Best Moe Tournament 2011

Discuss other moe tournaments here.
Post Reply
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Posts: 8831
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2020 Female Favorite: Holo
2020 Male Favorite: Natsume Takashi
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by maglor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:54 pm

The 2011 Preliminary 1st round schedule is out in English so you can check them out yourselves.

http://moet.anizone.net/?Phase=CombatList&lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some English pages needs to be updated. Please feel free to point out problems or ways to improve . I will try to directly answer them here, as well as bring them to KBM ( short for Korea Best Moe tournament ) staff's attention.

Limited form of campaigning is permitted in this thread. Just don't overdo it. Do refrain from excessive negative campaigning.

You may also check out Best Moe's English Forum pages to campaign or post your suggestions.

http://anizone.net/Moet_Inter_Forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Posts: 8831
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2020 Female Favorite: Holo
2020 Male Favorite: Natsume Takashi
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by maglor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:43 pm

2011 Best Moe Tournament schedule

All times are in Korean Standard Time which is UTC + 9 hours.

2011 Best Moe Tournament Otaku's Division Schedule

07/30~08/10 Preliminary Round 1 Total 96 groups. 4 characters advance per group.Can vote up to 3 characters in each group.



08/13~08/20Preliminary Round 2Total 48 groups. 2 characters advance per group.



08/23~08/30Main Round - Round of 96Total 32 groups with 3 characters in each group. First place in each group advance.



09/02~09/10Main Round - Round of 32 1 vs 1 tournament



There is a three-day Korean Thanksgiving break from 09/11 ~ 09/13





09/14~09/21 Main Round - Round of 16 1 vs 1 tournament



09/24~09/27 Quarterfinals 1 vs 1 tournament



09/30, 09/31 Semifinals 1 vs 1 tournament



10/03~10/04 Final Final match deciding the champion of 2011 Best Moe Tournament Female Division.
Image
User avatar
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Posts: 6135
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 1:18 am
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2020 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2020 Male Favorite: Ishigami Yū
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
Wish: My definition of peace and tranquility.

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by Momento10 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Ah, so the time has come once more. That makes three things to look forward to over the later half of the year. I am very excited.
Image
User avatar
Yakuman
Berserker
Berserker
Posts: 1329
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:13 pm
Worships: Kurumi-sama *.*
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: more
Location: Budapest

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by Yakuman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:11 pm

Kyubey is not eligible after all?
Hurry up and make a contract with me! ◕‿‿◕ ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
defeated but not forgotten favoritesShow
ImageImageImage
Materials used in the sig are courtesy of Marinara, ppizzapie, Hikari-chan and Annabloem
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Posts: 8831
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2020 Female Favorite: Holo
2020 Male Favorite: Natsume Takashi
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by maglor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:22 pm

Yakuman wrote:Kyubey is not eligible after all?
Sadly, no. The KBM staff has decided to admit only those that can definitely be male, female, trap, or reverse-trap . The best guess for Kyubey's gender is Neutral, and Neutral/No Gender characters have been ruled ineligible. If you really want Kyubey, please post your argument here => http://www.anizone.net/Moet_Inter_Forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , or post them here ( this thread ), and I wil translate them and post them in Korean side of KBM forum.
RegalStar wrote:Err, is the nomination for male/female characters supposed to be together? Because I saw a decidedly male character (Motoki Kaizu) in the ranks, although I really can't tell otherwise because I recognize less than a tenth of all the characters there.


Due to repeated negative reaction towards Best Moe voters being 60% female until the Quarterfinal stage, the staff decided to change the eligibility criterion from being gender based to Series Orientation based. In return, the controversial 3 year limit has been removed. The Tournament has been named Otaku's division to highlight the fact that series that caters more towards male viewers will be the primary focus of the tournament. The former Male's division has been renamed to Otome's division in return.



The combined Eligibility rule.



1. Series that Staff has evidence of attracting mostly male voters while not attracting much female voters will have ALL, both male AND female characters appearing in the Otaku's division tournament.



2. Series that staff has seen evidence of attracting large number of male voters as well as large number of female voters will have its male characters participate in Otome's division and the female characters participate in Otaku's division.



3. Series that staff don't see large support from neither male voters nor female voters will have its male characters participate in Otome's division and the female characters participate in Otaku's division.



4. Series that Staff believes to likely attract much more female voters compared to male voters will have both its male and female characters participate in the Otome's division tournament.



5. There will be Super Moe Tournament where all series, both male and female characters are eligible. The discussion for the rules of 2011 Super Moe Tournament is scheduled to be held in September and October.





If you have suggestions or opinions towards 2011 Super Moe Tournament rules, please post them here and I will translate and post them in the Anizone's Korean Moe Tournament board for Korean people and staff to see and discuss.
Image
User avatar
Yakuman
Berserker
Berserker
Posts: 1329
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:13 pm
Worships: Kurumi-sama *.*
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: more
Location: Budapest

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by Yakuman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:40 pm

Oh, that's too bad :/ Well, I really want Kyubey but I can't really argue with the decision since there's no proof that Kyubey's gender is not neutral. Maybe requesting an exception to be made based on Kyubey's status as a unique character in anime history and relevant role in the story could be a valid arguement?
Hurry up and make a contract with me! ◕‿‿◕ ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
defeated but not forgotten favoritesShow
ImageImageImage
Materials used in the sig are courtesy of Marinara, ppizzapie, Hikari-chan and Annabloem
User avatar
Jack_Rav
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: For both Kanade and Yuki to win a necklace this year. Wish granted! <3
Location: Sussex, England

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by Jack_Rav » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:44 pm

^ That argument could be equally applied to every single character in anime history, since all characters are unique. ._.
Image
Reminder: Start of November = ARIA. Hahi~
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Posts: 8831
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2020 Female Favorite: Holo
2020 Male Favorite: Natsume Takashi
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by maglor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Yakuman wrote:Oh, that's too bad :/ Well, I really want Kyubey but I can't really argue with the decision since there's no proof that Kyubey's gender is not neutral. Maybe requesting an exception to be made based on Kyubey's status as a unique character in anime history and relevant role in the story could be a valid arguement?
Do, try. You might want to make a more general case of why you need to have gender neutral/undetermined characters in the tournament. You might have better luck arguing for Kyubey to be in the Otome division, instead of Otaku division, or be in the Super Moe Tournament, though.
Image
User avatar
shiraoky
Electromaster
Electromaster
Posts: 6105
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:17 am
Worships: the rwby ladies <3
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: more time to laze around and have fun!
Location: Candyland!
Contact:

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by shiraoky » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:22 pm

Oh cool. This will be fun
Image
Thanks to M-J for the beautiful sigs<3~!
User avatar
Sedon
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Posts: 2968
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:11 pm
Worships: C.C.
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Something amazing to happen...
Location: changing every second

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by Sedon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Only two days more! July 30, 2011 is the start of voting isn't it? I already have some who I want to vote.. :D

ImageImageImageImage
Credits to:
Energetic Hikari-chan for the slivers
MultiLing Keyboard Madness ⊇≪☜∵↖ⓢⓔⓓⓞⓝ↗∴☞≫⊆
Mayushii~ + Kuristina-HomuHomuShow
ImageImage
Thanks to Midnight-Jasper for Mayushii~ sig and awesome Momokutenshi for the Kuristina-HomuHomu sig~ <3
Lost but not forgotten~ Tu tu ruu~!
User avatar
Eclairs
Shinigami
Shinigami
Posts: 2453
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:59 am
Worships: Tamura Manami // Nagato Yuki // Aisaka Taiga
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: MUFC to win the treble of Premier League, FA cup and UEFA Champions league in the 2013/2014 season.
Location: Somewhere under the warm and fuzzy sun

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by Eclairs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:36 pm

I guess i'll lurk at the place too and decide on my ensuing course of action later.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Thanks a lot to Hikari-Chan , Midnight-Jasper and ppizzapie for the awesome signatures and slivers.
"Take caution thy children, for thou art guilty of sin if thou does not fappeth to the lolis!" Bob 23:29-192
User avatar
Yakuman
Berserker
Berserker
Posts: 1329
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:13 pm
Worships: Kurumi-sama *.*
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: more
Location: Budapest

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by Yakuman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:46 pm

@Jack - Having a unique name and apparance doesn't mean they are unique as characters. Would you call, let's say, Shinonono Houki unique when she belongs to the tsundere childhood friend archetype? She's a character with repetitive personality and background story. Or would you call Kanzaki H. Aria unique when she's a stuttering Kugyuu-voiced pettanko loli just like Taiga for example?

While mahou shoujo anime usually have talking animal sidekicks (or some sort of other entities), those things are harmless, benevolent creatures. Kyubey, however, has ulterior motives and can be percieved as a villain from the viewer's POV. Due to this trait, Kyubey is a standalone character and played a major role in revolting the mahou shoujo genre itself.

@maglor - My only argument would be the limited chance for these characters to appear in popularity contests like saimoe tournaments. Since the current setup of the KBM tournament is based on series and not genders like AST, ISML or Chinese saimoe, I don't see the reason to exclude neutral/undetermined characters. After all, gender is now not a deciding factor for eligibility, discriminating characters just because they have no gender is unfair in my opinion.
Hurry up and make a contract with me! ◕‿‿◕ ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
defeated but not forgotten favoritesShow
ImageImageImage
Materials used in the sig are courtesy of Marinara, ppizzapie, Hikari-chan and Annabloem
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Posts: 8831
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2020 Female Favorite: Holo
2020 Male Favorite: Natsume Takashi
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by maglor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Yakuman wrote:@Jack - Having a unique name and apparance doesn't mean they are unique as characters. Would you call, let's say, Shinonono Houki unique when she belongs to the tsundere childhood friend archetype? She's a character with repetitive personality and background story. Or would you call Kanzaki H. Aria unique when she's a stuttering Kugyuu-voiced pettanko loli just like Taiga for example?

While mahou shoujo anime usually have talking animal sidekicks (or some sort of other entities), those things are harmless, benevolent creatures. Kyubey, however, has ulterior motives and can be percieved as a villain from the viewer's POV. Due to this trait, Kyubey is a standalone character and played a major role in revolting the mahou shoujo genre itself.

@maglor - My only argument would be the limited chance for these characters to appear in popularity contests like saimoe tournaments. Since the current setup of the KBM tournament is based on series and not genders like AST, ISML or Chinese saimoe, I don't see the reason to exclude neutral/undetermined characters. After all, gender is now not a deciding factor for eligibility, discriminating characters just because they have no gender is unfair in my opinion.

Understood. I will bring this up in the KBM forum board. It is unlikely that NO-Gender character be allowed in the Otome or Otaku's division, but we might convince people to allow genderless character into Super Moe Tournament.
Image
User avatar
HeartClover
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Posts: 2997
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:57 pm
Worships: Audrey Hepburn
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: adventure
Location: the internet

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by HeartClover » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for this.

Go Victorique and Ika Musume~
Image
Thanks to my lovely Emjayfor the sig~
xcrossfacekillahx
Incubator
Incubator
Posts: 3613
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:42 am
Worships: Rosario Cross
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: A very good tournament and more cookies. Moehood to reign
Location: Planet Saimoe

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by xcrossfacekillahx » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:08 am

At least there's something to look forward to for now.
User avatar
Jack_Rav
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: For both Kanade and Yuki to win a necklace this year. Wish granted! <3
Location: Sussex, England

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by Jack_Rav » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:44 am

Yakuman wrote:@Jack - Having a unique name and apparance doesn't mean they are unique as characters. Would you call, let's say, Shinonono Houki unique when she belongs to the tsundere childhood friend archetype? She's a character with repetitive personality and background story. Or would you call Kanzaki H. Aria unique when she's a stuttering Kugyuu-voiced pettanko loli just like Taiga for example?

While mahou shoujo anime usually have talking animal sidekicks (or some sort of other entities), those things are harmless, benevolent creatures. Kyubey, however, has ulterior motives and can be percieved as a villain from the viewer's POV. Due to this trait, Kyubey is a standalone character and played a major role in revolting the mahou shoujo genre itself.
Sure, they may be what we could call 'cookie-cutter- characters, but that doesn't mean that they are unidentifiable compared to any other character. That would be how I saw the definition of 'uniqueness'. Kyubey may be 'more' unique than either of the 2 characters mentioned, but where would the argument stop? That would be my only concern as an organiser of the tournament, if participants were allowed entry based on such subjective reasoning... ._.
Image
Reminder: Start of November = ARIA. Hahi~
hinakatbklyn
Incubator
Incubator
Posts: 3720
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:07 pm
Melon Pan: 55

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by hinakatbklyn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Looks like I can only see one vote per group after my vote has been accepted (Must be the first one I choose each time). Only a few interesting groups though:

(1) Reina (Queen's blade), 2 others
(2) Sora Aoi (Aki Sora), 2 others
(3) Shizu Shidou (Maria Holic), Ku Fei (Negima) Moeka Kiryu (Steins Gate)
(4) Kirino (Oreimo), Victorique (GoSick), Kotori (Da Capo)
(5) Winry (FMA Brotherhood), Shellingford and Hercule (Milky Holmes)
(6) Kyouko (ToLoveRu), 2 others
(7) Lucy (Fairy Tail), 2 others
(8) Nana (ToLoveRu), Sherwood (Princess Ressurection), Setsuna (Negima)

Time to start K-Moe
User avatar
imbehindyou
Time traveler
Time traveler
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:33 am
Worships: Rena
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Becoming Pokemon Master.  Wishes for: Becoming teh Master Hater.  Wishes for: James' Victreebel & Mime Jr. Secret Identity: I am a robot. 
Location: behind you

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by imbehindyou » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:46 pm

hinakatbklyn wrote:Looks like I can only see one vote per group after my vote has been accepted (Must be the first one I choose each time). Only a few interesting groups though:
I went to the voting page after I voted and I could see all the characters I voted. Maybe that would work for you too... hopefully?
Image
User avatar
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Posts: 6135
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 1:18 am
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2020 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2020 Male Favorite: Ishigami Yū
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
Wish: My definition of peace and tranquility.

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by Momento10 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:54 pm

^I was about to report a similar situation as hinakatbrklyn, but imbehindyou is correct as to how i could see all of my cumulative votes.

In any case,
1. Chizuru Kawanami, Ariel
2. Subaru, Aoi Futaba
3. Carina Verritti, Mako Mizukoshi
4. Kirino Kousaka, Victorique de Blois, Kotori Shirakawa
5. Kotori Shirakawa, Ikaros
6. Hime Onizuka
7. Mei Hoshino, Miharu Shimizu
8. Kinako Mochizuki, Setsuna Sakurazaki
Last edited by Momento10 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Momo
State alchemist
State alchemist
Posts: 1958
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:58 pm
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Akemi Homura
Melon Pan: 132
Wish: Yotsuba-chan♥

Re: Best Moe Tournament 2011

Post by Momo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Once you've voted in all the groups, if you click any one of the names, they all appear

Revenge Time~
Kudos to my amazing Secret Santa ♥
Post Reply