Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Orihime Inoue
Melon Pan: 60
Wish: For sugar to not be unhealthy, and campaigning to be easier

Re: RESULTS: 2014 Prelims I-2

Post by Desufire » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:09 am

People always say stupid things about certain characters being clones of characters they like because of one similarity. Pay no mind its always ridiculous unless you're talking about Shana clones
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 0
Wish: Miracles

Post by RegalStar » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:14 am

Even "Shana clone" is a ridiculous notion. There are tons of differences between Nagi and Taiga and Shana (and probably Louise, but I don't know ZnT well)
Progeusz
Befriender
Befriender
Worships: Watashi
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: [email protected] 2011 characters

Post by Progeusz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:23 am

"Clone" isn't used to say "100% the same" in such phrases. Just "sharing visibly more similarities than it is usually the case". But no, you have to bitch about literal meaning even though it's obvious I wasn't using it.
Those aren't "stupid things". You're just unable to comprehend what they mean because anything going beyond the absolutes is too much for you.
Also, you're delusional if you think it's just "one similarity".

@RegalStar, Nagi isn't a Shana clone. She's just one of four tsundeRies, great roles of Kugyuu or however you want to call them. Louise, Taiga (and Kanzaki H. Aria) are referred to as Shana clones.
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by Desufire » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:54 am

You listed two things. Avoid ad hominem attacks for fear of making yourself look like an idiot
Jiharo
Void mage
Void mage

Post by Jiharo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:57 am

Progeusz wrote:"Clone" isn't used to say "100% the same" in such phrases. Just "sharing visibly more similarities than it is usually the case". But no, you have to bitch about literal meaning even though it's obvious I wasn't using it.
Those aren't "stupid things". You're just unable to comprehend what they mean because anything going beyond the absolutes is too much for you.
Also, you're delusional if you think it's just "one similarity".

@RegalStar, Nagi isn't a Shana clone. She's just one of four tsundeRies, great roles of Kugyuu or however you want to call them. Louise, Taiga (and Kanzaki H. Aria) are referred to as Shana clones.
I don't think anyone mentioned that the word Clone is used to say 100%.

Having huge similarities is one thing, opinions might differ between people but do talk it out nicely.

For me if something is really similar, I'd use the word replica and not clone. I feel that if another character holds like 80% of the same character traits as one character, I'd call her clone. Anything above that(like behavior-wise etc....) I'll call it a replica.
Progeusz
Befriender
Befriender
Worships: Watashi
Wish: [email protected] 2011 characters

Post by Progeusz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:18 am

No, I listed three things which are siginificant (what's more important than voice, character and appearance?) and broad in case of latter two. Again, you're showing your inability to think and imply that just because I didn't post a huge list, I can't call Tsukiko a Toki clone. It's not just me. Most of people I know who watched both Saki and HenNeko made the connection. Absurd amount of moe potential in both characters was also importont (but well, you could say it's a combination of things I listed previously). The main reason for Tsukiko's AST hype was Toki's win in previous year because of how similar they were. "Toki can't win because of champion's curse? No problem, Neko Toki will get the crown."

You have no right to complain about ad hominem because you're the one who started and continues to do so.
>People always say stupid things
>Pay no mind its always ridiculous
>making yourself look like an idiot

@RegalStar, it wasn't outright stated but such a fierce reaction from Desufire happened for a reason, don't you think?
"Clone" is just a commonly used term, M&A lingo. Rei clones, Shana clones and so on. As long as people talking realize the word isn't used literally, I don't think there's anything wrong here.
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by Desufire » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:30 am

It was meant to be hypocritical to prove a point. Also there's noth
ing 'fierce' about any of my posts in this thread. Lol. Quit while your behind
Zefyris
Gnome
Gnome
Worships: Midarezaki Kyouka
Wish: ISML 2015 Nova Division to have at least one character I favor.

Post by Zefyris » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:15 am

Most of the time characters that appears to be clone appears as such because of a seiyuu that didn't took the time to voice said character differently from another one, or because the anime studio making the adaptation thought that it would sells more that way ImO.
For example for the above "shana clone" it's merely a problem on the anime side. If you look at the original work, you won't think they're clone at all. In other words, it's due to Kugimiya's miss.... Or a studio decision, maybe.
Bear in mind that most of the characters you're calling clone are from light novels(or at the very least, manga). In the anime, lots of characters from LN lose a lot of development and originality.

You refer to Taiga as a Shana clone, which, as someone who read the Toradora LN, find highly funny. I had a long discussion before on anther board about Taiga where I clearly defended (successfully, after a long debate) my point about Taiga not even being a real Tsundere in the LN version. While it can be discussed, and ImO both opinion can stand their ground, it doesn't change the fact that you could never argue this with Shana.
Talk about a clone.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:04 am

I tend to use the word 'clone' to mention how the two characters have a single similarity. I think I used to call Nibutani a Hina-clone because of their characteristic hairclips. After having seen both animated series, they have almost nothing else in common. Same with Ririchyo, who uses some of Hina's dialogue in the anime and has a similar relationship to a servant.
I've also used the term to compare Medaka to Hina, while Medaka is practically her opposite in bust and animal attractiveness (one's the worst type of pettanko and the other loves showing off, one has complete magnetism, shown with people more, and the other actually makes fierce ones run away scared), they're far to alike in almost every other aspect to consider them different characters, in the anime and manga versions.

To me 'clone' is a general term which reaches both ends of the spectrum, and I usually only use it to decide to vote for one candidate over another, considering the term nothing more than a descriptor to apply similarity. So I don't have a problem with Taiga being called a 'Shana clone'. She's still a unique character, but there are commonalities between them, some you just don't have to look so hard to find.