight beyond my patience, but this just makes up for it. Well I am not going to do any spoilers here, so I won't be talking about the movie.

I just wish I can go to Japan and watch this in theaters. Well I may be going to Japan in August, hopefully they will still play it in the theaters by the time I go there. I heard about Kyoani extending the playing time, so I am hoping for the best.

Did anyone of you watch it as well? The Disappearnace of Suzumiya Haruhi is one of the favourite parts of the light novel for me, so kudos to Kyoani for executing it so well. :D Haruhi and Yuki are moe as usual... lol maybe I have to change my favourites for ISML2010 back to Haruhi and Yuki again.

I wish I can buy a BD version of this, but I suppose it won't be able to play in NA region BDP.... so I may have to just rely on ripped version for this. Well if you hate the quality of cam version, you may have to wait a while to watch this.. The quality of the camera version movie is pretty bad, so I don't suggest downloading it. Just watch it at http://www.gogoanime.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, if you are interested.
Image Credit to Awesome Hikarin <3 ISML2011 FINAL <3
Alexander
Translator
Translator
Badges:
Melon Pan: 92
Wish: It's a secret

Re: Disapperance of Suzumiya Haruhi The Movie

Post by Alexander » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:17 am

Found out about camrip version of the movie a few days ago but didn't bother to download/watch because I don't like seeing Anime in bad quality. So i guess I will be waiting for the DVD/BD release.
ImageImage
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:03 am

Amazing.

Aside from the story and the acting (perfect), the animation quality is above KyoAni's normal quality...it is beyond their Key works quality. It amazing enough that I forget it was a bad camerarip (one the screen was tilted correctly) because the quality showed though even the camera.

I don't know if our screens can handle this movie in BD...the quality might be so great that the world will end (slight exaggeration...but only slight)
Space Opera
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:22 pm

Pretty sure Disappearence will blow out my consciousness with its sheer awesome once I watch it, but for maximum effect (I reckon it's always the best first time around) I'm going to wait for the DVDs first.

GODDAMNIT MUST RESIST.
SpoilerShow
Game8910
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Worships: Nakagawa Kanon
Wish: Athena gets really popular in the future, also TWGOK S3

Post by Game8910 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:06 pm

This is the best animated feature I've seen since Aria the Origination. This was truly the best anime movie I've ever seen, and will buy the BD when its out
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:13 pm

Resistance...is futile.

You will be Moe'd.
Space Opera
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Post by chaosprophet » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:27 pm

Watched it two days ago. It was utterly awesome!

Even if I already knew what would happen (I read the novels), I was still able to enjoy it immensely. I wonder how it would be if I didn't. I would probably be surprised a few times. The quality from the camrip was really bad but not unwatchable, and I did found myself forgetting I was watching camrips many times because of how much the story would compels me. There was also one extremely great scene around tha end that really got to me, the emotion it transmited was fabulous.
Cassiopeia
Combat butler
Combat butler

Post by Cassiopeia » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Alexander wrote:Found out about camrip version of the movie a few days ago but didn't bother to download/watch because I don't like seeing Anime in bad quality. So i guess I will be waiting for the DVD/BD release.
yeah it may be a good idea to wait, if you are patient enough. If you already know the story, you may not lose as much though. I am also waiting for Nanoha Movie... That's also gonna be awesome
ithekro wrote:Amazing.

Aside from the story and the acting (perfect), the animation quality is above KyoAni's normal quality...it is beyond their Key works quality. It amazing enough that I forget it was a bad camerarip (one the screen was tilted correctly) because the quality showed though even the camera.

I don't know if our screens can handle this movie in BD...the quality might be so great that the world will end (slight exaggeration...but only slight)
lol I agree, this is one of the best anime movies I have watched.. Kudos to Kyoani, I didn't like the way they were going recently, but I like Kyoani again because of this. :D
Eater-of-All wrote:Pretty sure Disappearence will blow out my consciousness with its sheer awesome once I watch it, but for maximum effect (I reckon it's always the best first time around) I'm going to wait for the DVDs first.

GODDAMNIT MUST RESIST.

lol Good luck! I gave in to the temptation, and I don't regret it. The quality is bad, but the anime was so awesome that I think this is the first time I have ever enjoyed watching cam. version of any movies...
Game8910 wrote:This is the best animated feature I've seen since Aria the Origination. This was truly the best anime movie I've ever seen, and will buy the BD when its out
Yeah I really want a BD version of this.. I don't have a BDP yet, but I may buy a PS3 if my xbox dies on me, but it won't play on North American BDPs... sigh.. I guess I may have to be satisfied with BD rip versions. But it will be still awesome to watch it in HDTV+Home theater, I can't wait. :D

chaosprophet wrote:Watched it two days ago. It was utterly awesome!

Even if I already knew what would happen (I read the novels), I was still able to enjoy it immensely. I wonder how it would be if I didn't. I would probably be surprised a few times. The quality from the camrip was really bad but not unwatchable, and I did found myself forgetting I was watching camrips many times because of how much the story would compels me. There was also one extremely great scene around tha end that really got to me, the emotion it transmited was fabulous.
Yeah the way they illustrated Yuki's emotion was awesome.. I also liked the ending after the credit.. My favourite is still Haruhi, but Yuki is so moe... I hope many people watch this before the end of ISML.
Team Rocket Elite
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Bernkastel
Wish: dried plums to go with the tea.

Post by Team Rocket Elite » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:30 pm

The movie was amazing. I've read the light novels and Disappearance was my favorite story. Kyoani did a perfect job with the movie. The artwork and animation were very well done whenever the camrip actually let you get a good look. I'm defintely buying a copy of the movie whenever it gets licenced.
A miracle that you believe in when you know it won't happen......... is hope.
ppizzapie
Torch
Torch
Wish: the "worships" field to be changed to "adores"

Post by ppizzapie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:28 am

I've waited so long for this, I can wait a little longer. If it's as good as people say I want the best possible experience watching this (as in nothing below 720p)

I already know what happens anyways having read the novels, so the suspense isn't killing me that badly.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MyAnimeListShow
ImageImageImage
imbehindyou
Time traveler
Time traveler
Worships: Rena
Wish: Becoming Pokemon Master.  Wishes for: Becoming teh Master Hater.  Wishes for: James' Victreebel & Mime Jr. Secret Identity: I am a robot. 

Post by imbehindyou » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:48 am

Even the crappy cam-rip quality couldn't hide the awesomeness of the movie. It was amazing.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:20 am

Cassiopeia wrote:
chaosprophet wrote:Watched it two days ago. It was utterly awesome!

Yeah the way they illustrated Yuki's emotion was awesome.. I also liked the ending after the credit.. My favourite is still Haruhi, but Yuki is so moe... I hope many people watch this before the end of ISML.
The scene I meant was:
for movieShow
The scene from when Kyon starts his monologue after he sees yuki coming to the place where she would change reality (the whole explanation about her "error") and up to the part where he is facing himself regarding the fact of how he actually enjoys the SOS dan. I cryed a lot at that part for reasons hard to explain. It wasn't really by a specific feeling but rather a myriad of them. Such a powerful emotion that was passed at that part.
ppizzapie wrote:I've waited so long for this, I can wait a little longer. If it's as good as people say I want the best possible experience watching this (as in nothing below 720p)

I already know what happens anyways having read the novels, so the suspense isn't killing me that badly.
Well I also did know what would happen. What compelled me to watch the camrips was because it was the adaptation of my fav haruhi volume, plus I expected it to be very well done as Melancholy and Sighs were. I understand how hard it is to adap well a novel as it's a format very different from anime. Even if you get an anime as good or better it's common to still have something left ot from the novel. What I liked about haruhi anime is that they tended to be as good as the novel and still keep the left out as minumun. Kudos to KyoAni and maybe to the unusual way haruhi novels present itself. The Dissapearance though... isn't not only better than the novel, but I would say there is nothing left out and only to gain with it. Those 2:40 expent on it was very well used (at first i had now idea how it could last that long!).
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:42 am

You know....this movie would have been eight episodes long had it been part of the TV series. It also would have been disjointed since the breaks in action and plot are not in neat 20 minutes blocks (At least I don't think they are).
Space Opera
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Well, Probably one of the reasons they made the endless eight with 8 eps was to be able to fill the "second season" and animate everything before Dissappearance (chronologicaly) besides Dissapearence itself. And then we get that marvelous movie! =D
Cassiopeia
Combat butler
Combat butler

Post by Cassiopeia » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:57 am

chaosprophet wrote:Well, Probably one of the reasons they made the endless eight with 8 eps was to be able to fill the "second season" and animate everything before Dissappearance (chronologicaly) besides Dissapearence itself. And then we get that marvelous movie! =D
Yeah they turned things around with the movie. The fans were so irritated with endless eight that the dvd released for it suffered huge discounts due to declining in demand lol.

Spoilers!! Don't open if you haven't read the disappearance light novel.
SpoilerShow
I agree that Kyoani was probably buying time with the same episode with few changes (like clothes) while they were busy with the movie. But some people argue that Kyoani purposely made endless eight long enough to make the audience feel bored like what Yuki felt. Endless eight was a culprit behind abnormal codes Yuki generated for the disappearance of haruhi, since she had to endure experiencing the same events during the endless eight for 15,532 times ... Her emotion could be seen clearly during the endless eight episodes in tv anime.. If that was the intention behind the endless eight saga, I applaud Kyoani for their bravery and production value, but they still went to far :P The endless eight continued longer than the light novel in terms of numbers. :D
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:13 am

Cassiopeia wrote:Spoilers!! Don't open if you haven't read the disappearance light novel.
SpoilerShow
I agree that Kyoani was probably buying time with the same episode with few changes (like clothes) while they were busy with the movie. But some people argue that Kyoani purposely made endless eight long enough to make the audience feel bored like what Yuki felt. Endless eight was a culprit behind abnormal codes Yuki generated for the disappearance of haruhi, since she had to endure experiencing the same events during the endless eight for 15,532 times ... Her emotion could be seen clearly during the endless eight episodes in tv anime.. If that was the intention behind the endless eight saga, I applaud Kyoani for their bravery and production value, but they still went to far :P The endless eight continued longer than the light novel in terms of numbers. :D
Well...
haruhi second seasonShow
My greatest problem with E8 is that if they wanted to have 8 episodes they could have made them with more differances.. I mean nagato said many times ow they had 5 different kind of part time jopbs and sometimes they didn't do, and etc. It was like the plot was handing them the chance to make 8 but still quite different episodes.
waterfall
Dancer
Dancer

Post by waterfall » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:13 pm

So Yuki's winning this year right? Right?

I still haven't watched though... I mean, I've been waiting almost three years for this, what's a few more months? XP
An eternity that's what. Must... be... patient...
Thanks Marinara for the sig. =D
WhiteCrow
Pokémon trainer
Pokémon trainer

Post by WhiteCrow » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:07 am

Still looking forward for the BD release... three great movies(including Disappearance) came out this January and haven't seen any of them.
Maybe they'll come out by July?
ImageImage Image ImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage Image Image Image Image
pseudonhym
Gym leader
Gym leader
Wish: An unpredictable SAIMOE 2011

Post by pseudonhym » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:42 am

Yuki with emotions = win....
And I have to agree with most of the comments that KyoAni really did a great job in this movie. For someone who never did get to read the novels (and someone who is VERY DENSE like me), I'd say this movie made me confirm most speculations on how each character feels. Also, the movie made me reassess my favorites ranking. Yuki was already my favorite when she was emotionless, but seeing a side of her flowing with emotions really had me going for her.
waterfall wrote:So Yuki's winning this year right? Right?

I still haven't watched though... I mean, I've been waiting almost three years for this, what's a few more months? XP
An eternity that's what. Must... be... patient...
Winning is uncertain, but the release of that movie will absolutely boost Yuki without fail.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Please Support Senjougahara Hitagi in the International Saimoe League
hinakatbklyn
Incubator
Incubator
Melon Pan: 55

Post by hinakatbklyn » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Looks like 2 US locations will get a subbed screening of the movie. It may not be enough to boost Yuki that much with only a limited release, but at least some can see the movie in much better quality than with camrips.