The New Voting Timer

Bug reports, question, and suggestions about ISML. Forum help and information is here, too.

How do you like the new timer?

I didn't notice it at all. (I take more than 5 minutes to vote.)
7%
It doesn't matter to me.
24%
It's slightly inconvenient but I can live with it.
59%
I don't like it because it wastes my time.
10%
I will never vote in ISML again.
No votes

Total votes: 41
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

The New Voting Timer

Post by Chocola » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:47 pm

As some of you may have noticed, we have a 300 seconds (5 minutes) timer in place every time you vote before you can click the submit button. The timer is there to help slow down multivoting and maybe provide more accurate results. How do you feel about this timer? Vote in the poll and also post your comments below~

Quick comments to the posts below:
-Multivoting is getting to be really bad. We don't release percent accepted anymore, but let's just say that for one match only 57% was accepted.
-You are not forced to stare at the timer, since you can browse the web in another tab and the timer will keep counting down.
-The timer was originally supposed to be implemented at the start of the regular season, but certain events which shall not be revealed made us reconsider.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Cassiopeia
Combat butler
Combat butler
Worships: Tennos "A-tan" Athena

Re: The New Voting Timer

Post by Cassiopeia » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:59 pm

I think it's a great idea. The waiting time is not a big deal, we simply have to open up the browser and do other things until the timer is over. I think Best moe already tried this before. Their timer was even longer, i think it was 30 minutes. 5 minutes may not be that effective, so maybe it's better to increase the length of the timer?
Image Credit to Awesome Hikarin <3 ISML2011 FINAL <3
sirwence
Arturian
Arturian
Badges:
Worships: Saber
2020 Female Favorite: Saber
2020 Male Favorite: Totsuka Saika
2019 Female Favorite: Saber
2018 Female Favorite: Saber
2018 Male Favorite: Totsuka Saika

Post by sirwence » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:06 pm

I would say 5 minutes is more then enough for now, I wouldnt' want to see it increased without extreme need~ I can bare with a 5 minute timer of course , if it cuts down on the MV'ing and maybe gets the accuracy up no problem and for the best. But I would wait before I started thinking to raise it.
Umi
Void mage
Void mage
Worships: Ichinose Kotomi

Post by Umi » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:32 pm

Cassiopeia wrote:I think it's a great idea. The waiting time is not a big deal, we simply have to open up the browser and do other things until the timer is over. I think Best moe already tried this before. Their timer was even longer, i think it was 30 minutes. 5 minutes may not be that effective, so maybe it's better to increase the length of the timer?
Hell no. I was slightly irked with the timer but it wasn't so bad since I only had to wait for around 1 min.
One of the main reasons why I don't bother with Best Moe was because of the timer. Can't imagine it if the timer is more than 5 mins. >.<
zmjhgvn
Kyuuketsuki
Kyuuketsuki

Post by zmjhgvn » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:42 pm

I just thought of voting for the last point on the poll to startle everyone but I'm not good at lying.
I think event though you have to wait pretty long you still have 24 hours to vote so you have plenty of time and also this is going to piss of the cheating auto-voters ;D
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:51 pm

I didn't care for it, but that is probably because I was waiting for two to three minutes for it to count down.
Space Opera
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:10 pm

The timer seemed to take a while. I'd finished my voting (no abstaining) and still had to wait a minute or two before I could submit. Several of them I had trouble choosing as well.

Not going to say good or bad yet, but found it something annoying to suddenly appear in the middle of this. Think it would have been better implemented at the very beginning or when the prelims finished.

Honestly don't think it's going to make a significant dent in the multi-voting though. If they're already spending extra time voting multiple times, what does a couple of extra minutes matter?
Last edited by Bastion on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie AB is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?
Confusing statements are fun :p
Medaka Kurokami wrote:People aren't meant to protect the rules, rules are meant to protect people
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... nner-1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]

ImageImage
*Puts Nagi behind the drums and Hinagiku at the front with the mike and a guitar*
Banners made by Midnight Jasper & Marinara
Kordosa wrote:I can just imagine all of the Hinagiku facepalming moments. That alone is worth it.
HnG chapter 333 pg 9 wrote:She (Hinagiku) realized an incredibly obvious but oft overlooked point: One had to read the manga before they could give their judgment of it.
ithekro wrote:Remember you aren't allowed to use your powers for evil.
With great power comes great responsibility
Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Tomoya Okazaki wrote:Can I beat you until you're motionless?
MegaTokyo wrote:Some of us are just a little more screwed up than others.
Saber (maglor) wrote:It is not how much, but it is where the king spends that tells what kind of king he is.
Rito wrote:Men don't decide whether they like someone or not based solely on breast size.
Kordosa wrote:Boy, I really need to learn to keep my questions to myself. It only makes things worse.
The lunatics around you are once again doing something to lower your opinion of human intelligence. ~Face Palm
Your sense of time tells you how much of your life has been wasted because you didn't take us at our word. ~Cracked.com
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Azu-nyan, Hina-chan, Aoyama-chan and Subaru-nyan-chan
Team Rocket Elite
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Bernkastel
Wish: dried plums to go with the tea.

Post by Team Rocket Elite » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:12 pm

The timer is too long and will potentially chase away voters. 5 minutes is too long. I could vote in every single match, write down every character I voted for, triple check my vote and still had time to spare. IIRC it was mentioned that a lot of people don't even vote in every arena and I'm guessing a lot of people don't bother reviewing their vote. When they see they have to wait 3-4 more minutes, I think a lot of people will cancel their vote or at the very least they are less likely to come back next time to vote again. Even the ones that do come back may eventually find voting to be too much of a pain to do.

The timer will also has the potential effect of causing a bias in the results. The voters being turned away may disproportionately hurt some characters over other characters. Since this is round robin this gives an advantage to characters who fight characters weakened by the timer this week over those who had to fight them last week. Even if you remove the timer for the Tuesday and Thursday matches, this damage is potentially irreversable. The important matches are on Tuesday and Thursday so if the timer is removed this probably won't have a large effect on who actually advances. However, today's match may have a large impact on Fantasy predictions. I'm one of the top scores right now so I'm clearly biased, but it is clearly unfair to those who are doing well to make a change that may suddenly cause the results to move in another direction.

Is the vote stuffing really getting that bad? I don't know the situation so I'm not sure if you guys were forced into doing this. However, you guys really couldn't wait one more week to try this on the far less important seeding matches next week?
A miracle that you believe in when you know it won't happen......... is hope.
Destiny
Osananajimi
Osananajimi

Post by Destiny » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:26 pm

I really don't care, and if it helps slowing down the multivoting by all means let's keep it.

At first I was a bit irked when I noticed it was so long, since when I finished voting in all of the arenas there were still ~3 minutes left. But, honestly, what's the problem? It's not as if we're being forced to sit and stare at the seconds ticking down. I just opened a couple of tabs to check the forums and now I'm going back to submit my form. If people really can't be bothered to wait until the timer ends and decide to stop voting just because of that, they need to learn some patience.
Motoyama
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Yyk Saigyouji

Post by Motoyama » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:27 pm

"It doesn't matter to me."

I found the timer amusing for the 200 seconds that I noticed it. I'm okay with it, if it stops multi-votes. I just start browsing other stuff and come back to it later to submit vote. Would prefer 200 seconds timer at max.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks for your responses so far. Please re-check the first post for some comments I made.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
ilkaid
Paladin
Paladin
Worships: Furude Hanyū
Wish: More free time

Post by ilkaid » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:54 pm

I didn't get bothered by it, because I'm usually doing other things while voting anyway, and if it cuts down multi-voting that can only be a good thing.
aly_angelflight
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Miyanaga Saki
Wish: A job to just land on my lap

Post by aly_angelflight » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:13 pm

As long as I'm able to use my computer and don't spend voting days doing homework until Iights out, I can live with it. Otherwise I will be unable to vote, as I would have voted using my phone, and it doesn't support the timer code--it just stays at 300 seconds perpetually. (It does the same thing to some animated GIFs, but that's beside the point.)
zmjhgvn
Kyuuketsuki
Kyuuketsuki

Post by zmjhgvn » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:21 pm

I don't think it'll chase voters away because these voters vote to get their saimoe in right? SO why would they let them down just because they have to wait a few minutes to wait?

But I also have my doubts about the method because if the multi-voters don't feel botherd by it they still could manage to vote over 280 times (based on 24 multiplied by 60 is 1440 ; 1440 divided by 5 is 288) but the problem is what prevents the event from multi-voting? I mean IP-Addresses can be changed or you can use proxies etc.
So a captcha is useless too because it buys just another few seconds...

Another question:
Is anything in the web that is like the ISML cheat-proof? I doubt it because even if one would say it requires a special code to submit your vote that only you know that it is yours no one would know how to generate so many codes and distribute them to the board members + not every voter happens to be a board member am I right?
So even such a sisyphuswork wouldn't help.

Is a superbrain nearby? Maybe Kami-sama can help us ;D

(If anyone feels offended by parts or the whole post: It wasn't my intention I just wanted to summarize analyze and fail :D)
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:26 pm

I know that some of the vote changes will mean I won't be able to vote if I'm on a trip, since the voting fuction does not work with my cel phone anymore. (The abstain counter would not count down it remains at 27, and while the vote button can be pressed, there is no indication that the vote was taken since it never leaves the voting screen). If the timer interferes with some newer models, it might deny some voters that have only been using cel phones to vote.

But then I can't access this site with my cel phone either. Whatever code is used locks it up so its internet program crashes.
Space Opera
hinakatbklyn
Incubator
Incubator
Melon Pan: 55

Post by hinakatbklyn » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Usually it takes me a while to get all or most of my votes out. First my favorites, then fantasy, finally anyone else I missed. I ended up finished with a minute to spare, so I figured I would double and triple check before time was up.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:03 pm

@zmjhgvn: Although we can't reveal how we do votecheck, I can assure you that the timer does not replace votecheck. If it cuts down illegal votes from 1000 to 280, then all that means is less time for us, which will be a definite plus. We will still track down those 280.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]
Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
2020 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2020 Male Favorite: Ishigami Yū
2019 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
2019 Male Favorite: Kyon
2018 Female Favorite: Rem
2018 Male Favorite: Roy Mustang
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki

Post by Toady » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:14 pm

If it reduces cheating, I'm totally for it... It doesn't bother me that much and I think it's the same for people who vote everytime. It could be bad for occasionnal voters, but not so much. I think that the best thing to know is to compare the number of votes of Day 4 with Day 1 to 3, it could be interesting...
Much stuff (but Chibaka has more)Show
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi
My Secret Santa is awesome :3

Hikarin <3
Thank you Secret Santa 2016 :3
zmjhgvn
Kyuuketsuki
Kyuuketsuki

Post by zmjhgvn » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:15 pm

That's good to hear! expand it to 10 minutes :onion3:
then it's just a max of 144 ^^
aly_angelflight
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Miyanaga Saki
Wish: A job to just land on my lap

Post by aly_angelflight » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Such newer models include the htc Droid Eris. ^^;

We could copy the system KSM used this year. The timer would be long at first, but routine voters/visitors will eventually be able to vote with no waiting time. Another thing: Big Brother Santa Claus the cookies are watching you! They know if you've voted or not, and if you erase them... well, you have to start the timer all over again from that massively high number. :twisted: