[RATE] 9. Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi...

Nominations and other events occurring before the Main Tournament

Have you watched AnoHana?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:10 am

Yes!! All of it!!!
79%
I didn't finish it...
3%
No, I don't like fireworks
17%

Total votes: 29
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

[RATE] 9. Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi...

Post by Chocola » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:00 am

Welcome to the ever-so-exciting filler event between Nominations and Preliminaries! For 2012, we will be discussing the anime represented in our Preliminary Round. There are several goals that we hope to achieve through this event. For those who already watched the anime, they can offer good insight to each other about the anime. And for those who haven't, they can take the opportunity to review feedback and see if they are interested in seeing the anime in the future. Comments are optional, although we suggest that you leave concise, general comments and not an essay.

Please give short comments about each categories without going to specific spoilers. Revealing information from non-anime sources is prohibited.

Here's the format I want you guys to use, so please stick to it because I'll be using it to give an average for everyone. When the poll ends, you may still rate but the forum average may update. Also, please don't use the four point scale! If you really think the story is bad, don't give it 20/30, give it 10/30.

Anime: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai

+Story: 0/30 - comments
+Characters: 0/25 - comments
+Animation: 0/15 - comments
+Music: 0/10 - comments
+Enjoyment: 0/20 - comments

+Total: 0/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
+Episodes Watched: 0/11

IMPORTANT: You need to state how many episodes you've watched or else your rating will count for less!

You can interpret the categories however you like, but if you need help, here's a rubric of some sort:
explanation of categoriesShow
+Story: For most purposes, this is essentially plot. Anime where plot is not of main importance will still have a story, so you may rate on setting, premise, symbolism, or just how well the events flow into a...story.

+Characters: The main part of this category will be character development, although there are other aspects to think about such as likability, uniqueness, balance, interactions, dialogue, or even seiyuu casting and performance.

+Animation: This category consists of character design and animation fluidity, but you can include your own criteria -- maybe a certain scene is executed very well or the artistic techniques are special. If all fails, this is where you rate how moe characters are.

+Music: The reason this category is worth so little is that many anime watchers do not play close attention to music. In fact, we sort of take background music for granted, so it's okay just to rate OP/ED. But for some anime, music can play a huge role, good or bad.

+Enjoyment: Give us your subjective opinion of how you like the anime. If you don't know, rate it on if you would rewatch it or not.
If you dropped or haven't finished the anime, then you can still choose to rate what you have seen. If you haven't watched the anime, then perhaps you should not rate, but still tell us why you decided not to watch the anime (if there's a really good reason why). Don't pass this over as something complicated and time-consuming, however, because you should take between 1-5 minutes to do these! Any more and you risk including spoilers or including others' opinions that you may have read. We want this to be purely what you think, almost instinctively, because I believe it best reflects your own opinion.

Reward: 1 cookie

Let the fun begin!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
shiraoky
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: the rwby ladies <3
Wish: more time to laze around and have fun!

Re: [RATE] 9. Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi...

Post by shiraoky » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:12 am

+Story: 27/30 - I really liked the story of AnoHana. It was a bit sad, yet it had almost a nostalgic feel to it.
+Characters: 22/25 - There were some characters I didn't exactly appreciate, but the characters were incredibly realistic, and that was clearly revealed throughout the storyline.
+Animation: 13/15 - The animation was nice and cute.
+Music: 8/10 - The BGM's were really fitting in my opinion, and I thought the OP and ED songs were cute.
+Enjoyment: 20/20 - This was one of my favorite Spring 2011 animes. Glad I picked it up.

+Total: 90/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
+Episodes Watched: 11/11
Thanks to M-J for the beautiful sigs<3~!
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 0
Wish: Miracles

Post by RegalStar » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:22 am

+Story: 18/30 - The setting and premise is pretty nice. The story had a decent opening and a pretty good ending, but the middle progression was... arbitrary. Nothing particularly supported each other, nor do they support the overarching plotline. Almost like fillers except they're not. Seriously, even Angel Beats had a better progression.
+Characters: 20/25 - Most of them are pretty decent without being overly annoying, though they're not really memorable either. Menma is cute.
+Animation: 10/15 - I usually just try to keep the average same here since I don't know jack squat about animation quality, but I think an 8 is a bit too mean here.
+Music: 7/10 - OP is pretty good. Rest are mostly in "decent" territory.
+Enjoyment: 5/20 - If I actually found this show on my own, it wouldn't have been bad. Instead, nearly every single friend I had that watches anime tried to shove the series down my throat, and when the result ended up being a mostly mediocre show, finishing the whole series was almost a torturous experience.

+Total: 60/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
Last edited by RegalStar on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
JLoable91
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Izayoi Sakuya
Wish: Gotta nom 'em all!~

Post by JLoable91 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:43 am

+Story: 26/30 - For a slice of life with some fantasy, the story was pretty good... the drama had a good impact!
+Characters: 22/25 - I liked this whole character idea of childhood friends who'd meet again but went completely different ways in their lives. They were awesome!
+Animation: 15/15 - I adore this style of anime, just like in Toradora and now in Ano Natsu.
+Music: 8/10 - OP and ED were good, BGM wasn't that memorable
+Enjoyment: 19/20 - The first episode made me crazy, no really, I was highly impressed by that episode, and I was hooked till the end!

+Total: 90/100 (6th Favorite anime, only 5 do better)
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:03 am

+Story: 28/30 - Ghost story where all the important people gets to interact with the ghost. Painful past that bounded people in the past more than they themselves realized. progressive re-discovery of their own self and even the minor characters grow because of the whole experience. I don't think what was happening was random. Sure they tried something and made mistakes, just like anyone will do faced with unusual task. Their journey touched many people, revealed the flaws within themselves, but it made people admit their flaws in the end. Only potential flaw is that the story may be too peaceful and without much action, but action might be out of place given the situation. What the story lacks is due to the characters being too nice and good

+Characters: 23/25 - First was tempted to criticize the characters for being too nice and goody-goody , but then realized that normal people usually aren't too bad nor evil. All the characters have flaws. They had traumatic experience and still is struggling to find a way to deal with it. They envy each other, yet also cares for each other. No relationship is simple. No characters are flat. Even the side characters have their own issues that they need to overcome. The characters manage to grow a little after confronting their troubles. I think I am deducting points for the characters being too cute in their own ways.

+Animation: 12/15 - They served the purpose. Maybe there are some details I missed, but I thought it to be good in general
+Music: 8/10 - OP and ED were great. BGM were adequate.
+Enjoyment: 16/20 - There were moments when I felt the flow to drag, but I think it was necessary to spend some time in key moments to drive home the points later. I liked it a lot.

+Total: 87/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
+Episodes Watched: ALL/11
imbehindyou
Time traveler
Time traveler
Worships: Rena
Wish: Becoming Pokemon Master.  Wishes for: Becoming teh Master Hater.  Wishes for: James' Victreebel & Mime Jr. Secret Identity: I am a robot. 

Post by imbehindyou » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:23 am

+Story: 15/30 - slice of life... it's a bit hard to comment on the plot. But I didn't like how it was kinda dragged out in the middle when they could've shortened some parts and added more character development for not Jinta and Menma; after all, it is a character-driven show. :( Ending could've been done better.
+Characters: 18/25 - I found characters pretty realistic except for the parts that related to Menma. LIke, these characters all grow up and start to distance away from each other but they just can't forget Menma because she was the pretty and special girl. Umm.. no. Anaru was cute and she wasn't an annoying tsundere. +1 for me! Poppo's rather unbelievable happy-go-lucky, relaxed attitude made me think about his character and backstory and whatnot a lot but I wish he got more development. I was kinda disappointed with Yukiatsu b/c I felt Yukiatsu just ended up as lol comic relief character (whether the staff intended to do that or not) and a lot about him just went overlooked (at least for me :<) b/c of lol moments. Jinta wasn't very attractive for me. Menma was cute but that was about it.
+Animation: 10/15 - oh god, I really dislike teh character design (Reborn, HOTD, Toradora, Anohana, all blargahradslkfjald) but I really loved the op & ed sequence -- I like how the flowers change colors in the middle
+Music: 7/10 - I LOVE LOVE THE OP & ED.
+Enjoyment: 13/20 - I complained about dragged parts and whatnot but it wasn't boring. I cried a lot?

+Total: 63/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
Cytrus
Translator
Translator
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Cytrus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:40 am

+Story: 20/30 - Original premise, but the plot doesn't really know where it wants to go most of the time. More about emotion than the actual events.
+Characters: 15/25 - Mixed bunch. Made sense when they were angsting, but it got tiring when they did nothing else... Mr. Popo and and random cross dressing also cost points here.
+Animation: 10/15 - Adequate.
+Music: 7/10 - Good op, great ed. Remember nothing of the soundtrack.
+Enjoyment: 13/20 - Enjoyed it enough when it was airing. Probably will never rewatch.

+Total: 65/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
FF.net account:: Railgun, Higurashi/Umineko, Haruhi, L*S, HnG, Touhou...
YagamiHayate
Combat butler
Combat butler
Badges:

Post by YagamiHayate » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:09 am

+Story: 16/30 - A pretty good idea for an anime but ultimately I found it to be pretty poorly executed. Started pretty well, but towards the end it almost felt like the show was trying too hard. It was definitely attempting to make me feel sad with a lot of dramatic scenes, but for me it completely failed in this department mostly due to said scenes being mostly forced and unnatural. In fact in the last episode, I think I was laughing at some scenes instead of being sad. Honestly, there are quite a lot of anime out there which I thought handled the theme of moving on from death and such better than Ano Hana was able to.

+Characters: 16/25 - Uhh... none of the characters really stood out much for me. My favourite was probably Tsuruko, but even then I can't really say I liked her. There wasn't any character which really annoyed me either though. Character development seemed kind of lacking in my opinion; was probably neglected a bit in favour of progressing the plot.

+Animation: 12/15 - Decent, but nothing amazing. I'm not a fan of the style (not really liking it in Ano Natsu either).

+Music: 8/10 - Good OP, great ED, average BGM.

+Enjoyment: 10/20 - I was actually enjoying this quite a bit early on. Dragged a bit towards the end, then finished off with heaps of drama which had minimal impact on me, which limited how much I could enjoy this.

+Total: 62/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
xcrossfacekillahx
Incubator
Incubator
Worships: Rosario Cross
Wish: A very good tournament and more cookies. Moehood to reign

Post by xcrossfacekillahx » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:02 pm

+Story: 15/30 - It had a good enough ending but then it really lacked some action for a story full of drama. I see this as a character driven show but sometimes there are just story parts that dragged for too long. Things happened at random.

+Characters: 18/25 - It was Menma really but there are characters, because of their issues made them likeable.

+Animation: 12/15 - Decent, but nothing amazing. I'm used to the style of Toradora, Ano Natsu so there.

+Music: 7/10 - Good OP/ED, not so good BGM

+Enjoyment: 12/20 - Sometimes, the flow really drags out and that it's hard to rewatch again. Like Regalstar, some of my friends are shoving me this just like they did with Hanasaku Iroha although I discovered this on my own.

+Total: 64/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Post by akumaxx » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:11 pm

+Story: 25/30
What else? One of the shows of "Cry if I can".
+Characters: 19/25
Except the supernatural Menma and anything related, they all act as in real life.
+Animation: 10/15
Average. Maybe just enough of this type?
+Music: 8/10
In-show BGMs are not noticed, but I enjoyed ED a lot.
+Enjoyment: 13/20
Somwhow dragging IMO. Glad that it goes into NoitaminA 11-eps slot. ...wait, some extra content?

+Total: 75/100
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow
Umi
Void mage
Void mage
Worships: Ichinose Kotomi

Post by Umi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Story: 26/30
The plot was brilliant. It was a simple tale about their childhood.
With the remaining memories they had of Menma, I thought it was beautiful the way the gang reconciled and tried to grant her wish; to make amends. In a sense, Menma wasn't simply a ghost, she was the ghost from their past.
I like the fact that some of them had ulterior motives for doing so which makes everything not so pure and innocent.

Characters: 20/25
Eh I dislike Yukiatsu with a passion. However as much as I dislike him, I do recognize his importance in the story and find him pitiful. In fact I pitied all of the characters.

Animation: 12/15
Fluid animation with a handful of good scenes. I think they did a particularly good job with the ending.

Music: 9/10
The OP is decent. The ED is amazing. It's made for the series.

Enjoyment: 16/20
Any anime that makes me cry is a good anime. That is all.

Total: 83/100
Episodes Watched: 11/11
loudmouth
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Wish: To go to heaven

Post by loudmouth » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Melodrama at its finest

+Story: 22/30 -
Melodrama has always seemed like a dirty word to me. It isn't necessarily a bad thing sometimes but when people talk about being melodramatic it's rarely a good thing. Anohana wasn't bad, but sometimes it went over the top with the melodrama.
+Characters: 19/25 -
Again, the characters weren't bad, but there were problems that I had with them. The development of some characters felt extremely forced, almost like they forgot to do it until very late in the series, but for the most part it wasn't terrible.
+Animation: 13/15 -
It was definitely pretty. It would've had my vote for best of the season had it aired in the winter, but spring had some tough competition. Nonetheless it was very good
+Music: 8/10 -
Also good. Especially the ending song
+Enjoyment: 17/20 -
I enjoyed Anohana a lot. At the time it was my favorite anime of the year (and then the summer season started), but looking back it had several things wrong with it.

+Total: 79/100
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Game8910
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Worships: Nakagawa Kanon
Wish: Athena gets really popular in the future, also TWGOK S3

Post by Game8910 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:22 am

+Story: 19/30 - It wasnt bad, but there was too much focus on the retarded triangle with Anaru and Menma, I've seen the childhood friend lose before but never against someone that is not even alive anymore. Also the entire first half was pretty pointless seeing how easily Menma could've proved to everyone that she was there. The drama was so forced it hurts. If they had only toned down the whole Anaru "woe is me I cant win against Menma" angle and focused more of slowly unraveling the mystery of Menma's wish (which btw was also disappointing), I would've enjoyed this MUCH more.
+Characters: 15/25 - Apart from Popo, everyone was such a drama queen it was downright embarassing to witness (specially Anaru). I dont mind drama but the way AnoHana blew it out of proportion was just bad. The character development for the cast was also weak, I could blame the 11 episode length but a lot of the first half was rather pointless so they wasted a lot of time.
+Animation: 13/15 - Not bad at all
+Music: 9/10 - The only thing about this show I honestly and genuinely loved. KIMI TO NATSU NO OWARI...
+Enjoyment: 13/20 - One of the most overrated series of last year imo, weak drama and character development. I would say this is the Angel Beats equivalent of 2011...a series that could've benefited from more episodes, yet a lot of people actually seemed to buy into the drama they tied to play out.

+Total: 69/100
HeartClover
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Worships: Audrey Hepburn
Wish: adventure

Post by HeartClover » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:25 am

Story: 24/30
The concept is why I actually watched it, and the plot was really great, especially at the beginning. But the melodrama in the later episodes, ugh. And I agree with Game8910 about Anaru.

Characters: 20/25
Well, I liked Menma, Tsuruko, and Jintan. I hated Yukiatsu, Anaru was meh, and Poppo was okay. Menma had an impact on me, but the series was too short for a lot of charcter development. To be honest, I don't have much attachment to these characters.
Animation: 13/15
Good. The scenery was lovely, the characters were pretty good too.

Music: 9/10
The ED was amazing, that's mostly what got AnoHana such a high mark. The OP was alright, the BGM was pretty good too.

Enjoyment: 18/20
I loved watching AnoHana. I cried and smiled and there were some heartwarming moments. But I wish some parts of it weren't so filled with melodrama.

Total: 84/100
Thanks to my lovely Emjayfor the sig~
Cross
Assassin
Assassin
Worships: Madoka
Wish: me to be in an anime.
All-time Favorite:
Tachibana Kanade

Post by Cross » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:33 am

+Story: 30/30 - The story made me not to drop it.
+Characters: 25/25 - I love them all. I love Super Peace Busters!
+Animation: 13/15 - I kinda dislike the animation.
+Music: 10/10 - I can feel the emotion in the song.
+Enjoyment: 20/20 - I enjoyed it but I cried so much.

+Total: 98/100
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Support ISML + My All-time FavoriteShow
ImageImage
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Story: 29/30 - Genuine execution of a group of tries trying to get their ties together once again after an unfaithful event that cost them their dearest friend.
Characters: 24/25 - Each character played their role almost perfectly. Each felt real enough that one can understand them enough to be in their shoes.
Animation: 15/15 - Highly detailed and flawless animation of scenery and flashbacks
Music: 10/10 - ED was awesome; it was the series.
Enjoyment: 19/20 - Highly enjoyed the emotional ride of the characters and their attempt to make it up after everything had happened.

Total: 97/100
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:46 am

+Story: 21/30
Ano Hana's story is really nothing complex, so as with most such drama series, its selling point is the execution. It delivered decently. While you can say it proceeded horribly slow, watching as the gangs progressed through the events and being gradually privy to their inner secrets worked well to keep me wondering what will happen next. At times, Menma's existence feels a bit contrived, but it's at a level where disbelief can be suspended.

+Characters: 22/25
The character dynamics is the show's strength. Throughout the anime, everybody gained their fair share of development that very clearly shows by the ending point. Some get more development than others (sucks doesn't it, Poppo), but all of them are multi-dimensional characters in their own right.

+Animation: 12/15
Generally very fluid. Although it wasn't as shiny as the Hana Saku Iroha that aired right along it, to me its animation felt more alive.

+Music: 8/10
I support Secret base for the best ED song of the year award.

+Enjoyment: 13/20
As much as the drama felt poignant during crucial moments, sometimes it's laid on so thick every episode that I just get numb to it. In the end, I still think the first episode is one of the better ones, if not the best, in the series.

+Total: 76/100

Rating: Very good
SpoilerShow
Midst
Zealot
Zealot
Worships: Kamio Misuzu
Wish: Pass all my **** classes XP.

Post by Midst » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 am

+Story: 26/30
It's one of those beautiful old spirit story, which a dead person's spirit comes back and does his/her last job. The story is about the importance of kizuna (絆) - people's relationships, and how big it can affect us. I really like the message the author trying to convey that we should not easily give up our relationships, in particular, friendship, because of some misunderstandings. Just like other anime, there are some illogical story developments that I cannot just simply ignore.

+Characters: 19/25 -
The best part of the character development is the dynamic change of Atsumu and Chiriko. Anaru is a very fantastic character. Her reactions and honesty pull a trigger and make the story fluid. However, I don't see the importance of Memma except her wish. Her reaction after she seen her family could have done better.

+Animation: 12/15 -
There are some flaws even I can find. Girls are not pretty! PERIOD! LOLOL. WHATEVER, IT'S NOT THOSE KIND OF "SERVICE" ANIME. Overall, the quality is good.

+Music: 10/10 -
It seems everybody had pointed out the ending theme was great. Yes, to me, the ending theme was second to third best anime song in 2011 (behind MSMM ED: Magia and probably MEMORIA). I have to praise the opening theme. Come on. How often do you hear an anime song by male singers. 青い栞 gives me a very energetic feel, which corresponds to the background of 超平和バスターズ (peaceful busters? Sorry I did not watch the English subs) that they were children 10 years ago. Trust me, the song itself is very good.

+Enjoyment: 18/20 -
There are a lot of affecting moments especially in the last episode when those friends gather together and be honest to each other. I believe that is what we lack in the reality. Dishonesty really creates a lot of problems. This has to be the greatest moment in the anime.

+Total: 85/100
Jeffrey-sama
Soul gem
Soul gem
Wish: K-ON! Season 3

Post by Jeffrey-sama » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:27 pm

+Story: 24/30 - a tear-jerking, emotional drama that reinforces the importance of friendship. there were some questionable parts of the story, but overall, i felt it was very interesting and moving.
+Characters: 22/25 - the characters were developed exceptionally well throughout the episodes.
+Animation: 12/15 - the artwork was softer than in usual anime and it matched the general mood of the show really well.
+Music: 9/10 - the ED was, in my opinion, the best one of 2011. BGM was fitting. OP was quite good.
+Enjoyment: 18/20 - one of the better 2011 anime. i enjoyed watching it a lot.

+Total: 85/100 (you must add up your 5 scores since this is a statistical rating)
yukiTomoyo
Zealot
Zealot
Worships: Natsumi Rikako
Wish: the animation of Rewrite.

Post by yukiTomoyo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 am

+Story: 27/30 - A nice story although it's a bit sad. It reminds me of the beautiful time I have with my dearest friends.
+Characters: 20/25 - All of them have grown in this summer especially Anaru and Chiriko. I like Chiriko's personality. And Menma's appearance as a ghost is outstanding.
+Animation: 12/15 - Good although have some points to improve.
+Music: 8/10 - ED is great.
+Enjoyment: 18/20 - I see many heartwarming scenes. It's wonderful.

+Total: 85/100