Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

[RATE] 4. Gintama

Post by Chocola » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:05 am

Welcome to the ever-so-exciting filler event between Nominations and Preliminaries! For 2012, we will be discussing the anime represented in our Preliminary Round. There are several goals that we hope to achieve through this event. For those who already watched the anime, they can offer good insight to each other about the anime. And for those who haven't, they can take the opportunity to review feedback and see if they are interested in seeing the anime in the future. Comments are optional, although we suggest that you leave concise, general comments and not an essay.

Please give short comments about each categories without going to specific spoilers. Revealing information from non-anime sources is prohibited.

Here's the format I want you guys to use, so please stick to it because I'll be using it to give an average for everyone. When the poll ends, you may still rate but the forum average may update. Also, please don't use the four point scale! If you really think the story is bad, don't give it 20/30, give it 10/30.

Anime: Gintama (including the first 40 episodes of season two!)

+Story: 0/30 - comments
+Characters: 0/25 - comments
+Animation: 0/15 - comments
+Music: 0/10 - comments
+Enjoyment: 0/20 - comments

+Total: 0/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
+Episodes Watched: 0/241 (201 + 40, no OVAs)

You can interpret the categories however you like, but if you need help, here's a rubric of some sort:
explanation of categoriesShow
+Story: For most purposes, this is essentially plot. Anime where plot is not of main importance will still have a story, so you may rate on setting, premise, symbolism, or just how well the events flow into a...story.

+Characters: The main part of this category will be character development, although there are other aspects to think about such as likability, uniqueness, balance, interactions, dialogue, or even seiyuu casting and performance.

+Animation: This category consists of character design and animation fluidity, but you can include your own criteria -- maybe a certain scene is executed very well or the artistic techniques are special. If all fails, this is where you rate how moe characters are.

+Music: The reason this category is worth so little is that many anime watchers do not play close attention to music. In fact, we sort of take background music for granted, so it's okay just to rate OP/ED. But for some anime, music can play a huge role, good or bad.

+Enjoyment: Give us your subjective opinion of how you like the anime. If you don't know, rate it on if you would rewatch it or not.
If you dropped or haven't finished the anime, then you can still choose to rate what you have seen. If you haven't watched the anime, then perhaps you should not rate, but still tell us why you decided not to watch the anime (if there's a really good reason why). Don't pass this over as something complicated and time-consuming, however, because you should take between 1-5 minutes to do these! Any more and you risk including spoilers or including others' opinions that you may have read. We want this to be purely what you think, almost instinctively, because I believe it best reflects your own opinion.

Reward: 1 cookie

Let the fun begin!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
shiraoky
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: the rwby ladies <3
Wish: more time to laze around and have fun!

Re: [RATE] 4. Gintama

Post by shiraoky » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:18 am

+Story: 23/30 - I've heard about Gintama before, and the plot itself seems interesting, however the episodes that I watched were filler episodes, and those were just hilarious.
+Characters: 21/25 - I can't say much, since I didn't watch a lot of Gintama, but some of the characters were really funny xD And their different personalities are very entertaining.
+Animation: 12/15 - It's nothing bad, yet nothing special either.
+Music: 7/10 - The music is pretty good. I remember liking this one OP, but I don't remember which number it was. :/
+Enjoyment: 17/20 - It's high, but that's because the only reason I watched part of Gintama was because my sister wanted to show me specific episodes, and those were the funny filler episodes. x3

+Total: 80/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
+Episodes Watched: 3-ish :P/241 (201 + 40, no OVAs)
Thanks to M-J for the beautiful sigs<3~!
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: Erika Sendou
Melon Pan: 181
Wish: a kookie?

Post by kanohistorm » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:15 am

+Story: 23/30 - I mean, is more comedy than having an actual plot. But Gin-san and co can really bring out the laughs. Their Arcs are well done as well.
+Characters: 20/25 - Every character is unique, interesting and likeable (aside from Prince Baka) although the show really likes to emphasis their 'pettiness' too much, so they lost points there.
+Animation: 12/15 - Good animation that isn't afraid to reveal secrets just for the laughs.
+Music: 8/10 - Their music is good, and OP/ED scenes are well placed.
+Enjoyment: 18/20 - When you need a laugh, this is the place to go to!

+Total: 81/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
+Episodes Watched: 120~150/241 (201 + 40, no OVAs)

*recommended
spoiler alert :3
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:18 am

Anime: Gintama (including the first 40 episodes of season two!)

+Story: 14/30 - It has its humor, but there is lack of overall plot and forced events to restore status quo
+Characters: 21/25 - There is interesting diversity of characters, each with its own charms. Still many feels like having characteristics that seems to be deliberately inserted to help maintain status quo, and character development is often suppressed as well. I think this series may need bit more serious alternate universe spin off, as many of the characters are too good.
+Animation: 13/15 - They spent good money on this. They aren't afraid to change things when it suits them
+Music: 6/10 - Some of it is quiet good. Nothing that can be a show stopper though, unless there is one I missed
+Enjoyment: 8/20 - This type of comedy, highly successful in its own way, just isn't my cup of tea. I have seen first 10 volumes of manga as well, thus can say it has its moments, even for I, but often the whole series seems to lack substance and depth for me to get things other than light laugh which gets tiresome after a while. I may enjoy it more if I decide to give the anime series more time to grow upon me, but what I have seen so far isn't enjoyable enough for me to invest on a series that will be more than twice the length of Legend of Galactic Heroes.

+Total: 62/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
+Episodes Watched: 12/241
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 0
Wish: Miracles

Post by RegalStar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:39 pm

+Story: 21/30 - Well, it has essentially no real ongoing plot as far as I know. The setting itself isn't too bad, but there's nothing too groundbreaking about it.
+Characters: 20/25 - The characters are fairly distinct, and I liked most of them, but a lot of them come off as jerkassish quite a bit of time.
+Animation: 11/15
+Music: 6/10 - Nothing memorable, for good or for bad.
+Enjoyment: 16/20 - It's a comedy, and I love comedies. As far as I'm concerned, though, all the episodes are more of the same and I don't have time to sit through 240+ episodes of it.

+Total: 74/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
+Episodes Watched: 20~30/241 (201 + 40, no OVAs)
Yakuman
Berserker
Berserker
Worships: Kurumi-sama *.*
Wish: more

Post by Yakuman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:24 pm

+Story: 22/30
It's a comedic shounen parody so the main factor is humor and Gintama undoubtedly has it in the right way. I haven't seen much episodes but I still missed a coherent plot and as far as I know, the story consists of tonnes of smaller arcs.

+Characters: 23/25
I enjoyed watching the characters I've encountered, I liked most of them so I'm not afraid to give a high score.

+Animation: 9/15
It didn't really catch my attention to be honest.

+Music: 8/10
I've heard most of the music from my friends. The soundtrack is great, but the openings and endings are not really my cup of tea except a few of them. They are not bad though.

+Enjoyment: 13/20
I enjoyed watching the series but something keeps me from marathoning it seriously. It might be the lack of the overarching plot, maybe the amounts of episodes or... I don't know.

+Total: 75/100
+Episodes Watched: 15/241
Hurry up and make a contract with me! ◕‿‿◕ ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
defeated but not forgotten favoritesShow
ImageImageImage
Materials used in the sig are courtesy of Marinara, ppizzapie, Hikari-chan and Annabloem
JLoable91
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Izayoi Sakuya
Wish: Gotta nom 'em all!~

Post by JLoable91 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Not watched it yet... not really planning to do in the near future (it's just has too many episodes :s)

But I do want to ask: Does Gintama deserve the #1 spot in Top anime (MAL)?
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 pm

I would think that not many has watched all 241+ episodes of Gintama. So even if you dropped it some time ago, please post share your ratings like the people above you have done. :D
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 0
Wish: Miracles

Post by RegalStar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:57 pm

JLoable91 wrote:Not watched it yet... not really planning to do in the near future (it's just has too many episodes :s)

But I do want to ask: Does Gintama deserve the #1 spot in Top anime (MAL)?
IMHO high ranks animes represent "safe" choices; that is, they'll likely be at least enjoyable to watch for most people. In that regard I'd say that Gintama does live up to that spot somewhat.
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: Erika Sendou
Melon Pan: 181
Wish: a kookie?

Post by kanohistorm » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:22 pm

some of arcs are really well done though. IE: shinsengami crisis arc

and watch the episodes involving the shogun! (warning: do not watch when everyone else is asleep, you WILL wake them!)
spoiler alert :3
loudmouth
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Wish: To go to heaven

Post by loudmouth » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:52 pm

+Story: 19/30
When it's on, it's on. When it's not, it's not. The good parts are great, the bad parts are meh
+Characters: 16/25
I like the main cast well enough, some of the side characters can get pretty annoying
+Animation: 9/15
Again, the good parts are great, the bad parts are meh
The opening and ending songs are awesome, the soundtrack isn't too bad
+Enjoyment: 14/20
Gintama is like two different shows in one. The epic Shounen style story arcs are awesome, but the comedy is hit or miss for me.

+Total: 66/100
+Episodes Watched: 30/241 (1st arc of Gintama' & a bit of the beginning of the first season. Dropped)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chikara Icy
Mad scientist
Mad scientist
Wish: A better life

Post by Chikara Icy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:44 am

Planned. But,too many episodes, I haven't watched it yet. -_-
xcrossfacekillahx
Incubator
Incubator
Worships: Rosario Cross
Wish: A very good tournament and more cookies. Moehood to reign

Post by xcrossfacekillahx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:54 am

+Story: 15/30
The bad parts can be forgotten but the comedy is the fun part.
+Characters: 15/25
Characters can be likeable or can be annoying. I still ended up liking the side characters.
Nothing really special but they had an effort to make it good.
+Music: 6/10
The opening and ending songs are awesome however the OST is pretty much meh.
+Enjoyment: 12/20
If you focus on the small arcs, you might think it's generic but focusing more on the comedy might be the right thing to watch.

+Total: 59/100
+Episodes Watched: 156/241(didn't bother to finish up to 201 so yeah)
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem
Worships: Moriya Suwako's hat
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Eugeo
2018 Female Favorite: Yamada Elf
2018 Male Favorite: Willem Kmetsch
Wish: A third season of Spice and Wolf.

Post by Kordosa » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:04 am

I haven't watched this series.

As I stated here, starting a new long-running shounen series isn't something I'm too keen on. I can't even keep up with the one I'm supposed to be watching. However, I am rather intrigued by the juxtaposition of feudal era Japan and the presence of aliens, though (and the fact that the series is rated so high on MAL, meaning it probably works). I might be persuaded to give it a try, but the issue of keeping up with it is still a problem.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
shiraoky wrote:I'm always squeeing lol.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
imbehindyou
Time traveler
Time traveler
Worships: Rena
Wish: Becoming Pokemon Master.  Wishes for: Becoming teh Master Hater.  Wishes for: James' Victreebel & Mime Jr. Secret Identity: I am a robot. 

Post by imbehindyou » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:05 pm

I only read the manga.
HeartClover
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Worships: Audrey Hepburn
Wish: adventure

Post by HeartClover » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Another anime I haven't watched...
Thanks to my lovely Emjayfor the sig~
Cross
Assassin
Assassin
Worships: Madoka
Wish: me to be in an anime.
All-time Favorite:
Tachibana Kanade

Post by Cross » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Haven't watched.
It seems that Gintama is not popular to ISML forum members.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Support ISML + My All-time FavoriteShow
ImageImage
Umi
Void mage
Void mage
Worships: Ichinose Kotomi

Post by Umi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Story: 23/30
The parodies of popular culture are amusing.
The plot is also decent although it tends to get too episodic sometimes.
Characters: 21/25
Gintoki and Kagura are great! I lol-ed everytime Sadaharu tried to bite people.
Supporting characters are decent too.
Animation: 10/15
Suitable for its genre. I love the multitude of facial expressions on Gintoki.
Music: 6/10
The OP was cool. Didn't pay attention to the bgm.
Enjoyment: 15/20
Based on what little I've seen, the gags in Gintama were enjoyable and hilarious.
However the thought of marathoning this puts me off a little.

Total: 75/100
Episodes Watched: 21/241
Jack_Rav
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Wish: For both Kanade and Yuki to win a necklace this year. Wish granted! <3

Post by Jack_Rav » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:59 pm

+Story: 17/30 - A comedy series depends very much on the setting in which the characters are placed (and of course the jokes...). The setting here is decidedly absurd in nature, but suits the anime well enough. Reading the synopsis about samurais being banned from wielding swords (if I remember correctly) intrigued me enough to attempt to watch all the episodes. (It ultimately failed, though)

+Characters: 13/25 - Gintoki actually has some decent moments in the episodes I watched; laid-back most of the time but steps up if necessary. KugiRie, as Kagura, in a role which doesn't annoy me quite so much as her lolitsun archetype. I forgot the other main characters name; not a good thing since it wasn't that long ago I watched it. A side character armed with a bazooka was funny when he was on screen; needed more.
+Animation: 6/15 - Decidedly poor, as is likely to be the case for the more long-running series.
+Music: 5/10 - utterly unmemorable. (But I tend not to remember many anime OSTs/OPs etc, unless I really like them)
+Enjoyment: 9/20 - The jokes fell flat most of the time, and never had me laughing out loud. It was a drag to get to 20 episodes, continuing out of stubbornness to see if the formula improved. It didn't. I don't think they make comedies like they do in England. (But see Nichijou for an example of awesome anime comedy)

+Total: 50/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating) (Sounds about right, based on overall impression)
+Episodes Watched: 20/241 (201 + 40, no OVAs)
Reminder: Start of November = ARIA. Hahi~
Alwerien
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:
Worships: Patchouli Knowledge
Wish: ...i-it's a secret.

Post by Alwerien » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:16 pm

..i-it's not like I gave it a high rating cos you are all too much into moe to like shounen like Gintama.

+Story: 22/30
Let's see...Gintama ultimately doesn't have much of story. In the beginning (and they kept recapping that >_>' ) there actually was the story..and I have to say I found those eps the most boring out of all. So the actual story while not a bad idea is quite weak. Besides that, the series is quite episodic - usually 2-3 eps long miniarcs or longer mostly separate arcs. I have to say, most of the longer arcs (besides the beginning) are quite well done and I just had to marathon the whole arc when I started it.

+Characters: 22/25
Gintoki is really awesome character, mainly because of Sugita. I love Kagura-chan and Sadaharu as well. Shinpachi is there..well...for his role. But Gintama as long shounen series tend to have has many side characters. Most notable would be the Shinsengumi characters who are just beyond awesome, especially Hijikata and Okita. Another awesome character would be Zura..I mean Katsura from Joui. There are other notable characters like Takasugu, Kamui, Tsukuyo, Tatsuma, Kyuubei-chan..and lots others. So yes, there is a large number of awesome characters. As with every shounen though, the large number of characters also means smaller space for character development which is the case with Gintama as well. But as Gintama doesn't have a proper story it moves along with, it's not that needed and it's not completely lacking either.

For the length of the series, it's not bad. Well...except the episodes where it's static background and seiyuu talk about how they went over budget. Most of the time, superb animation isn't really needed... However, some eps were quite epic.

I have loved most of the OPs and EDs. It's probably the only long shounen series I have watched (besides Fairy Tail) where I rarely skipped OP/ED. Don't really remember BGM much though......mostly concentrating on seiyuu goodness.

+Enjoyment: 19/20
I have to say I love Gintama. Have yet to finish it (putting it off cos I refuse to watch HorribleSubs and oh god Rumbel is beyond slow) but so far I have enjoyed most of the episodes. Great seiyuu, great humor. As someone else mentioned, the jokes may be hit and miss but I found myself to be quite compatible with most of it. There were moments when I didn't....but that was very rare.
I have tried Gintama' (2 episodes lol) but I would like to finish the previous seasons first.

+Total: 82/100
Bishies yummy.
+Episodes Watched: 159/241 (157+2 of new)
Friends share your interests. REAL friends share your perversions~
Is it bishie tournament yet? No? Gee, what did you wake me up for?