2018 Video Game character tournament Discussion

Discussions about the exhibition period, including the seasonal tournament, goes here.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

2018 Video Game character tournament Discussion

Post by maglor » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Nominations will start at September 18th, 15:00 GMT, and will last one week.. (If you have already nominated before (when the page was functional for a while), you do not need to nominate again.

1. Format

Nomination : 16 are chosen
Prelim : 8 are chosen
Single elimination tournament.

2. Instructions

1. Nominate female characters in video games developed by Japanese companies (at the time of development).
2. Series must not be a visual novel (as defined by vndb) or Touhou Project, and must have a version playable by people under the age of 18.
3. Characters who have significant appearance in any full length Japanese TVA are ineligible.
4. Characters from series which are originally full length Japanese TVA, or whose series have full length Japanese TVA adaptations are ineligible.
5. Voters may nominate at least three (3) and at most seven (7) characters that do meets the above eligibility guideline
6. At most two (2) characters from any given series or franchise may be nominated on the ballot. No character may be nominated more than once on the ballot.
7. All nominations have equal weight.
8. There is no ranking of nominations.
9. Invalid nominations on a ballot will be discarded individually and will not void the ballot unless any discard results in that ballot having less than three (3) eligible characters, in which case that ballot will be voided.
10. The Staff reserves the right to deem any character ineligible for the Pet Exhibition Tournament.

:onion2_140:

----------------------------

4. To be used as needed

on what counts as a series for the video game exhibition: there isn't a hard and fast rule for it, but basically they are considered to be in the same series if there are signficiant character and worldview overlap(edited)
so Fate Grand Order is under fate series (and thus not eligible even for characters who never showed up in anime)
Tales series games and and Final Fantasy series games are mostly distinct
also yes Estelle isn't eligible; blame falcom
however, the worldview between falcom gakuen and the actual trails games are so different that they are not considered to be from the same series, so characters who did not show up over there are all eligible
basically like Schera or any cold steel characters are all eligibleRIP The existence of a second season makes the main girls of Trails of Cold Steel are also out. You can totally nominate Towa though!

Please ask questions

:Eru:
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Re: 2018 Video Game character tournament Discussion

Post by maglor » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:47 pm

More Details

:onion2_102:

(1) Nomination : September 17th to 24th

(2) Sapphire Necklace October 2nd : STV to select the 8 from 16. It will also be used for seeding

(3) Emerald 1 and 2, October 9th and 11th : Quarterfinals

(4) Emerald 3, October 14th : Semifinal

(5) Emerald 4, October 16th : Final

:Chiyo:
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:06 pm

-characters who have appeared in any full length TVA are ineligible.

so, Samurai Warrior is not eligible, but are Sangokushi characters eligible?
Bcs... you know, we have a ton of anime about Sangokushi. But we never really have Dynasty Warrior anime.

Also will chara from games with previously no aired anime series/movie adaptation of that franchise at all, but it has now been announced that they are going to have upcoming anime, eligible?
Example Merc Storia and Grimms' Notes.

Also fck this STV thing RIP my superior fav charas from obviously superior games. max amount of nomination per vote?

Thanks.

ps.: Also please do make clear that games with main rightholder companies that are based in China/Korea/wherever that isn't Japan with anime-styled art are not eligible. Thanks.
So, like, KH, imo, should be a big no. We don't want fcking Disney here.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 0
Wish: Miracles

Post by RegalStar » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:22 pm

There is a three kingdoms TVA that covered pretty much all of the (very few in number) significant female characters, so even if I consider the various games to be separate, the characters would still not be ineligible. (You can argue Koihime Musou characters to be complete separate despite sharing names, but that series is ineligible on its own anyways.)

And KH is eligible.
RichardJoash
~Eye of Twilight~
~Eye of Twilight~
Badges:
Worships: Yaya, Asseylum, Hestia, Nao, Rory, Albedo and Stella Vermillion
Melon Pan: 45
2017 Female Favorite: Stella Vermillion
2017 Male Favorite: Kurogane Ikki
Wish: To let Subaru fans, Corvette and Camaro fans and Can-Am Spyder fans support Yaya to win the Heavenly Tiara and get those Turkeys off the Thanksgiving Menu

Post by RichardJoash » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:41 pm

I know that in the previous saimoe through the years there are characters from Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, the Xeno series and the Tales Of series. I did not notice there is a tournament meant for video game characters.
Kono Hoshi o Nameru na yo! Image Sankyuu, Hikarin!
liuxinyu970226
Hunter
Hunter
Badges:
Worships: Ohara Rinne
Melon Pan: 50
2018 Female Favorite: Izumi Sagiri
2018 Male Favorite: Itsuka Shidō
2017 Female Favorite: Katō Megumi
2017 Male Favorite: Katsuki Yūri

Post by liuxinyu970226 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:58 am

Someone on Sina Weibo contested this with their post, that by this way, any characters that are only shown in the Movies and OVAs are OK?

So in theory all girls of Super Mario series are eligible?!

PS: I also have doubt about "Japanese-created video games", which one or more is/are excluded by that?
* Based on US TV shows, but have Japanese version, e.g. WWE 2K11(12、13、…、18)
* Created by overseas Japanese developer groups, but under foreign companies (not sure if having example ornot)
* Created by foreign developers, that has Japanese version and under Japanese companies (e.g. BFB champions)
I love DC
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
2017 Female Favorite: Megumin
2017 Male Favorite: Zen Wistalia
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:06 am

I guess that means things like Pokemon, Megaman, Street Fighter, etc., are all ineligible. Actually... I think a lot of the more mainstream video games had a TV or Animation series of some sort, perhaps during the 90's and early 00's, such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Legend of Zelda, Darkstalkers... unless American Animation doesn't count?
liuxinyu970226
Hunter
Hunter
Badges:
Worships: Ohara Rinne
2018 Female Favorite: Izumi Sagiri
2018 Male Favorite: Itsuka Shidō
2017 Female Favorite: Katō Megumi
2017 Male Favorite: Katsuki Yūri

Post by liuxinyu970226 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:46 am

@Momento10 Really? Super Mario does also have animated?
I love DC
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RegalStar » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:58 pm

liuxinyu970226 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:58 am
Someone on Sina Weibo contested this with their post, that by this way, any characters that are only shown in the Movies and OVAs are OK?

So in theory all girls of Super Mario series are eligible?!

PS: I also have doubt about "Japanese-created video games", which one or more is/are excluded by that?
* Created by overseas Japanese developer groups, but under foreign companies (not sure if having example ornot)
* Created by foreign developers, that has Japanese version and under Japanese companies (e.g. BFB champions)
Movies and OVAs are OK, yes.

Japanese created video games mean games that are created by Japan based companies. Outside of excluding obvious non-anime-ish games, the only real casualties are things like Azur Lane and Girls' Frontline (which are Chinese created games in Japanese style).
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
2017 Female Favorite: Megumin
2017 Male Favorite: Zen Wistalia
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:37 pm

@liuxinyu970226: According to Wikipedia, Super Mario Bros. has an animated series from a US Studio that lasted 3 years starting in 1989. This is the same studio that made a Legend of Zelda animated series, also in 1989, but for one season (Fall 1989).

In theory, this should mean that both games (at least, the characters that appeared in the TV series), would be disqualified. In addition, I believe that a number of the more mainstream video games had an animated series of some sort during this time period. This leads me to fear that, if people did not dig through the internet enough when nominating, they might not realize that some of the more widespread game series had an animated series at some point in the past, leading to a large list of ineligible characters and a list of a mix of some mainstream, but mostly obscure series.

On the downside, this means I cannot nominate any of the more well known Ace Attorney characters, not that I expect them to make it far to begin with. Pheonix Wright didn't do so well the last few times he showed up in exhibition matches, regardless of which version of his name ISML chose to use.
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]
Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
2017 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki

Post by Toady » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:24 pm

But if Super Mario Bros. had indeed a cartoon, does it mean characters from other Mario spin-offs are also not eligible? Can I nominate Toadette from the Captain Toad series?

Final Fantasy VII has an anime movie, FFXV had an anime, but I can nominate girls from other FF titles then? Like Terra/Tina from VI or Rinoa from VIII.
Much stuff (but Chibaka has more)Show
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi
My Secret Santa is awesome :3

Hikarin <3
Thank you Secret Santa 2016 :3
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:06 pm

You know: we should just count non-Japanese registered studio-made cartoon separate from anime lol.
I mean: MAL probably lists those adaptations from old times bcs it ever aired on JP at one point in time. And wiki just copied from MAL lol.
Plus, imo people will want to nominate lots of characters from those franchise, anyway.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RegalStar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:27 pm

I'm fine with excluding non-Japanese cartoons as part of the definition, so Super Mario Bros is fine. As for Dynasty Warrior, Diao Chan and Sun Shangxiang are illegible because they have appeared in three kingdom anime adaptations already, while the rest should be eligible. Final Fantasy entries are all considered different series from each other due to completely different worldview; not that it matters in practice since they are all eligible (Advent Child is a film, while FFXV only have ONAs, both of which are not full TVA series).
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]
Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
2017 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki

Post by Toady » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:09 am

Some ideasShow
Lucina @ Fire Emblem: Awakening
Tiki @ Fire Emblem Series
Saria @ The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Terra Brandford @ Final Fantasy VI
Yuffie Kisaragi @ Final Fantasy VII
Rinoa Heartilly @ Final Fantasy VIII
Toadette @ Super Mario Series
Are non-human characters okay? Humanoid characters like Toadette? Animals like Amaterasu from Okami?
Much stuff (but Chibaka has more)Show
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi
My Secret Santa is awesome :3

Hikarin <3
Thank you Secret Santa 2016 :3
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 am

But Okami doesn't have humanoid form :(
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RegalStar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:35 am

Humanoids are fine. Animals are not.
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem
Worships: Moriya Suwako's hat
2018 Female Favorite: Yamada Elf
2018 Male Favorite: Willem Kmetsch
2017 Female Favorite: Darkness
2017 Male Favorite: Roy Mustang
Wish: A third season of Spice and Wolf.

Post by Kordosa » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:32 am

RegalStar wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:58 pm
liuxinyu970226 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:58 am
Japanese created video games mean games that are created by Japan based companies. Outside of excluding obvious non-anime-ish games, the only real casualties are things like Azur Lane and Girls' Frontline (which are Chinese created games in Japanese style).
To clarify on some of what liuxinyu970226 mentioned:

The WWE games are published by an American company, but are developed by Yuke's, a Japanese developer.

So the question is if only the developer has to be Japanese, or both the developer and the publisher. If it's the former, then theoretically, I could nominate Stacy Keibler. If it's the latter, then the WWE games would be ineligible, but a female character from Rumble Roses (developed by Yuke's, published by Konami) would be okay. And of course, this would affect others outside this example.

What determines if a company is "Japan-based"?

Nexon was founded in South Korea, but later moved its headquarters to Japan, so you could technically say they are based out of Japan. Would they still be counted as a Korean developer?* What about a developer founded in Japan which moved its headquarters to the United States (and not simply created an American branch or subsidiary). Does the nationality of the individual employees matter? While I would assume most developers founded in Japan would be homogeneously made up of Japanese individuals, we live in an increasingly globalized society, so I would not be surprised if there exists developers that include individuals from multiple backgrounds.

*I would consider Nexon as primarily a publisher than a developer, but I was initially pulling from this list. Although they have developed some games under their name or under separately named subsidiaries, they have also published games developed externally. (All this isn't really important though, as I was just using Nexon as an example.)
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
shiraoky wrote:I'm always squeeing lol.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RegalStar » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:12 pm

We'll go with at the time of development and ignore publisher altogether.
kurogaga
~Blood Hunter~
~Blood Hunter~
Badges:
Worships: Not just Kuro(ng)gaga.
2018 Male Favorite: Satomi Rentarō
2017 Female Favorite: Shiina Mashiro
2017 Male Favorite: Hikigaya Hachiman

Post by kurogaga » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Azur Lane is getting anime adaptations. So, are they (Azur Lane chara) still eligible or not?
Archived SigShow
Image Image
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by maglor » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:36 pm

kurogaga wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:15 pm
Azur Lane is getting anime adaptations. So, are they (Azur Lane chara) still eligible or not?
If the TVA has not aired, they could be still eligible but Azur Lane isnt japanese so it doesn't matter. Azur Lane girls are ineligible.