[DISCUSSION] Space Opera Talk

Presenting ISML as a dramatic galactic war...
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

[DISCUSSION] Space Opera Talk

Post by Crisu » Fri May 29, 2009 3:43 pm

This was originally melange's idea, I believe, but I'm willing to try out the experiment.

In case you didn't want to disrupt Ithekro's flow of posting in the story threads, here's a thread where you can give feedback/questions/complaints/compliments to the Space Opera development.

In general, it's totally fine if you reply to the individual threads -- we're glad to have your input and participation. But if you wanted to take a question to separate place, here it is. :)
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
LazyCanuck
Chuunibyou
Chuunibyou

Re: [DISCUSSION] Space Opera Talk

Post by LazyCanuck » Fri May 29, 2009 4:05 pm

i'm still waiting for the anime adaption
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Fri May 29, 2009 11:33 pm

I won't mind anyone else writing stuff.

Some character I still don't have much use for because I don't know them well enough...or they aren't winning enough to warrent using their known characteristics.

Other times things slip by because I wasn't thinking about it.

I'm sure a few of these matches could be remade as epic fights, but I tend to limit them to single paragraphs or even small sentances due to the need to get in all 32 matches in some way.
Space Opera
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:20 am

Taking naming suggestions for groups and characters.

I've started a list for the Factions of the Third Great War, even though there are only 16 know at this time. This makes it easier to add in the remaining 34 in a months time.

I've decided (sort of randomly) that GONZO is just GONZO (or perhaps G.O.N.Z.O., which has some sort of meaning) and that Saki is the "League of Extraordinary Gamers", with the girls having something like a superhero name, though I'm not completely sold on the idea yet. (considering so far it is "The Chest" and "The Eye" so far). Studio DEEN is geting a faction status this year that I picked up from last year's April Fool's day match writeup...the DEEN Directorate.

I've not come up with titles for Yui and Azusa (or Ui) yet, though I have tenative ones for Mugi, Ritsu, and Mio as seem in the first Round story.

I'm thinking of keeping the A Certain Magical Index and Railgun under the single Techno-Magi nation, though perhaps two factions of the same nation, though now Index has appeared in Railgun. I'll let the map maker decide on that one since I don't know how to call it.

I'll probably have to make up more stuff later tomorrow for the remaining five groups, depending on the results.
Space Opera
melange
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:
Worships: Iwakura Lain
Wish: White Queen & Black Queen

Post by melange » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:40 am

They'll be all grouped under the Railgun flag for now, since I don't want to have to pick another 'red' hue. "Techno-Magi" can remain as the space opera title.

Gonzo may not need a faction title unless Rosario + Vampire can make it in. I think its not necessary to have to induce headaches to come up with studio factions until they squeeze in more than a single series into the main round. Deen and Shaft are fine as they both previously had 2-3 series in ISML (Shaft had 3 in 2008).

As for Deen, if it wasn't for Seitokai you could take it in a more magic/mystic angle as everyone else (Higurashi, F/SN, Umineko and Jigoku Shoujo) all have the supernatural involved. Seitokai is the only odd one out ._. .
The Dancing Doll of the Infirmary - Higanbana
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:52 am

Technically GONZO does have another series in this...if she gets in....Full Metal Panic is a halfway between GONZO and KyoAni. If neither Tessa nor Rosario + Vampire get in I suppose GONZO can either be dropped, or Saki can just be considered GONZO by itself (Where did the Strike Witches go anyway?)

DEEN can still be magical, just with the Seitokai Student Body as the governmental structure over them (given the Directorate a President should said character get into the contest). Thus the cults, kingdoms, and witches (and demon?) can be "controlled" rather than running their own agenda as they have in the past two wars (Fate Stay/Night and Higurashi haven't been allied up to this point...Higurashi was even saiding with the KyoAni from time to time). If she gets in Shiki can be an allied assassin for the DEEN via the Type-Moon connection.
Space Opera
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Post by chaosprophet » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:05 am

That way DEEN can be seen as having the same governament system than J.C, a Seitokaism, diferent from Haruhi's (Haruhism!! XD) empire.
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:33 pm

League of Extraordinary Gamers is pretty awesome (and hilarious) to me. It does make sense given all of the unique traits or abilities each charater in Saki seems to have.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]
Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
2017 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki

Post by Toady » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:59 pm

I also like very much the name of the Saki characters... I'm sure you can find a name for each of them ("The Ears" for Koromo maybe). I'm not sure if it's possible to find a body part for each though.
Much stuff (but Chibaka has more)Show
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi
My Secret Santa is awesome :3

Hikarin <3
Thank you Secret Santa 2016 :3
melange
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:

Post by melange » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:07 pm

ithekro wrote:DEEN can still be magical, just with the Seitokai Student Body as the governmental structure over them (given the Directorate a President should said character get into the contest). Thus the cults, kingdoms, and witches (and demon?) can be "controlled" rather than running their own agenda as they have in the past two wars (Fate Stay/Night and Higurashi haven't been allied up to this point...Higurashi was even saiding with the KyoAni from time to time). If she gets in Shiki can be an allied assassin for the DEEN via the Type-Moon connection.
Sounds to me that Deen as a faction won't be having a lot of cohesion as compared to JCS and the Empire. Perhaps Higurashi and Umineko will have closer links but as had been presented in space opera up to now Higurashi and FSN have been rather antagonistic to each other. That probably won't change even with a new 'controlling' group, especially if the basis of that group is of a fundamentally different nature (non-supernatural) compared to groups it is ostensibly controlling... especially with a president like Kurimu at the helm. ^^;

You could have Seitokai being an overseer group sent by the old Deen Directorate to reforge their erstwhile descendant entities back together, which is resisted/resented by those same entities. Kinda like... using a Starcraft reference.. if the Xel'naga came back and tried to force the Protoss and the Zerg to work together ^^;
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Toady wrote:I also like very much the name of the Saki characters... I'm sure you can find a name for each of them ("The Ears" for Koromo maybe). I'm not sure if it's possible to find a body part for each though.
I haven't watched the Extraordinary Gentlement movie, but our Saki girls don't necessarily have to be named after just body parts I suppose.

Koromo - The Lunar / The Tsunami (or however you want to do that 'tidal wave' thing she does in the show)
Kana - The Ears / The Feline
Yuuki - The Fang / The Taco / The East (she's strongest in East Wind, I think)
Saki - The Draw / The Zero / The Nopan
Hisa - The Wait (since she likes waits on bad odds) / The Chief
Momoko - The Mist / The Fog
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
melange
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:

Post by melange » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:12 pm

Crisu wrote:Koromo - The Lunar / The Tsunami (or however you want to do that 'tidal wave' thing she does in the show)
Kana - The Ears / The Feline
Yuuki - The Fang / The Taco / The East (she's strongest in East Wind, I think)
Saki - The Draw / The Zero / The Nopan
Hisa - The Wait (since she likes waits on bad odds) / The Chief
Momoko - The Mist / The Fog
The East... u could go with 東方不敗 "The East is Undefeated" - Gundam G reference and chinese wuxia novels reference (which is probably where the Gundam one came from)
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Post by akumaxx » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Mihoko = Cyclops
Nodoka = Strawberry Milk
--quoted from some pics in Saimoe(written in English)
Maybe...
Koromo - Scoop the one
Kana - 5th tile(since she often gets good hand but cannot win, and she passed)
Yuuki - Empress of the east(also quoted from those pics)
Saki - Bare-footed
Hisa - Trap house
Momoko - Juicy blank
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow
MindSaber
Chuunibyou
Chuunibyou
Worships: Pettanko!!!
Wish: DFC !!!!!

Post by MindSaber » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:57 pm

Crisu wrote:League of Extraordinary Gamers is pretty awesome (and hilarious) to me. It does make sense given all of the unique traits or abilities each charater in Saki seems to have.
League of Extraordinary Mahjong-players...

fix'd for greater good:)
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:08 pm

Perhaps, but there is a certain amount of humor in this as well.

Trying to imagine what would have happened if the Strike Witches were in this as well. Probably just been a full on moe-litary unit with either squadron designations or callsigns.

As it is, the final (so to speak) versions of the groups and characters likely won't take shape until the tournament itself begins, as those will be the 50 that need it. Even then it might change depending on the ideas going around, much like how the ARIA characters changed during the contest last year from worlds to cruise liners.
Space Opera
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Depending on results, I'm thinking of adding Code Geass to the Alliance side with the J.C. Staff, Nanoha, any Kugimiya Knights, and maybe Saruka/Clamp groups. C.C. would be partly Clamp designed, but also brought over for the promise of Pizza Hutt from the Techno-Magi (prominate in Railgun and Index). With her Emperor gone, all she has left is Cheese-kun.
Space Opera
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:15 pm

Oh goodness the Pizza Hut thing. x.x Yeah if only for that reason, Geass should go with Railgun and Nanoha.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Kiopi
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Worships: Mari Illustrious Makinami

Post by Kiopi » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:11 am

melange wrote:
ithekro wrote:DEEN can still be magical, just with the Seitokai Student Body as the governmental structure over them (given the Directorate a President should said character get into the contest). Thus the cults, kingdoms, and witches (and demon?) can be "controlled" rather than running their own agenda as they have in the past two wars (Fate Stay/Night and Higurashi haven't been allied up to this point...Higurashi was even saiding with the KyoAni from time to time). If she gets in Shiki can be an allied assassin for the DEEN via the Type-Moon connection.
Sounds to me that Deen as a faction won't be having a lot of cohesion as compared to JCS and the Empire. Perhaps Higurashi and Umineko will have closer links but as had been presented in space opera up to now Higurashi and FSN have been rather antagonistic to each other. That probably won't change even with a new 'controlling' group, especially if the basis of that group is of a fundamentally different nature (non-supernatural) compared to groups it is ostensibly controlling... especially with a president like Kurimu at the helm. ^^;

You could have Seitokai being an overseer group sent by the old Deen Directorate to reforge their erstwhile descendant entities back together, which is resisted/resented by those same entities. Kinda like... using a Starcraft reference.. if the Xel'naga came back and tried to force the Protoss and the Zerg to work together ^^;
You could think of the various series under the DEEN Directorate as playing various roles (i.e. economics, defense, espionage, administration, etc). It is normal for different agencies with overlapping roles to try to one-up the other.

DEEN Directorate
  • Seitokai Administrative Bureau (Seitokai Brain Trust?)- Brains of the Directorate. Finally stepping out from the shadows to take a more active charge by revamping and reorganizing all its entities into a cohesive bureaucracy, thus ending any inconsistencies against past stories.
  • Hell's Justice(Jigoku Shoujo) - Justice Department that judges and executes prisoners of war and also rebellious elements within the Directorate. Something similar to Judge Dredd style modus operandi Answers to and takes instructions only from the Seitokai Administrative Bureau/Brain Trust.
  • Higurashi Intelligence Agency (modeled after CIA)
  • Umineko Bureau of Investigation (modeled after FBI)
  • Kingdom of Night (FSN) - a clan/kingdom loyal to the directorate that runs defense/offense/covert operations for the Directorate
Last edited by Kiopi on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supporting:
  • Bakemonogatari: Oshino Shinobu ♦ Sengoku Nadeko ♦ Senjōgahara Hitagi
  • K-On!: Akiyama Mio ♦ Nakano Azusa ♦ Hirasawa Yui
  • Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai: Kashiwazaki Sena
  • Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?: Eucliwood Hellscythe
  • Haiyore! Nyaruko-san: Nyarlathotep
  • Kyōkai no Kanata: Kuriyama Mirai
  • Hyōka: Chitanda Eru
  • Mondaiji: Kurousagi
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:54 am

Possible, though Higurashi has some definate history in ISML that might need addressing.
Space Opera
melange
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:

Post by melange » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:18 am

Not sold on the FBI/CIA etc one. That'll mean practically a ret-coning of Higurashi and FSN, plus the only tenuous link Higurashi and Umineko have to "investigation/intelligence gathering" is the fact that the characters/readers have to 'figure out whats really going on'. And by doing it that way you kinda have to deny/downplay the rich magical/mystical elements that they come ready made with. Umineko could very well use an in-series element, the Mariage Sorcière or the Alliance of Witches, as its binding element.

C.C. being linked more 'officially' to Clamp Cluster is justified. I had mentioned before to Crisu that thru some twist of fate the color scheme I picked waaaayy back when matches up too as CG, CCS and Chobits are all shades of green.

Joining the Clamp series to the Alliance I'm a bit iffy about. I feel it'll be less dynamic if there're just a few 'sides' left because everyone has been coalesced into one or the other. You don't want to end up with too many matches you have to describe as 'training missions' because they've all been lumped into the same side.