Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 95
Wish: ISML still exists next year

Saimoe database general discussion

Post by Shmion84 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:13 am

While the topic ISML Saimoe Results Database informs about recent updates, this topic shall be the place to discuss the database in general.

For example:
* Review and criticism of the database.
* Any problems or errors.
* Which tables or fields should be added to database, which should be changed?
* Which saimoe (saigar) tournament should be added in the future?
* Which important sql queries are needed?
* Any thoughts about the user interface.

This topic isn't reserved to users with access to the database, everyone can discuss.
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Re: Saimoe database general discussion

Post by Shmion84 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:14 pm

OK, let's start this discussion with some thoughts about the covered tournaments.

Currently the database comprises data from following tournaments - active ones in bold text:
* ISML (updated each period; easy import thanks to match cards and recurring competitors)
* Anime Saimoe Tournament (retired tournament)
* Korean Best Moe (retired tournament)
* Animefans Saimoe (& Saigar) Tournament (Chinese)
* Great Awwnime Bracket (relatively easy import thanks to source code)
* Best Girl (& Guy) Contest (relatively easy import thanks to source code)

The following tournaments (all retired!) shall be included later:
* loli battle (all match data known)
* Korean Super Best Moe (match data for 2007 and 2008 known; source for 2010 needed)
* Korean Best Moe - Male Tournament (match data for 2011 - 2013 known, partially translated; source for 2007 - 2010 needed)

What about other tournaments?
* Senpuu Saimoe (& Saigar) is a relatively small tournament, but the results were archived well.
* same for Miss Anime Tournament and AnimeGirls Saimoe Tournament
* Baidu tournaments are much bigger, but the it's hard to find the results (and translate all names). Exception: Baidu Anime Saimoe Tournament is well documented since 2012.

So, any comments? Which tournaments should be covered?
Should we add links to other saimoe tournaments at the Community Portal? This might strengthen the cooperation and help smaller tournaments to find potential voters.
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:30 pm

I'm thinking about adding all tournaments covered in Saimoe Yearbook, at least the covered matches. This would effect following tournaments:

AnimeGirls Saimoe Tournament 2014 and 2015 (= all editions)
Baidu Anime Saimoe Tournament 2014 and 2015 (first edition 2010)
Baidu Harem Moe 2014 and 2015 (first edition 2008)
Baidu Nova 2014 (first edition 2012)
Bilibili Moe 2015 (= first edition)
Hongkong Golden Saimoe 2014 and 2015 (first edition 2013)
Miss Anime Tournament 2015 (first edition 2013)
Ore no Saimoe 2015 (= first edition)
Senpuu Saimoe Tournament 2014 and 2015 (first edition 2011)
Yamibo Yuri Saimoe 2014 and 2015 (first edition 2006)

Bilibili Moe - Male Tournament 2015 (= first edition)
Hongkong Golden Saimoe - Male Tournament 2015 (= first edition)
Senpuu Saigar Tournament 2014 and 2015 (first edition 2012)

Any thoughts?
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:12 pm

The Saimoe Database is going to replace the Saimoe Yearbook. So far 2014 and 2015 yearbook data have been added.

In the future the tournaments from the yearbook (see last post) should be covered at least from round of 32.
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:24 pm

Smaller tournaments (usually less than 100 contestants in main tournament) can be added completely from the first edition. This is already done for AnimeGirls Saimoe Tournament and Baidu Harem Moe. Next project is Baidu Nova Moe 2012 - 2014.
Larger tournaments may be added completely from the 2016 edition - dependent on the amount of contestants.

BTW: This thread is not supposed to be a monologue.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:37 pm

Oh, we're reading, Shmion
don't worry

It's just that this database thing is very complicated to people who know little about this
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:48 pm

Reverend wrote:Oh, we're reading, Shmion
don't worry

It's just that this database thing is very complicated to people who know little about this
There's not only complicated database stuff to talk about. You can also discuss which tournaments that should be added in the future. Or about what you want the database use for?

After adding the previous editions of Baidu Nova Moe the "smaller" tournaments are done. Tournaments like Yamibo Yuri Saimoe, Baidu Anime Saimoe Tournament or Senpuu Saimoe Tournament have much more competitors (volunteers for those tournaments are welcome, of course). So for now I would like to add some missing data (few vote numbers of matches) or add some seiyuu-connections.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:13 pm

Shmion84 wrote:
Reverend wrote:Oh, we're reading, Shmion
don't worry

There's not only complicated database stuff to talk about. You can also discuss which tournaments that should be added in the future. Or about what you want the database use for?
Well, me personally can't say much about it, database jobs and interface jobs and sql and such. Those stuffs always fly over my head,
As of this point, tbh, I think the database can only serve as a detailed history book of Saimoe, of its growth and decline.

We (well, you, I mean :oops: ) can make it accessible in all the sites of the tournaments mentioned.
A sanctuary of Saimoe knowledge and stuffs that hopefully will still last even after Saimoe extinct.

How to use this for advertisement is still beyond my head.
Since the concept of 'moe' itself becomes less popular. Saimoe still grows, yes, but its speed is not on the same rate as the growth of anime community.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Mon May 16, 2016 5:37 pm

List of possible historical projects:

Baidu Anime Saimoe Tournament: 2011 - 2013 complete, 2014 and 2015 early rounds - I saved 2012 and 2013 tournament data, other data might be found in tieba.baidu.com
Bilibili Moe (also Male Tournament): 2015 early rounds - data still available at http://www.bilibili.com/html/moe2015-result.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HK Golden Saimoe: 2013 complete, 2014 and 2015 early rounds - can be found at hkgolden.com
HK Golden Saimoe - Male Tournament: 2015 early rounds - can be found at hkgolden.com
Korean Best Moe - Male Tournament: 2007 and 2008 complete - however, only few results available.
Miss Anime Tournament: 2013 complete, 2015 early rounds - 2013 data available at http://msat.atwebpages.com/?id=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ore no Saimoe: 2015 early rounds - available at http://www.geocities.jp/hightentionw/orenosaimoe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Senpuu Saimoe Tournament: 2011 - 2013 complete, 2014 and 2015 early rounds - available at http://portal.senpuusociety.com.pl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Senpuu Saigar Tournament: 2012 and 2013 complete, 2014 and 2015 early rounds - available at http://portal.senpuusociety.com.pl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamibo Yuri Saimoe: 2006 - 2013 complete, 2014 and 2015 early rounds - forum containing all data: http://www.yamibo.com/forum-52-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - some overview / result threads: http://www.yamibo.com/thread-62473-1-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (2007), http://www.yamibo.com/thread-88420-1-24.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (2008), http://www.yamibo.com/thread-126165-1-15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (2010), http://www.yamibo.com/thread-143950-1-10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (2011), http://www.yamibo.com/thread-215117-1-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (2014) and http://www.yamibo.com/thread-241706-1-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (2015)
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Mon May 16, 2016 6:52 pm

Shmion84 wrote:Major update: Seiyū for characters 303 - 4599, except non-anime content (for example visual novels, manga, non-Japan media, webtoons - vocaloids, however, included). Added 822 Seiyūs.
During this project I took the advantage to double-check the character entries. I deleted 4 duplicate character entries and added 2 series (incorrectly included in Monogatari Series).

Top 5 Seiyū by number of database entries:
Hanazawa Kana - 70
Kugimiya Rie - 67
Kawasumi Ayako - 59
Horie Yui - 53
Tamura Yukari - 47
First male one (ranked 33rd):
Miyano Mamoru - 24
Me suddenly thinking if it's possible to see the total win, average win/character, and win rate of Seiyuus in Saimoe.
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Sun May 22, 2016 6:30 am

Reverend wrote:
Shmion84 wrote:Major update: Seiyū for characters 303 - 4599, except non-anime content (for example visual novels, manga, non-Japan media, webtoons - vocaloids, however, included). Added 822 Seiyūs.
During this project I took the advantage to double-check the character entries. I deleted 4 duplicate character entries and added 2 series (incorrectly included in Monogatari Series).

Top 5 Seiyū by number of database entries:
Hanazawa Kana - 70
Kugimiya Rie - 67
Kawasumi Ayako - 59
Horie Yui - 53
Tamura Yukari - 47
First male one (ranked 33rd):
Miyano Mamoru - 24
Me suddenly thinking if it's possible to see the total win, average win/character, and win rate of Seiyuus in Saimoe.
There are some problems (main seiyuu or not? - how many characters can advance? - several characters voiced by same seiyuu in one match), but I can note this for future trivia work.
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]
Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
Melon Pan: 50
2019 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
2019 Male Favorite: Kyon
2018 Female Favorite: Rem
2018 Male Favorite: Roy Mustang
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki

Post by Toady » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:56 pm

The database is out and it's really easy and fun to use!

I really like the feature that allows us to see all the results of one character, one series or one seiyuu.
But another thing you could expect if you put two times the name of the same series or seiyuu is to have all intra-series or intra-seiyuu matches! It would be nice to have immediately all the matches where two Love Live! characters fight each other for example, or all HanaKana vs. HanaKana.
I don't know if it would be easy to include. Anyway, thanks for your hard work =D
Much stuff (but Chibaka has more)Show
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi
My Secret Santa is awesome :3

Hikarin <3
Thank you Secret Santa 2016 :3
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:11 am

Thanks for your appreciation.
As for the suggested intra-series and intra-seiyū matches: I don't know if we will do this (will require a modified query and an additional button), but I will add this to the wishlist for now.
While you can't search for intra-series and inter-seiyū matches only, there are two other options:
- character vs series of character: For example Tachibana Kanade (Angel) @ Angel Beats! vs Angel Beats! will show you only matches of Tachibana Kanade against other Angel Beats! characters.
- character vs seiyū of character: For example Tachibana Kanade (Angel) @ Angel Beats! vs Hanazawa Kana will show you only matches of Tachibana Kanade against other characters voiced by Hanazawa Kana.