14 Yui

6 Yuki
11 Kyou
--
7 Azusa
10 Tomoyo

2 Hinagiku
15 Kagami
There are some exciting match-ups in the first round, like the same-record Haruhi v. Saber, and same-series Mio v. Yui. Which are the matches to watch closely? And given the look of the bracket, what can we predict for later rounds? Will any of the lower seeds (except for maybe 8 v. 9) have a chance at an upset?

I'm a bit bummed to see Shana, Taiga, and Mikoto all on the same side of the bracket (it means they can't possibly go 1st-2nd-3rd)

The top side bracket has 4 JC Staff and 1 KyoAni, and the bottom side bracket has 7 KyoAni and 1 JC Staff character. That's a pretty interesting split.

Only half of last year's post-season qualifiers are returning, and of the new qualifiers, 5 are total rookies. Who is going to going to surprise us?

I'm excited~
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2020 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2020 Male Favorite: Ishigami Yū
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
Wish: My definition of peace and tranquility.

Re: First Round Matchups

Post by Momento10 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:51 pm

I wonder if we are ever going to see anything like what Konata did at 2008.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:41 pm

First round doesn't look like it'll be a problem. Possibility/Probability of Hinagiku vs Azusa for the second round T_T
Jamie AB is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?
Confusing statements are fun :p
Medaka Kurokami wrote:People aren't meant to protect the rules, rules are meant to protect people
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... nner-1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]

ImageImage
*Puts Nagi behind the drums and Hinagiku at the front with the mike and a guitar*
Banners made by Midnight Jasper & Marinara
Kordosa wrote:I can just imagine all of the Hinagiku facepalming moments. That alone is worth it.
HnG chapter 333 pg 9 wrote:She (Hinagiku) realized an incredibly obvious but oft overlooked point: One had to read the manga before they could give their judgment of it.
ithekro wrote:Remember you aren't allowed to use your powers for evil.
With great power comes great responsibility
Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Tomoya Okazaki wrote:Can I beat you until you're motionless?
MegaTokyo wrote:Some of us are just a little more screwed up than others.
Saber (maglor) wrote:It is not how much, but it is where the king spends that tells what kind of king he is.
Rito wrote:Men don't decide whether they like someone or not based solely on breast size.
Kordosa wrote:Boy, I really need to learn to keep my questions to myself. It only makes things worse.
The lunatics around you are once again doing something to lower your opinion of human intelligence. ~Face Palm
Your sense of time tells you how much of your life has been wasted because you didn't take us at our word. ~Cracked.com
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Azu-nyan, Hina-chan, Aoyama-chan and Subaru-nyan-chan
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2020 Female Favorite: Holo
2020 Male Favorite: Natsume Takashi
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:42 pm

Momento10 wrote:I wonder if we are ever going to see anything like what Konata did at 2008.
The closest equivalent event to Konata beating Haruhi and Shana would be Nakano Azusa beating Mio and Shana. It can happen if the timing is right.
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:47 pm

Here's hoping for some epic assassinations similar to how Horo nearly owned Shana in DE1 of last year.
SpoilerShow
hinakatbklyn
Incubator
Incubator
Melon Pan: 55

Post by hinakatbklyn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:04 am

Looks like all the dangerous challengers (Hina, Mio, Azusa) are on one side, while Shana and 2 high level characters with a moderate chance at winning the tiara (Mikoto, Taiga) take the other side of the bracket.

- Hina/Azusa could be a very interesting matchup if it happens (Too bad I have to pick sides, but I look for Hina to continue on).

- Taiga/Mikoto: A rematch from Aquamarine. Taiga has become much tougher now than in their first match this year, but if Mikoto could beat Yuki (no easy task) maybe she can do it again. (But will Shana supporters get involved in this match should this match take place?) For Taiga to reach Mikoto however she has to contend with Nagi. Sounds easy for Taiga, but Nagi is looking to make the most of her time in DE by pulling an upset.

- Haruhi/Saber: Another aquamarine rematch, Saber is looking for her first win, Haruhi is looking to get out of her postseason slump with only 1 win in 2 tries. Regardless of who wins (Except for an epic upset), the winner will get Shana.
maglor wrote:
Momento10 wrote:I wonder if we are ever going to see anything like what Konata did at 2008.
The closest equivalent event to Konata beating Haruhi and Shana would be Nakano Azusa beating Mio and Shana. It can happen if the timing is right.
I would think Azusa could end up being the lowest seeded with the potential to get close to or outright win the tiara.
Last edited by hinakatbklyn on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage

Post by Momento10 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:10 am

It looks like Hitagi chose the wrong day to play with Shana, unless she plans on winning it. Saber and Haruhi is going to be a fun match to watch. Taiga should be able to defeat Nagi. The same can be said with Mikoto over Nadeko. The Mio and Yui match-up is basically asking which K-ON!! girl do we prefer. Yuki should be able to beat Kyou. Azusa should have no problem beating Tomoyo as long as the next few K-ON!! episodes do not make her look bad. Finally, as much as I like Kagami, that girl has no chance of defeating Hinagiku unless the LS faction decides to wake up and do something about this.
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:45 am

Interesting how many newbies made it this year compared to last year. Two completely untried girls (Hitagi and Nadeko) made top 16 and three others newcomers to ISML (Yui, Mio, and Azusa) also made it to the top. Also the rather epic return for Mikoto compared to last year. Last year she did fair, but not all that good, and only Taiga managed to be the newcomer/newbie to make the Finals.

In 2008, while all were newcomers to ISML, it was three Clannad girls (Kotomi, Kyou, and Tomoyo) that were the newbies that made it to the top.
Space Opera
amdrag
Cherry blossom
Cherry blossom
Wish: a lack of zetsuboushita.

Post by amdrag » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:43 am

hinakatbklyn wrote:- Haruhi/Saber: Another aquamarine rematch, Saber is looking for her first win, Haruhi is looking to get out of her postseason slump with only 1 win in 2 tries.
Slight correction: Haruhi's 2-4 all time in the playoffs (08: Beat Mai, lost to Yuki, lost to Konata; 09: Beat Shinku, lost to Yuki, lost to Kagami). Anyway, my thoughts:

#1 Shana vs. #16 Hitagi

Last year, Shana rolled to the #1 seed, then survived a surprisingly tough challenge from #16 Holo. Will history repeat itself? Um... no. Hitagi wasn't hitting on all cylinders at season's end like Holo was, and there's just not enough anti-Shana voting out there to make a difference... yet. (In fact, with Fate's dramatic elimination, there might be a minor bump in anti-Hitagi voting.) Shana will roll, while Hitagi will fall to Saber on the losers' side.

#8 Saber vs. #9 Haruhi

Saber finished Diamond 7-0, while Haruhi finished 5-2, so Saber's the easy favorite, right? Not so fast. Saber's schedule was pretty favorable, as her 'god-tier' opponent was Kyo, the 11 seed. Her only other ranked opponent was #16 Hitagi. Haruhi's schedule was quite a bit tougher, with her losses coming to #7 Azusa (who's about as strong as a 3 or 4 seed right now) and #4 Mikoto. Saber won the first round on the first day of the season, but I think she's weakened juuuuuust enough for Haruhi to get her revenge. A Saber win wouldn't shock me, but I have to go with Haruhi being the one who gets to lose to Shana. Saber will tame Hitagi in losers' though.

#5 Taiga vs. #12 SZ Nagi

Nagi's performed pretty well to this point. I'll pick her to win a match in the Losers' bracket, but Taiga is Taiga. There is no reason for this to be all that close. Taiga should roll into the Winners' Bracket quite easily, and I think she'll beat Mikoto.

#4 Mikoto vs. #13 Nadeko

Nadeko's draw is about as bad as she could hope for. She's going to lose to Mikoto, then she'll face the same Nagi who just beat her. I don't think Nadeko will survive that encounter. Mikoto's got an easy win before she deals with Taiga. She does own a win over Taiga, but that was back in Aquamarine. I think enough time has passed where Taiga's my pick to make it into the winners' semifinals out of this group.

#3 Mio vs. #14 Yui

If you're a Mio fan, you must be disappointed with the lack of a #1 seed. However, you have to be happy that you have the red-hot Azusa with a chance to take care of Hinagiku before your girl has to face her. Mio will advance easily, while I think Yui's got a good chance to avoid an 0-2 elimination when she faces Kyou.

#6 Yuki vs. #11 Kyou

Yuki, Yuki, Yuki. I don't think she's as strong as she once was, but she'll still be strong enough to win this match... before getting destroyed by Mio. Kyou is going to have her hands full with Yui in the Losers' Bracket, and I have to go with Yui in that match.

#2 Hinagiku vs. #15 Kagami

Kagami has no chance in either this match or the Tomoyo match in the Losers' Bracket. I think this is the last we'll see of Lucky Star in the ISML playoffs. But Hinagiku... man, she's got a tough draw ahead of her...

#7 Azusa vs. #10 Tomoyo

Azusa will beat Tomoyo. Tomoyo will beat Kagami. Those sentences were about as exciting as the matches will be. The big money match, though, is Azusa vs. Giku. I think Azusa's got a real shot, but Hinagiku's jumped back up in strength enough where I think she'll survive the test from Azu-nyan.
Stocking's gonna need to see your f*****' hands at the concert.
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage

Post by Momento10 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:51 am

I do not know where to say this, but I will say it here. When writing down the matches for Post-Season, do we have to write a small quote under them?
If we do,Show
Shana vs. Senjōgahara Hitagi - "Once this is over, will he still look at me with those caring eyes?"
Saber vs. Suzumiya Haruhi - "My pride is on the line ... I can't falter just yet."
Aisaka Taiga vs. Sanzen'in Nagi - "It is not about strength or money anymore..."
Misaka Mikoto vs. Sengoku Nadeko - "This time ... I'll prove to you just how far I've gone."
Akiyama Mio vs. Hirasawa Yui - "This is one performance where I have to give it my all."
Nagato Yuki vs. Fujibayashi Kyō - "Can I change the past ... just one more time?"
Nakano Azusa vs. Sakagami Tomoyo - "Now is the time ... I have to be serious."
Katsura Hinagiku vs. Hiiragi Kagami - "For my friends' sake..."
Wolfnagi
Necromancer
Necromancer
Worships: Sanzen'in Nagi
Wish: Want Nagi to win this year ISML....
And 1 Million bucks....

Post by Wolfnagi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:05 am

This sucks.......
Taiga vs Nagi would always = Taiga pawning Ojou-sama......
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hachiko
Heavenly Tiara
Heavenly Tiara
Worships: Kaname Madoka
2020 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2020 Male Favorite: Agatsuma Zen'itsu
2019 Female Favorite: Kaname Madoka
2019 Male Favorite: Azusagawa Sakuta
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Hikigaya Hachiman
Wish: An awesome 2020 ISML.

Post by Hachiko » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:41 am

Azusa will look to prove that her regular season defeat to Tomoyo was a fluke. This could be an upset special if Sakagami plays her cards right. Otherwise, I think form will follow here, with the top seeds moving on.
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Post by Crisu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:28 pm

Momento10 wrote:I do not know where to say this, but I will say it here. When writing down the matches for Post-Season, do we have to write a small quote under them?
A quote is not necessary.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Game8910
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Worships: Nakagawa Kanon
Wish: Athena gets really popular in the future, also TWGOK S3

Post by Game8910 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:09 pm

Hinagiku needs to get snipped early for the sake of no repeat-winners, I also believe Mio's fans will be using Azusa to try to take out Hinagiku ASAP and to avenge her loss in Diamond. The last thing Mio fans want is Mio vs Hinagiku again, also because if it comes down to Azusa vs Mio...we know who is coming out as the winner.

If people want to take out Shana early, then I have a feeling that Haruhi would have a better chance at it than Saber. So if Haruhi beats Saber and Shana beats Hitagi, Haruhi vs Shana could end up being closer than most people think. If they cant use Haruhi, then pray that Mikoto gets far because in a Kugimiya Rie match, Shana's chances of winning are always higher.

For those looking to take out Mio, Yuki Nagato is the perfect character for that. She is already strong enough herself that a little tactical voting can easily overcome Mio. But if Mio is taken out early I truly believe Azusa will plow through the winners bracket.

That basically covers those who have the best chance of winning D.E, the darkhorses are Azusa, Taiga, and maybe Mikoto. But if they really want to claim victory, they have to avoid going up against their counter-parts in Shana and Mio. And if they do end up together, then pray for a miracle to happen.
hinakatbklyn
Incubator
Incubator
Melon Pan: 55

Post by hinakatbklyn » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:47 pm

Even though I would prefer Mio over Azusa, I'm beginning to think Mio doesn't want to face Azusa either. At this rate, it could be close between Hina/Azusa and Mio. I doubt anyone else on their side will come close to taking those 3 out without a change in votes.

Haruhi has had bad luck after the first round so I doubt she would stand a chance against Shana. On Shana's side of the bracket, roughly 300 votes separated Shana from her closest competitor Mikoto. It may be in Shana's best interest for Taiga to eliminate Mikoto before that happens if by chance Mikoto can power up any more. Shana is the likely representative on her side.
cobrabrandy22
Mahou shoujo
Mahou shoujo
Worships: Rei Ayanami
Wish: To be truly happy

Post by cobrabrandy22 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:21 pm

I thin both Yui and Yuki are going to do pretty good maybe not win it all but at least rank high up on the list or at least I can hope so.
ilkaid
Paladin
Paladin
Worships: Furude Hanyū
Wish: More free time

Post by ilkaid » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:42 pm

I can't see Shana losing until she comes up against whoever wins out of Mio/Yuki/Azusa/Hina.
But I can't help thinking back to this time last year when Shana nearly lost to Holo.
I would like Shana/Taiga/Yuki to win it all, but I have a feeling Azusa is going to come out on top.
ichocoX
Imouto
Imouto
Worships: Nagato Yuki
Wish: I wish for a good year for Yuki

Post by ichocoX » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:46 am

maybe we can gather fans to make Taiga and Yuki win xD Because out of all of them i want (obviously) Yuki to win, but Taiga would be cool too. It'd be nice to see Yui in 3rd place too =P
Kiopi
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Worships: Mari Illustrious Makinami

Post by Kiopi » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:20 am

SHAFT characters are getting the shaft here. Hitagi and Nadeko would not likely make it past the first round losers bracket. The chances of Nadeko getting the upper hand over Nagi is like close to zero percent. I'm hoping that with a smaller character pool and the absence of the necklace race, voting behavior might change and Nadeko gets a small boost enough to make it past Nagi (ang get slaughtered by either Saber or Haruhi...meh).
Supporting:
  • Bakemonogatari: Oshino Shinobu ♦ Sengoku Nadeko ♦ Senjōgahara Hitagi
  • K-On!: Akiyama Mio ♦ Nakano Azusa ♦ Hirasawa Yui
  • Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai: Kashiwazaki Sena
  • Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?: Eucliwood Hellscythe
  • Haiyore! Nyaruko-san: Nyarlathotep
  • Kyōkai no Kanata: Kuriyama Mirai
  • Hyōka: Chitanda Eru
  • Mondaiji: Kurousagi
Cassiopeia
Combat butler
Combat butler
Worships: Tennos "A-tan" Athena

Post by Cassiopeia » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:52 am

oh god.. Hitagi will be out in a first round. :( well I hope she comes back in the loser's bracket. The best and most likely scenario for me is tiara for one those (Shana, Hina, Mikoto or Azusa)
Image Credit to Awesome Hikarin <3 ISML2011 FINAL <3