Please check the current version of the charter and give us comment.
The Annual Charter complements the ISML Constitution in defining values, schedules, additional limitations, etc. that have not yet been addressed. This allows ISML to be slightly different each year (keeping things exciting) while also retaining consistent core values.
I. General Rules & Outline
A. ISML 2019 will consist of: the Main Tournament (Section IV.), the Tournament of Champions (Section X.), Seasonal Tournaments (Section XI.), and Exhibition Matches (Section XII.).
B. ISML 2019 will be held across a total of Thirty-three (33) match days (excluding Nomination Phase). The amount of match days each phase of the tournament will take will be specified on Section XIII.
C. A match day will consist of a voting phase and result announcement.
1. Voting phase will be held as scheduled (see Section XIII.) and will run for Twenty-Four (24) hours. Staff may extend this time if system errors prevent votes from being submitted during this period. All extensions will be reported on the Website.
2. Voting will be held on https://www.internationalsaimoe.com/voting
3. Detailed Policies & Procedures of voting phase are explained in Section II.
4. Result for each match day will be announced approximately Thirty-Six (36) hours after the end of each voting phase, unless decided otherwise.
D. As constituted by Article I Section 4. of the ISML Constitution, ISML Commissioner and delegated Technical Staff will preside over ISML 2019 during the course of its duration, with authorities and duties as described on the ISML Constitution. These two parties will be referred as one term "ISML Staff" in this charter.
II. Voting Policies and Procedures
A. The IP addresses of voters will be logged in order to verify ballot authenticity and voter uniqueness.
B. Voters are obliged to obey the Policies stated in Article IV of the ISML Constitution.
1. Voters may not submit multiple ballots in the same round (e.g. using multiple IP addresses).
2. Voters may not submit ballots using proxy IPs.
3. Voters may not engage in bribery, blackmail, aggressive intimidation, or similar unethical activities.
4. Voter may not engage in any other activities forbidden by the laws of their respective country/domicile. ISML, our Commissioner, and all of our Staff are not responsible for the actions of our users.
C. ISML Staff reserve the right to decide whether a violation of the procedures has/has not happened.
D. ISML Staff reserve the right to exercise punishments to Parties that are deemed to have violated procedures as constituted on Article IV of the ISML Constitution.
E. Voters may change their vote (if cast in error) by contacting the Staff by email at [email protected]. Vote change requests must include the IP address from which the vote was cast and/or the vote id given at the confirmation page when a ballot has been submitted (page after vote is send), the original incorrect vote, and the requested new vote.
F. Voters may abstain from any match in a given round, but a ballot must have a minimum number of votes to be considered valid. This value differs depending on the round and will be specified on each voting ballot.
III. General Rules of Eligibility & Qualification
A. Character eligibility will be checked according to Article III of the ISML Constitution,.
B. Consideration of female gender (for entry into Female Division/any other Female-based tournaments) includes: the character is female, possesses a female form (in which case only the instances when the character is female shall be considered), or must regularly exhibit feminine qualities when the character's gender is unknown or cannot be determined.
C. Consideration of male gender uses the same qualification as Section III.B. except with regards to male and masculine characters.
D. A character who qualifies as both male and female may enter one division only. The staff will consider the following points in their decision:
1. The amount of screen time the character gets as each gender.
2. The character's personal identity.
E. ISML Staff reserve the right to deem any avatar-type character ineligible for the Main Tournament.
1. We define "avatar" as any entity, virtual or otherwise, that is controlled by a distant conscience.
2. An avatar may be eligible in the following cases:
a) His/her status as an avatar has not been revealed in the anime adaptation.
b) The character only appears as an avatar; i.e, the controlling conscience is never revealed or does not have a corporeal form.
c) The avatar gains, or regains, his/her own individual conscience.
F. Qualification for the Main Tournament will take precedence over all other tournaments except Tournament of Champions (see Section X.).
IV. Main Tournament
A. The Main Tournament will consist of a series of Group Stages and Post-Season Elimination Stage (See Section VII & IX.).
B. The Main Tournament will follow schedule as explained on this website unless decided otherwise (See Section XIII.).
C. The Main Tournament will be divided into two Divisions: the Female Division and the Male Division.
1. The Main Tournament's format and schedule are identical for both Divisions.
D. Characters participating in either Division are known as Contestants. Each Division consists of Seventy-Two (72) Contestants.
1. To be eligible for the Main Tournament, a character must have first appeared before 31 December 2018. Any character data occurred after said date are not eligible for the Main Tournament.
2. Participants of each Division will be selected following the result of Nomination phase that will be held prior to the Main Tournament (Section VI.).
D. Across the duration of the Main Tournament, Seven (7) Gem Necklaces/Pendants will be distributed to the Contestants who are deemed to have performed the best on each phases of the Group Stage.
1. The names of the gems are: Aquamarine, Topaz, Amethyst, Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, and Diamond.
2. The mechanism that will be used to distribute the Gem Necklaces/Pendants will be ruled on Section VIII.
E. At the end of the Main Tournament, the winner of the Female Division will be awarded the Heavenly Tiara and the winner of the Male Division will be awarded the Champion's Scepter, and both will be declared as Champions of ISML 2019.
V. Automatic Qualification
A. The Two (2) finalists from each of the ISML 2018 Seasonal Tournaments are permitted entry into the ISML 2019 Main Tournament. This is a total of Eight (8) entrants.
B. Any winner of a 2018 Necklace or Pendant is permitted entry into the ISML 2019 Main Tournament, provided he/she is not participating in the Tournament of Champions. This is a maximum of Twelve (12) additional entrants.
C. All contestants who qualify via these two methods will receive rankings above participants who qualify via nomination count.
VI. Nomination Phase
A. The Nomination Phase lasts seven (7) days (see Section XIII).
B. The Female Division, Male Division, Winter, and Spring Seasonal share a single character nomination form.
1. Voters may nominate up to Twenty (20) characters each.
2. At least Five (5) eligible anime franchises must be represented on the ballot.
3. At least Two (2) female and Two (2) male characters must be included on the ballot.
4. At most Three (3) characters from any given series or franchise may be nominated on the ballot.
5. No character may be nominated more than once on the ballot.
6. All nominations have equal weight. There is no ranking of nominations in each ballot.
C. As ruled by Section III.F, characters who are eligible for the Female Division will first be considered for the Female Division, even if the intent was to nominate them for the Winter Seasonal. Only if they fail to qualify for the Female Division will they be considered for the Winter Seasonal.
D. Invalid nominations on a ballot will be discarded individually and will not void the ballot unless any discard results in that ballot being in violation of Section VI.B., in which case that ballot will be voided.
E. At the end of the Nomination Period, the characters with the most nominations for each Division will advance into the Main Tournament until the allotted slots are filled.
1. The number of allotted for each Division is Seventy-Two (72) minus the number of automatic entries permitted in Section IV.
2. The following sequence of tiebreakers will be used to break ties in favor of the character(s) who fits the stated description:
a) Characters who have never appeared in any ISML Main Tournament, Regular Season, or Preliminary phase.
b) Characters with the most years removed from an ISML, taking into consideration only appearances in Main Tournament, Regular Season, or Preliminary phase.
c) Characters with the most years removed from an ISML, taking into consideration only appearances in Main Tournament or Regular Season.
d) Characters with the latest appearance in a TVA episode, OVA release, or movie release. Re-broadcasts, re-releases, and re-screenings are not taken into consideration.
e) If a tie persists, the Staff will choose the character(s) they believe will perform the best.
VII. Group Stages
A. The Group Stages will consist of Seven (7) Stages.
B. The amount of Contestants for each stage will be as follow:
1. The First Stage will have Seventy-Two (72) Contestants.
2. The Second Stage will have Sixty-Four (64) Contestants.
3. The Third Stage period will have Fifty-Six (56) Contestants.
4. The Fourth Stage period will have Forty-Eight (48) Contestants.
5. The Fifth Stage will have Forty (40) Contestants.
6. The Sixth Stage will have Thirty-Two (32) Contestants.
7. The Seventh Stage will have Twenty-Four (24) Contestants.
C. On each Stage, Contestants will be split into Groups of Four (4). Contestants in the same Group will compete with each other in a round-robin format.
1. The number of matches in a Round will vary depending on the number of Groups on each Stage.
2. Each Contestant will have exactly One (1) opponent per Round.
3. Each round will be done on a single, specific match day. Technical rules of each match day follows Section I., while schedule of each match day follows Section XIII..
D. At the end of each Round, the Contestant who received the greater number of valid votes in his/her match will be declared the winner of that match; the opposing Contestant will be declared the loser. If opposing Contestants have an equal number of valid votes, their match will be declared a draw: both Contestants will record a tie in their statistics, and no overtime match will occur.
E. A ranking system for each Group will be utilized to record the Contestants' results in each of the Seven (7) Periods.
1. The following iterative process will be used to update the rankings within a Group: the highest available rank is given to the Contestant who satisfies the following conditions, applying each subsequent condition only among tied Contestants.
a) Greater number of cumulative wins and draws, in which a draw will be counted as half (1/2) the value of a win.
b) Winner of the tied Contestants' head-to-head match, if applicable
c) Greater Cumulative Vote Point Difference (CVPD) value
d) Greater Cumulative Vote Point (CVP) value
e) Selected by Staff
F. At the end of each Stage, after all tiebreakers have been applied, Contestants who have performed well will advance to the next Stage.
1. After the First Stage, the top Three (3) Contestants in each Group will advance. The 4th ranked Contestants will collectively be subjected to an Approval Voting match. The top Ten (10) Contestants will advance, while the rest will be eliminated. This additional match is known as a Wild Card Match and will occur alongside the Necklace and Pendant Matches (See Section VIII.).
2. After the Second Stage, the top Three (3) Contestants in each Group will advance. The 4th ranked Contestants will collectively be subjected to an Approval Voting match. The top Eight (8) Contestants will advance, while the rest will be eliminated.
3. After the Third Stage, the top Three (3) Contestants in each Group will advance. The 4th ranked Contestants will collectively be subjected to a Range Voting match. The top Six (6) Contestants will advance, while the rest will be eliminated.
4. After the Fourth Stage, the top Three (3) Contestants in each Group will advance. The 4th ranked Contestants will collectively be subjected to a Single Transferable Voting (STV) match. The top Four (4) Contestants will advance, while the rest will be eliminated.
5. After the Fifth Stage, the top Three (3) Contestants in each Group will advance. The 4th ranked Contestants will collectively be subjected to a Single Transferable Voting (STV) match. The top Two (2) Contestants will advance, while the rest will be eliminated.
6. After the Sixth Stage, the top Two (2) Contestants in each Group will advance. The 3rd and 4th ranked Contestants will collectively be subjected to a Range Voting match. The top Eight (8) Contestants will advance, while the rest will be eliminated.
7. At the end of Seventh Period, after all tiebreakers have been applied and final group rankings decided, Sixteen (16) Contestants will advance into Post-Season. The order of entry will be as follow:
a) Top Two (2) Contestants in each group will advance as highest seeds.
b) Any contestants who are the top Two (2) in Necklace/Pendant Showdown qualifying rank for the Seventh period, determined by VIII. D, among the six contestants that finished third in their group, will advance as the next order of seeds.
c) The remaining Contestants will collectively be subjected to a Single Transferable Voting match, from which a number of highest-ranked Contestants will advance to Post Season to reach the quota of 16, as the last order of seeds.
d) The remaining Contestants from Diamond Period are eliminated, but will enter a series of Consolation Matches, and their respective seeding for these matches decided from their result on the previous Single Transferable Vote match.
G. After each Stage, all advanced Contestants will be re-seeded according to their results in prior Stages before being allocated to their respective Groups.
H. Other statistics may be posted and kept for study and analysis.
VIII. Necklace and Pendant Showdown
A. At the end of each Stage, there will be a Necklace Showdown for the Female Division to determine the winner of the Necklace for that Period. The Male Division will have a similar Pendant Showdown.
B. Only one Necklace and one Pendant will be awarded per Stage.
C. Contestants who win a Necklace or Pendant are ineligible for later Showdowns for the remainder of the year.
D. A total of Eight (8) Contestants from each Division will participate in a Necklace/Pendant Showdown based on their performance during the relevant Stage. For each slot, the slot will be filled by the eligible Contestant who satisfies the following conditions, applying each subsequent condition only among tied Contestants.
1. Highest ranking
2. Greater number of cumulative wins and draws, in which a draw will be counted as half (1/2) the value of a win.
3. Greater Cumulative Vote Point Difference (CVPD) value
4. Greater Cumulative Vote Points (CVP) value
5. Selected by Staff
E. Alongside the Necklace/Pendant Showdown, an Approval Voting match will be held to decide which gem will be distributed to the winner of Necklace/Pendant Showdown of this Stage. The gem with highest approval points will then be distributed for the stage, and the remaining gems will be used for later Stages.
F. The voting round will last twenty-four (24) hours.
1. Voters will rank the Contestants in each of the Showdown matches.
2. Exhibition Matches (See Section XII.) will be scheduled alongside the Necklace and Pendant Showdowns.
G. At the end of the Round, the winning Contestants, as decided by an Instant-Runoff Voting system, are awarded the Necklace and Pendant.
1. Ties are resolved in favor of the Contestant who was ranked highest on the most ballots. A continued tie will be broken using the number of second-highest ranks, and so on.
2. If the tie still persists after that, the same procedure as the one used in the Main Tournament will be used to break it (See Section VII.E.).
H. Round results will be available on the Website no sooner than thirty-six (36) hours after the Round's scheduled end.
I. Posters for the Necklace and Pendant winners will be available on the Website no later than one (1) week after the Round's results are released.
IX. Elimination Stage
A. Sixteen (16) Contestants from each Division are seeded according to their performances in the prior Stages. The 1st round will feature the following matches based on seed: 1st vs 16th, 8th vs 9th, 4th vs 13th, 5th vs 12th, 2nd vs 15th, 7th vs 10th, 3rd vs 14th, and 6th vs 11th.
1. Contestants advance through the bracket according to traditional single-elimination rules.
2. If opposing Contestants have the same number of votes at the end of an Elimination Round, the Contestant who had won their previous head-to-head match during the Group Stages will be declared the winner. If that match was also a draw, or did not occur, the higher-seeded Contestant according to the initial Elimination Stage seeding will be declared the winner.
B. Eliminated Contestants will be seeded into the Consolation Brackets, which are a series of 1 vs. 1 matches that will determine the final rankings from third place to last place. These matches will take place during the Elimination Rounds at the earliest possible opportunity.
X. Tournament of Champions
A. The most recent Eight (8) champions, per division, of ISML will participate in a side tournament to be held during the 2019 Main Tournament. This tournament is referred to as the Tournament of Champions.
B. Tournament of Champions will be held across a series of matches in a round-robin format, in which a minimum of Two (2) contestants with the most wins will then go into Final.
1. In case of a tie for second place, then all Champions that are involved in the tie will qualify for Final
C. Tournament of Champions Final will be a Range Voting match among all finalists. The winner of that match will be crowned winner of Tournament of Champions.
D. Characters participating in the Tournament of Champions are ineligible for the 2019 Main Tournament.
E. Past champions who fall outside of the Tournament of Champions bracket are eligible for the Main Tournament
XI. Seasonal Tournaments
A. Each Seasonal Tournament will have a separate nomination period (except Winter and Spring. See Section VI.).
B. Characters must satisfy the following conditions to be eligible:
1. The character has appeared in an anime series after 31 December 2018.
2. The character did not qualify for the 2019 Main Tournament.
3. The character was not eligible for any of the previous four (4) Seasonal Tournaments.
4. The character fulfills any other requirements of eligibility that may be constituted by ISML Staff.
C. The same guidelines ruling eligibility for the Female Division (Section III.D.2.) and eligibility of avatars (Section III.E.) apply to all 2019 Seasonal Tournaments.
D. Qualification for a Seasonal Tournament is based on two factors.
1. Characters with more nominations have an increased chance of qualifying.
2. Characters who have less nominations than a different character from the same series has a decreased chance of qualifying.
E. No series will be allowed more than three (3) characters in a Seasonal Tournament.
XII. Exhibition Matches
A. Exhibition Matches are official ISML-hosted events designed to raise awareness of anime series that are not represented and Japanese media characters who are not participating in the Main Tournament. The matches may focus on anime series airing after the Nomination Period had begun or on other outlets possibly previously unknown to members of the Community.
B. Exhibition Matches have no effect on the Main Tournament, unless an exception for a specific match is announced at least one week before the start of that match.
C. At least one Exhibition Match will be scheduled during each Round of the Group Stages.
D. Exhibition Matches may be scheduled during the Necklace and Pendant Showdowns.
E. Several Exhibition Matches will be scheduled during the Elimination Rounds.
A. All dates in this section will be published on the Website for easy access by the Community.
B. All dates are subject to change. ISML may change the schedule without updating this section of the document; however, any and all changes must be published on the Website as early as possible.
C. The Nomination Phase is scheduled from 1500 GMT, 5 July 2019, to 1459 GMT, 12 July 2019.
1. This period will be extended if system errors prevent nomination submissions for more than twenty-four (24) cumulative hours.
2. Result of Nomination Phase will be announced approximately seven (7) days after the end of the phase.
D. The Main Tournament is scheduled from 26 July 2019 to 15 December 2019.
1. All matches in this period are scheduled to start at 1500 GMT on the dates reported on the ISML Calendar.
2. Group Stage - First Stage will take place from 26 July to 8 August.
3. Group Stage - Second Stage will take place from 13 August to 26 August.
4. Group Stage - Third Stage will take place from 31 August to 13 September.
5. Group Stage - Fourth Stage will take place from 18 September to 1 October.
6. Group Stage - Fifth Stage will take place from 6 October to 19 October.
7. Group Stage - Sixth Stage will take place from 24 October to 6 November.
8. Group Stage - Seventh Stage will take place from 11 November to 24 November.
9. Elimination Stage will take place from 29 November to 15 December.
A. The information presented on the website, including but not limited to biography information, statistical history, and copyright information, is not guaranteed to be completely accurate. ISML, including its staff and owners, cannot be held legally liable for any harm caused by the use or misuse of information contained within the pages located on the internationalsaimoe.com domain.
B. The names of all characters and Japanese productions featured on the Website do not in any way belong to ISML. All copyrights and intellectual property belong to their respective owners. Images are used for identification purposes only.
C. During vote-checking, Staff shall not show any favoritism to any Contestant during the validation process. Once voting results are released for a match, a member of the Community may appeal the results within twenty-four (24) hours. Once an appeal is accepted by the ISML Commissioner, the Staff will repeat the validation procedures and make any appropriate adjustments. After twenty-four (24) hours have passed, the result is final and cannot be changed.
D. While the Staff will attempt to enforce the Voter Policies as strictly as possible, situations may occur where not all votes in violation of the Policies will be detected or where voters banned for Policy violations discover alternate methods to submit votes. The Staff will work to the best of their ability to minimize the occurrence of these situations.
E. All scheduled dates and times are subject to change without prior notice. However once changed, the Community will be notified on the Website.
F. Each year, ISML and the Staff attempt to present a fair system of matches. The Staff will ensure their best, honest, and virtuous effort to arrange a respectively even schedule for all Contestants without bias or favoritism or discrimination.
G. The Staff is authorized to delay the start of the voting session should any problems arise due to technical issues or other areas of concern. In such cases, the Staff are allowed to delay the end of the voting session and the release of results.
A. Once approved and published, the contents of this document shall not be altered. It may only be amended, in which amendments may update or supersede the statements in this document.
B. Amendments may be suggested by any member of the Community and are subject to approval by the Staff and Commissioner at any time during the course of the tournament.
C. Approved Amendments must be reported on the Website.
Nominations and other events occurring before the Main Tournament
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- ~Fukou da~
- Posts: 8600
- Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm
- Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
- Melon Pan: 75
- 2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
- 2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
- 2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
- 2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
- Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.