Donations to ISML

Bug reports, question, and suggestions about ISML. Forum help and information is here, too.
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Donations to ISML

Post by Crisu » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:10 am

http://www.internationalsaimoe.com/donate.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have opened our donations page for any who are eager to help contribute to the ISML Project. ^_^

ISML will continue to continue to be free to the voting community, but maintaining the server does cost some money. For now, the Staff are happy to pay for it out-of-pocket, but we wouldn't refuse a generous gift from any of you. All donations will pay for present and future hosting and registration services. And if we are fortunate to collect enough, a server upgrade may be possible, so we can expand our capacity and not have any more of those 503 errors.

Again, this is totally optional; we love you already for being here and voting. ^_^

Donating will get your name on the donations page (unless you request to be anonymous) and many thanks from us. At the moment, we don't have a reward system for donors.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Re: Donations to ISML

Post by Crisu » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:13 am

http://www.internationalsaimoe.com/news ... l-reached/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
News post, quoted in part below.

I'm happy to announce we have met our donation goal for ISML 2012. Thank you so much to all of our contributors and all who have voiced their support for our tournament and spread the word to friends and communities.

Our latest gifts came from MiiNiiPaa, superunature, and adorend_1990. Our current total is now USD $361.48, completing our goal of $350.00 for the year. This means our server and domain registration will last through the end of the ISML 2012 year, which is great news since we are currently not even halfway through 2011. Thank you again.

On the donation page, a new Affiliate Shopping section is open. Some community members have wanted this feature to complement their usual online purchases. By shopping with an affiliate ID, they help ISML earn a small commission -- effectively a donation at no additional cost. Currently we only have Play-Asia listed, but if anyone has a suggestion for additional affiliate links, please let us know.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Worships: Akiba
Wish: Rabu touch!

Post by superunature » Thu May 17, 2012 9:04 am

ok, so now it takes $450 to maintain?
looking at the donate page, every year the majority of funds comes from few big donors.
and so far this year, there is merely $25 in donations.

I suggest doing something about it now before having to scramble for funds next year.
maybe add more affiliate referral (Amazon,CDjapan etc.) (play-asia is a nice referral site , but everything there is just......higher priced)
or even a ppc/ppv ad that displays once a week/month on the very bottom vote page. We have to wait 180seconds and likely browse away from the tab anyways.
I know there isn't any "danger" right now, but this is a year after year thing.

Anyways, just something to think about, having it run self-sufficiently without having to rely on a few (or the already dedicated staffs) would be best.
xcrossfacekillahx
Incubator
Incubator
Worships: Rosario Cross
Wish: A very good tournament and more cookies. Moehood to reign

Post by xcrossfacekillahx » Thu May 17, 2012 3:16 pm

I agree, we need either more people donating or put more ads if needed just to lessen the burden on the staff. Play Asia is fine though.
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Sat May 19, 2012 2:29 am

I can look into more affiliates. I'm not too concerned about money, as it's still early in the year. And I want to avoid ad banners as long as possible. :) I suppose if it looks bad by the time Postseason starts, we can do one then. J-List is pretty popular, and I hear it pays a fair amount, so I could position it at the bottom of the voting page as you suggest. So it won't get in the way when you want to take a screenshot of your votes.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Post by superunature » Sat May 19, 2012 2:51 am

Crisu wrote:I can look into more affiliates. I'm not too concerned about money, as it's still early in the year. And I want to avoid ad banners as long as possible. :) I suppose if it looks bad by the time Postseason starts, we can do one then. J-List is pretty popular, and I hear it pays a fair amount, so I could position it at the bottom of the voting page as you suggest. So it won't get in the way when you want to take a screenshot of your votes.
J-list isn't any cheaper, affiliate sites better to put on the donation page since most people don't look at the bottom of the voting page anyways.
If you can get Amazon.com affiliate by sunday, I plan on spending $3060 Sunday night and $765 on Wednesday. which 4% commission would be quite a bit.
and possibly the same on the following week as well.
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Sat May 19, 2012 6:28 am

I added some Amazon Associates widgets. http://www.internationalsaimoe.com/donate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Would this be something you could use?

There should be two widgets (make sure you allow Amazon if you have an ad-blocker!!!). The one on the left is a dynamic search box. The one on the right is their "Omakase" widget, which supposedly gives you customized results depending on your browsing habits.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
2017 Female Favorite: Karasuma Chitose
2017 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Sat May 19, 2012 7:11 am

Hey guys. To follow up on Crisu's post, I'd like to remind you all that if you have Adblock (Plus) for Firefox and Chrome, then chances are the Amazon widgets are blocked. You can disable Adblock for ISML since aside from these widgets, we have no ads anywhere on the site.

Also, for ISML to get credit for the purchase, you have to search within the widget and click on the product inside the widget. For example, if you get redirected to Amazon and search within the site, then we no longer get credit, so please start/continue searches inside the widget on the donation page. If you see &tag=intlsaimoe-20 on the URL of the product page, then you're good!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Post by superunature » Mon May 21, 2012 7:46 pm

purchased through Amazon in the amount of $3,615.01 over 12 items using the widget, hope I did it right lol
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Tue May 22, 2012 12:45 am

So far, all I see is just one item successfully reported: a set of shipping labels. Hopefully it's just delayed, and more sales will be listed tomorrow.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Post by superunature » Tue May 22, 2012 12:48 am

Crisu wrote:So far, all I see is just one item successfully reported: a set of shipping labels. Hopefully it's just delayed, and more sales will be listed tomorrow.
yeah, I bought that too, $8.xx
on a seperate orders.
the expensive orders has been charged but actually has not been shipped yet.
on cashback sites, usually it is reported a day or two after shipped.
Last edited by superunature on Wed May 23, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Tue May 22, 2012 11:56 pm

Good news! A bunch of purchases appeared on the earnings report. Over $200 raised so far. Thanks, superu. :)
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Post by superunature » Mon May 28, 2012 11:12 am

made another $700 purchase + some dog biscuits.
probably that will be all thou, unless amazon has another canon camera deal within the next few days (not very likely), cuz resources isn't unlimited.
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Mon May 28, 2012 4:15 pm

lol, yes, the dog biscuits. I was wondering if they were yours. (If I may ask, are you running a small business with the cameras?)

This amounts to about $280 so far in commission for ISML. Amazon will send payment about 60 days after the end of each month, so when that comes in I'll list it as a donation from you; this will get us very close to completing the 2013 goal. Amazing. :)
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Post by superunature » Mon May 28, 2012 8:38 pm

yeah kinda

06-02, made another purchase of $698.00
06-05 purchase of $101.54 order returned due to defect
06/16 purchase of $1,115.27
06/16 purchase of $759
06/30 purchase of $764.61
06/30 another purchase of $764.61
06/30 purchased of $835
07/12 purchased of $1175
---------------

last purchase
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:42 am

superu is heroic. I'll update the main page soon, but you may have singlehandedly paid off a whole year (or more) for this site. o.o Best idea ever, really; we all thank you!
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
CrowKenobi
Cherry blossom
Cherry blossom

Post by CrowKenobi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:18 am

If you're looking for more affiliate links, have you looked at Rightstuf.com's Affiliate Program?
ImageImageImageImage
what might have been...Show
Thanks to Marinara for the avatar and sigs.
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Post by superunature » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:18 pm

lol no problem. Hopefully this sites lasts many more years to come.
with the current high maintance cost though, should always be looking for ways to earn revenue, especially ones that members can contribute to without direct donation.
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Re: Main Site Bugs and Errors

Post by superunature » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:35 am

bought another item for $1,238
I want status bar for 2014
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:51 am

Thanks again, superu. I don't want to project that far ahead on the website, because anything could happen between now and 2014.

However, here on the forums, I can say we have also met the quota for 2014, assuming current hosting rates stay the same. o.o
It's pretty crazy; there's really no need to upgrade at this point. Gonna have to spend this somehow... But Amazon has really been a great affiliate.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan