The Fear of the Lord is the Beginning of Wisdom (CD 1440)

Seitokai activities will be reported here, except for very important or period-specific announcements. Feel free to comment on what the student council has to offer.
ISML Seitokai
Seitokai
Seitokai
Melon Pan: 50

The Fear of the Lord is the Beginning of Wisdom (CD 1440)

Post by ISML Seitokai » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:11 am

Brace yourselves, mortals. We shall descend unto Earth again.

NOTE: This directive might be out-of-character for some characters mentioned in the directive.

Council Directive 1440

Proposal: ISML 2015 Tournament of Champions seeding match shall be held in Emerald Necklace Round. CD 1435 shall be repealed. This is a Judicial Order.
Proposed by: Katsura Hinagiku
Consent: None
Dissent: None
Abstain: Fate Testarossa, Lelouch Lamperouge, Kinoshita Hideyoshi, Ichinose Kotomi, Sebastian Michaelis, Izumi Konata

Comments:

Fate: I'm still bored.

Hideyoshi: What, even after we played two games in a row, and you guys making pranks on me by making me wear wedding dresses and swimsuits? Geez, you're even more troublesome to deal with than Akihisa.

Fate: That's exactly why I'm bored. We were only playing games and making pranks. Is there anything else we could do?

*silence*

Fate: No answer from you guys? Well then, Kotomi!

Kotomi: Yes?

Fate: Give me the collection of the Council Bills and Directives from this year's Seitokais.

Kotomi: Let me find them... Right, there you go.

*Kotomi passes a large bundle to Fate*

Fate: Alright, let's have a look... Oh wait what, Hinagiku rejected the idea of allowing Ruri and Mikoto into Emerald Period? Did she lose her senses? She can't even realize how much fun it is?

Lelouch: Speaking of such, I think we are supposed to pop up in a fight for the Diamond Crown in Topaz, right Hideyoshi?

Hideyoshi: Uh... Yeah, even though I don't know why I'm removed from the tournament at all. I only won the Lapis Scepter from a trap tournament, but a kitty named Tsumiki decided that I am equal to you guys.

Fate: Wait what? You guys get to play while I don't? Is the ISML staff discriminating us females?

Konata: Eh... I think some ISML staff members are female, like Hikari-chan or Momo.

Fate: I don't care! They need to give us a proper standing! I shall find Hinagiku!

*In the magistrate room*

Hinagiku: Ah, I'm bored. The writers have been so lazy that I don't have to do anything. What a waste of time.

*Fate rushes into the room*

Fate: *Shouts* HINAGIKU!

Hinagiku: Eh, yes, Emerald Seitokai President and first ISML Heavenly Tiara winner?

Fate: Duel with me!

Hinagiku: Sure.

Fate: With Kanade and Mikoto and Ruri and Mio and Kotori as well! And in Emerald before I step down as President!

Hinagiku: Eh... Say Kanade, didn't we scrap CD 1434 by Judicial Order?

Kanade: ... Yes.

Fate: Just scrap that Judicial Order as well! Don't you like fighting, Hinagiku? I know you like it!

Hinagiku: We do have a Tournament of Champions already though after Postseason. I don't see the necessity for a match immediately.

Fate: Don't you have to seed everybody?

Hinagiku: Yeah, then?

Fate: maglor has been perplexed on how to seed us, so why don't we have a match to decide it?

Hinagiku: Well...

Fate: Are you fearing that you will lose, Hinagiku?

Hinagiku: *angry* OF COURSE NOT! LET'S DO THIS!

_____
Katsura Hinagiku
Magistrate
ISML Seitokai
stealing maglor's lollipops ice creams since 2009
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isshiki Iroha
Melon Pan: 0
2018 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
2017 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2017 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Re: The Fear of the Lord is the Beginning of Wisdom (CD 1440

Post by smartboyhw » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:14 am

So blame Fate for everything today.
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
Worships: God, the real one
2017 Female Favorite: Shiodome Miuna
Wish: Murphy's Law not to be always true

Post by blaZofgold » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:46 am

What the hell is with the OP title...Proverbs?
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isshiki Iroha
2018 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
2017 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2017 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Post by smartboyhw » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:26 am

blaZofgold wrote:What the hell is with the OP title...Proverbs?
Yes.
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!
Just
[Kiwi's Melon]
[Kiwi's Melon]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
2017 Male Favorite: Hikigaya Hachiman
Wish: May children never suffer.

Post by Just » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:36 am

*facepalms*
I knew CD 1435 should have never been passed… QUQ
SpoilerShow
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:35 pm

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.
Literally translate as: you must fear the lord first before learning anything.
Question: why?
#Agnostic #Atheist #orWhateverComesClose
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Momo
State alchemist
State alchemist
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Akemi Homura
Melon Pan: 132
Wish: Yotsuba-chan♥

Post by Momo » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Reverend wrote:
^Rather than learning, I think the actual meaning is more along the lines of "true wisdom first comes from honouring God." Viz, "true wisdom first comes from realizing that you don't know everything (but God does)" and thereafter responding in submission to that.
#muhtheology #butthisisisml #notreligiousdebatecentral #isGodmoe #noblasphemy

Revenge Time~
Kudos to my amazing Secret Santa ♥
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: Erika Sendou
Melon Pan: 181
Wish: a kookie?

Post by kanohistorm » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:48 pm

*grabs popcorn*

two showdowns at once, this will be good
spoiler alert :3
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
Worships: God, the real one
Wish: Murphy's Law not to be always true

Post by blaZofgold » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:30 pm

Momo wrote:#isGodmoe #noblasphemy
God is like, definitely moe. I'm sure of it. #noblasphemyeither #onlylove4God #thoIdunthinkitsa2Dmoe
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Momo wrote:
Reverend wrote:
^Rather than learning, I think the actual meaning is more along the lines of "true wisdom first comes from honouring God." Viz, "true wisdom first comes from realizing that you don't know everything (but God does)" and thereafter responding in submission to that.
#muhtheology #butthisisisml #notreligiousdebatecentral
Actually, I see that as a positive meaning that comes from a positive way to see things instead of theological meaning.
Won't go down there since perception is something so... subjective (means everyone has their right to choose whether one thing is right/wrong to them, etc etc etc.)

But when I said that, I have no intention of taking this into word-by-word, meaning-by-meaning "theology debate."
I just wish to entice people of to ask "why?", since there's no way god said that simply because it's his/her catchphrase.
Isn't "to understand God" something a good religious man/woman should do? Even if god him/herself never ask for it...
(Except for people who think religion is about absolute obedience instead of love; to obey god out of pure fear instead of love (which has fear, respect, care, affection, and all of those things that would take its own thesis if they are all mentioned.))
and yeah, I'm a bit under the desk when I posted that, maybe that's where the hashtag came from.
Momo wrote:#isGodmoe
To me, she is :P #Haruhism
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Veon
Salamander
Salamander
Badges:
Melon Pan: 105
2018 Female Favorite: Tōsaka Rin
2017 Female Favorite: Tōsaka Rin
Wish: Contract?

Post by Veon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:49 am

smartboyhw wrote:So blame Fate for everything today.
#FireFate
Just
[Kiwi's Melon]
[Kiwi's Melon]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage

Post by Just » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:03 am

Veon wrote:
#FireFate
No, I would not allow it :<
SpoilerShow
Veon
Salamander
Salamander
Badges:
Melon Pan: 105
2018 Female Favorite: Tōsaka Rin
2017 Female Favorite: Tōsaka Rin
Wish: Contract?

Post by Veon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:32 am

Just wrote:
Veon wrote:
#FireFate
#FireSmartboyInstead?
Just
[Kiwi's Melon]
[Kiwi's Melon]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage

Post by Just » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:18 am

Veon wrote:
Just wrote:
Veon wrote:
#FireFate
#FireSmartboyInstead?
Approved.
SpoilerShow
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Who decided to bring theology into ISML?
Momo
State alchemist
State alchemist
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Akemi Homura
Melon Pan: 132
Wish: Yotsuba-chan♥

Post by Momo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:28 am

Reverend wrote:Actually, I see that as a positive meaning that comes from a positive way to see things instead of theological meaning.
It's not like I have a Masters of Theology or anything craze, but I'm pretty sure that what I said is the theological meaning, not just a 'nice way of looking at it'. ('Theological meaning' being what is most likely the original intention -- as opposed to presenting a personal opinion on any phrase/passage). If anything, your 'literal translation' actually looks at it in a negative light by misinterpreting it.. so that's more in line with what you outlined as perception. I mean, for starters, wisdom and knowledge (ie. learning things) are two completely different things, so you can't equate them. Knowledge = simply knowing stuff; wisdom = sound judgement, so things like making good decisions, applying knowledge, understanding people/circumstances etc. So even from the get go it's not like the proverb is "thou shalt not touch a book without first fearing God".
Reverend wrote:I just wish to entice people of to ask "why?", since there's no way god said that simply because it's his/her catchphrase.
Why he said it? I imagine probably because it's true? It's actually pretty logical even from a secular perspective:
>fearing God means acknowledging that God is bigger than you, is more powerful than you, knows more than you etc.
>even if you don't accept the single entity God, if you don't accept the fact that there is much beyond what you yourself know already, then you sure as heck aren't going to become wise any time soon.
>so in order to achieve true wisdom, you first have to submit that you don't know everything.

From a Christian perspective, it would be hinged on the fact that God is the source of all wisdom and the idea that without submitting all decisions to God, you operate based on your faulty/limited human understanding. But when you fear him/honour him/submit to him/worship him etc, then the decisions you make don't revolve around you, your decisions are elevated to this level where you are accountable to him and God is the motivating drive behind the things you do. And something along the lines of God works for the good of those who love him.

I don't really get the relevance of your point re:understanding God. Though I'm pretty sure you have to endeavor to understand God in order to actually believe in him.
Reverend wrote:
But Haruhi isn't moe--/shot

Revenge Time~
Kudos to my amazing Secret Santa ♥
Hikari-chan
Kholdy's Master
Kholdy's Master
Badges:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Worships: rider ♥ sinon ♥
Melon Pan: 110
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Kageyama Shigeo
2018 Female Favorite: Asada Shino
2018 Male Favorite: Levi
2017 Female Favorite: Furukawa Nagisa
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
Wish: being able to make everyone around me happier in some way

Post by Hikari-chan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:10 pm

holy moly we got real religious up in here

momo is my one true god(dess)!!
thank you so much to my wonderful santa!
mal | twitter
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:03 pm

Wait... we're still continuing this? 0 0
Momo wrote:
Reverend wrote:Actually, I see that as a positive meaning that comes from a positive way to see things instead of theological meaning.
It's not like I have a Masters of Theology or anything craze, but I'm pretty sure that what I said is the theological meaning, not just a 'nice way of looking at it'. ('Theological meaning' being what is most likely the original intention -- as opposed to presenting a personal opinion on any phrase/passage). If anything, your 'literal translation' actually looks at it in a negative light by misinterpreting it.. so that's more in line with what you outlined as perception. I mean, for starters, wisdom and knowledge (ie. learning things) are two completely different things, so you can't equate them. Knowledge = simply knowing stuff; wisdom = sound judgement, so things like making good decisions, applying knowledge, understanding people/circumstances etc. So even from the get go it's not like the proverb is "thou shalt not touch a book without first fearing God".
Yeah, that's why I said it - I see that as more of a nice way of looking things.
And btw, I never say wisdom = knowledge. Two different things, that 2.
"Knowledge" is a noun that comes from the word "know" - a verb.
"Wisdom" is a noun that comes from the word "wise" - an adjective.
Lots of people equate the two, since the state of being "wise" is often seen as a state where one has garnered a lot of "knowledge", but I am not (longer) one of them. (and I think you are not, too, so let's leave this part here.)

And also, this might sound a little agnostic (though for me it sounds realistic.)
But humans make theology, not god. Humans said or wrote what they think is the meaning of god's word. Everything was a (collective) personal opinion of the writer(s) and the decision-maker(s).
(God will explain if he thinks he needs to explain. If he doesn't, means he leaves it to us to translate. Freedom of choice, pretty fair, isn't it? ;) )

Momo wrote:
Reverend wrote:I just wish to entice people of to ask "why?", since there's no way god said that simply because it's his/her catchphrase.
Why he said it? I imagine probably because it's true? It's actually pretty logical even from a secular perspective:
>fearing God means acknowledging that God is bigger than you, is more powerful than you, knows more than you etc.
>even if you don't accept the single entity God, if you don't accept the fact that there is much beyond what you yourself know already, then you sure as heck aren't going to become wise any time soon.
>so in order to achieve true wisdom, you first have to submit that you don't know everything.

From a Christian perspective, it would be hinged on the fact that God is the source of all wisdom and the idea that without submitting all decisions to God, you operate based on your faulty/limited human understanding. But when you fear him/honour him/submit to him/worship him etc, then the decisions you make don't revolve around you, your decisions are elevated to this level where you are accountable to him and God is the motivating drive behind the things you do. And something along the lines of God works for the good of those who love him.
All I can say is, at the least, you are a good Christian. :P
It's true when you are a good Christian. (To believe is to accept one statement and hold it tight inside and deny any other statement that can be seen as a denial of the first statement.)
(I can question statement 1 and the denial of statement 2 and take this to: "Why God?" but then this argument would turn religious, and then we'll never agree on a point thanks to differences in faith. Plus, I never intended for this to turn religious ; P.)

The "trigger question" I said came after that positive point of view. (Hey, I was a good Christian, too. And there were times when I think just like you.)
The answer I got came up when I studied it again after I lost believe. (There are things you could only see after you lost things. That's how I see my fall now. Ecclesiastes 1:18.)
But I never regretted that I tried to learn his intention. And I think even a good Christian every human should do so.
Momo wrote:
Reverend wrote:
But Haruhi isn't moe--/shot
*stabs Momo*

a little ps, out-of-contextShow
Momo wrote:I don't really get the relevance of your point re:understanding God. Though I'm pretty sure you have to endeavor to understand God in order to actually believe in him.
Nah, you don't really need to understand someone to believe in him/her. "Understanding" is what you need when you want to "trust" someone, but "believe" has no need of an "understanding". "Believe" is something you do to someone you "love". And bla bla bla...
mazza411
Imouto
Imouto
Wish: for Touhou to become eligible in ISML

Post by mazza411 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:46 pm

With 623 votes... does this count as Fate going out with a bang?
Hikari-chan wrote:holy moly we got real religious up in here

momo is my one true god(dess)!!
so #ismomomoe? =P

I have to say, I did not expect a religious debate in isml =P
Reverend wrote:
Momo wrote:
All I can say is, at the least, you are a good Christian. :P
It's true when you are a good Christian. (To believe is to accept one statement and hold it tight inside and deny any other statement that can be seen as a denial of the first statement.)
(I can question statement 1 and the denial of statement 2 and take this to: "Why God?" but then this argument would turn religious, and then we'll never agree on a point thanks to differences in faith. Plus, I never intended for this to turn religious ; P.)
Secular masterrace reporting in. I don't buy the Lord part but I do understand and would agree to the logic Momo is talking about.
Obviously I'm at statement 2, not believing in a Lord makes it hard to fear him, but it's true that you can't be wise without realizing someone is going to be better than you.
(and isn't enticing people to ask 'why?' the definition of intending to turn religious?)
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つPRAISE HELIX༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:05 pm

mazza411 wrote: (and isn't enticing people to ask 'why?' the definition of intending to turn religious?)
Depends on what comes after 'why' :P