[RATE] 8. Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

Nominations and other events occurring before the Main Tournament

Have you watched Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 am

No, I haven't.
25%
Just a bit of it.
19%
Completed it!
56%

Total votes: 32
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

[RATE] 8. Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

Post by Chocola » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:08 am

Welcome to the ever-so-exciting filler event between Nominations and Preliminaries! For 2012, we will be discussing the anime represented in our Preliminary Round. There are several goals that we hope to achieve through this event. For those who already watched the anime, they can offer good insight to each other about the anime. And for those who haven't, they can take the opportunity to review feedback and see if they are interested in seeing the anime in the future. Comments are optional, although we suggest that you leave concise, general comments and not an essay.

Please give short comments about each categories without going to specific spoilers. Revealing information from non-anime sources is prohibited.

Here's the format I want you guys to use, so please stick to it because I'll be using it to give an average for everyone. When the poll ends, you may still rate but the forum average may update. Also, please don't use the four point scale! If you really think the story is bad, don't give it 20/30, give it 10/30.

Anime: Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha (1st + A's + StrikerS)

+Story: 0/30 - comments
+Characters: 0/25 - comments
+Animation: 0/15 - comments
+Music: 0/10 - comments
+Enjoyment: 0/20 - comments

+Total: 0/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
+Episodes Watched: 0/72 (13 + 13 + 26)*
*If you've watched the MOVIE but not the first season, then give yourself 13 episodes anyways. If you've watched both, then you can pat yourself on the back.

IMPORTANT: You need to state how many episodes you've watched or else your rating will count for less!

You can interpret the categories however you like, but if you need help, here's a rubric of some sort:
explanation of categoriesShow
+Story: For most purposes, this is essentially plot. Anime where plot is not of main importance will still have a story, so you may rate on setting, premise, symbolism, or just how well the events flow into a...story.

+Characters: The main part of this category will be character development, although there are other aspects to think about such as likability, uniqueness, balance, interactions, dialogue, or even seiyuu casting and performance.

+Animation: This category consists of character design and animation fluidity, but you can include your own criteria -- maybe a certain scene is executed very well or the artistic techniques are special. If all fails, this is where you rate how moe characters are.

+Music: The reason this category is worth so little is that many anime watchers do not play close attention to music. In fact, we sort of take background music for granted, so it's okay just to rate OP/ED. But for some anime, music can play a huge role, good or bad.

+Enjoyment: Give us your subjective opinion of how you like the anime. If you don't know, rate it on if you would rewatch it or not.
If you dropped or haven't finished the anime, then you can still choose to rate what you have seen. If you haven't watched the anime, then perhaps you should not rate, but still tell us why you decided not to watch the anime (if there's a really good reason why). Don't pass this over as something complicated and time-consuming, however, because you should take between 1-5 minutes to do these! Any more and you risk including spoilers or including others' opinions that you may have read. We want this to be purely what you think, almost instinctively, because I believe it best reflects your own opinion.

Reward: 1 cookie

Let the fun begin!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Re: [RATE] 8. Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

Post by maglor » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:41 am

Let it rain fires and brimstones

+Story: 16/30 - Standard and repetitive. There are some good bits here and there, and overall plot progression wasn't too bad. While the story plot flows naturally, my own enjoyment is hampered by the fact that too many aspects reminded me of anime series made before MSLN.

The starting plot is very reminiscent of Card Captor Sakura. Sympathetic enemy group who later becomes allies was a theme used repeatedly in various 80s and 90s anime. If you read some of Clamp's manga, you would have easily foreseen what will happen with Hayate's group and the book in A's series. As for Strikers , how the antagonist secured such a large amount of resource is very murky, and their motives are still bit puzzling. Here are some examples of anime series Lyrical Nanoha likely have drawn its inspirations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutie_Honey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_M%C3%B6bius" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When the series kept reminding you of plots from previous anime series, it is my opinion that the series has a problem. However, there were moments when I thought it was nice seeing all the hard work characters put into making themselves better.

+Characters: 17/25 - Mostly types I have seen in the past. I do like the Wolkenritter members. Nanoha felt like standard mahou shoujo. Fate Testarossa may have interesting background, but if you saw Clamp's manga or other anime series in 80s and 90s, it's not that different. If they wanted to make it bit more realistic, they should had Fate being brainwashed periodically, or had Precia use some carrots occasionally. Hayate is such a typical feel good girls I have seen from 70s ( yes 1970s ). There also are some parts that reminds me of things I saw in Korean Manwha( manga ) in 1980s and 90s. The fact that such a young girls powering up to godly level in such a haste just feels implausible . Most characters lack complexity, as they seemed to come of a simple template form. Still there are good diversity of characters, which is a plus

+Animation: 12/15 - They were good in bursts. Movie was excellent, but TVA was meh..
+Music: 5/10 - Nothing memorable . Mostly "Standard" Mizuki Nana songs for OP. I have seen similar ED songs being rated badly in other anime series. I do not see any reason why similar songs be rated so badly in other series but be highly in this series. Still, "Standard" Mizuki Nana is awesome.
+Enjoyment: 12/20 - felt bit like a chore to watch it. It had enough to keep me watching, though. The another world aspect makes me interested in seeing further seasons of this series.

+Total: 62/100
+Episodes Watched: ALL
Last edited by maglor on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Cytrus
Translator
Translator
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Cytrus » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:46 am

+Story: 23/30 - Not much story to talk about, especially in the first season - just a young girl trying to come to terms with the existence of magic and do what she can for others. This doesn't sound good, except that with the characters involved you soon realize you would care for their problems even if the series was about baking bread or something and not blowing cities up... I do feel that more could have been done with the first and third seasons if their pacing were better, though.
+Characters: 23/25 - The heart of the series. With one J Saimoe champion and one ISML Tiara Holder in the ranks, it's obvious the characters here are not to be underestimated, but moe is not the only thing the series provides. Nanoha can simply be scary in her White Devil mode, Hayate makes for an awesome mother... there's a lot here to enjoy. Points off only for side characters who never get a chance to shine.
+Animation: 12/15 - The series is not that recent and might not have mind-blowing animation... but that's where the movies come in. Points averaged out.
+Music: 9/10 - Fine BGM, but props mainly for all the yummy Nana Mizuki and Yukari Tamura OP/ED/inserts. "Innocent Starter" is one of my favorite Nana songs.
+Enjoyment: 18/20 - Great, memorable fun. Probably one of the series leading up to Madoka, too. Just start with the movie instead of the first season, because while the story is the same, the first episodes of the first season are heavy on filler and trite developments until the series truly begins with Fate's introduction.

+Total: 85/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
+Episodes Watched: 72/72 + pat on the back
FF.net account:: Railgun, Higurashi/Umineko, Haruhi, L*S, HnG, Touhou...
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

Post by Bastion » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:19 am

Watched Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha the first two seasons because it seemed to basically be a foundation for ISML in the first place. Only didn't watch Strikers because I cannot for the life of me locate any of it (but I'd heard it wasn't that great, so was willing to set it aside). Couldn't find anything but the seasons 1 & 2 either.

Thought it was fairly decent in all catagories, and didn't seem to be overtroped (or at least early enough to provide the foundations for the tropes, rather than just repeditive), but it's in the stack with Shana for 'why are the characters seen as so moe?'
The villian of the first season was the only one I really thought had any real growth on-screen, the others just had things happen to them. The others just seemed to grow off-screen in jolts.
Jamie AB is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?
Confusing statements are fun :p
Medaka Kurokami wrote:People aren't meant to protect the rules, rules are meant to protect people
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... nner-1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]

ImageImage
*Puts Nagi behind the drums and Hinagiku at the front with the mike and a guitar*
Banners made by Midnight Jasper & Marinara
Kordosa wrote:I can just imagine all of the Hinagiku facepalming moments. That alone is worth it.
HnG chapter 333 pg 9 wrote:She (Hinagiku) realized an incredibly obvious but oft overlooked point: One had to read the manga before they could give their judgment of it.
ithekro wrote:Remember you aren't allowed to use your powers for evil.
With great power comes great responsibility
Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Tomoya Okazaki wrote:Can I beat you until you're motionless?
MegaTokyo wrote:Some of us are just a little more screwed up than others.
Saber (maglor) wrote:It is not how much, but it is where the king spends that tells what kind of king he is.
Rito wrote:Men don't decide whether they like someone or not based solely on breast size.
Kordosa wrote:Boy, I really need to learn to keep my questions to myself. It only makes things worse.
The lunatics around you are once again doing something to lower your opinion of human intelligence. ~Face Palm
Your sense of time tells you how much of your life has been wasted because you didn't take us at our word. ~Cracked.com
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Azu-nyan, Hina-chan, Aoyama-chan and Subaru-nyan-chan
JLoable91
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Izayoi Sakuya
Wish: Gotta nom 'em all!~

Post by JLoable91 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:19 pm

+Story: 16/30 - The story of the first season was a bit gamy (collect something in order to achieve goal) but the second season had a much better season (thanks to Hayate and co ofcourse). Strikers... well let's say I didn't really liked that one. Age jumps just don't work with all animes... (actually it barely works)
+Characters: 18/25 - Nanoha and Fate are good characters and the others aren't bad as well. I liked Hayate the most, but there it ends... no bad characters, no super good characters.
+Animation: 8/15 - The first season had some crappy animation sometimes but they got it right in A's and Strikers
+Music: 9/10 - I like the songs, they are very good. The BGM wasn't really all that memorable, but there were some good pieces.
+Enjoyment: 11/20 - I only enjoyed A's. The first season was average, but I disliked Strikers.

+Total: 62/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
+Episodes Watched: 72/72 (13 + 13 + 26)*
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Post by akumaxx » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:25 pm

CAUTION: Only Strikers watched: 26/52

+Story: 20/30
Let's see how Nanoha and Fate train new badass. Too bad it's studded with yuri.
+Characters: 18/25
Girls are not bad and one shota won't affect much.
+Animation: 12/15
At least fighting is good.
+Music: 7/10
I almost forget... there is nothing attractive.
+Enjoyment: 13/20
Again, Yurical Nanoha is no good, the newcomers may be better.

+Total: 70/100 for S3 only
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 0
Wish: Miracles

Post by RegalStar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:45 pm

+Story: 24/30 - The story is serviceable, but it's pretty basic. For all three of them, the plot goes where you expect them to go for the most part, with no real twist. Still, it's pretty exciting where it counts.
+Characters: 23/25 - This is where I liked about the series. Most of the characters are given a fair amount of focus, and I can't help but become connected with a lot of them.
+Animation: 11/15
+Music: 7/10 - Has some pretty piano-sque BGMs here and there. OP and ED are not worth mentioning, despite how they seemed to have fueled Nana Mizuki's success as a singer.
+Enjoyment: 16/20 - The great characters kept me hooked throughout watching, even though the plot isn't all that great. I should really go seek out the supplementary materials, which should be even better (no more worry for plot, but the characters are still there in their full greatness).

+Total: 81/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
+Episodes Watched: 52/52 (13 + 13 + 26)*
Last edited by RegalStar on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander
Translator
Translator
Badges:
Melon Pan: 92
Wish: It's a secret

Post by Alexander » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:18 pm

+Story: 25/30 - The story starts out pretty generic and slow but it gets better once Fate makes her appearance.
+Characters: 25/25 - I liked all the characters and the developmente they received was good.
+Animation: 15/15 - Animation for the time is good, Then the movie just makes it better.
+Music: 10/10 - MIzuki Nana and Tamura Yukari? Sure, give me more. OP and ED are really good. BGM is awesome.
+Enjoyment: 20/20 - I really enjoyed it, 1st one was a little slow, but then the movie solves that issue, A's was awesome, and StrikerS is just different, which doesn't make it bad.

+Total: 95/100
+Episodes Watched: 52/52 + Movie
ImageImage
Umi
Void mage
Void mage
Worships: Ichinose Kotomi

Post by Umi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Story: 17/30
Plot is average; standard mahou shoujo story about friendship etc.

Characters: 18/25
My memory is a little fuzzy since I watched this a few years ago but I remember liking Nanoha.
I also love Fate's backstory. The rest of the characters are not that memorable.

Animation: 10/15
The magic circles/sequences were well-done (but repetitive). The animation was pretty good at that time.

Music: 7/10
Not a fan of the OPs and EDs.
The inserts like Snow Rain, Brave Phoenix and Take a shot are way more awesome.

Enjoyment: 12/20
The first season was a pleasant experience although the pace was slow at times.
However, I dislike how they made Nanoha and Fate seem so weak in A's. It was exasperating to watch.
A's was more action-oriented but the plot felt rushed especially during the last few episodes so I didn't enjoy it as much.

Total: 64/100
Episodes Watched: 26/52 (Finished S1 and S2)
Eclairs
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Tamura Manami // Nagato Yuki // Aisaka Taiga
Wish: MUFC to win the treble of Premier League, FA cup and UEFA Champions league in the 2013/2014 season.

Post by Eclairs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Havent watch this, and i only will watch this if fate/nanoha or other MSLN girls make it to Stella division of ISML ( for preview write up purposes only ofc ) .
Thanks a lot to Hikari-Chan , Midnight-Jasper and ppizzapie for the awesome signatures and slivers.
"Take caution thy children, for thou art guilty of sin if thou does not fappeth to the lolis!" Bob 23:29-192
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:25 pm

Story: 25/30 - Given that this was the first magical girl show that I have watched (however sad it may sound like), I found the premise of the show to be quite interesting. While the plot was simple and the first few magical girl shows that gave me a general idea of how that show type works, I felt that the execution of the plot with the characters was spot on.
Characters: 20/25 - The strong point of the show. The development of Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate was well-executed and caught me off guard the most. Downpart was that there were a bit too many characters for me to follow, which somehow watered down the effects of other character's development.
Animation: 13/15 - Animation was pretty well executed in both TV series and Movie with clear CG of their magical powers.
Music: 9/10 - MIzuki Nana was awesome with her singing voice, as well as the various insert songs and BGM throughout the entire series.
Enjoyment: 18/20 - Overall, I really enjoyed this series, given it was my first magical girl show. The show was probably the main factor;contribution for the development of now popular magical girl show Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Total: 85/100
Episodes Watched: 52/52
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Re: Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

Post by Chocola » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Arcion wrote:The villian of the first season was the only one I really thought had any real growth on-screen, the others just had things happen to them. The others just seemed to grow off-screen in jolts.
That depends on who you consider the "villains" in A's are. The knights have a great deal of growth, but that's not who I consider the main villain is. That thing is just a blob appearing out of nowhere.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:09 pm

+Story: 15/30
If we're comparing MSLN to the typical mahou shoujo fare (i.e. not Madoka), then doubtless it has a great story. Personally, I enjoyed the politics/administrative stuff involved in the later seasons, which is part of the reason why I didn't totally dislike StrikerS. Besides that though, the story isn' t exactly inspiring.

+Characters: 19/25
Fate definitely underwent the most development of everyone, and Nanoha is a strong character. Hayate's group also got some developments, but most of the others are pretty one-dimensional.

+Animation: 8/15
Average. The movie has markedly better animation, but then that's a movie.

+Music: 7/10
I can't recall any music or songs except Little Wish Lyrical Step, so uh....

+Enjoyment: 10/20
Pretty middle of the pack. Not something I'd drop, but I've enjoyed other animes more than this.

+Total: 59/100
+Episodes Watched: 52/52

Rating: Average
SpoilerShow
Yakuman
Berserker
Berserker
Worships: Kurumi-sama *.*
Wish: more

Post by Yakuman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:20 pm

I haven't seen this, but the Mizuki Nana OPs are fantastic, so the music would receive a decent score for sure.
Hurry up and make a contract with me! ◕‿‿◕ ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
defeated but not forgotten favoritesShow
ImageImageImage
Materials used in the sig are courtesy of Marinara, ppizzapie, Hikari-chan and Annabloem
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:02 pm

KholdStare88 wrote:
Arcion wrote:The villian of the first season was the only one I really thought had any real growth on-screen, the others just had things happen to them. The others just seemed to grow off-screen in jolts.
That depends on who you consider the "villains" in A's are. The knights have a great deal of growth, but that's not who I consider the main villain is. That thing is just a blob appearing out of nowhere.
I didn't consider A's to have a villain. The book (not the characters associated with it) seemed to be the closest thing to one. A unique trait, but not one that was really allowed development.
The characters (knights) were closer to anti-heros (lancers) than actual protagonists, same with Fate during the first season.

That's most of the reason I want to find Strikers, I think much of Fate's change happened between the seasons (it wasn't until A's that I really started to enjoy learning about her character). Hoping the same could be said for Hayate & Gang between A's and Strikers, although they did some minimal growing (as above) before the season ended.
Medaka Kurokami wrote:People aren't meant to protect the rules, rules are meant to protect people
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... nner-1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]

ImageImage
*Puts Nagi behind the drums and Hinagiku at the front with the mike and a guitar*
Kordosa wrote:I can just imagine all of the Hinagiku facepalming moments. That alone is worth it.
HnG chapter 333 pg 9 wrote:She (Hinagiku) realized an incredibly obvious but oft overlooked point: One had to read the manga before they could give their judgment of it.
Saber (maglor) wrote:It is not how much, but it is where the king spends that tells what kind of king he is.
Rito wrote:Men don't decide whether they like someone or not based solely on breast size.
Kordosa wrote:Boy, I really need to learn to keep my questions to myself. It only makes things worse.
The lunatics around you are once again doing something to lower your opinion of human intelligence. ~Face Palm
Your sense of time tells you how much of your life has been wasted because you didn't take us at our word. ~Cracked.com
loudmouth
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Wish: To go to heaven

Post by loudmouth » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:22 pm

+Story: 23/30 -
It felt a bit standard, but it wasn't bad and it grew on me.
+Characters: 21/25 -
The main reason I watched this show in the first place was to see the characters. Most of the characters were average but Fate and Nanoha were great
+Animation: 9/15 -
I realize first it aired in 2004, but so did FMA. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't spectacular.
+Music: 7/10 -
I don't remember the background soundtrack very well, but I loved the opening song
+Enjoyment: 16/20 -
It wasn't the best show ever but I did like it a lot.

+Total: 76/100
+Episodes Watched: 18/72 (first season and some of the second)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:35 pm

Arcion wrote:
KholdStare88 wrote:
I didn't consider A's to have a villain. The book (not the characters associated with it) seemed to be the closest thing to one. A unique trait, but not one that was really allowed development.
The characters (knights) were closer to anti-heros (lancers) than actual protagonists, same with Fate during the first season.

That's most of the reason I want to find Strikers, I think much of Fate's change happened between the seasons (it wasn't until A's that I really started to enjoy learning about her character). Hoping the same could be said for Hayate & Gang between A's and Strikers, although they did some minimal growing (as above) before the season ended.
Yeah, the book is the villain, which in the end results in a huge blob monster which everyone fires lasers at. Not very impressive.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 0
Wish: Miracles

Post by RegalStar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:59 pm

A conflict doesn't need a villain. It just needs an antagonist, which would be the knights. Frequently antagonists are villains, but not so in A's.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 am

KholdStare88 wrote:Yeah, the book is the villain, which in the end results in a huge blob monster which everyone fires lasers at. Not very impressive.
No, no, the book is the closest thing to a villain, as has no apparent connection to the blob monster, the knights (and Fate in the first season) are closer to The Lancer in terms of their characters (even while playing on the opposite side), and the blob monster is Giant Space Flea From Nowhere outside of a gaming context.
Last edited by Bastion on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow

ImageImage
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:25 am

Which means the book is the villain, just like I thought.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage