THIS RULE IS EFFECTIVE STARTING ISML 2021 (if it ever continues that is)
1. Character must be biologically female.
---- If the character is genderless or unknown, they will be accepted if:
---------- they exhibit predominantly feminine characteristics, or
---------- the audience considers them to be female.
2. Character must be human, humanoid, or anthropomorphic (given human characteristics).
3. Character must be relevant to the story.
4. Character must have at least ??? spoken lines.
5. Character must appear in an anime series with any new ANIMATED installment PREMIERING, AIRING, or RELEASED within THIS YEAR'S following dates:
- winter: January 1 - March 31
- spring: April 1 - June 30
- summer: July 1 - September 30
- fall: October 1 - December 31
1. she is already qualified for THIS YEAR's preliminary / regular season or tournament of champions
2. she has won the "Seasonal Diadem" before
3. she has made past the nominations in any of the previous eight seasonal contests.
EXPLANATIONS (Edit 2)
1. What counts as a "new animated installment"?
--- TV episodes, seasons, and cours (original air date)
--- Films (theatrical release or BLU-RAY DISC release; Japanese dates only)
--- OVA / OAD (Original video animation)
--- ONA (Original web animation)
Spin-offs, sequels, and cross-over shows will be entered under the name of the character's original series.
Winter 2020: Magia Record (adaptation of Madoka mobile RPG spin-off)
--- Iroha Tamaki @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
--- Kyouko Sakura @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Fall 2020: Yashahime (animated sequel spin-off of Inuyasha)
--- Moroha @ Inuyasha
--- Kagome Higurashi @ Inuyasha
Spring 2019: Isekai Quartet season 2
--- Ram @ Re:Zero
--- Aqua @ Konosuba
2. "Character is ineligible if she passed the nominations in one of the previous eight seasonal contests". How does that work?
---> "Passed the nominations" - Exactly as it says. If a girl passes nominations she will appear in the seasonal contest's preliminary rounds (usually approval voting group stage) and will have their faces shown in the main website.
---> The "PREVIOUS EIGHT SEASONAL CONTESTS" amounts to at least 24 months' worth of gap between appearances. Which means that if a character appears in a seasonal contest, she'll be disqualified for the next 8 seasonal contests (no exceptions) before she can hope to compete again.
---> The rule only applies to characters who are making their second or more appearances in the seasonal contest. Debutants are NOT affected.
---> The rule also prevents characters from multi-cour and long-running shows from constantly appearing in the seasonal contests.
Example 1: Suppose Nami from the long-running show One Piece appeared in Winter 2020. If we use the rule mentioned above, then her next possible eligible seasonal contest will be Spring 2022 (not winter 2022), because she'll have to wait out EIGHT SEASONALS [Spring 2020, Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Winter 2021, Spring 2021, Summer 2021, Fall 2021, Winter 2022] before appearing in her next seasonal contest.
Example 2: The 3rd season of Gochiusa (subtitled BLOOM) will air in Fall 2020. Here are the main girls' eligibility if we use the rule above:
Chino Kafuu and Kokoa Hoto are obviously disqualified
- Sharo Kirima: Eligible (did not appear in ISML 2020 and did not appear in any seasonal whatsoever)
- Chiya Ujimatsu: Eligible (same situation as Sharo)
- Rize Tedeza: Eligible (her last seasonal was in Spring 2013, seven years or 28 seasonal contests ago.)
Suggested changes are shown in green.