Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 95
2017 Female Favorite: Konjiki No Yami
2017 Male Favorite: Kyon
Wish: ISML still exists next year

Idea: Best Waifu Rating

Post by Shmion84 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:01 pm

I had thought about ratings for saimoe tournaments earlier. For example an ELO based rating for ISML or an overall ranking for tournaments where characters earned 1/place points. I changed the last system to 32/place points for all top 32 characters of any tournament in the Saimoe Yearbooks. KyotoAnimationCEO created a rating where characters earned between 1 and 25 points for winning a tournament depending of the class of the tournament. So why thinking about yet another rating?

"Best waifu rating" is a monthly rating where characters earn points depending on (1) the importance of the tournament, (2) the success in a tournament and (3) the time that has passed since the tournament. The purpose of this rating is to find the top contenders for title of the best waifu and not rank all saimoe characters! Champions of very important tournaments can gain up to 500 points per edition while tournaments of lower importance may have a maximum of 100 points or below. The maximum of points for a given tournament shall be abbreviated MAXTP. The runner-up and other characters earn MAXTP - 100 * LOG2 (RANK) where RANK is the place in the tournament (2 for runner-up, 8 for eliminated quarterfinalists). The characters gain the points in the month where the tournament finished. They lose 5 % of the original points from this tournament every month. This means they lost all points from a specific tournament in 20 months.

Example: Shana was the runner-up of 2011 ISML, finished in November 2011. ISML is a very important tournament, so the champion (in this case Misaka Mikoto) earned 500 points. Therefore Shana earned 500 - 100 * LOG2 (2) = 500 - 100 = 400 points for her 2nd place in the November 2011 rating. She lost 5 % or 20 points until the December 2011 rating => 380 points. After one year she lost 60 % or 240 points from that tournament and had only 160 points left in the November 2012 rating. 20 points were left in the June 2013 rating, but 0 points in the July 2013 rating.

Initially I planned a daily rating, but this would have been too much work and the point values would not have been very "nice". At first the characters should lose their tournament points after 730 days (= 2 years), later I tested 548 days (= 1.5 years). After changing to a monthly rating I had to choose between 20 months (5 % deduction) and 25 months (4 % deduction). Many tournaments end each year in the same month or +/- 1 month. Since I didn't want the possible points from three consecutive editions to accumulate I opted for 20 months.
I used following provisional classification of tournaments for my test calculations: AST, BGC, ISML, KBM and KSBM 500 MAXTP; BBM 400 MAXTP; AFST, BHM, BNM and BCC 300 MAXTP; AGST, BAST, GAB, HKGS, loli battle and YYS 200 MAXTP; and MsAT, Ore no Saimoe and SST 100 MAXTP.
Features of the MAXTP - 100 * LOG2 (RANK) formula: Top 31 characters of 500 MAXTP tournaments will earn points (in most cases only characters that reached the round of 16); also top 15 characters of 400 MAXTP tournaments (in most cases the quarterfinalists); and top 7 characters of 300 MAXTP tournaments (in most cases semifinalists); and top 3 characters of 200 MAXTP tournaments; but only the champion of 100 MAXTP tournaments.

I chose four characters (Akiyama Mio, Misaka Mikoto, Saber and Shana) for my test calculations. I used the data of the Saimoe Database (that means until July 2017). Let's look at the two images:
The difference between both diagrams is whether I included all possible results or only the 5 results with most points in the month. Just compare the second highest spike in Shana's and Misaka Mikoto's graphs. At least one characters surpassed the 500 point line in most of the months. Therefore just winning one major tournament doesn't secure the 1st place in the overall ranking (as seen for Shana's win in 2016 ISML).

I attached a pdf showing the points of the four characters after each tournament for 3 models (730 days, 548 days and 20 months) all and top 5 results only.
Graph of Shana's points using the 730 days modelShow
As mentioned above the classification of the tournaments is only provisional. Maybe you have different opinions. I feel a bit uneasy giving KBM and KSBM the top rating. On the other side I would be willing to add the ISML Seasonals (probably with 100 MAXTP). Other tournaments would need to be classified as well. Other open questions are: Should the places 17 to 31 of the old ISML Regular Season 2008-2011 be added? (I would say yes.) What is the lower limit or minimum size for tournaments to be included? Should the MAXTP for a tournament change over the years? (Like KyotoAnimationCEO does for AST, GAB, HKGS and KBM.)

So what do you think about this rating? Do you have any questions? Any thoughts? Any suggestions? (Maybe you can suggest a better name for the rating.)
Attachments
raw values.pdf
(48.11 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Yamada Naoko
Melon Pan: 120
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Kyon
2017 Female Favorite: Kasumigaoka Utaha
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
Wish: Creating the best card game

Re: Idea: Best Waifu Rating

Post by Chibasa » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:17 am

Somehow it makes me thinks about ATP/WTA Tennis system with Grand Slam, Master1000, ATP500, ATP250. With tournament not all weighting as much points. Except this system is based on 12 months and 20 months, so yearly edition, makes it you can't get points from 2 different editions of same tournament. The difference here, is you're making it decreasing after time instead of points vanishing after a period.

I think we need find some factors to determine which tournaments are "Grand Slam" equivalent in Saimoe. A mixture of attendance and age maybe?
ImageImage
Secret Santax Time
much more stuff than ToadyShow
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hikarin is the best
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:16 pm

Chibasa wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:17 am
Somehow it makes me thinks about ATP/WTA Tennis system with Grand Slam, Master1000, ATP500, ATP250. With tournament not all weighting as much points. Except this system is based on 12 months and 20 months, so yearly edition, makes it you can't get points from 2 different editions of same tournament. The difference here, is you're making it decreasing after time instead of points vanishing after a period.
Yeah. During my research for a good rating I stumbled over the ATP rating.

Other ratings or formulas I checked were the old FIFA rating and the chessmetric rating, in which the results vanished after 48 months (linear each month in chessmetric and different values after 12 months in FIFA). However 4 years would be a too long period for the saimoe tournaments so I restricted the period to 1 - 3 years at first and later to 1.5 - 2.5 years until choosing 1.66 years.

The FIS scoring system was also interesting. The top 30 earn points: place 1 gets 100 points, place 2 80 points, place 4 50 points, place 8 32 points and place 16 15 points. The 1992 version of this system was even more logarithmic: place 1 got 100 points, place 2 80 points, place 4 55 points, place 8 40 points and place 16 20 points. And so I constructed the MAXTP - 100 * LOG2 (RANK) formula.
Chibasa wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:17 am
I think we need find some factors to determine which tournaments are "Grand Slam" equivalent in Saimoe. A mixture of attendance and age maybe?
Assigning the tournaments to different classes is a very important, but also very difficult part of this rating. For now I used an internal discussed classification with 4 tiers (based on prestige and average number of voters): viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7799&p=404368#p404368
The only difference is that I created a new class 400 MAXTP with BBM as the only tournament.

We will need to find a consensus on how to classify the tournaments. Not only the tournaments listed above, but other like the ones mentioned by @uoiea1998
- CAAS (Chica Anime All Stars; I only found the final match of the 2010 tournament which Sawachika Eri won against Erza Scarlet 394 to 297)
- ACT (Aniplus Character Tournament; lots of voters, but didn't find enough data yet)
- SAC (Saimoe AnimeClick; usually hundreds of voters)
And early Japanese Anime Saimoe tournaments, for which we may need other rules for the classification:
- GAINAX Saimoe Tournament in 2002 (with 2 epic matches)
- World Masterpiece Theater Saimoe Tournament in 2004 (I only know the final match)
- Tôhyô Anime Saimoe Tournament in 2004/05 (Kasuga Ayumu's revenge)
- Anime Uramoe Tournament in 2006
Also other tournaments, less known or short lived:
- Chinese Saimoe Conferences/TGBUS Saimoe in 2007-2009 (thousands of voters)
- Chinese Anime Saimoe Championship in 2009 (I only know the final match)
- Aniparty Super Moe Tournamnts in 2009 and 2010 (I only know the final matches)
- Ecchi Girl of the Year 2011 (hundreds of voters)
- FB Moe Leagues in 2012 and 2013 (up to several thousand voters)
- FB Saimoe/Japanese ACGN in 2012 and 2013, biannual (more than thousand voters)
- FB-二次元動畫小姐選舉 - I guess something like 2D Anime Girl Election? - since 2012 (hundreds of voters)

For comparison, an overview of @KyotoAnimationCEO's tournament classification:
Grade IA (25 points) for BBM, AST (2002-2012) and ISML
Grade I (20 points) for AST (2013-2014), BGC and KBM (2006-2010)
Grade IB (15 points) for BILIBILI动画人气角色大赏-国产动画场(B萌-国漫场)
Grade II+ (10 points) for KBM (2011-2012) and GAB (2012-2014)
Grade II (8 points) for 10 tournaments including AFST and BCC
Grade III+ (5 points) for 7 tournaments including HKGS (2013-2015), GAB (2016) and AGST
Grade III (3 points) for 8 tournaments including loli battle, SAC and YYS
Listed (1 point) for 6 tournaments including HKGS (since 2016)
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:29 am

Some more detailed rules and comments:
- The Best Waifu Rating is a monthly rating. Any tournaments which voting time for the final match ended between 00:00 UTC of the first day of the month and 23:59 UTC of the last day of the month will be treated the same. Note 1: 23:59 UTC means also 21:59 UTC-2 and 07:59 UTC+8 of the next day! Note 2: The end of the voting time is decisive and not the time of the announcement of the results!

- Aborted and unfinished tournaments should not be considered for the rating.
- For now I would follow - in general - the classification of tournaments mentioned above: 500 MAXTP for the most prestigious tournaments, 400 MAXTP for some tournaments with above 10000 votes per match or other important tournaments, that don't match into the 500 MAXTP category very well, 300 MAXTP for tournaments with above 1000 votes per match, 200 MAXTP for tournaments with above 100 votes per match and 100 MAXTP for the small tournaments with less than 100 votes per match. I may add a class of 40 MAXTP or 20 MAXTP for very small tournaments with about 20 or 10 votes per match (like Ore no Saimoe).
- Biannual or quarterly tournaments or tournaments that severely restricted the contestants (like only characters from animes of a certain animation studio) should get a lower class than the votes per match would have determined.
- Only anime-related tournaments should be included. No manga, light novel, visual novel, game etc. tournaments.
- Suggested guideline: restrict the total number of included reddit and baidu tournaments so they don't get too much weight overall. (Perhaps restrict the total number of included tournaments - not tournament editions - in the Best Waifu Rating to 15 or 20? This would need some discussion.)

- Characters which tied for the first place of a tournament will both earn the points for the first place (for example AST 2014). In the special case of Chinese Saimoe Conference (TGBUS) 2008 I would opt to assign the two "winners" the rank sqrt(2).
- Only female characters may earn points in tournaments open to male and female characters. Example: Oreki Hōtarō won the ACT 2013 and Shiina Mashiro was runner-up. So Oreki Hōtarō doesn't get any points and Shiina Mashiro get points for the second place.
- Third place matches, other consolation matches (ISML, PTT C_Chat 2010&11), round robin tournaments (PTT C_Chat 2007, ISML old Regular Season 2008-2011), Swiss Tournaments (ISML) or other special cases (like Konjiki no Yami's 9th place in KBM as the unlucky winner not allowed to advance to the quarter finals) will be accepted to determine the rank of characters in a tournament. Comparison of overall votes, votes in the last round, winning points etc. (KBM and possibly also ACT) won't be accepted.
- The final rating will be rounded to full points. Characters with equal points will share the same rank (even if this happened after rounding!)

I'll try to gather tournament data to calculate the February 2019 Best Waifu Rating which may be released in early March. It will include data from all relevant tournaments that ended between July 2017 and February 2019. I guess Rem could have good chances to claim a top rank.

Later I could try to calculate the historic ratings (since 2002 or 2006).

Any help would be appreciated.
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:00 pm

Update: I did a provisional calculation for the February 2019 Best Waifu Index including data from following tournaments:
Best Girl Contest (BGC) 2017, 2018 (500 MAXTP)
ISML 2017, 2018 (500 MAXTP)
BiliBili Moe (BILM) 2017, 2018 (400 MAXTP)
Aniplus Character Tournament (ACT) 2017, 2018 (300 MAXTP)
Best Character Contest (BCC) 2017, 2018 (300 MAXTP)
Baidu Harem Moe (BHM) 2018, 2019 (300 MAXTP)
/r/Anime's Best Girl (RABG) 2018 (300 MAXTP)
Baidu Nova Moe (BNM) "2016" (200 MAXTP - rating deducted since the tournament lost most of its voters after the long break since BNM "2015". In addition, attempt to restrict the influence of the several BNM editions this year.)
Great Awwnime Bracket (GAB) 2018 (200 MAXTP)
Saimoe Animeclick (SAC) 2018 (200 MAXTP)
Yamibo Yuri Saimoe (YYS) 2017, 2018 (200 MAXTP)
HK Golden Saimoe (HKGS) 2017 (100 MAXTP - rating deducted since the tournament lost most of its voters after turning into a community only event in 2016)
Miss Sexy Anime (MSA) 2017, 2018 (100 MAXTP - second contest of the animeclick community. Would have qualified for 200 MAXTP, but I chose 100 MAXTP to restrict the overall influence of animeclick. Therefore I didn't include the their third contest, Miss HotClick.)

Three characters will get more than 500 points and another six characters will get between 400 and 500 points according to the calculations:
#1 1275 points
#2 607 points
#3 550 points
#4 448 points
#5 444 points
#6 443 points
#7 412 points
#8 410 points
#9 401 points
I would say characters inside a ca. 50 points range can be considered as of equal rank. Can you guess some of the top 9 characters?

I plan publish the complete February 2019 Best Waifu Rating next weekend. Please submit suggestions or ask any questions until then. Furthermore I ask you to discuss the following options:

- @Chibasa suggested to revise the formula for the points per rank (MAXTP - 100 * LOG2 (RANK)) and add 20 points for another round (based on powers of two). For example:
(1) Competitors eliminated in round of 16 of a 500 MAXTP tournament earn 100 points, while those eliminated in round of 32 earn 0 points until now. Following this suggestion they would earn 20 points. Place 33 will still earn 0 points.
(2) Champions of 100 MAXTP tournament earn 100 points, while the runner-up earn 0 points until now. This would change to 20 points for the runner-up. Third place will still earn 0 points.
This would likely double the number of entries, but would not change the overall rating too much.

- Changing the rating of BILM from 400 MAXTP to 500 MAXTP.

- Adding the ISML seasonals tournament. I would suggest a rating of 100 MAXTP for now.

- Other potential candidates, that would affect the February 2019 rating: (all of them found in the saimoe champions list, now curated by @uoiea1998)
Namine's Cafe Annual Best Girl Competition (Community only tournament at myanimelist.net. The final edition finished in December 2017; less than 100 voters, therefore would qualify for 100 MAXTP. Results and match data available.)
2D Anime Girl Election "二次元動畫小姐選舉" (Facebook tournament, would qualify for 200 MAXTP. I know the results of the main tournaments and the match data of the 2018 edition. I would need the match data of the final matches of the earlier editions!)
Several tournaments of the Moe Moe World: Battle of the Moe, LoliMouto and Waifu Wars (All Facebook tournaments. The oldest one, Battle of the Moe qualifies for 200 MAXTP. But I don't want to include all three tournaments! Compare to the animeclick case above. Most of the results and match data available.)
Baidu MiniMoe or Baidu China Moe (Didn't check these two. I wouldn't include too many Baidu - or reddit - tournaments. But maybe one of them.)

You can suggest other tournaments too.
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:34 am

I finished the calculations on the February 2019 Best Waifu Rating. Since nobody contradicted, I made the following changes:
- Chibasa's 20 point rule
- increased BILM rating to 500 MAXTP
- added ISML Seasonal with 100 MAXTP
- added Namine's Cafe Annual Best Girl Competition (NCABGC) with 100 MAXTP
- added 2D Anime Girl Election on Facebook, "二次元動畫小姐選舉", (FB2DAG) with 200 MAXTP
- added Battle of the Moe (BOTM) with 200 MAXTP and Waifu Awards (WA) with 100 MAXTP
- added Baidu Chinese Moe (BCM) with 200 MAXTP

Note: I followed the official top 20 ranks for ISML and classified the other contestants by their results before Elimination Period. Therefore I added "round of 24" for ISML 2017 and "round of 32" for ISML 2018.
I didn't find the match data of the FB2DAG final of 2017, so I didn't include data from that tournament. Therefore the final overall rating is a bit "uncompleted". This affects four characters: champion Chitanda Eru (probably + 50 to 70 points), runner-up Izumi Sagiri (probably + 35 to 50 points) and semi-finalists Rem and Mash Kyrielight (probably + 5 to 7 points).

I said in the first post "The purpose of this rating is to find the top contenders for title of the best waifu and not rank all saimoe characters!" and here are the top ten contenders:
List of all 153 characters in the ratingShow
1 1438 Rem
2 607 Yukinoshita Yukino
3 576 Kanna Kamui
4 568 Yūki Asuna
5 538 Tōsaka Rin
6 518 Kinomoto Sakura
7 454 Katō Megumi
8 445 Megumin
9 432 Sakurajima Mai
10 410 Emilia
11 405 Violet Evergarden
12 358 Shiina Mashiro
13 350 Itsuka Kotori
14 340 Chtholly Nota Seniorious
15 317 Illyasviel von Einzbern
16 313 Tōru
17 282 Takanashi Rikka
18 280 Nero Claudius
19 267 Aqua
20 260 Zero Two
21 259 Nishimiya Shōko
22 240 Matoi Ryūko
22 240 Minamiya Natsuki
24 239 Kasumigaoka Utaha
25 234 Izumi Sagiri
26 230 Ruler (Jeanne d'Arc)
27 228 Shiro
28 216 Uraraka Ochako
29 205 Holo
30 194 Hirasawa Yui
31 192 Saber
32 187 Kafū Chino
33 180 Kagamihara Nadeshiko
33 180 Saijō Claudine
33 180 Schwi Dola
36 178 Makise Kurisu
37 144 Shiina Mayuri
38 140 Doma Umaru
38 140 Matō Sakura
40 130 Aoyama Nanami
41 120 Oshino Shinobu
42 113 Senjōgahara Hitagi
43 110 Himeragi Yukina
44 95 Nikaidō Saki
45 92 Tokisaki Kurumi
46 90 Izawa Shizue
46 90 Tendō Maya
48 84 Aisaka Taiga
49 80 Dorothy @ Princess Principal
50 79 Duan MuRong
51 78 Isshiki Iroha
52 76 Darkness
52 76 Horikita Suzune
52 76 Sakura Chiyo
55 72 Kurumizawa Satanichia McDowell
56 70 Alice @ Fate Series
56 70 Miyu Edelfelt
56 70 Ortfiné Fredericka von Eylstadt
56 70 Phosphophyllite
56 70 Yoko Littner
61 66 Miyamizu Mitsuha
61 66 Winry Rockbell
61 66 Yaoyorozu Momo
64 65 Hiratsuka Shizuka
64 65 Nakiri Erina
64 65 Yuigahama Yui
67 52 Suzumiya Haruhi
68 50 Mash Kyrielight
69 48 Ōmae Kumiko
70 40 Sairenji Haruna
71 37 Takagi
72 35 Charlotte @ Princess Principal
72 35 Sistene Fibel
74 33 Nakano Azusa
75 31 Mōri Ran
76 30 Tomori Nao
77 28 Aiba Asagi
77 28 Sawamura Spencer Eriri
79 22 Asada Shino
80 21 Mikasa Ackerman
81 20 Furukawa Nagisa
81 20 Haibara Ai
81 20 Kitashirakawa Tamako
81 20 Konjiki no Yami
81 20 Kōsaka Reina
81 20 Momo Belia Deviluke
81 20 Nibutani Shinka
81 20 Kikyō @ Inuyasha
81 20 Natsume Reiko
81 20 Platelet
91 19 Akemi Homura
91 19 Azusagawa Kaede
91 19 Futaba Rio
91 19 Jibril
91 19 Koga Tomoe
91 19 Takarada Rikka
97 18 Hanekawa Tsubasa
97 18 Daiba Nana
97 18 Fate Testarossa
97 18 Takimoto Hifumi
101 17 Haruno Sakura
102 16 Yame Yukana
103 14 Amadeus Kurisu
103 14 Antarcticite
103 14 C.C.
103 14 Chito
103 14 Daidōji Tomoyo
103 14 Diamond
103 14 Frankenstein @ Fate Series
103 14 Fujimura Taiga
103 14 Kishinami Hakuno
103 14 Matou Sakura (AI)
103 14 Motoba Kirie
103 14 Nabelal Gamma
103 14 Olgamally Animusphere
103 14 Popuko
103 14 Rider (Medusa)
103 14 Teruhashi Kokomi
119 13 Akiyama Mio
119 13 Amane Suzuha
119 13 Kiryūin Satsuki
119 13 Nakiri Alice
119 13 Riza Hawkeye
124 12 Kuroyukihime
125 10 Kanbaru Suruga
125 10 Kirigaya Suguha (Leafa)
125 10 Altair
125 10 Kobayashi
125 10 Shiraha Raphiel Ainsworth
125 10 Tenma Gabriel White
125 10 Zero @ Zero kara Hajimeru Mahō no Sho
132 9 Sakuranomiya Maika
133 7 Eila Ilmatar Juutilainen
133 7 Yagami Kō
135 6 Kani Nayuta
135 6 Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade
135 6 Kurosawa Ruby
135 6 Yamabuki Saya
139 5 Chitanda Eru
139 5 Irisviel von Einzbern
141 4 Kawakami Mai
142 2 Annie Leonhart
142 2 Ayano Keiko (Silica)
142 2 Kayano Kaede
142 2 Meteora Österreich
142 2 Selesia Uptiria
142 2 Shimakaze
142 2 Tenma Haniel White
142 2 Yūdachi
142 2 Yui @ Sword Art Online
151 1 Araragi Karen
151 1 Kaname Madoka
151 1 Tachibana Kanade
As you can see Rem is the undisputed number one on this list. So we may call her "Best Waifu" at the moment. I also showed rank changes since the (unpublished) January 2019 rating.

What will happen in March 2019? Baidu Nova Moe 2017 will end and probably Saimoe Animeclick 2019, too. Also all data from Best Girl Contest 2017 will lose any influence on the rating. So the 2nd place may change, but the 1st place won't change at least until Best Girl Contest or BiliBili Moe 2019.

I double-checked the data, but they may still contain errors. So it's possible that I have to update the February 2019 rating.

Update: Thanks to @Chibasa for pointing out that Uraraka Ochako and Platelet should earn 20 points for second place in ISML seasonals tournament 2018 and Kanna Kamui and Horikita Suzune should earn 6 points for second place in ISML seasonals tournament 2017. I updated the list and the image.
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:06 pm

I worked on the historical project and added data from other (retired) tournaments, like:
- Aniparty Saimoe 2010 (300 MAXTP) - thanks to @maglor for help
- Area11 Saimoe 2009 (200 MAXTP)
- FB Moe League 2012 and 2013 (200 MAXTP)
- FB Winter/Spring and Summer/Autumn Moe 2012 and 2013 (200 MAXTP)
- Japanator Saimoe 2011 and 2012 (100 MAXTP)
- loli battle 2007 and 2008 (200 MAXTP)
- PTT C_Chat Saimoe 2007, 2010 and 2011 (200 MAXTP)
- Stage 1st Saimoe 2008 (200 MAXTP)
- TGBUS Chinese Saimoe 2007-2009 (300 MAXTP) - awarded rank sqrt(2) to both "champions" of 2008 (C.C. and Shana)

I changed MAXTP for two tournaments:
- KSBM 500 MAXTP to 400 MAXTP (to reduce the influence of anizone community)
- Great Awwnime Bracket (2012-2014) 200 MAXTP to 300 MAXTP (since the early, annual tournament editions had much more voters)

I want to thank @Chibasa and @uoiea1998 for their help, too.

I calculated the Best Waifu Rating for all months since October 2006 (= end of Korean Best Moe 2006, first major saimoe tournament in concurrence to AST). In order to visualize all the data I created a video called bwr.mp4:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oa66lg3v3 ... r.mp4/file (about 52 MB, 4 minutes and 19 sec, 1280 x 720, no audio)
It shows the top 10 of each month, image of the Best Waifu of the month, the points and a graph. The colors for the characters are random and may change in future versions (especially Sakura Chiyo's color). The white line on the bottom is not intended (will change in future version, too).

Although the video is not perfect, it shows a bit of the saimoe tournament history of the last 12.5 years. You will see 83 different characters.

Any feedback is appreciated.
uoiea1998
Harem lead
Harem lead
Badges:
Worships: Shiodome Miuna
Melon Pan: 50
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Araragi Koyomi
2018 Female Favorite: Oshino Shinobu
2018 Male Favorite: Araragi Koyomi
2017 Female Favorite: Shiodome Miuna
2017 Male Favorite: Araragi Koyomi
Wish: Long live saimoe community all around the world!

Post by uoiea1998 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 am

wow! great works Shmion! Truly a nice video which shows the trend of saimoe in a new angle. Can I post the video to Bilibili to expose it to more saimoe lovers :D
uoiea1998
Harem lead
Harem lead
Badges:

Post by uoiea1998 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:49 am

Also, I'd appreciate it if you could provide a full version of rule at present so I can translate it into Chinese later and to post it to tieba to see if there can be some useful suggestion.
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:15 pm

@uoiea1998: Thanks. You can post the video to bilibili. Maybe you could post a summary of the feedback you get at bilibili and tieba later. I plan to work on a slightly changed version of the video the next weekend. So perhaps I could include some of their ideas.

About the rules of the rating:

1) Characters earn points depending on their rank in a tournament and the class of the tournament. They lose 5 % of the original points from a given tournament every month. (This means they lost all points from a specific tournament within 20 months.)
2) Classification of the tournaments
list of tournamentsShow
500 MAXTP
AST: 2002-2014
KBM: 2006-2012
ISML: 2008-2018
BGC: 2014-2018
BILM: 2015-2018

400 MAXTP
KSBM: 2007-2008 and 2010

300 MAXTP
TGBUS Chinese Saimoe: 2007-2009
AFST: 2008-2015
BHM: 2008-2019
ASMT (Aniparty): 2010 (didn't find enough data on the first edition)
BNM: 2012-2015 (later: 200 MAXTP)
GAB: 2012-2014 (later: 200 MAXTP)
ACT: 2013-2018
BCC: 2015-2018
RABG (Reddit/Anime's Best Girl): 2018

200 MAXTP
YYS: 2006-2018
LB (loli battle): 2007-2008
Stage 1st Saimoe: 2008
Area11 Saimoe: 2009
PTT C_Chat Saimoe: 2007, 2010-2011 (didn't find data on the 2009 edition)
BAST: 2010-2015
BOTM (FB Battle of the Moe): 2012-2018
FBML (FB Moe League): 2012-2013
FBWSS (FB Winter/Spring Saimoe): 2012-2013 and FBSAS (FB Summer/Autumn Saimoe): 2012
HKGS: 2013-2015 (later: 100 MAXTP)
AGST: 2014-2017
SAC: 2014-2018
BCM (Baidu Chinese Moe): 2015-2018
BNM: 2016 (earlier: 300 MAXTP)
GAB: 2016 and 2018 (earlier: 300 MAXTP)
FB2DAG (二次元動畫小姐選舉): 2018 (didn't find enough data on earlier editions)

100 MAXTP
EGOTY (Ecchi Girl of the Year): 2011
Japanator Saimoe: 2011-2012
SST: 2011-2016
ISMLS (ISML Seasonal): 2012-2018
MsAT (Miss Anmie Tournament): 2013 and 2015
MSA (Miss Sexy Anime): 2014-2018 (the edition hold in October 2014 was labeled "2013" and the edition hold in October 2015 was labeled "2014")
NCABGC (Namine's Cafe Annual Best Girl Competition): 2014-2017
WA (FB Waifu Awards): 2015-2018
HKGS: 2016-2017 (earlier: 200 MAXTP)

20 MAXTP
Ons (Ore no Saimoe): 2015
3) Point calculation dependending on MAXTP and rank:

Code: Select all

=IF("rank">2^("maxtp"/100),0,MAX(20,"maxtp"-100*LOG("rank",2)))
4) It's a monthly rating and so any tournaments which voting time for the final match ended between 00:00 UTC of the first day of the month and 23:59 UTC of the last day of the month will be treated the same. The rating is rounded to full points.
liuxinyu970226
Flame haze
Flame haze
Badges:
Worships: Naoko Yamada
2019 Female Favorite: Violet Evergarden
2019 Male Favorite: Rimuru Tempest
2018 Female Favorite: Izumi Sagiri
2018 Male Favorite: Itsuka Shidō
2017 Female Favorite: Katō Megumi
2017 Male Favorite: Korosensei
Wish: Every girls got Tiara, and every boys got Scepter?!

Post by liuxinyu970226 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:50 am

I'm still wondering that why can't we count the TSDM within this thread.
#Pray-for-Kyoani
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Male Favorite: Archer
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:11 pm

Finally had the time to take all of it in.

1. Shana's early dominance is remarkable. No wonder she won so many necklaces.
2. Speaking of necklaces, I wonder if some bonus points should be attached to it, if possible. There really are large number of people who acts as if ISML's necklaces are the most important thing in the world.
3. When I looked at trends of Chitanda Eru, Katou Megumi, and even Akemi Homura, I now realize many of their achievements in ISML was not an isolated event, but accumulation of many events. They all show interesting rise of strength before their ISML victory or highlight moment, and often show further rises after their ISML victories from other events.
4. Perhaps some bonus points for winning the "Yearly Seasonal Crown" is warranted.
5. It always is nice to see Minamoto Chikaru's name in the ranking
6. Misaka Mikoto has really been dominant for a long time, but her dominance seems to have faded due to ISML instituting ToC.
7. ToC really do need to be added.
8. Sad to not see Yuuki Mikan in the top 10.
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:54 pm

liuxinyu970226 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:50 am
I'm still wondering that why can't we count the TSDM within this thread.
I thought about adding TSDM. However I didn't find enough data (especially end of final matches, but also average number of voters in finals, semifinals or quarterfinals). Therefore I didn't add this tournament, but may do so in the future.
maglor wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:11 pm
Finally had the time to take all of it in.

1. Shana's early dominance is remarkable. No wonder she won so many necklaces.
2. Speaking of necklaces, I wonder if some bonus points should be attached to it, if possible. There really are large number of people who acts as if ISML's necklaces are the most important thing in the world.
3. When I looked at trends of Chitanda Eru, Katou Megumi, and even Akemi Homura, I now realize many of their achievements in ISML was not an isolated event, but accumulation of many events. They all show interesting rise of strength before their ISML victory or highlight moment, and often show further rises after their ISML victories from other events.
4. Perhaps some bonus points for winning the "Yearly Seasonal Crown" is warranted.
5. It always is nice to see Minamoto Chikaru's name in the ranking
6. Misaka Mikoto has really been dominant for a long time, but her dominance seems to have faded due to ISML instituting ToC.
7. ToC really do need to be added.
8. Sad to not see Yuuki Mikan in the top 10.
I decided against adding ToC, since only few contestants participate (who, as past ISML champions, already earned a lot of points) and it would increase the influence of ISML on the rating too much. Same for necklaces, where only already strong ISML contestants would benefit. ISML Seasonals Tournament is different, since almost all of the contestants are new faces.
(However, I would add ToC and necklaces in case of an ISML-only rating, which could probably based on the ELO-rating...)
I will comment on some outstanding saimoe contestants (like Shana or Misaka Mikoto) and the overall graph in a future post.
I updated the video clip. Clip length is now 4:21. Links: (1) https://www.mediafire.com/file/xrn34p69 ... m.mp4/file (with related music provided by @Chibasa - about 38 MB), (2) https://www.mediafire.com/file/1fe141ob ... 7.mp4/file (without an music - about 26 MB)
Changelog:
- Chibasa music
- Added list of the champions of the most recent major saimoe tournaments.
- Changed 7 colors which were hardly visible or blurred.
- Stroke width of graph and grid increased to 2 px.
- I got rid of the white line on the bottom.
Screenshot: Image

I attached a file "export.csv" with the raw data (character, tournament, maxtp, year, final match, place of character) of the project.
Attachments
export.csv
(115.98 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:20 pm

Finally my opinion on some very dominating saimoe contestants and the overall chart.

I would like to divide the saimoe history in few periods.

Period "0" - before AST
It seems only a minority of the early saimoe tournaments dealt exclusively with anime characters. Other saimoe tournaments focused on visual novels, games, manga or music. The earliest saimoe tournament I could find (through http://web.archive.org/web/200402030351 ... emain.html) was the Leaf Key board saimoe tournament ("葉鍵板最萌トーナメント") which started in October 2001: http://web.archive.org/web/200402030351 ... emain.html

Period 1 - early AST era
I would include the first four editions of AST (2002 to 2005). It started as a 6-month long tournament and in 2005 Takamachi Nanoha was probably the first champion internationally known. I found only few other tournaments - all Japanese (2002 GAINAX Saimoe Tournament, 2004 World Masterpiece Theater Saimoe Tournament and 2004 Tōhyō Anime Saimoe Tournament).

Period 2 - "classic" era
I would include the next five editions of AST (2006 to 2010). A lot of epigonic saimoe tournaments started all over the world: Korean Best Moe and Super Best Moe, Yamibo Yuri Saimoe, Chica Anime All Stars, PTT C_Chat Saimoe, loli battle, ISML, Animefans Saimoe Tournament, Baidu Harem Moe or TGBUS Chinese Saimoe.
Most of the saimoe tournaments/communities shared a common taste. You can watch the video and see how many characters got many points (especially after ISML started in 2008). The best example may be November 2009 where three characters had more than 1000 points each and a fourth character had more than 900 points. This was only possible since they were successful in many tournaments. Apart from the three double champions (Suiseiseki 2006, Aisaka Taiga 2009 and Akiyama Mio 2010), I have to mention Hiiragi Kagami (champion AST 2008, 2nd place KBM 2009, 3rd place ISML 2008), Katsura Hinagiku (champion KBM 2007, ISML 2009, semifinalist AST 2008) and Shana (champion KSBM 2007, 2nd place ISML 2009, KBM 2007, semifinalist AST 2006). I would say characters from Kyoto Animation and J. C. Staff animes dominated this period.
And why was Shana so dominant? Being a tsundere loli helped, of course, but more important was, in my opinion, the lack of competitors in her own series. Looking at the tournaments we can see Rozen Maiden dolls fight each other, many strong CLANNAD characters, but none of them won a major tournament and the battle inside the SOS brigade. Katsura Hinagiku had a long rivalry with Sanzen'in Nagi and I guess some Hayate no Gotoku fans thought "Hinagiku is the best girl, but Nagi is more moe" which prevented Katsura Hinagiku from being the dominant girl of the period.

Period 3 - transition (or schism) period?
I would include the last four editions of AST (2011 to 2014). I think there are three tournament related events that justify starting a new period in 2010/11:
(1) The first of the epigonic saimoe tournaments disappeared: loli battle (last edition 2008), TGBUS Chinese Saimoe (last edition 2009), Korean Super Best Moe (last edition 2010) and PTT C_Chat Saimoe (last edition 2011). This marked the end of the first "saimoe boom period", although new saimoe tournaments started as a compensation (Baidu Anime Saimoe Tournament, Senpuu Saimoe Tournament, and lot of facebook tournaments).
(2) The strong dominance of K-ON! in 2010, winning all major tournaments (plus Aniparty Saimoe and PTT C_Chat Saimoe) and claiming the first and second place in the Best Waifu Rating.
(3) Two multivoter involved incidents in the major tournaments in 2011 lead to a schism in the saimoe community, as I would call it. First Misaka Mikoto and Tachibana Kanade were eliminated in AST group finals after their fanbase had been accused of multivoting in earlier matches. Later KBM was stopped during group finals after Kasugano Sora had defeated Kaname Madoka thanks to multivoters. The tournament restarted from round of 96 again. Voter restriction intensified in both cases.
Afterwards AST and ISML communities disagreed on favorite characters and even favorite series. AST became dominated by Madoka and Saki factions which were also powerful in YYS and in later editions of BAST (the latter two preferred Love Live! later). Akemi Homura also won KBM 2011 and two series mates entered the quarterfinals.
The dominance of K-ON! did not occur in saimoe tournaments only, but in terms of sales too. Therefore other anime studios adopted their moe elements leading to more series with moe characters able to fight for saimoe titles. Gigguk made a good youtube video on "The Moe Anime Revolution" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1x1RicXFMk). The interesting parts are "The Rising of Kyoto Animation" (start at 6:48) and the next chapter "The Moe Genre" (start at 12:53).
And so the influence of K-ON!, the schism between ISML and AST and the end of KBM lead to more competition and lower number of points for the top characters (no character with more than 1000 points between March 2012 and December 2013).
And why was Misaka Mikoto so dominant (reigning 34 months until June 2015)? I cannot provide a comprehensive answer. She is, like Shana, a tsundere and has, like Shana, no real opposition from other series mates: Index's saimoe popularity faded at the time Misaka Mikoto's began to rise, Shirai Kuroko was most successful in Yamibo Yuri Saimoe and Last Order is literally a clone. Her biggest advantage is winning her uncountable tournament titles over a long period of time. (Compare to Akiyama Mio who won KBM and ISML in the same month and set the global record of 1471 points. Afterwards she lost the points almost without resistance and dropped out of the top ten forever after 18 months.) I think the loyalty of her fanbase is another important point. In general, I would say saimoe communities tend to be very loyal to their favorite girls and series. (How often did Haramura Nodoka qualified for the AST quarterfinals? Four times. How often did Tachibana Kanade placed among the top three of ISML? Four times.) And her fanbase helped her to compete in many tournaments until she won them, finally. (See Animefans Saimoe Tournament: 2010 second place > 2012 quarterfinals > 2014 champion or Baidu Harem Moe: 2012 semifinals > 2015 champion or Best Girl Contest 2014 round of 32 > 2015 quarterfinals > 2016 champion).

Period 4 - present period? (Rem's reign)
It's hard to define a clear starting point for this period. I would say the end of AST 2014, the start of BGC 2014 and BILM 2015 and exclusion of past (Stella) champions from ISML after 2014 are the most important tournament related events between the two periods.
BGC and ISML are open to characters regardless of their last anime apperance (in contrast to AST and KBM). Both tournaments (and other smaller tournaments like AnimeGirls Saimoe Tournament or HK Golden Saimoe) allowed to boost nostalgia characters like Aisaka Taiga or Shana. The exclusion of past champions in BGC and ISML terminated Misaka Mikoto's reign as Best Waifu, because she couldn't get enough new points after winning BGC 2016.
Rem's reign is exceptional on the other hand. It's unique that she was able to win all major tournaments (BILM 2016, BGC 2018 and ISML 2018) and two 300 maxtp tournaments (Aniplus Character Tournament 2016 and Baidu Harem Moe 2019).
I can't say much about this period for now.
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Best Waifu Rating March 2019

ranks 11 to 20Show
11 Chtholly Nota Seniorious @ SukaSuka 360
11 Emilia @ Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 360
13 Zero Two @ Darling in the FranXX 345
14 Shiina Mashiro @ Sakura-sō no Pet na Kanojo 329
15 Itsuka Kotori @ Date A Live 325
16 Izumi Sagiri @ Eromanga Sensei 298
17 Illyasviel von Einzbern @ Fate Series 291
18 Tōru @ Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon 282
19 Takanashi Rikka @ Chūnibyō demo Koi ga Shitai! 263
20 Nero Claudius @ Fate Series 260
Altogether 148 characters in the ranking. Baidu Nova Moe "2017" and Best Waifu/Saimoe Animeclick 2019 added.
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Sun May 05, 2019 12:52 pm

New version of the Best Waifu Rating video clip. Improved character colors thanks to Chibasa. Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kclyba5no ... 4.mp4/file (39.25 MB)

Best Waifu Rating April 2019
ranks 11 to 20Show
11 Chtholly Nota Seniorious @ SukaSuka 335
12 Zero Two @ Darling in the FranXX 325
13 Emilia @ Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 320
14 Shiina Mashiro @ Sakura-sō no Pet na Kanojo 301
15 Itsuka Kotori @ Date A Live 300
16 Illyasviel von Einzbern @ Fate Series 266
17 Izumi Sagiri @ Eromanga Sensei 257
18 Tōru @ Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon 251
19 Takanashi Rikka @ Chūnibyō demo Koi ga Shitai! 244
20 Nero Claudius @ Fate Series 240
130 characters in the rating. No major changes at the top.
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:42 am

Best Waifu Rating May 2019
ranks 11 to 20Show
11 Zero Two @ Darling in the FranXX 305
12 Katō Megumi @ Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata 300
13 Emilia @ Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 280
13 Itsuka Kotori @ Date A Live 280
15 Shiina Mashiro @ Sakura-sō no Pet na Kanojo 273
16 Izumi Sagiri @ Eromanga Sensei 256
17 Illyasviel von Einzbern @ Fate Series 240
18 Tōru @ Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon 230
19 Takanashi Rikka @ Chūnibyō demo Koi ga Shitai! 225
20 Nero Claudius @ Fate Series 220
Still 130 characters in the rating.

Violet Evergarden claimed the 6th rank thanks to winning ACGN Miss Anime Tournament 2019. Kanna Kamui earned 20 extra points in that tournament which saved her from having to share the 5th rank. Katō Megumi lost so many points, so that Chtholly Nota Seniorious could make her first appearance in the top ten.

Violet Evergarden is fighting in the final of Baidu Nova Moe 2018. She will reach either the 2nd or 3rd rank temporary. Perhaps @maglor is right about Violet Evergarden dethroning Rem in the future.
uoiea1998
Harem lead
Harem lead
Badges:

Post by uoiea1998 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Hello shmion have you noticed the r/anime 1 million subscribers 24-hour best girl contest? Considering the number of votes (about one thousand) in so little time (one hour per round) and the participants (all the prestigious girls participate) I suggest that it shall be at least with 200 MAXTP. (there is already a thread with link in the forum)
Shmion84
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Shmion84 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:17 pm

uoiea1998 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:09 pm
Hello shmion have you noticed the r/anime 1 million subscribers 24-hour best girl contest? Considering the number of votes (about one thousand) in so little time (one hour per round) and the participants (all the prestigious girls participate) I suggest that it shall be at least with 200 MAXTP. (there is already a thread with link in the forum)
I've read the thread and I may have classified the tournament as 200 or 300 MAXTP as well. The main argument against including this tournament in the Best Waifu Rating is the amount of other reddit tournaments: Best Character Contest, Best Girl Contest, Great Awwnime Bracket and /r/Anime's Best Girl. (The same reason why I didn't include Baidu Mini Moe.)

ACGN Miss Anime Tournament on the other side had been included since the Best Waifu Rating of February 2019 (as 2D Anime Girl Election on Facebook, "二次元動畫小姐選舉", (FB2DAG)).
uoiea1998
Harem lead
Harem lead
Badges:

Post by uoiea1998 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:34 pm

Shmion84 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:17 pm
uoiea1998 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:09 pm
I've read the thread and I may have classified the tournament as 200 or 300 MAXTP as well. The main argument against including this tournament in the Best Waifu Rating is the amount of other reddit tournaments: Best Character Contest, Best Girl Contest, Great Awwnime Bracket and /r/Anime's Best Girl. (The same reason why I didn't include Baidu Mini Moe.)

ACGN Miss Anime Tournament on the other side had been included since the Best Waifu Rating of February 2019 (as 2D Anime Girl Election on Facebook, "二次元動畫小姐選舉", (FB2DAG)).
Well, I would like to say that this tournament has a much hotter match discussion on reddit than those tieba tournaments and the ACGN miss Anime tournament (As now tieba has faded and not so much saimoe lovers are voting on the tieba tournaments). And this tournament serves as a well different purpose than the existing tournament on r/anime so I think that include it in the rating would not make reddit tournaments count too much on the list.