Nominations and other events occurring before the Main Tournament
Cassiopeia
Combat butler
Combat butler
Worships: Tennos "A-tan" Athena
Melon Pan: 50

Re: ISML 2011 Nomination Period

Post by Cassiopeia » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:36 am

Team Rocket Elite wrote:Nomination Tally update. Now up to 57 nominators total. We now have 79 characters with 3 or more recorded nominations and another 44 with 2 nominations.
Top 123Show
Ika Musume - 21

Kuroneko - 19

Victorique de Blois - 17

Eucliwood Hellscythe - 15

Merry Nightmare - 13

Furude Rika - 12
Kaname Madoka - 12

Kousaka Kirino - 11

Taneshima Poplar - 10

Akemi Homura - 9
Elsea de Lute Irma - 9
Ichinose Kotomi - 9
Kasugano Sora - 9
Kuronuma Sawako - 9
Nanasaki Ai - 9

Inami Mihiru - 8
Shiomiya Shiori - 8

Isurugi Mio - 7
Kawashima Ami - 7
Morishima Haruka - 7
Suigintou - 7
Suiseiseki - 7
Togame - 7

Ayuzawa Misaki - 6
Hiiragi Tsukasa - 6
Index Liborum Prohibitorum - 6
Nakagawa Kanon - 6
Nymph - 6
Yuuno Arashiko - 6

Asakura Ryoko - 5
Ayatsuji Tsukasa - 5
Black Rock Shooter - 5
Celty Sturluson - 5
Ibuki Fuuko - 5
Kawasumi Mai - 5
Kinomoto Sakura - 5
Sawachika Eri - 5
Shiina Minatsu - 5
Stocking - 5
Tamura Manami - 5
Tsukimiya Ayu - 5

Alice Carroll - 4
Amamiya Yuuko - 4
Aragaki Ayase - 4
Haruna - 4
Hinamori Amu - 4
Kiriya Nozomi - 4
Konjiki no Yami - 4
Louise Valliere - 4
Minase Nayuki - 4
Mizunashi Akari - 4
Nessa - 4
Nishizawa Ayumu - 4
Okazaki Ushio - 4
Shinku - 4
Yuuki Mikan - 4

Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel - 3
Ayase Yue - 3
Evangeline A. K. McDowell - 3
Hiiragi - 3
Housen Elis - 3
Ikaros - 3
Knee-Socks - 3
Kushieda Minori - 3
Lucy Heartfillia - 3
Nakata Sae - 3
Nino - 3
Ookami Ryouko - 3
Rose - 3
Ryugu Rena - 3
Sawatari Makoto - 3
Shindou Chihiro - 3
Suminoya Kureha - 3
Sunohara Mei - 3
Tachibana Miya - 3
Tomoe Mami - 3
Tsuruya - 3
Yuasa Hiromi - 3
Zakuro - 3

Alicia Testarossa - 2
Amakusa Shino - 2
Amano Touko - 2
Arashiyama Hotori - 2
Fang Linyin - 2
Ferris Eris - 2
Fujioka Haruhi - 2
Futaba Kon - 2
Haibara Ai - 2
Hanato Kobato - 2
Hattori Junko - 2
Hildegarda - 2
Hime - 2
Hitei - 2
Isara Gunther - 2
Iwasawa Masami - 2
Kajiwara Sora - 2
Kamio Misuzu - 2
Kanu Unchou - 2
Kirishiki Sunako - 2
Kirishima Shouko - 2
Kousaka Tamaki - 2
Lina Inverse - 2
Misaka Shiori - 2
Miyazaki Nodoka - 2
Momo Belia Deviluke - 2
Panty - 2
Ryougi Shiki - 2
Sakura Kyoko - 2
Sanada Yukimura - 2
Sanya V. Litvyak - 2
Scanty - 2
Segawa Izumi - 2
Shihou Matsuri - 2
Shinonono Houki - 2
Sonozaki Mion - 2
Sorami Kanata - 2
Soryu Asuka Langley - 2
Takahara Ayumi - 2
Tanamachi Kaoru - 2
Teletha Testarossa - 2
Tina Foster - 2
Tsukamoto Yakumo - 2
Ushiromiya Ange - 2
6+ and maybe even the 5s are probably safe. More nominations means a better placement, though so it may still be worth throwing a nomination to the characters at the top. The characters in the 4 or less category could still use some help. If a character you like isn't on this list yet, it may be time to start rallying for support. There's still plenty of time left to go in the nomination phase.

I wouldn't be too reliant on that data though. Voters from ISML forum and Animesuki forum are just a small representation of the whole voting population. Top-tier characters will show similar levels of strength in the actual vote, but we expected that anyways.

Characters that are receiving more votes in this chart are still in the range of one digit compared to others that are falling behind. That could be easily overturned by voters from outside. But I suppose this data could indicate the preference of English speaking voting population, although I wouldn't rely on it too much due to the reasons i discussed above.

I will be actually pleased if the actual votes turn out to be this way. Most of the characters I nominated are in this chart. :)
Image Credit to Awesome Hikarin <3 ISML2011 FINAL <3
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2020 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2020 Male Favorite: Ishigami Yū
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
Wish: My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:37 am

I have a question: by when do we see the results of the nominations?
loudmouth
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Wish: To go to heaven

Post by loudmouth » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:45 am

12 hours after polls close like usual?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:09 am

Do you really think we can count all the nominations in different languages in 12 hours? 0.o
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Team Rocket Elite
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Bernkastel
Wish: dried plums to go with the tea.

Post by Team Rocket Elite » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:56 am

KholdStare88 wrote:Do you really think we can count all the nominations in different languages in 12 hours? 0.o
We have a lot of faith in your abilities. =D
A miracle that you believe in when you know it won't happen......... is hope.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:59 am

KholdStare88 wrote:Do you really think we can count all the nominations in different languages in 12 hours? 0.o
That would be amusing to see, but we understand unlikely.
Would a more equalized accounting be more to taste? A week of nominations, so a week, maybe a week and a half before we see results be more in tune with the reality?
Of course, there is the fact that even now, you could begin counting nominations, so maybe half a week to a week length?
Jamie AB is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?
Confusing statements are fun :p
Medaka Kurokami wrote:People aren't meant to protect the rules, rules are meant to protect people
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... nner-1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]

ImageImage
*Puts Nagi behind the drums and Hinagiku at the front with the mike and a guitar*
Banners made by Midnight Jasper & Marinara
Kordosa wrote:I can just imagine all of the Hinagiku facepalming moments. That alone is worth it.
HnG chapter 333 pg 9 wrote:She (Hinagiku) realized an incredibly obvious but oft overlooked point: One had to read the manga before they could give their judgment of it.
ithekro wrote:Remember you aren't allowed to use your powers for evil.
With great power comes great responsibility
Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Tomoya Okazaki wrote:Can I beat you until you're motionless?
MegaTokyo wrote:Some of us are just a little more screwed up than others.
Saber (maglor) wrote:It is not how much, but it is where the king spends that tells what kind of king he is.
Rito wrote:Men don't decide whether they like someone or not based solely on breast size.
Kordosa wrote:Boy, I really need to learn to keep my questions to myself. It only makes things worse.
The lunatics around you are once again doing something to lower your opinion of human intelligence. ~Face Palm
Your sense of time tells you how much of your life has been wasted because you didn't take us at our word. ~Cracked.com
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Azu-nyan, Hina-chan, Aoyama-chan and Subaru-nyan-chan
Miku
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Wish: Someday can step onto Hockenheimring or Nürburgring to shout for local racing drivers!

Post by Miku » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 pm

That would be quite a difficult and awesome work! Maybe we've got to wait for several days?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImage
Elizabeth F. Beurling (Silver Fox) From: Maritime State Britannia
Tim
Befriender
Befriender
Wish: Shana be one of the happiest girls in the world.

Post by Tim » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Team Rocket Elite wrote:
We have a lot of faith in your abilities. =D
Me too.I know you will live up to our expectation. :P
How can't you like this girl?Image
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Post by Crisu » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:42 pm

tl;dr -- Expect it within 3 to 7 days.

Because this is not a typical voting round, we will not be ready with the results in 12 hours. In addition to standard votechecking procedures, where multivotes and other exploitative submissions are filtered out, we have to consolidate all the different variations in character names and series titles. And then finally tally them up.

With a normal round it's either GIRL A, GIRL B, or ABSTAIN -- three choices. But on the nomination form, there's no way of telling how many ways somebody's name can be (accidentally) misspelled or interpreted. And KholdStare already mentioned foreign language submissions (which are totally okay; we expect a lot of those in an international tournament of course) that add to the complexity of the counting process.

You saw from last year that each round would get a few thousand votes. So far we've collected roughly 4000 nominations. Not everybody fills in all 12 blanks, so let's say the average per nomination is 8. 4000 x 8 equals 32,000 character names and 32,000 series titles. The Find/Replace tool is very helpful in our spreadsheet software, but we still have to look for all those variations in names.

Because the list of eligible characters is nearly impossible to count accurately, we can't do something like drop-down menus where you just select the character you want. Such a list will probably be thousands of lines in length, anyway, which won't be fun at all for you to search through. The same applies to an "auto-complete" system, where we would have to know every single person's name beforehand in order to list for you names that start with "Fuji" or "Kou" etc. Doing a "suggestions" list like Google does would be unfair, as that would favor some characters over others.

Arcion is correct that we are already counting the ones already received, so we can save time after nominations close, but the rate that they come in is faster than our processing rate (since the staff is not constantly available whereas people can nominate during any hour of the day this week). So it will end up being about 3 days, with the worst case scenario being one week. We don't want to take longer than that, because we need time to prepare for the first round of Preliminaries, too. And that involves getting avatars ready, character biographies written, and programming the polls.

:)
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Cassiopeia
Combat butler
Combat butler

Post by Cassiopeia » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Crisu wrote:tl;dr -- Expect it within 3 to 7 days.

Because this is not a typical voting round, we will not be ready with the results in 12 hours. In addition to standard votechecking procedures, where multivotes and other exploitative submissions are filtered out, we have to consolidate all the different variations in character names and series titles. And then finally tally them up.

With a normal round it's either GIRL A, GIRL B, or ABSTAIN -- three choices. But on the nomination form, there's no way of telling how many ways somebody's name can be (accidentally) misspelled or interpreted. And KholdStare already mentioned foreign language submissions (which are totally okay; we expect a lot of those in an international tournament of course) that add to the complexity of the counting process.

You saw from last year that each round would get a few thousand votes. So far we've collected roughly 4000 nominations. Not everybody fills in all 12 blanks, so let's say the average per nomination is 8. 4000 x 8 equals 32,000 character names and 32,000 series titles. The Find/Replace tool is very helpful in our spreadsheet software, but we still have to look for all those variations in names.

Because the list of eligible characters is nearly impossible to count accurately, we can't do something like drop-down menus where you just select the character you want. Such a list will probably be thousands of lines in length, anyway, which won't be fun at all for you to search through. The same applies to an "auto-complete" system, where we would have to know every single person's name beforehand in order to list for you names that start with "Fuji" or "Kou" etc. Doing a "suggestions" list like Google does would be unfair, as that would favor some characters over others.

Arcion is correct that we are already counting the ones already received, so we can save time after nominations close, but the rate that they come in is faster than our processing rate (since the staff is not constantly available whereas people can nominate during any hour of the day this week). So it will end up being about 3 days, with the worst case scenario being one week. We don't want to take longer than that, because we need time to prepare for the first round of Preliminaries, too. And that involves getting avatars ready, character biographies written, and programming the polls.

wow already 4000 nominations? :o I really appreciate you guys taking time to organize this competition each year, although you don't get any material gains out of it. The work load seems to be getting larger each day. Maybe you guys need to recruit more staff to accommodate the increase in voting population.

But yeah it is very difficult to recruit reliable staff, which I also experienced managing online communities.

take it easy and thanks again!
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:47 pm

We would like to recruit some more staff, but since IRC is our main mode of communication, we would have to expect you to be on there every day. :P
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:01 am

KholdStare88 wrote:We would like to recruit some more staff, but since IRC is our main mode of communication, we would have to expect you to be on there every day. :P
Yeah guys, you need resolve to work 36 hours a day if you want to become a staff member. I mean, look at what ISML did to KS. :frown:

And I think it killed Killuan too.
SpoilerShow
loudmouth
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Wish: To go to heaven

Post by loudmouth » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:07 am

haha sry about the 12 hour suggestion. I didn't stop to think about it :oops:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2020 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
Wish: My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:26 am

Crisu wrote:tl;dr -- Expect it within 3 to 7 days.

Thank you for doing so much for us. Maybe I should help out. Hopefully, one more extra hand could get the job done faster.
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]
Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
2020 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2019 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
2019 Male Favorite: Kyon
2018 Female Favorite: Rem
2018 Male Favorite: Roy Mustang
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki

Post by Toady » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:35 am

I finally decided to vote !

Much stuff (but Chibaka has more)Show
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi
My Secret Santa is awesome :3

Hikarin <3
Thank you Secret Santa 2016 :3
Cassiopeia
Combat butler
Combat butler

Post by Cassiopeia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:36 am

KholdStare88 wrote:We would like to recruit some more staff, but since IRC is our main mode of communication, we would have to expect you to be on there every day. :P
Which positions are you looking for?
ezboi
Bard
Bard

Post by ezboi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:43 am

too many hard decisions and i may yet regret my choices x.x
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
- l、゙ ~ヽ
- じしf_, )ノ This is Kitty. Copy Kitty to your signature to help her achieve the world domination.
Team Rocket Elite
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Bernkastel
Wish: dried plums to go with the tea.

Post by Team Rocket Elite » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:04 am

It took 5 days to come up with my nominations. Hopefully some of them will be in the 85th to 95th place range for total nominations.
My NominationsShow
Presea Combatir - Tales of Symphonia
Asakura Ryoko - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Tsuruya - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Kurata Sayuri - Kanon
Minase Nayuki - Kanon
Sawatari Makoto - Kanon
Misaka Shiori - Kanon
Kirishima Shouko - Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
Astraea - Sora no Otoshimono
Haruna - Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
Hecate - Shakugan no Shana
Yoshida Kazumi - Shakugan no Shana
A miracle that you believe in when you know it won't happen......... is hope.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:18 am

Of course, we have to consider people who cannot read:

The rest of the file is basically this.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Kiopi
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Worships: Mari Illustrious Makinami

Post by Kiopi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:33 am

lol @ herp derp entries
Supporting:
  • Bakemonogatari: Oshino Shinobu ♦ Sengoku Nadeko ♦ Senjōgahara Hitagi
  • K-On!: Akiyama Mio ♦ Nakano Azusa ♦ Hirasawa Yui